Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else wish they would've got an automatic?

Vehicles
      2008 GLI
      04-12-2012 06:05 PM #36
      Nope, but that's just me

04-12-2012 06:28 PM #37
      manual all the way --- 2 MKV Wolfsburg Edition both in Manual

wouldn't mind trying DSG but thought i might get bored with it...

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: 2006 Volkswagen GLI.[Past: '83 Datsun 280zx, '96 Honda Prelude, '97 Eagle Talon Tsi]
      04-12-2012 06:42 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by EricPro View Post
      men drive manuals
      Really? man, that's a downer. There's this really cute blonde chick that i was planning on askin' out this Friday, but seein' how her car is a manual... she's probably a man. Thanks though you saved me from an awkward evening
      18x8.5 VMR VB3, 8380 Laboratories Coilovers//Stage II (DEI Wrapped Autotech Intake,Techtonics Tuning Downpipe, GIAC Tune), New South Gauge & Vent Pod//Euro Switch, Euro GTI Front Lip, Euro Tails (Rear Fog Enabled), Painted Yellow FTP bulbs, Color Matched side markers Timeline

Vehicles
      05.5 VW Jetta 2.5, BMW E36 Vert
      04-12-2012 06:57 PM #39
      DSGs queef when they shift.

Vehicles
      '08 BMP GTI (Gone) '06 UG GTI
      04-12-2012 07:56 PM #40
      3 pedals are better than 2.

Vehicles
      2009 GTI Autobahn
      04-12-2012 08:16 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaGT8V80 View Post
      anyone who says that is just dumb

you are right i wasn't thinking straight about the weight thing

and the real men drive manual is funny, i don't believe hummers in iraq are manuals nor are tanks jus sayin
      you would stand corrected about iraq.. however... I ask you this..

How manly would it be IF they DID drive manual while dodging bullets?
      It would be too manly. Too much manliness for one person to handle. Hence why they do not have that option.
      Stage 2+ APR ... SwitchSpeed Air ... 18"x8.5" SSR KOENIG MONSTER wheels, Gold ... R32 Rear ... Jetta Chrome Front

@EricPro

Vehicles
      2008 GLI
      04-12-2012 08:19 PM #42
      This thread needs moar manliness

Vehicles
      1999 Audi A4 Quattro
      04-12-2012 08:28 PM #43
      i like when chicks drive a stick
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Wheel gap on VW's is much like a girl. If you can fit three fingers than it's not a keeper.

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      04-12-2012 09:17 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by ABASILK View Post
      3 pedals are better than 2.
      2 are quicker than 3.
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

Vehicles
      2001.5 Audi S4 6spd Quattro Stage 3
      04-12-2012 09:29 PM #45
      3 pedals all day long. I don't care which one is faster, smoother, easier, longer lasting, cheaper, anything. I enjoy driving with 3 pedals a lot more than 2, and at the end of the day, thats all that matters!
      Instagram: Ozzker / Das Parts

Das Parts -- https://www.facebook.com/dasvwparts

Vehicles
      08 Rabbit
      04-12-2012 09:33 PM #46
      wouldnt mind a DSG, but I like to play with my knob at stoplights
      Replica wheels are like fake boobs. They look good on the outside, but when it comes to quality, Nothing beats the real thing.
      Instagram: BriarGW
      YOLO is GAY
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Mkv View Post
      Low and slow my friend.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 VW Jetta GLI 6MT
      04-12-2012 09:40 PM #47
      Ive had 2 b5 A4's both manual, a turbo saab 9-3 manual, and now my jetta. I also have had a supercharged grand prix, trailblazer, and clk320 all auto. BY FAR, more more fun driving manuals. Im on my 7th car at age 20

Vehicles
      '12 GTI '14 Jetta
      04-12-2012 10:07 PM #48
      i had an DSG before liked it but i would chose a manual over a automatic any day
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      IMO the best place for mounting a euro plate is in the trash.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      04-12-2012 10:20 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by peskyrabbit View Post
      wouldnt mind a DSG, but I like to play with my knob at stoplights
      I do this all the time. I'll be sitting at a stop light and just go through the gears while I wait. My friends always look at me weird and I just tell them I love to play with my stick

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 New Beetle Convertible, 1990 Jetta GLI, 1968 Beetle, 2009 VW Jetta GLX, 2008 Airbus A330-200,
      04-12-2012 10:24 PM #50
      I'm going to most likely be shot for saying this, but I seek out automatics....

- All of my VWs have been automatic, with the exception of my Corrado G60, which was a 5-speed. My first Jetta was a 1987 Jetta Carat and it had the trusty old 3-speed automatic...not the quickest car in the world, but it did it's job.

- My 1990 Jetta GLI (that my parents bought brand new in 1990) is a bit of a strange beast....it was built as a GLI, with all the GLI equipment (Heated Power Recaro seats, MFI, Sunroof, A/C, Power Windows, Locks, Mirrors, Cruise Control, Spoiler Lip and Ski Sack) Here's the big kicker....it was built with a 1.8L Digifant engine. Adding to the confusion...Canada never got the Jetta GLI in 1990...it was the GTX.

