Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sad, new driving trend: Are you a "super commuter"?

Vehicles
      2013 Touareg
      04-12-2012 11:05 PM #1
      I'm close ... I drive 80 miles roundtrip per day for work. It sucks, but it's a really good job.

Quote Originally Posted by msnbc.com
      Every day, Rodney Beseda travels about 95 miles each way from Fayetteville, Texas, to his job as a facilities manager at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. If he leaves home at 4:15 a.m., he’ll arrive at 6:00 a.m., right on time. And then when the day ends he’ll make the nearly 2 hour drive once more.

“With the job market now, if you are in a stable job, I definitely wouldn’t want to try and change jobs right now," he said.

Beseda, 37, who has managed to keep this schedule for 10 years, is one of a growing number of “super commuters”-- people who travel about 100 miles each way to work.

He grew up in Fayetteville, Texas, halfway between Austin and Houston, then moved to Houston to be closer to his job. But after just a year and a half in the big city, he moved back to the much smaller Fayetteville community (population: 258) to start and raise a family. On the weekends, Beseda, his wife, and their four kids go fishing in a pond near their home and on Sundays, the whole family –- cousins, aunts and uncles who also live in town -- have a big dinner together. It’s a family tradition, Beseda said, and that means more to him than living closer to his place of employment.

“For me, being out there in the country, what I know and what I love, that is where I want to be,” he said.

It’s easy to see why he and millions of others live in smaller, less-expensive, close-knit communities with family close by rather than moving closer to their jobs in big cities. And according to a recent analysis by Mitchell Moss, a professor at New York University’s Rudin Center for Transportation, the number of super commuters is growing. In some cities, like Houston and Dallas, the number of super commuters has tripled since 2002.

The eight fastest-growing metropolitan areas for super commuters are: New York City, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Chicago.

“Today, Americans are so concerned about the fact that jobs are uncertain, you don’t have a lifetime employment, you’re putting your family first and therefore they’re going to commute much greater distances to work to keep their families in one place,” Moss told NBC News. “No one wants to uproot their family. And with so many households, more than half of the households in America having two earners, it’s very hard for both people to get a job in the same city. As a result we are finding out that people are traveling great distances.”

Southwest Airlines hosts two dozen daily commuter flights between Houston and Dallas -- two of the fastest-growing super commuter hotspots. And it isn’t unusual for passengers to take a plane to and from work five days a week. Technology, too, has enabled many long-distance workers to telecommute several days a week, making the really big commutes once or twice a week much more bearable.

Many companies are now also providing free shuttle buses to help attract and keep qualified workers who live far away from the workplace. Rackspace Hosting, an Internet business solutions company, drives many of its employees from Austin to San Antonio every day on a bus equipped with WiFi access, helping make the morning commute a lot more productive (and fun) for its workers.
      http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/_n...-the-rise?lite
      Go Gators!

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      04-12-2012 11:08 PM #2
      I used to commute 60 miles one way.

Heck, at one point my commute was 358 miles round trip daily!!

But now...I live 15 minutes from work and that's just nice.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      '99 328i, '13 Volt, The Red Line
      04-12-2012 11:12 PM #3
      I've had 110 mile and 120 mile round trip commute, both for no more than six months though. I would never put up with it longer than that, the cost both in money and time just isn't worth it. Either move or find a closer job.
      Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      What if my idea is to go faster around a track than your idea?

Corvette. Less than you can afford, pal.

| The Red Line
      | 1999 BMW 328i | 2013 Chevy Volt |

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      04-12-2012 11:14 PM #4
      some parts make sense, I mean you wouldn't want to uproot for a job that might not be there in a year, but this guy has been doing that for 10 years.

The family angle is what gets me, you do this for your family? but don't they miss having a dad for those 4 hours a day?

The part that does make sense is that if you're unable to sell your home, moving closer may not be an option anyway.

