Bored at work so I figured I would start a thread to keep track of my wheel build progress. This isn't a DIY but feel free to ask any questions and i'll try to point you in the right direction. Gonna do this a little different than most as far as pics go, since everything is shot with my iPhone and uploaded to photobucket. No Nikon or flickr here
After running some 19" VMR's for about two years, I figured it was time to switch things up a bit.
I traded the VMR's for some MK6 Jetta SEL wheels to use over the winter.
After browsing the internet for a few months I finally pulled the trigger on a set of 3-piece 17x8/9 et35 Desmond Koenig Specials from VR Wheels. I liked the style of this particular wheel since it had a clean old school 5 spoke design much like O.Z. futuras. The faces and center caps are only slightly different and these do not have step lips. I never heard of Koenig Specials, so I did a little research. Turns out they are a german tuning company that specialized in Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW and Lamborghini tuning back in the 80's, so I figured they would fit nicely on a VW. They still have a website: www.koenig-specials.com and I assume they are still in business today. There are quite a few videos of their creations on youtube if your interested. The wheels themselves are made in Japan by Desmond, but the faces are stamped modia. I believe these were their original wheels that later got replaced by a similar design made by SSR. They also had wheels made by O.Z. which were the same as the pegasus.
After recieving the wheels from UPS, I was pissed to find that one of the barrels was cracked and another one had two bends in it.
After talking with Jack at VR Wheels, he gladly had the two damaged wheels shipped back to CA and replaced the cracked barrel with another used barrel and fixed the bends in the other free of charge. Great customer service!
About two weeks later the repaired wheels returned. The new barrel was covered with baked on brake dust and road grime, so alot of scrubbing with scotch pads and simple green was needed.
While I was waiting for the damaged wheels to return, I started splitting the other two and began to clean them up
After heating the center caps in a toaster oven, I was able to seperate the pieces. The part that surrounds the emblem is made from machined aluminum and the clearcoat is flaking. I'll be sanding and polishing these.
Meanwhile, I ordered some new 90 degree valve stems with TPMS adaptors
Some other parts that came in: 14x1.5 wobble bolts from ECS Tuning and 73-57.1mm hubcentric rings from Summit Racing
Heres a little test fit of the valve stem with the TPMS installed. I need to drill out the valve stem holes in the barrels a little bit since they are a tad to small.
Next up was to order some metal polish for the lips and bolts. I ended up going with Gliptones Liquid Metal polish since I had good luck with their products on my billet wheels back in my minitruckin days.
So I started polishing up the wheel bolts after a good soak in some simple green. The bolts are chrome plated so not to much work was needed to shine them back up.
The wheels originally were drilled with a 5x114 bolt pattern for 12mm Lug studs. In order to bolt them up to the hub, they needed to be drilled out to accept a 14mm bolt but also needed to allow the wobble bolts to "wobble". So I took them to a machine shop and had them drill the holes out to 16mm and enlarge the cone seat to fit the bigger bolts.
Decided to do a little test fit in the rear to see how much they would poke.
Figured it was a good time to purchase some tires to keep me motivated. After reading some reviews and looking at pictures of stretched tires in different sizes, I purchased four Nitto Neo Gens in 205/45/ZR17.
I decided to do a little mock up for ****s and giggles. Trying to decide what to do with the center caps. Exposed lugs, original caps, or make some flat caps? I really wanna keep the KS logo since the Koenig decal will be gone after the new color goes on. Gotta keep em legit somehow.
And a picture of how much the rear will stretch.
So next on the list is to strip the paint off the faces and drop them off at my brothers shop for some paint. Im kind of leaning towards a silverish gold at the moment, inspired by the MK6 jetta wheat biege color. The barrels will be repainted in a gloss black as well. I really need to get crackin on polishing the lips now too. They dont have any rash but do have some light to medium scratches and a little pitting. I started sanding one of the lips with 220, than 320. I plan to go 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 than polish with a mothers powerball mini. The lips have a hard clear coat on them which I found is very time consuming to sand off with 220 so im gonna try some paint stripper on them first. More pics and updates will follow as the progression continues.