Before everyone starts telling me that I'm full of crap and don't know what I'm talking about...save it. I have the build certificate from the car, the factory letter that states the production date, option codes and destination dealer...it all adds up. Also keep in mind I worked for VW Canada...one of my first abuses of company computers was searching the history on my car...turns out that there were about 26 vehicles that were misbuilt in Wolfsburg and they were shipped to Canada and sold to various dealers at a deep discount. At the time, VW had started ordering vehicles using an electronic system called VAUDSK (Pronouned "fo-disk"....early on the database didn't have the capability to restrict options to trim levels...so an order could be generated for a Jetta Carat with wonky options that are technically not feasible. Eventually the system matured and these issues were resolved...but some vehicles slipped through the cracks.

Getting back on topic.....

I have found that the 6 speed automatic is one of the best automatic transmissions VW has ever made - although I believe it's actually made by Aisin and not VW.....compared to the AG4 automatic that was used in the early MkIIIs and MkIV, this transmission is leaps and bounds ahead. I remember my Mom's 1998 Jetta GLX was so slow to shift...her 1999 New Beetle was awful....going from reverse to drive took like 3 or 4 seconds...if you rushed it, the engine would spool up and then crash into gear.

I find that as much as I enjoy driving stick, for my commute and overall flexibility, an automatic makes more sense.

My next car will be DSG.....after having had an Audi A3 with DSG for a while, I know it's something I want in my next car.
      ---
      My Other Car is an Airbus A321-200 (Powered by CFM56 Engines)

Technology that performs. Values that endure. A car that invigorates, never isolates. That's the Volkswagen approach to German Engineering.

Vehicles
      2008 CW R32 & 2000 Grand am
      04-12-2012 10:41 PM #51
      From experienced vw enthusiasts who know what there talking about. Does the DSGs come with problems or is it a solid tranny?
      EURO NATION MEDIA///

Facebook l flickr l YouTube

IG jpmay_R32 euronationmedia

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 New Beetle Convertible, 1990 Jetta GLI, 1968 Beetle, 2009 VW Jetta GLX, 2008 Airbus A330-200,
      04-12-2012 10:47 PM #52
      Regarding DSG reliability....early versions had issues with the valve body failing. I know that when I worked for VW, around the time I left to start with the airline, the DSG issues were requiring the dealer I worked at to keep both a DSG valve body and DSG transmission on hand.

That being said, that was many years ago and the transmission has now matured to the point that all dealers have had experience working with the transmission, VW has improved the way that service and manufacture of the transmission is performed and I think the fact that VW offers the transmission in so many models is a testament to the faith they have in the transmission. Keep in mind...if VW is building a failure prone product, they are going to pay for it one way or another....be it through warranty, lemon law buyback, lawsuits, etc...so it's in their best interest to refine the product to a level of reliability that will minimize the expenditure that they are responsible for as the manufacturer.

I would buy a DSG equipped vehicle without so much as a second thought.
      ---
      My Other Car is an Airbus A321-200 (Powered by CFM56 Engines)

Technology that performs. Values that endure. A car that invigorates, never isolates. That's the Volkswagen approach to German Engineering.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      ’95 Audi 90, ’07 GTI
      04-12-2012 10:52 PM #53
      I have the DSG in my GTI. All my previous cars were manuals, and I do wish that I had bought the GTI with a manual. The DSG works great 99% of the time -- it is very smooth and shifts faster than I ever could, and it is great fun on twisty roads. But once in a while it can be a little unpredictable... and when that happens it bugs the hell out of me! Also, I don't “race” with the GTI, so the difference in gear change speed would be not a big deal for me.

Vehicles
      2008 GTI EURO conversion
      04-12-2012 11:00 PM #54
      I like to drive my car instead of a computer doing it for me. Plus Vin Diesel drives manual

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 11:06 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by nikedsk View Post
      I like to drive my car instead of a computer doing it for me. Plus Vin Diesel drives manual
      There's a computer that will steer my car and apply throttle pressure? How do I activate this? Using this feature would make it a lot easier to double fist a few brews on my way to the bar.
      // Open Road Tuning

Vehicles
      2008 GTI EURO conversion
      04-12-2012 11:12 PM #56
      There's a computer that will steer my car and apply throttle pressure? How do I activate this? Using this feature would make it a lot easier to double fist a few brews on my way to the bar.
      ive driven automatic for years, just switched to manual. yes i actually feel like im driving the car now. Because I can feel the car and am more aware of it.

