Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Sad, new driving trend: Are you a "super commuter"?

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      04-13-2012 11:24 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Many businesses require that new people spend at least a year in the office before starting telework. That'd obviate a lot of that. But really...even if that's so...I think the benefits outweigh the costs, and there's nothing there that's fundamental to the telework process anyway. It could all be resolved with better training.
      its per team at my company.
      remote teams hire people who will never sit in the office, it just the nature of a consulting team. cannot really work around it.

and at that. what is the benefit to being new, sitting in an office for a year... and having your whole team telework, so you never see them anyways? might as well allow telework from day 1.

for my team specifically, the manager determines telework eligibility case by case, but its around 6-9 months.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache - Bing Rewards

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      Bork bork bork!
      04-13-2012 11:26 AM #127
      I've been griping about moving 4-5 miles further away from work to get a house we like and a school district we're comfortable with, but I guess 16.5 miles each way isn't that bad compared to a lot of you guys. The longest commute in this city is 45-50 minutes (25-30 mi) TOPS.

Say what you want about fly-over country, but we don't have to put up with this 2-hour commute nonsense.
      09 gti | 10 xc70 | seventwosix | flickr

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-13-2012 11:27 AM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Not only did you describe Dr Woo's boss, you described mine, as well. And as an Associate Commissioner, he's entrenched in his postion and won't be going anywhere soon.
      I had a meeting with some BLM folks one day, and the local panjandrum was one of that type and was being a pain in the ass in fine style. Finally, he left everybody to hash out the details once he was satisfied he'd put his stamp on the proceedings, and the guy sitting to my left got this naughty look on his face and went back to his office for a moment. Returned with a little voodoo doll of the boss.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '10 GOLF TDI
      04-13-2012 11:29 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      This is somewhere one can speed things up. When I desire more sleep, I can be out the door in under 20 min.
      i've walked out the door from time i work up with in 3 min in same clothes from day before
      i walk downstairs to my car, drive 30 miles, park, walk upstairs to my office and sit at my desk all day *(mostly on VWvortex ) end of day i walk down to my car, drive home, and walk upstairs to my apt. i never break a sweat, so same T'shirt 2 days in a row is not big deal

5. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      04-13-2012 11:33 AM #130
      I used to have a 120 mile round trip commute when I did construction management. This wasn't counting the additional 50+ miles I drove on some days when I was running 2+ job sites.

*shrugs* didn't bother me one bit. The pay was excellent

04-13-2012 11:35 AM #131
      My daily commute is 135 miles. Been doing it for 2 years now. I don't mind the two hours a day I get to drive, but it does get old on snowy or late days at work. I do about 45k miles a year on my TDI, that includes a lot of traveling on the weekends too.
      2012 Candy White Jetta Sport Wagon TDI

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      04-13-2012 11:35 AM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      you said its the solution. but its not. even sitting behind a computer, if you are in the same building you build a sense of commuting and trust with your fellow teammates and other internal customers... that you just do not get with remote teams.

i have seen this in action. my team of technical consultants all sit in our office in Redmond, WA, except for 1 hire in Minneapolis.

just on our team, you can see that the team functions better together when they are in the office. the single remote worker is behind the learning curve because she doesnt get exposed to 'office chatter' the way the rest of us do. the people in the office talk about work, chat about home, joke and such. the remote team member talks to us in IM when she needs help, daily, and on the phone at a handful of meetings a month.

even further out from just my team. we work on 2-3 person implementation project teams. one of my guys, and one to two members from remote teams. the remote teams have very little support structure. they are hesitant to talk to their teammates. they seldom seem to reach out to their management structure for help/answers. they try to answer all questions and learn everything on their own... often coming to an incorrect conclusion or only a partial understanding of what is happening in our product. this is not isolated to a couple of remote people here or there... i see this type of behavior across the approx 100+ remote workers that i have contact with within regular business throughout a month.

This is all just improper management and neglect of the policies to address team building in the beginning of employment or through regular meetings. The official policy where I work is you have to be there for a year in the office everyday before you can telework; this is to build trust with management and ensure you are a productive worker, as well as meet everyone face-to-face. I know with other places there is normally a time period before you can telework. I also still have to go in 3-4 days a week; you are assuming someone began a new job and immediately works remotely. I have actually not seen this in any circumstances, but I'm sure there are companies that do this.