5 min. commute btw.
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      04-12-2012 11:16 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by DSG-TDI View Post
      I'm close ... I drive 80 miles roundtrip per day for work. It sucks, but it's a really good job.
      I'm not, but we've got a few. I work in Chicago's Loop but I'm less than 5 miles away, here in the city - 15 minutes on a good day. We've got a couple of people that live in Milwaukee and several in Indiana and drive it every day. They're having a bit of a laugh right now, as we're moving to a new location in the suburbs next month so we city dwellers will be driving 30 miles to work. We've got several people saying they will quit because that's too long a drive. My only problem with it is the uncovered parking, meaning winters will mean breaking out the ice scraper.

Oh, and my brother used to commute from Lexington to Lousiville for a few years - about 80 miles each way. He hated the drive but the cost of living difference made it worth it to him.
      Last edited by epbrown; 04-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      04-12-2012 11:17 PM #6
      I'm a pico commuter. I walk 0.001 miles to work every day.
      Contributor at http://becarchic.com and http://speedsportlife.com
      Personal website with contacts: http://curvedinfinity.com
      Shenandoah hot lap 1:46.92: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmYq3mBbwPg

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      04-12-2012 11:18 PM #7
      Nope, I specifically bought my house because it was cheap and 6 miles from my job. If we don't go out of town on the weekend, a 10-gallon tank will last me over a month.

100 miles each way is ridiculous. At five days per week and 50 weeks per year, that is 50k a year. At 60 MPH that works out to 833 hours, or thirty-four 24-hour days in the car. Your car would have 150k miles after just three years!

No thanks. You would basically get up a 5 a.m., drive two hours to work, work 'til 5, drive two hours home, get home around 7, eat, visit with people for 30 minutes, then crash immediately and repeat the next day.
      Last edited by adrew; 04-12-2012 at 11:22 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio • Come make some hard cider

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      04-12-2012 11:19 PM #8
      The article basically says the guy moved AWAY from his job deliberately, in order to enjoy the country life.

He grew up in Fayetteville, Texas, halfway between Austin and Houston, then moved to Houston to be closer to his job. But after just a year and a half in the big city, he moved back to the much smaller Fayetteville community (population: 258) to start and raise a family. On the weekends, Beseda, his wife, and their four kids go fishing in a pond near their home and on Sundays, the whole family –- cousins, aunts and uncles who also live in town -- have a big dinner together. It’s a family tradition, Beseda said, and that means more to him than living closer to his place of employment.

“For me, being out there in the country, what I know and what I love, that is where I want to be,” he said.
      I know a lot of people do the same. You get a larger and newer home, a 2-car garage and a yard for your kids to play in, as long as you are willing to suffer through a long commute.

At the moment it's not for me. My commute, 6-7 mins each way.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

Vehicles
      '07 Mini Cooper S, '91 318is Frankenstien With a built eta swap.
      04-12-2012 11:19 PM #9
      I've got ~1mile of bicycling.
      I would NEVER commute that far on a daily basis. Damn near 4 hours a way simply wasted.
      I especially don't get why people would think that was a better situation for raising a family. Get home later than 7, have to go to bed early to get up at the ass-crack of dawn. 3-4 hours for family, chores and me time. Hell no.

I think I could deal with a total of 30min, one way, before I hated my life...now if it was Public transit, that might be different, I could make use of that time to some extent.
      Last edited by Robstr; 04-12-2012 at 11:24 PM.
      All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Vehicles
      1994 Honda Prelude V-TAK
      04-12-2012 11:20 PM #10
      I used to commute 70km each way to and from school in toronto traffic...absolutely terrible. 1h45 to 2h's of mostly bumper to bumper traffic. May not have been as much distance as some of you but i'd take twice that distance for normal highway cruising speeds.

I remember many times where i'd just scream at the top of my lungs for as long as I could and man oh man did it feel great...good thing I had tinted windows

11. 04-12-2012 11:21 PM #11
      I commute from western Elgin/Pingree Grove IL to the city every day. Its about 1.5 -2 hours, but I use public transportation, so its just a time expense to me.
      2012 Toyota Prius 3, Blizzard White/Gray
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon

Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      04-12-2012 11:22 PM #12
      30 miles to work, 5 days a week
      54 miles to school, 3 days a week

...so 3 days a week I drive 84 miles a day
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn’t mine.

