Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: To Refinish or Replace....

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      97 trek
      04-13-2012 12:25 AM #1
      I have a CF Hood, which has seen better days. Structurally the hood is in GREAT shape, no cracks or chips, just needs a little TLC. I did some research on this matter via google but i thought i would ask here to see what you guys would say.

Is it worth it to try and refinish it? Or just more efficient to buy a new one and call it a day?

I would imagine some wet sanding with a 1800 or 2000 Grit and hit it with a good waxing and then clearing it and some type of UV would help it greatly. But would it break it down to much to the point it would be worse looking?

If anyone has done something like this before or knows of a "How To" or "DIY" i would be very interested in seeing how something like this would turn out.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      95 Golf VR6
      04-13-2012 12:49 AM #2
      Rubbing compound? Stuff works wonders if your clears not peeling
      Quote Originally Posted by fastmaxxcooper View Post
      the first thing i did when i replaced my ignition switch was take a 2 lb hammer smash the old ignition switch into oblivion while the new switch was watching and i told it, "you ****ing give me the same **** and I'll do the same to you!!"

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      97 trek
      04-13-2012 08:11 AM #3
      I will get a good photo of the hood this afternoon and get it on here. Maybe from there you guys will get a better idea of what im working with.

Vehicles
      '97 GTI 2.0 (v2.0) // '94 Golf 2.slow auto // '83 Rabbit Diesel
      04-13-2012 11:52 AM #4
      alot of people here will tell you that the CF hood should just be swapped for an OEM but thats all a personal taste issue.

Vehicles
      A few cars
      04-13-2012 11:57 AM #5
      Why don't you paint it to match the car color? Get the weight savings of the carbon hood, without it looking tacky.

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta TDI w/445k, 2014 Jetta TDI w/Premium
      04-13-2012 03:28 PM #6
      Is the CF really any lighter, especially once it's painted?

Quote Originally Posted by Filthydubber View Post
      Why don't you paint it to match the car color? Get the weight savings of the carbon hood, without it looking tacky.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      97 trek
      04-13-2012 04:49 PM #7
      See i had thought of the option of painting it as well, but for a GOOD paint job on a CF hood its gonna run a good 3-$400 with all the prep that goes into painting one, at that point i could use that money to just buy a whole new one, or go with a brand new OEM. From what i hear there not easy to paint and if not done right in 2-3 years you could be back to square 1 again.

As far as weight, it would still be lighter then a steel hood, how much i dunno. But im sure it would still be considerable. Ill get a photo up here shortly of the hood, maybe its not in as rough shape as i originally thought and a little TLC might make it all new again.

OEM is still an option, i just figured for the little money to try and fix it, it would be worth the shot and if all else fails back to an OEM.

8. 04-13-2012 06:31 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VdUb517 View Post
      go with a brand new OEM. back to an OEM.
      This.