Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: needing some advice from g60 people

1. 04-12-2012 09:15 PM #1
      I have deleted the charger on my mk1 rabbit g60. I cut the bracket for the charger down and added a vr6 water pump pulley. I am happy with this setup just two belts now and very clean. I am curious what the minimalistic approach to an intake tube would be to work with the isv and pcv. Also is it ok to just cap off the lower intake on the TB? Right now that is how i have it setup. I am using the plastic tube that came on the corrado as an intake tube which is restrictive and just plain hack. I have an aluminum header on the car and I am getting a parts car in a week. The plan is to bolt on the manifold from the parts car including exhaust pipes and run N/A until I finish fabricating the turbo header, exhaust and intake piping and have my oil lines made. I plan on running the turbo low as to avoid heat soak on the intake manifold. I already have the scavenge pump. I have a mitsubishi k04 turbo that i received from a volvo mechanic friend but Im not sold on using it right now. Turbo advice would be cool. I will not be modifying any of the engine parts to increase performance. Just a stock pg/counterflow/turbo setup.

Those are the things that I am working on right now, but my question is if it takes me six months to get the turbo fabrication and parts selections done, in the mean time I will be daily driving the car, how beneficial is it to put an N/A chip in the computer? I will be more than willing to track down a chip if it will be worth it for my driving comfort. Also if anybody has an N/A chip that they are not using and want to sell let me know as I would like to try it for the right price.

Vehicles
      1992 Passat Syncro Wagon, 1987 Fox Wagon (Project)
      04-12-2012 09:53 PM #2
      I'd read this thread for one.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...a-supercharger!

yes you should run a different chip for a low comp non boosted motor. It will over fuel like a mother trucker the way it is.

Realistically, why run any of the G60 parts if you're not super charging it?
      Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe
      I am old enough that I only have to be nice when I want to.

3. 04-13-2012 11:14 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by efritsch View Post
      I'd read this thread for one.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...a-supercharger!

yes you should run a different chip for a low comp non boosted motor. It will over fuel like a mother trucker the way it is.

Realistically, why run any of the G60 parts if you're not super charging it?
      im not sure what you mean by why run any of the g60 parts if you are not supercharging. Please give any advice you have for a simple setup using the parts I have. I try not to make a habit of consuming other vws when I am building. I feel if I can use what I have I am less wastefull.

The digi 1 ECU is a great component and everything that goes with it is a willing sacrifice. I am in the fabricatiin stageWww of a turbo setup using the pg setup. I do not want to throw too much money at temporary bits. I am getting great mileage and power the way it is but if I can see improvement I will m ask e changes. Again any advice that may help would be great.

4. 04-13-2012 11:35 AM #4
      To clear a few things up I have had cars that were built to be quick and I have had cars that were built to be fast. I ultimately switched to bike because that is where the thrills are. this is not a fastest car on the road build. I have broken 200 on the street on a bike. been there done that. This is a clean engine bay reasonably fun to drive beach cruiser. If I want to stay out of the compressor I can. A bit more midrange and top end lower is all I want. I will be running reasonably low boost and aiming for efficiency. The phase in my life where I threw money at speed is gone.