Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Having a hard time finding the right job!

Vehicles
      Audi a4 b6 (current)2.slow (sold) Jetta wolfsburg(sold)2001 VR(RIP)
      04-13-2012 12:22 AM #1
      delete
      Last edited by mymkivrubs; 04-16-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 05:11 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Lovemusicc View Post
      [IMG]http://www.****************[/IMG]LOL
      Employment is no joke

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      04-13-2012 04:12 PM #3
      What types of jobs do you feel are "right" for you? It appears, by the resume you posted, that you have minimum wage level experience.

Off the top of my head, your resume is overly laden with repeated puffery statements, that, while mildly entertaining, does nothing to convince the reader that you have value or meaningful experience to offer. You've been a stockboy, movie theater worker, and a basic admin, but instead you've used way trite statements that make it appear as though you've done more than serve popcorn, stock shelves, and make copies.

Your grammar within the resume is poor. For example, you may have fluency in Spanish and English, but more accurately you are fluent in Spanish & English. Also, as an aside, unless you can read and write fluently in both languages, you are not considered fluent. If you can translate into writing both Spanish & English, that is a marketable skill.

Non-interrupt may indeed be a word somewhere, but in your sentence you should have used uninterrupted.

What's an example of a far reaching communication skill?

So again, what types of positions are you seeking that you aren't finding? You will most likely need to get another entry-level position and then learn how to add value and take on more responsibility. It might take several years to do that.

Vehicles
      04-13-2012 04:48 PM #4
      You may think that i am a 40 year old who's only experience is with entry level positions and dealing with unhappy or annoying customers. This is not the case. I have recently graduated from High school, about to start my freshman year in college.

I have been working since i was 15 years old. Never did my parents every pay for any of my extras. I know what it means to work hard and be an asset for a company. Unfortunately for the last position that i had, there were not many hours given.

That being said, I am struggling to pay for college and keep a hobby that i enjoy the most, Working on my car.

I am looking for a job where i can make a little extra so i can keep my hobby and graduate.

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-16-2012 08:35 PM #5
      I'd not take offense to Dave's critique; he's a professional recruiter with a lot of years' experience and is telling you exactly how he's reading your resume.

Do you understand the value in that?

As another professional recruiter, I echo what Dave said to the letter. Your resume has too much fluff and isn't well written.

What you want to tell me is what you offer. Never tell me what you want. Also never just provide a list of job tasks; instead, tell me your 'before and after story' for each job--how did you make it a better place than when you started? What'd you differently?

What makes you stand out from the other 250 resumes I'm going to get from my Craigslist posting? Why should I read further--or pick up the phone and call you?

As to "where do you fit in"--that's a question only you can answer. You've done service jobs and a low-level admin gig. Given that, I'd say you should look for something that 1) gives you flexibility to attend school, 2) Is a reasonable commute, 3) Might let you work into something related to your course of study (if possible).

Vehicles
      04-16-2012 09:17 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I'd not take offense to Dave's critique; he's a professional recruiter with a lot of years' experience and is telling you exactly how he's reading your resume.

Do you understand the value in that?

As another professional recruiter, I echo what Dave said to the letter. Your resume has too much fluff and isn't well written.

What you want to tell me is what you offer. Never tell me what you want. Also never just provide a list of job tasks; instead, tell me your 'before and after story' for each job--how did you make it a better place than when you started? What'd you differently?

What makes you stand out from the other 250 resumes I'm going to get from my Craigslist posting? Why should I read further--or pick up the phone and call you?

As to "where do you fit in"--that's a question only you can answer. You've done service jobs and a low-level admin gig. Given that, I'd say you should look for something that 1) gives you flexibility to attend school, 2) Is a reasonable commute, 3) Might let you work into something related to your course of study (if possible).
      Thanks you guys for the input. I landed myself a job.