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 11:14 PM #57
      ive driven automatic for years, just switched to manual. yes i actually feel like im driving the car now. Because I can feel the car and am more aware of it.
      I still have to pay attention when I drive my automatic though. How do I activate the computer to do it for me? I'm really confused on this feature. Is it in the manual?
      // Open Road Tuning

Vehicles
      2008 GTI EURO conversion
      04-12-2012 11:19 PM #58
      I still have to pay attention when I drive my automatic though. How do I activate the computer to do it for me? I'm really confused on this feature. Is it in the manual?
      Not to the car tho. I feel you confusion. I was confused too when i drove automatic. then I switched and everything was cleared up

Vehicles
      08 Rabbit
      04-12-2012 11:19 PM #59
      Replica wheels are like fake boobs. They look good on the outside, but when it comes to quality, Nothing beats the real thing.
      YOLO is GAY
      Low and slow my friend.

Vehicles
      2008 GTI EURO conversion
      04-12-2012 11:22 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by peskyrabbit View Post
      ahahah

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 11:23 PM #61
      Not to the car tho. I feel you confusion. I was confused too when i drove automatic. then I switched and everything was cleared up
      I don't have to pay attention to the car? But I still have to steer? And apply theottle pressure? And use the brakes? I'm confused.
      P
      // Open Road Tuning

Vehicles
      2008 GTI EURO conversion
      04-12-2012 11:28 PM #62
      I don't have to pay attention to the car? But I still have to steer? And apply theottle pressure? And use the brakes? I'm confused.
      P
      Damn bro ur hella confused aha

Vehicles
      08 Rabbit
      04-12-2012 11:29 PM #63
      P
      no man, he clearly states that the computer drives the car for you. Does this feature only come with DSGs?
      YOLO is GAY
      Low and slow my friend.

Vehicles
      04-12-2012 11:32 PM #64
      Damn bro ur hella confused aha
      You said an automatic transmission drives the car for you. I'm just trying to figure out how to activate that feature?
      // Open Road Tuning

Vehicles
      2015 Golf GTI and a 2014 VW Tiguan 4 Motion SE
      04-12-2012 11:34 PM #65
      ^^ I love my DSG. I already said it. And I don't think that driving with a DSG means that I'm letting a computer drive for me, it just means I don't have to worry about the clutch. It's not the same as a slush box. It's two manual trannies that preload the next gear. There's a reason the DSG comes standard on the Vag supercars- audi r8 and the lambos. It's because the technology works, it's efficient, and while I may never race my car, it shaves time off each lap when being driven by a real driver. Don't get me wrong, I understand the draw of a manual transmission. I love to drive. But after driving a DSG, I've found that the trade off is worth it. I never just drive it in "D", and it's epically good.

---
      I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?oxyk3y
      ///”VDUBkill 2:0 – The path of 2.0T is beset on all sides by the injustice of the speed trap and the Plague of the Prius drivers. But blessed is he who in the name of disparity overwhelmeth the exotic in the valley of the s-bends. And I shall strike down upon thee with great revs and furious acceleration those who attempt to obstruct or delay my overtaking and you will know my engine is turbocharged when I lay my powerband upon thee.”

Vehicles
      2008 GTI EURO conversion
      04-12-2012 11:41 PM #66
      You said an automatic transmission drives the car for you. I'm just trying to figure out how to activate that feature?
      Bro im just joking with u, I got love for all my VW people. idc what kinda tranny u drive as long as its a vdub.

its all personal preference, the main reason i dirve manual is so none of my dummy buddies or family drives my car cuz they dont know how to drive stick

32. Member
      04-12-2012 11:50 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by JettaGT8V80 View Post
      and the real men drive manual is funny, i don't believe hummers in iraq are manuals nor are tanks jus sayin
      You say that like "hummers" and "tanks" are the only vehicles used in Iraq. Yes the majority are now automatics, but that because a majority of the people enlisting now(it's the younger generation typically doing the driving) don't know how to drive a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2008 GLI
      04-12-2012 11:57 PM #68
      I think you have to be Vin Diesel for auto pilot to work.

Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI Autobahn ::: 2013 Ram Sport 1500
      04-13-2012 12:20 AM #69
      I love my manual and have never owned an auto. When I went to buy my GLI, I had a choice between a GLI DSG or my GLI 6 speed manual. Drove both, even drove an R32. The salesman did everything he could to sell me on the DSG and nope, no dice -- I bought the manual. In my eyes and my dad has always said this when I was little, a manual is a true drivers car. I'm sure that's changed over the new years because of technology, so I believe that the manumatics have evolved into something great, but that still doesn't change my mind on owning a manual. I have driven my car many times to LA (you LA drivers no what I'm talking about with grid lock) and I STILL don't regret buying a manual. I'm 30 now and still have the love, regardless how fast the DSG shifts....
      **Formerly known as NmyGLi_06**

Chapter 11 Dubs #85
      (NEW) 2012 VW GTI Autobahn 4dr :: Deep Black Pearlescent :: LED Interior :: GFB DV+ :: Dieselgeek Short Shifter :: Ksports Coilovers

Vehicles
      2007 Jetta GLI
      04-13-2012 12:36 AM #70
      Lots of people in this thread who can't drive stick or have a vajayjay.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast