Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 21 of 21

    Thread: Stuck in park

    1. 04-12-2012 07:04 PM #1
      I recently purchased a 2007 passat with some front left damage.

      As you can see there is damge to the front left suspension and steering. The car starts but does not want to go to drive. Stuck in the park position. At first i was worried it was the transmission, but i can manually put it into drive by unhooking the shift cable and use my hand, my guess it is an electrical/computer issue. I took all the old suspension parts of and waiting on the new ones i ordered. My question is could it be not switching out of park because everything was damaged, and will change after parts are replaced?
      I'll try to keep you updated on my little project.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 24th, 2011
      Location
      Belleair, Florida
      Posts
      1,963
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      04-12-2012 08:22 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpassat2.0t View Post
      I recently purchased a 2007 passat with some front left damage.

      As you can see there is damge to the front left suspension and steering. The car starts but does not want to go to drive. Stuck in the park position. At first i was worried it was the transmission, but i can manually put it into drive by unhooking the shift cable and use my hand, my guess it is an electrical/computer issue. I took all the old suspension parts of and waiting on the new ones i ordered. My question is could it be not switching out of park because everything was damaged, and will change after parts are replaced?
      I'll try to keep you updated on my little project.
      My guess is it is having trouble reaching the tcm (transmission control module). If you can, get it scanned with vag-com. That should tell you. When you shift it with your hand, does it go into gear hard? What does the dash do, does it digitally show what gear (P, R, D, N, S...)? How about the indicators next to the shifter, are they lighting up when you move the shifter back?
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

    3. 04-13-2012 12:26 AM #3
      The engine cradle had broken where its attached to the control arm. I had taken the cradle off today and cant start the engine for now until i put on the new one. Ordered one the other day and should be receiving it shortly.

      I know a guy that has a vag-com reader I believe. Ill borrow it from him tomorrow and post the results. Also I'll check what the dash lights and lights by the shifter do with just the ignition on.

    4. 04-13-2012 06:55 PM #4
      I took apart the shifter console and found the yellow release button. So now i can switch the gears with the shifter.
      Ran the codes as well:
      49409 Transmission Control Module
      00778 Steering Angle Sensor (G85)

      Anyone have any ideas what the TCM one means?

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 24th, 2011
      Location
      Belleair, Florida
      Posts
      1,963
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      04-13-2012 07:13 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpassat2.0t View Post
      I took apart the shifter console and found the yellow release button. So now i can switch the gears with the shifter.
      Ran the codes as well:
      49409 Transmission Control Module
      00778 Steering Angle Sensor (G85)

      Anyone have any ideas what the TCM one means?
      I could be wrong but I think it (the tcm) may be behind the drivers side wheel well, in which case, you'll probably need a new one given the damage.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

    6. 04-13-2012 07:23 PM #6
      I'm thinking the same thing. I tried searching exact location of the tcm on the b6, cannot get a direct answer. Anyone know? There is a module behind the drivers front fender? Could that be it?

    7. Member low_passat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2010
      Location
      Goodyear, AZ
      Posts
      2,749
      Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      04-13-2012 10:16 PM #7
      Yes, the TCM is in the drivers side fender wheel well
      2007 Candy White/Black Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition| APR Stage 2+ | APR HPFP | Forge WINtake | S3 Intercooler | B&B 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Dogbone Insert | FK Silverline+ Coilovers | Front Lip Spoiler/Hi-Def Sideskirts | Votex Trunk Lip Spoiler | R-Line Fog Grilles | Clear Corners | HID Kit - low beams & fogs | RCD-510 | Podi Boost gauge | R-Line Pedals | GTI Steering Wheel |

