Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Knowledgable Wheel Expert

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      04-12-2012 04:13 PM #1
      I dont know much about wheels and I want to talk to someone that can give me real information. I called tire rack and asked them some questions like what the real technical differences are between one wheel from one manufacture was versus another. He told me it was the price and how it looked. I do a lot of cycling and if I were to ask a shop about the difference between wheels they'd tell me about the rim material, spokes, bearings, hubs, differences between manufactures, the different reputations of manufactures, what the wheels were typically used for, related performance versus price trade-offs, etc... So I'm looking for a recommendation on a dealer or shop that I could contact to get some real valuable information about wheels for my GTI.

Thanks.

2. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      04-12-2012 04:33 PM #2
      go to the manufactures website of the wheels your looking at.

no ones really gonna know that.

http://www.bbs.com/en/technology/pro...eparation.html

http://www.ozracing.com/technology/production.aspx

3. 04-13-2012 01:24 AM #3
      If you're looking on TireRack those are basically "cookie-cutter" wheels...sort of a "one size fits all" sort of thing. If you really want to know go to places like ADV.1 or Vossen or DPE or HRE to name a few. They will cost you a little more but they are better than anything you will find at Tirerack and your wheel will be built for you based upon your specific needs.

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI 6MT
      04-13-2012 09:07 AM #4
      Many wheel manufacturers on Tire Rack are top notch quality. They are very knowledgeable but they usually know more about fitment, applications, tire needs rather than the details as to how the wheel was made. As for the technical info you're looking for, you can read into the various manufacture processes (cast, forged, etc...) by doing a quick search on google.
      Once you've read up on those, you can do some research on offsets, sizes, weights, etc...
      A lot of it will depend on whether you want wheels more geared towards looks, performance, a mix of both as well as what you suspension plans are (if any).

You're into cycling but keep in mind that car wheels won't have the same selection criteria you're used to.

C.O.Y.G.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1989 Jetta Helios Wolfsburg Edition
      04-13-2012 09:27 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Aquadooloop View Post
      I dont know much about wheels and I want to talk to someone that can give me real information. I called tire rack and asked them some questions like what the real technical differences are between one wheel from one manufacture was versus another. He told me it was the price and how it looked. I do a lot of cycling and if I were to ask a shop about the difference between wheels they'd tell me about the rim material, spokes, bearings, hubs, differences between manufactures, the different reputations of manufactures, what the wheels were typically used for, related performance versus price trade-offs, etc... So I'm looking for a recommendation on a dealer or shop that I could contact to get some real valuable information about wheels for my GTI.

Thanks.
      Good question, I'm in the same boat as you; haven't bought wheels in a long time. I'm in for some info. I've got an add on question too. For those of you that are in the "know", where are you guys buying your wheels (online)?

6. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      04-13-2012 10:58 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by YellowC4S View Post
      If you're looking on TireRack those are basically "cookie-cutter" wheels...sort of a "one size fits all" sort of thing. If you really want to know go to places like ADV.1 or Vossen or DPE or HRE to name a few. They will cost you a little more but they are better than anything you will find at Tirerack and your wheel will be built for you based upon your specific needs.
      i wouldnt consider HRE wheels better quality than BBS. google bent hre and see the problems people use to report. its been known they make soft wheels. not sure if theyve fixed that or not. but id take a forge bbs wheel any day over a forge hre wheel.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      04-13-2012 11:13 AM #7
      While not a cover-all method of doing things, just doing some research behind the brand should tell you something about the product though. Companies like BBS or OZ have been around for a while and their product is widely use in racing that their quality can probably be assumed to some degree. They also do a lot of OEM wheel manufacturing and that usually mean their process is at least documented or controlled.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      04-13-2012 02:49 PM #8
      BBS, OZ, HRE, etc.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan SEL 4motion , 2013 Mercedes Sprinter, Chevy Kodiak 5500
      04-13-2012 07:33 PM #9
      Wheel shops are not bicycle shops and not even close.
      Bicycle wheels are broken down into many components : Axle , Bearings , Hub , Spokes , Nipples , Rims , Air Valve ,Rim Strip then Tire.
      Most Bicycle riders until the professional level are the biggest time wasters about component weight and strength . Their ability can't even come close to what most quality wheel will provide performance wise .
      Aftermarket Wheel companies sell to the local wheel/tire shop who in turn sell to you . They stock what the wheel MFG has usually said sells well for the vehicles in their area .
      The Tire Rack's staff for example are very well trained to answer almost all of your questions on any given wheel and tire combo . Most aftermarket wheel companies will answer you fittment questions and wheel style build process up to a point over the phone or online.
      Do your homework .
      What alot of people on this site use reguarly for wheels on their cars seem to work and look good on the model car they own .
      You can't go wrong with a major brand name wheel company . No matter what some troll says on the internet !
      Don't waste some guy's time in a tire store about trivial bull**** questions on how each wheel you are looking at has been made, unsprung weight , the tire compound durometer reading and all that other useless crap. He just wants to sell you wheels and tires that you like looking at on your car and if he is well trained in the product, fit right , don't rub on the suspension or the body of your pride and joy !
      I sell racing products for a living and I never spend the time on the phone with a professional builder/racer as some of these poor wheel/tire/suspension dealers do with a so called ( insert auto name) enthusiast who thinks they know it all .
      My two cents worth.
      Last edited by JN3n; 04-13-2012 at 07:39 PM.

10. 04-14-2012 12:51 AM #10
      What questions did you have?
      Chris Lane - fifteen52 - Join us on Facebook
      chris@fifteen52.us 813.505.7910 - direct : 213.373.1552
      RML | 52 Wheels | KW | ST | B&G | Newing-Alpil | C2 | Air-Lift

11. 04-14-2012 02:15 AM #11
      I came here to say that a knowledgeable wheel expert is preferable to an ignorant wheel expert.

Current: 2014 228i/2011 GTI
      Past: 2008 Touareg 2 / 2007 MKV Jetta Wolfsburg, 5MT / 2003 Passat V6 5MT / 1989 Volvo 240DL

IANYL