Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: gear for dusk/night riding

Vehicles
      '12 Impreza, '10 Forester, '09 Matchbox Unimog
      04-12-2012 08:38 AM #1
      So I picked up a GT traffic (aluminum) earlier this week, after my steel vs aluminum thread. The price was very right and it doesn't have too many frills, plus the upright position feels great. I'm not commuting per se, but I don't have the time to do 20+ miles rides and so riding with the fam/exercise is my priority.

Here's my question: I'll probably only be able to ride after I put the kids to bed at 7:30. If I ride for an hour at dusk, and I don't want to be killed by a car, how should I outfit me and my bike?

thx
      Not an enthusiast.

Vehicles
      ALL MOTOR VR MK3, 2004 R32
      04-12-2012 10:20 AM #2
      Well first and foremost you will need lights, front and rear. I will not recommend a brand since that usually gets into a long debate but Im sure we can all agree on some lights.

Also when I am going to be riding at night I throw on a white long sleeve underarmor style shirt to keep me cooler and my helmet is also white as well. Just make sure to be cautious when riding as always and make sure you are in the bike lane. Other than that its pretty much the same as daytime riding just a lot cooler out
      NO REGRETS

3. Member
      04-12-2012 01:23 PM #3
      lights + helmet

if you aren't afraid of losing "style points" there are hundreds of jerseys and light jackets (and pants, and shoes, and gloves) that are day-glow yellow and/or with reflective fabrics, all good for being visible at night

4. 04-12-2012 02:28 PM #4
      For front lighting there are a few factors. You need to first figure out if you need a front light for seeing or to be seen (ie if you need to light up the road due to low light or a blinky for cars coming towards you). If you need something to see the road you should figure out what speeds youll be riding (the faster your traveling the farther down the road you need the light to illuminate).

If you plan on riding a good amount look into a rechargeable light for front/rear.

Ive been running a couple Cygo-Lite Hotshot 2W after going through a bit too many PBflashes and like the light output for the price.

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      04-12-2012 09:41 PM #5
      As the others have said, front and rear lights. Then if you are going through lots of intersections good cross-section lighting or reflective tape would be wise on your wheels and the sides of your bike so you are visibile from the side.

Being visible is most important, and make sure you have a decent helmet. I would probably go with a non-vented city style helmet for better protection and to keep your head warm. Plus, it will be cheaper to replace if you do take a spill or drop it from a meaningful distance. Say if you dropped your helmet the distance from the ground to your head, it will probably not offer the same level of protection as a brand new helmet.

Vehicles
      2014 Chevrolet Traverse LT 2006 GMC Yukon XL SLT
      04-13-2012 07:56 AM #6
      There are no style points when riding at night. Whatever keeps you alive IS the style.

Reflective tape is your friend.

Get a GOOD rear blinky light, and a GOOD headlight. If you want bright and inexpensive, check out Magicshine lights. They are darn bright. Lots of folks both here locally, and on the Vortex, use them.
      ... you're not a hipster. But you definitely have hipster tendencies. Stay vigilant... like diabetes, you can manage this.
      -20DYNAMITE07

This thread sucks -Quattro Krant

7. 04-13-2012 09:27 PM #7
      Ive been training for long distance cycling- and found these which allows me to ride after dark. However, these are so bright that i get complements (of some sort) of how blindlingly bright they are even at daylight.
      The headlamp is Cygolite Expelion 350 USB. 350lumens output, 4 basic modes (and plus more) LI-ION rechargeable via USB
      The Tail lamp is Cygolite Hotshot 2watt LED.
      I recently did a century ride and folks behind me said they can see my taillamp even half-mile a way!

Last edited by tiptronic; 04-13-2012 at 09:29 PM.