04-12-2012 11:25 PM #13
      My wife used to drive to Cleveland every day. We did it because it was the only thing that was available to us, and she drove it in a Volvo S80. She recently got a closer job, and it was a total Godsend. Having those 2.5 hours back a day makes all the difference in the world.

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C |

14. Member In 4 Bagels, Left Hungry's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06 Civic Si, 98 M3 convertible
      04-12-2012 11:28 PM #14
      I used to live in chicago, worked in mt. prospect (northwest suburbs) and lived in lincoln park (north city basically). Commute was about 1 hour to work and 1.5 hours coming home at night.

(BTW, metra wasn't an option for me, our office wasn't close to the mt. p stop)

Vehicles
      Mustang GT
      04-12-2012 11:30 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by In 4 Bagels, Left Hungry View Post
      I used to live in chicago, worked in mt. prospect (northwest suburbs) and lived in lincoln park (north city basically). Commute was about 1 hour to work and 1.5 hours coming home at night.

(BTW, metra wasn't an option for me, our office wasn't close to the mt. p stop)
      but didn't getting to tell people you live in lincoln park make it all worth it?
      The good news: I gave up on being one of the cool kids!

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      04-12-2012 11:32 PM #16
      52.7 miles each way.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      04-12-2012 11:32 PM #17
      After a career change last year, I now drive 30 miles each way, two days a week -- and work from home the rest of the time. No more trains, buses, planes, subways or bicycles for me. Phew.....

I honestly believe some of these people who willingly carry on with such drastic commutes are actually doing it because they don't WANT to be near their family all that much. They'll put on a brave face about it, or worse, they'll make you think they're f-ing HEROES for their sacrifice. But deep down, if they really wanted a family life that revolved around actually being "there" with them (not just physically, but mentally too)....... then they would relocate.

Families can handle relocation just fine, it's happened for hundreds of years in America. It's really not a big deal.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC
      04-12-2012 11:34 PM #18
      I do 120 miles a day round trip... and 1000 miles every other weekend to see my kids (divorced)
      Last edited by VwG60Kid; 04-12-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Vehicles
      CC Rline
      04-12-2012 11:34 PM #19
      When I first moved to GA I was 63 miles one way from work... But straight highway in an ALH Tdi with very little traffic and it was not too bad

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      04-12-2012 11:40 PM #20
      F that, I hate my commute and its 27mi/45mins each way, and that's cake compared to what's being mentioned
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      Torque is how many crubs and briks you can sled into. Horsepower is how fast you can sled into them, multiplied by how load your cam knock is.

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      04-12-2012 11:41 PM #21
      Used to. I now have a 15mi commute.

My last job I originally worked about 45 mi away, but I could take the train. But then I got moved to our other office 60mi away, no train.
      That sucked.

The economy is too bad to quit jobs, and I wasn't going to move.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

22. Member
      Vehicles
      E36 M3/4, R55 Clubman S
      04-12-2012 11:42 PM #22
      65 miles each way but I do about 40 of those by train.

Vehicles
      1988 Trans Am
      04-12-2012 11:43 PM #23
      My longest commute ever was 12 miles round trip. Would have to be a hell of a job to spend that much time and money commuting 190 miles each. I would have to visit the gas station every day. As much as I like driving that is too much.

24. 04-12-2012 11:46 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by 200HP4dr View Post
      My wife used to drive to Cleveland every day. We did it because it was the only thing that was available to us, and she drove it in a Volvo S80. She recently got a closer job, and it was a total Godsend. Having those 2.5 hours back a day makes all the difference in the world.

Chris
      Where the hell in NE Ohio did you live that a drive to Cleveland (unless west side) was 1.25 hours each way?

I can make it from Solon to Cleveland in 20 minutes.
      Auburn to Cleveland in 45 w/ traffic.

Not to mention the numerous back roads that if traffic is bad can be taken...

Vehicles
      99.5 B5 A4 Casa White, 09 Jetta, 99 Cabrio (92 Corrado)
      04-12-2012 11:47 PM #25
      I live 2 miles from work. With all greens I can be there in 5 mins

I do feel for those who have ridiculous commutes. So much of your time/life is eaten up by a commute.
      Family First

Vehicles
      1.8T, 6.6L Duramax, 235 Thriftmaster, 2.0 Boxer
      04-12-2012 11:49 PM #26
      I've been doing 50 miles a day for 5 years.
      Most of it is twisty wooded back roads in PA . I could move closer and into PA from DE but my property taxes would double or triple.
      Of course it's company policy never to, imply ownership in the event of a dildo... always use the indefinite article a dildo, never your dildo.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      04-12-2012 11:50 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      I honestly believe some of these people who willingly carry on with such drastic commutes are actually doing it because they don't WANT to be near their family all that much. They'll put on a brave face about it, or worse, they'll make you think they're f-ing HEROES for their sacrifice. But deep down, if they really wanted a family life that revolved around actually being "there" with them (not just physically, but mentally too)....... then they would relocate.
      To many it's a quality of life issue, not for them, but their family. I'm single, so I can get away with living smack-dab in the middle of Chicago. If I had a wife and kids to worry about, yeah, I might buy a house in small town Indiana where we could get something nice and roomy for less than a 1-bedroom condo in the city, where there's less risk of them getting shivved in school without me paying $10k/year/kid for the privilige, where maybe my salary means the mrs could stay at home with them full-time, and so on - that would be worth it to me. The aggravation of the drive, and the lost hours.

And if you want to go all old-timey - being all up in your kids' business 24/7 is a recent convention, when farmers and tradesmen worked 10 hours a day and 7 days a week. Until recently in human history, you saw your parents regularly when you were old enough to start working for them, for free.
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

28. 04-12-2012 11:52 PM #28
      his commute would not be bad at all.. if it were not for the stupid part about it.. the roads are full of cops trying to get you for speeding over the limit, especially on that stretch of I-10 past Katy going into Houston city limit. that section is aggravating, 60 mph limit on an huge wide empty highway in Texas
      Last edited by rlydntgvasht; 04-12-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      04-12-2012 11:58 PM #29
      i got 30 miles each way, typically takes 45min-1hr
      60 rt daily
      300 / week in LA traffic, thats 15.6 K / year, but im doing about 24-25K year, so seems like all the snowboarding / camping trips add up to another 9K /year

Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      04-12-2012 11:58 PM #30
      During the school year my commute is 20~ miles each way, and I drive. During holidays/the summer I usually ride the 5-6 miles to work on my bike. Driving takes half an hour, riding takes less than 15 minutes(it's pretty level, and if I'm feeling spry I can average about 23 MPH according to my cycling computer).

I can't imagine commuting more than an hour each way. It's madness!
      1998 VW Golf Mk.III 5dr/1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

04-12-2012 11:58 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green
      The real world is more ruthless than TCL, and sensitivity was never one of Darwin's strong points.

32. 04-13-2012 12:08 AM #32
      20 minute commute, with options:

Carve the mountain highway on a motorcycle
      Do the same in an old BMW
      or ride a free bus to snooze an extra 20 minutes that morning.

Life sucks, eh?
      call it potatography

33. 04-13-2012 12:21 AM #33
      Across the city... 14.6KM (9 miles) which takes 18 minutes according to google maps.

I've been averaging 12,000KM (7500 miles) a year with my car.

One of the positives of living in a city with a population of 200,000 with bridgeless, straight roads.
      Last edited by DedRok; 04-13-2012 at 12:29 AM.
      To be a Rok, and not to roll

Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and 2011 Audi Q5 2.0T
      04-13-2012 12:39 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      I'm a pico commuter. I walk 0.001 miles to work every day.
      Same here. Have a home office which means my biggest challenge is keeping my commuting buddy from eating my cereal on our way to work. I feel for colleagues and friends with long commutes, especially on snow days.

04-13-2012 12:42 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      Where the hell in NE Ohio did you live that a drive to Cleveland (unless west side) was 1.25 hours each way?

I can make it from Solon to Cleveland in 20 minutes.
      Auburn to Cleveland in 45 w/ traffic.

Not to mention the numerous back roads that if traffic is bad can be taken...
      Canton to Fairview Hospital. Straight up 77. At 5:30. Traffic is solid pretty much all the way up there.

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C |

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast