Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: need info on ecu!

Vehicles
      1975 swallowtail1983 gti/2004 R32
      04-12-2012 08:20 PM #1
      hey guys, i am building a 16v dual carb. in order to do it the right way my engine builder told me about a ignition setup out of a scirocco 16v. the ecu suppose to have a vacuum hookup ?? what kind of ecu is it? it must be out of a a1 i guess....any help?

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 86 QSW (still unnamed); 90 325iX (Nina - RIP); 89 325iX (kid's new car)
      04-12-2012 11:36 PM #2
      He recommended that you get the knock-sensing ignition setup from a Scirocco 16v (can also use the same system from a Golf/Jetta II 16v (PL - 1.8 liter) car. Same box.)

The "ECU" in question here is the knock-control unit. The vacuum connection is for its internal MAP sensor (needed for its load calculations for spark advance.)
      Do NOT use the knock box from an 8v car - the rev limiter is part of the knock box, and an 8v car has a lower rev limit than does a 16v.
      - Cup
      '88 Scirocco 16v, 'tastefully' modified.
      Click here for my Cincy pics
      things currently broken (Scirocco): 5
      things currently broken (QSW): 5!!

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 01:11 AM #3
      oh ok. thanks for the info. so what exactly do i need? sorry, but this is all new for me....
      there is a guy selling a ecu,harnes etc out of a 87 rocco 16v. is this what i need?

Vehicles
      1983 Wolfsburg Scirocco [Luna], '70 GMC Pickup, '76 Mustang Cobra II, '92 SVX, '95 Millenia
      04-13-2012 01:58 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by deryll1 View Post
      oh ok. thanks for the info. so what exactly do i need? sorry, but this is all new for me....
      there is a guy selling a ecu,harnes etc out of a 87 rocco 16v. is this what i need?
      http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco...e/knocksensor/

I thought the rev limiter was built into the fuel pump relay?
      Bypass that and it shouldn't matter if you get the knock sensing equipment out of an 8v or 16v car.
      Last edited by Rannoch; 04-13-2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: clarifying statement

5. 04-13-2012 02:22 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Rannoch View Post
      http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco...e/knocksensor/

I thought the rev limiter was built into the fuel pump relay?
      Bypass that and it shouldn't matter if you get the knock sensing equipment out of an 8v or 16v car.

There is an old link on that very informative web page pointing to an Earthlink addy I used to have. I'll see about trying to resurrect the info and repost a new link. Keep in mind, re: this particular thread; my 'page' was Knock Sensor Grafting for an RD (8V Golf II) motor transplanted into a Mk1 Scirocco application.

TBerk
      PS, My recollect, at the time, was recalling the Rev limiting was related to the ECU, not the Relay. (I have no doubt the Relay could be involved, 'down stream' so to speak, but all concerns in that regard seem ECU related...)
      Last edited by TBerk; 04-13-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Vehicles
      1983 Wolfsburg Scirocco [Luna], '70 GMC Pickup, '76 Mustang Cobra II, '92 SVX, '95 Millenia
      04-13-2012 03:59 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by TBerk View Post
      There is an old link on that very informative web page pointing to an Earthlink addy I used to have. I'll see about trying to resurrect the info and repost a new link. Keep in mind, re: this particular thread; my 'page' was Knock Sensor Grafting for an RD (8V Golf II) motor transplanted into a Mk1 Scirocco application.

TBerk
      PS, My recollect, at the time, was recalling the Rev limiting was related to the ECU, not the Relay. (I have no doubt the Relay could be involved, 'down stream' so to speak, but all concerns in that regard seem ECU related...)
      I know that with VW Foxes of the CIS-E variety, the rev limiting was accomplished by applying/removing voltage to the 5th pin on the Fuel Pump Relay. Easily disabled by using the horn relay in place of the FP relay.
      As to what generates the signal? No idea if it's the ECU or Knock Sensing Unit.

With a Digifant Fox, it is the ECU (of course, Digifant foxes don't employ knock sensing).

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 11:22 AM #7
      thanks, the link was very useful if u guys have more....just post it...need input!