    8. 05-11-2012 07:03 PM #8
      Have been busy with work, but I have finished with all the suspension work.
      [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
      [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
      Shift lever is still stuck in park. I still think its tcm but my dad thinks its something with the mechanism in the shifter console. Reason I believe its electrical is because P,R,D,etc do not light up in the dash or right next to the lever. Any one have any input... anything would be appreciated.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2011
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      480
      Vehicles
      08 Passat 6MT FSI ; 07 Mazda 6i ; 82 Mustang 5.0
      05-11-2012 07:35 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpassat2.0t View Post
      Have been busy with work, but I have finished with all the suspension work.
      [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
      [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
      Shift lever is still stuck in park. I still think its tcm but my dad thinks its something with the mechanism in the shifter console. Reason I believe its electrical is because P,R,D,etc do not light up in the dash or right next to the lever. Any one have any input... anything would be appreciated.
      Could be a stupid question, but did you check any fuses?!
      2008 United Gray B6 Passat 2.0T FSI 6 M/T: APR Stage 2+ 100 oct [] USP TestPipe/APR HPFP/AWE DV/BSH PCV Kit/CTS Intake/AutoTech CatBack/Snow Stg2 Meth/034 Dogbone Insert/ABT front lip/VMR V710 19x8.5/H&R SS Coils/Climate Knobs/Pioneer DVD unit/Kenwood 9104D amps/Kicker L7s

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 24th, 2011
      Location
      Belleair, Florida
      Posts
      1,963
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-11-2012 08:04 PM #10
      TCM would cause the shift lights to not light up. When the lights are on, does the P light up brighter than the others? Also, on the MFD, does it show what gear (p, r, n, etc.) the car is in? Try and move it manually, pop up the trim around the shifter and push in the yellow pin, then move it back and see what happens. The TCM is what will tell that part to engage to let the shift knob move to different gears.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

    11. Member low_passat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2010
      Location
      Goodyear, AZ
      Posts
      2,749
      Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      05-12-2012 02:55 AM #11
      Was the battery unhooked or dead & recharged/replaced? It's commons for the lights/electrical to have fits after the battery is reconnected. Driving it for a short time usually clears all this, but not sure why the gear lock is engaged.
      2007 Candy White/Black Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition| APR Stage 2+ | APR HPFP | Forge WINtake | S3 Intercooler | B&B 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Dogbone Insert | FK Silverline+ Coilovers | Front Lip Spoiler/Hi-Def Sideskirts | Votex Trunk Lip Spoiler | R-Line Fog Grilles | Clear Corners | HID Kit - low beams & fogs | RCD-510 | Podi Boost gauge | R-Line Pedals | GTI Steering Wheel |

    12. 05-12-2012 12:51 PM #12
      Fuses was the first thing I checked, they are all good. Im at work right now, but if I remember correctly I know for sure P,R,D etc did not light up on the instrument panel.... the lights next to the lever also do not light up any brighter when switching gears using the yellow pin. One more thing I should mention, since replacing all the suspension on the driver side,(including the engine cradlle) the transmission shifts more rough than usaual, could that be TCM related?

      I haven't drove the car yet, so I read most lights reset when driving for a couple miles, for example the tire pressure light?

    13. 05-12-2012 01:44 PM #13
      Could be the electronic parking brake switch. when this was giving me problems you could barely put the car in gear. And there was a very scary noise which accompanied getting the car in gear. also, there was a burning smell coming from the car after driving it around for a while. looks like you are making good progress, however.

    14. 05-13-2012 10:01 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Bustos View Post
      Could be the electronic parking brake switch. when this was giving me problems you could barely put the car in gear. And there was a very scary noise which accompanied getting the car in gear. also, there was a burning smell coming from the car after driving it around for a while. looks like you are making good progress, however.
      Can u tell more about this electronic brake switch... tried doing some searches, no luck.... the light for my parking brake is on as well.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 24th, 2011
      Location
      Belleair, Florida
      Posts
      1,963
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-13-2012 10:39 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpassat2.0t View Post
      Fuses was the first thing I checked, they are all good. Im at work right now, but if I remember correctly I know for sure P,R,D etc did not light up on the instrument panel.... the lights next to the lever also do not light up any brighter when switching gears using the yellow pin. One more thing I should mention, since replacing all the suspension on the driver side,(including the engine cradlle) the transmission shifts more rough than usaual, could that be TCM related?

      I haven't drove the car yet, so I read most lights reset when driving for a couple miles, for example the tire pressure light?
      Tire pressure for me adjusts immediately, and yes, I think it could be a TCM issue. Did you replace it? I'd guess it would have been damaged in the accident, and the symptoms fit. Does it go in really hard? Your probably in limp mode, which would mean your car has 4th gear and 4th gear only, no tiptronic, no sport mode; all you've got to work with is 4th-and reverse, park, neutral of course.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 24th, 2011
      Location
      Belleair, Florida
      Posts
      1,963
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-13-2012 10:39 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpassat2.0t View Post
      Can u tell more about this electronic brake switch... tried doing some searches, no luck.... the light for my parking brake is on as well.
      Could be separate issue. Is the light on the dash on that says brake or the light on the "P"? I assume you can't disengage it?
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2009
      Posts
      3,195
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      05-14-2012 06:08 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpassat2.0t View Post
      Have been busy with work, but I have finished with all the suspension work.
      [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
      The module/ecu you see in the is picture under the drivers side fender is the TCM if you didn't know. Whoops I missed the people saying thats where the TCM was. LOL You might have damaged some wires leading up the TCM looking at your other pictures.

    18. 05-14-2012 07:27 PM #18
      The parking light is on (yellow P with a circle around it), but i can still disengage the electronic brake. Like I previously mention, the car hasn't left the garage and hasn't been driven. After i put the radiator support i plan on taking it out.

      Ill double check the wiring from the tcm, but it looked fine to me. Maybe its the tcm module itself. If i get one on ebay with the exact serial and part number would it be just plug and play, or would something else need to be done? Also now that you tell me about limp mode im pretty sure this car is in this mode. Can you tell me more about it? How and why it goes into this mode, and how to fix it?

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 24th, 2011
      Location
      Belleair, Florida
      Posts
      1,963
      Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Passat
      05-14-2012 08:32 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpassat2.0t View Post
      The parking light is on (yellow P with a circle around it), but i can still disengage the electronic brake. Like I previously mention, the car hasn't left the garage and hasn't been driven. After i put the radiator support i plan on taking it out.

      Ill double check the wiring from the tcm, but it looked fine to me. Maybe its the tcm module itself. If i get one on ebay with the exact serial and part number would it be just plug and play, or would something else need to be done? Also now that you tell me about limp mode im pretty sure this car is in this mode. Can you tell me more about it? How and why it goes into this mode, and how to fix it?
      It goes into limp to prevent damaging the transmission, engine, or whatever is causing the car to think something is wrong. 4th gear is what will give you the most range as far as speeds; yes, you can use low speeds (slow acceleration) and you can use moderately high speeds which are good enough to get you home (40-45 is max in 4th). Is there a park brake fault? I don't have much experience with the brake as far as problems so I don't know what to tell you. I'd recommend getting a vag-com, considering the magnitude of your project. It'd be a great help to you. If you did want to drive it, you could find the fuse for the parking brake and it'd make sense to me if you pulled it, that it would disengage. You'd get a fault, but with a vag-com cable, you could clear it.
      2006 Passat FSI 2.0T |Forge DV Spacer|Lowered on DG Springs|Electric Exhaust Cutout|Podi Stepper Boost Gauge|19" Gianelle Wheels|10" Kicker sub in custom box| iPad Mini Dash installed as headunit|5% Tint on sides, 30% on back window|Carbon fiber mirrors|Votex Roof Rack|Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow tips|Colormatched Badgeless grill|OEM Audi S6 LED DRLs|Lip spoiler|Ceramic Brake Pads|Morimoto HIDs

    20. 05-14-2012 08:50 PM #20
      Just finished checking all the wiring for the tcm could not find anything, decided to recheck the fuse, and guess what?!!!! it was a bad FUSE!!! Missed it the first time because it looks good. Now i can move it from park, but it is very rough when switching.
      Also i still have the malfunction in the parking brake light still on, also shows it in the MFD.

      I planing on investing in a vagcom, chassis is 3C, so i would need the Micro-CAN Interface, right?>>> http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/Micro-CAN.html

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 10th, 2009
      Posts
      3,195
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      05-16-2012 10:17 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpassat2.0t View Post
      Just finished checking all the wiring for the tcm could not find anything, decided to recheck the fuse, and guess what?!!!! it was a bad FUSE!!! Missed it the first time because it looks good. Now i can move it from park, but it is very rough when switching.
      Also i still have the malfunction in the parking brake light still on, also shows it in the MFD.

      I planing on investing in a vagcom, chassis is 3C, so i would need the Micro-CAN Interface, right?>>> http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/Micro-CAN.html
      Correct! If you ever want to do data logging to check fuel trims or anything like that. You will need to get Micro-CAN + Hex model.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •