Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: SAI relay location

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Cabrio, 2001 E 430,99 SLK 230, 1955 Ford Thunderbird , 1979 Cessna 172
      04-12-2012 03:40 PM #1
      I went to the local library and they had a copy of the Bently Service Manual for my '02 Cabrio. I checked it out and came home and started tracking down problems I was having. Down to the last issue and I hit a bump in the road.
      The Check Engine light is on and it reads SAI relay problem. So I looked in the repair manual and read about the SAI and where the relay is located. The manual says that the relay and fuse is behind the left headlight. To me the left headlight is the drivers side. I may be wrong . But the relay isnt there. The only thing behind the headlight assy is the battery. Is the relay on the passenger side behind the headlight? I cant find it there either. Do I need to remove something to be able to see it or it is in a different place? I have no idea where to look. Any help appreciated .

Vehicles
      91 Burgundy Etienne(2), 06 2.5L Jetta, 08 GTI 2.0T
      04-12-2012 03:58 PM #2
      There is a relay on the passenger side between the water bottle and the shock tower.
      dunno what its for though.(99 cabrio).

Good reading on the topic.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-pop-up-before

Update:

bentley website discussing this relay with a photo:

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/th...threadID=38133
      Last edited by CajunSpike; 04-12-2012 at 05:25 PM.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW Cabrio, 2001 E 430,99 SLK 230, 1955 Ford Thunderbird , 1979 Cessna 172
      04-12-2012 06:17 PM #3
      Isnt that relay you have circled the FCM ? Fan Control Module? The photo accompanying the thread you sent shows the relay near the battery tray . Its between the battery and the headlight wires . On my car if I knew how to attach photos there is another relay mounted on the drivers shock tower that looks like this relay. Could it be a relocation. Its factory wiring ,but it doesnt have the 111 numbers that are supposed to be on the SAI relay. But there isnt a fuse near it . The book suggests checking the 30 amp fuse . The only fuse is on the FCM .

Vehicles
      91 Burgundy Etienne(2), 06 2.5L Jetta, 08 GTI 2.0T
      04-12-2012 08:30 PM #4
      it IS possible thats not the relay you want. im just saying one exists in that position in my car.

i'd trust the bentley site myself.

To do photos on this site, you have to put them in some web photo location(photobucket,etc)
      then add a link to the picture in your post.