It sounds like your problem is that all these remote teams are contractors and not under the same employment or just very disenfranchised from the main "office" as you say. There are ways to remedy that. Also, the "chatter" you mention is actually why I'm more productive working from home- people don't bug me, and when I'm at work, a large majority are "chatting" about non-work related things, and this is a reason why the people who believe working from home is less productive are simply kidding themselves. People in the office tend to take more breaks, have more distractions, chat it up with co-workers more, etc.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi A6 2014 VW CC
      04-13-2012 11:42 AM #133
      My requirement when relocating to VA was to buy a house within 5 miles from work and going against traffic. The extra hour and half I save everyday compared to most of my co-workers that move out to Ashburn / Leesburg and beyond adds up to nearly 400 hours / year. I'll take a smaller house with no commute over a big house with a long commute anyday.

And it isn’t unusual for passengers to take a plane to and from work five days a week.
      I think I would shoot myself.

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 11:45 AM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      This is all just improper management and neglect of the policies to address team building in the beginning of employment or through regular meetings. The official policy where I work is you have to be there for a year in the office everyday before you can telework; this is to build trust with management and ensure you are a productive worker, as well as meet everyone face-to-face. I know with other places there is normally a time period before you can telework.
      to address this again.

when every single person you will work with is remote, how does going into an office matter?

we have teams where the manager lives in Cali. the lead lives in Atlanta. and the team mates live in , Chicago, New York, Tennesee, Virgina, Texas and Florida. for a new person to hire into this team and spend a year in the office... where do you propose they do this?

and again. what good would it do for this new person to go to our office in MN, when not a single member of their team or leadership will be there with them?
      epitome

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 11:47 AM #135
      It sounds like your problem is that all these remote teams are contractors and not under the same employment or just very disenfranchised from the main "office" as you say. There are ways to remedy that. Also, the "chatter" you mention is actually why I'm more productive working from home- people don't bug me, and when I'm at work, a large majority are "chatting" about non-work related things, and this is a reason why the people who believe working from home is less productive are simply kidding themselves. People in the office tend to take more breaks, have more distractions, chat it up with co-workers more, etc.
      they are not contractors. consultants live outside the office. this is normal life for consulting orgs.

the chatter can annoy. where headphones.
      but i am talking more about people asking questions over cube walls. being able to be shown things in person. hearing things over the walls, which you can reference later... or that you can provide input into.
      epitome

Vehicles
      '09 VW Golf VI 1.4 TSI, '14 Trek Madone 4.7, '13 Trek Fuel EX 9.8
      04-13-2012 11:49 AM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by Robstr View Post
      I think I could deal with a total of 30min, one way, before I hated my life...
      That's what I do and it's at my limit. The good thing is I sometimes carpool with a guy who works in the same company. I've got company on my commute and I leave my car home every now and then. Why I live that far? Price of housing, basically.
      Previously known as Son of a B...5er!

12. 04-13-2012 11:50 AM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by Chmeeee View Post
      There are two big problems that lead people to think that they have to live far away from work.

If you want the big house on the big land, that's fine, but don't tell me that you can't afford to live closer. You can, you just don't want to.
      I have to live far away from the city because I do not want to live in the city.
      Seems like a good reason to live far away from the city.

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 11:52 AM #138
      to address this again.

when every single person you will work with is remote, how does going into an office matter?

we have teams where the manager lives in Cali. the lead lives in Atlanta. and the team mates live in , Chicago, New York, Tennesee, Virgina, Texas and Florida. for a new person to hire into this team and spend a year in the office... where do you propose they do this?

and again. what good would it do for this new person to go to our office in MN, when not a single member of their team or leadership will be there with them?
      I'm very familiar with a large organization that operates like this..with many remote sites and multiple managers/teams working on projects. They address this by scheduling monthly meetings where everyone flies in to one location for a few days to meet face-to-face and having status calls routinely. It's expensive to fly everyone all the time like that, but it works for them. I'm not suggesting anyone has to spend a year- that is just where I work and is not possible in a situation like you are describing, but there are other ways. You seem to just be coming up with excuses for why this isn't working in your organization, but so far every excuse I've seen is related to other issues and nothing to do with the issue of remote workplaces. Certain people/personalities probably aren't suited to telework, you have to be very independent and a self motivator and not someone who needs a micro-manager.

