Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help me decide

Vehicles
      04 Phaeton W12 Premier
      04-12-2012 09:21 PM #1
      What would you guys choose between a 2004 W12 with 120K miles and a 2006 V8 with 75K miles. Both are exactly the same in options, features, color, and a pretty well maintenance history. Both are similar in condition. Well I have the aforementioned W12. Did a few things to it within the last few months including brakes, bushings, hoses, thermostats, and power trunk. Came across this V8 and thought if it might be a good car to replace my W12. I don't really know if the V8 would be an upgrade or not. On one hand, it is 2 years newer with 50K less miles. On the other hand, it is not a W12! The V8 will likely need timing belt and water pump soon. At this point, I do not know what else I would have to do to my W12. So which would you choose if you were me? Tong

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 V8 Phaeton, 2005 V8 Touareg
      04-12-2012 09:46 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by tongzilla View Post
      What would you guys choose between a 2004 W12 with 120K miles and a 2006 V8 with 75K miles. Both are exactly the same in options, features, color, and a pretty well maintenance history. Both are similar in condition. Well I have the aforementioned W12. Did a few things to it within the last few months including brakes, bushings, hoses, thermostats, and power trunk. Came across this V8 and thought if it might be a good car to replace my W12. I don't really know if the V8 would be an upgrade or not. On one hand, it is 2 years newer with 50K less miles. On the other hand, it is not a W12! The V8 will likely need timing belt and water pump soon. At this point, I do not know what else I would have to do to my W12. So which would you choose if you were me? Tong
      The choice is obvious - both.

If you didn't already have the W12 and have completed all the good work, I'd say the 2006 V8 for sure. I still lean toward the 2006 V8 for the reasons you mention plus, you avoid the air suspension dillema that is inherent on most of the 2004s. But then you're certain to miss that W12 feel.......... and I certainly wouldn't want to be blamed for that.

Jim X