Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Scirocco question

Vehicles
      84 scirocco 8v, 79 porsche 924
      04-12-2012 05:04 PM #1
      So while I'm under the hood of my 84 scirocco 8v trying to figure out why when it is hot it does not want to idle I notice what looks to be a wire connected to my throttle body. It was run towards my head but it snapped so I am trying to figure out where it goes and if it is important. Also if it would be part of my problem. I will post a picture of said wire when I get home.

When cold she starts right up but after driving for a while and it warms up the idle drops dramatically and makes it sound like I have a very intense cam. After this happens when I step on the gas pedal I can feel that it wants to go but it's like there is something holding it back. When I shut it off and go into a store or talk to my friends and go to start it back up it cranks slow then starts right up but has a very poor idle.

Thanks in advance for everyone that can help me out here.
      -Austin
      1984 scirocco

Vehicles
      84 scirocco 8v, 79 porsche 924
      04-16-2012 02:14 PM #2
      Here is the wire that i am concerned about.

It looks like it is for a ground but i am not sure where it runs too
      Last edited by Scirocco_Kind_of_Guy; 04-16-2012 at 02:17 PM.
      -Austin
      1984 scirocco

3. 04-16-2012 07:35 PM #3
      That Aint a Wire, Thats a Ground Strap.

Refit it, or better yet, replace it with something less bare braided metal. You can find Grounding Straps in various lengths, sometimes for Surplus and/or Welding Shops.

The Strap in question went to the Firewall, or Bulkhead, usually to the Nut holding the Coil in it's bracket, (right?)

It's important to properly tie the Motor, Chassis, Battery and Alt's Case together, electrically speaking.

While we're on the subject, you might also consider replacing the Ground Strap from the Battery to the Chassis and Motor/Block as well.

(It's a three point connection so you might find it easier to replace it with two conventional straps; one w/ a Battery Clamp on one end and the other cable being for bolt attachments on both ends.)

A good, medium gauge wire from the Alternator's Case (not the electrical output posts/blades, but the Case or shell) to the Engine Block (sometimes folks use an additional nut to a valve cover bolt, at least on 8v motors).

Aaaand, of course the Hot Side of the Battery/Alt will be jealous of all the attention so a good gauge Cable from Battery to Alt Hot 12v is also recommended. (Some Alts have blade connectors, some have a bolt/nut post...)

Last thing, get the mating surfaces clean and shiny brite and slap a thin coating of something on them prior to the rebolt to keep the Oxy-dation out going forward; even Petro-jelly is better than nothing.

If you’re feeling up to some mining you might get adventurous w/ the Google Search phenom;
      http://www.google.com/search?&q=tber...n+ground+strap

as an example...
      Report back.

Last edited by TBerk; 04-16-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Inconsistent use of CAps and then there was a 'your/you're' thingie...