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2008 silver family thing
      04-13-2012 11:53 AM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by Gienek View Post
      My daily commute is 135 miles. Been doing it for 2 years now. I don't mind the two hours a day I get to drive, but it does get old on snowy or late days at work. I do about 45k miles a year on my TDI, that includes a lot of traveling on the weekends too.
      I'm one of "those guys" who paid for a more expensive townhouse to be closer to work + better school district. And yes I complain when my 20minute commute becomes 45, which is nothing compared to yours. I do get the TDI choice when you're commuting that amount of miles/year.

For teleworking, the our agency recently adopted the (IT guys help me here) conferencing system where you can either call in and view through the web or if you have a newer system use both the mic/speakers/cam on the computer to conference. It'll probably be years before this is standardized for federal service, but with most people having high speed at home, this is far better than the old school telecon.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 11:58 AM #140
      clipped.
      we are far enough off topic.

to revert.

telework is not the magic bullet solution to super commuting.
      it CAN be a good option sometimes.

but there are better. like, live near work instead of 2 states away.
      epitome

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      04-13-2012 12:04 PM #141
      jesus christ... I walk 1 mile to my train, get on that and go to work...

This type of 'supercommuting' wouldn't exist if we had a better national public transportation system

04-13-2012 12:08 PM #142
      Let's not forget, some people hate their spouse/families and actually relish the 1.5 hours of alone time in their car on the way too and from work. They can pick their nose, or fart or jerk off in peace.

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 12:16 PM #143
      we are far enough off topic.

to revert.

telework is not the magic bullet solution to super commuting.
      it CAN be a good option sometimes.

but there are better. like, live near work instead of 2 states away.
      Well then to be MORE on topic, I imagine the situation you are describing applies to less than 1% of the workforce. There is a large part of the workforce still out there spending needless gas, time, and money commuting. There could be a LOT more teleworking going on than there is currently, due to outdated workplace policies. That was my "original" point.

04-13-2012 12:16 PM #144
      i dont think i could ever commute an hour to work, probably 45 minutes would be my upper limit and it would have to be a nice drive or on a motorcycle

last summer i was commuting half an hour on a longboard every day downhill through city traffic. it was awesome. the ride/walk back after the metro shut down kinda sucked though.

also, working for progressive companies is the only way to go. the whole coming to work on time/actually going in to work is so old fashioned.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

20. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      trophy wife convertible, old british things
      04-13-2012 12:27 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      This type of 'supercommuting' wouldn't exist if we had a better national public transportation system
      that sounds a lot like government handouts... or something poor people might use.

my commute is about 30 minutes door to door going 60-70 the whole time, and i think thats about all i can stand, at least until fuel gets even more expensive.

04-13-2012 12:30 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      that sounds a lot like government handouts... or something poor people might use.

in all seriousness, im dying for some high speed rail.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

22. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      04-13-2012 12:34 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      Poor people don't usually commute; as they don't usually work, let alone drive/travel to a good paying job.

If they did; they wouldn't be poor

Vehicles
      Silver Arrow VR
      04-13-2012 12:34 PM #148
      in the winter i have a 3 kilometer (2 miles) drive that takes about 15 minutes. in the summer that turns into a 20 minute longboard or a 10 minute bike. **** commuting
      Quote Originally Posted by rankadoodle
      Who wants to ride some 20 year old honda that works all of the time no matter what. Thats boring as hell.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwjettaman97 View Post
      Were do you get 4x100 crome deepdish rims??
      THE SILVER SLED
      █ ♣ █

24. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      trophy wife convertible, old british things
      04-13-2012 12:36 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by dubinsincuwereindiapers View Post
      If they did; they wouldn't be poor
      go on...
      http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpswp2009.pdf

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      04-13-2012 12:38 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Let's not forget, some people hate their spouse/families and actually relish the 1.5 hours of alone time in their car on the way too and from work. They can pick their nose, or fart or jerk off in peace.
      Or some of us are sad lonely people that the only thing waiting for us to get home is the cat.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast