Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: shifty shift linkage

Vehicles
      2004 Audi TT 225Q
      04-12-2012 06:00 PM #1
      as the title states...

I am having issues with my shift linkage / tranny, and was wondering wth could be going wrong. When I bought the car a year ago the shift feel was some what "notchy", but I only felt it every 1 per 1000 shifts, so i wasn't too worried. Also, I read a C&D review of a similar year 225 /6M and one of the test drivers complained of the same thing, again settling my worries. However, the issue has become more and more frequent, and on some occasions the shifter has refused to enter the gate (particularly from 2nd to 3rd, 4th to 5th, and sometimes reverse) and must be very firmly placed in to the gate. Any ideas?

Knowns:

665xx miles on the car
      Last oil change: 2xxx miles ago
      Extended Warranty coverage

Seems to be aggravated by inclines, large weight transfers during acceleration / cornering

Unknowns:

Miles on tranny
      Miles on clutch (clutch feel has never changed / deviated from normal)
      Miles since last tranny flush
      Miles since last haldex service
      Miles on mounts

Spoke to a friend who said it might be my synchros, but he has only ever driven rear-wheel cars and direct shifting, never any external linkage...

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated
      "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear. Horsepower determines how fast one hits the wall, Torque determines how far you move it..."

-Sun Tzu The Art of Driving

2. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225 (daily), 01 TT 225 (project) 02 TT 180Q (donor), 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 03 GTI (dead)
      04-12-2012 09:11 PM #2
      Aligning the shift linkage would probably take care of it. I'd do that ASAP as the repeated "forcings" will eventually break a shift fork.