Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TT-RS Brakes & Pads

Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      04-13-2012 12:32 AM #1
      Looking for some insight on a good brake upgrade. Something good for both street and a little bit track.

Would changing pads, lines and fluid be considered a decent upgrade/mod?

I know there have been some posts somewhere but...

At least the car doesn't have brake dust issues. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Member
      04-13-2012 01:43 AM #2
      I bought some 600+ degree fluid and a bleeding kit from ECS Tuning before the car arrived. I've been waiting for the weather to warm up a little before performing the bleed so I can't comment on the effectiveness yet. I don't mind the stock pads so I'm going to wait for them to wear down a bit before replacing them. However, they're the same as the 2010 STI so they're easy to find online in any compound you desire. The pedal feel is slightly mushy so I'm hoping that the fluid change will help, but it would likely take some new lines to firm it up. I just don't know if I'm willing to make that swap.

I'm definitely planning on buying this rear rotor upgrade kit to increase the size by 20mm and get drilled rotors to match the front. I just need to get off my lazy ass and place the order.

http://racing-shop-germany.com/K-Spo...inten-330x22mm

- Jeremy -
      Last edited by - Jeremy -; 04-13-2012 at 01:47 AM.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS
      04-13-2012 10:16 AM #3
      I installed stock size rear drilled rotors,removed backing plates,installed Pagid RS4-2 Blue compound pads - waiting for front stainless lines (have rears) to flush and fill w/ Motul.

Vehicles
      2012 Black TT-RS • GIAC Stage 2 • AWE SP Exhaust • AWE Intercooler • 034 M Sway • 034 SS Brake Lines
      04-13-2012 01:23 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by DesertTTRS View Post
      I installed stock size rear drilled rotors,removed backing plates,installed Pagid RS4-2 Blue compound pads - waiting for front stainless lines (have rears) to flush and fill w/ Motul.
      Where can I find those stainless lines and pads? Did you buy them online? Thanks!

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS
      04-14-2012 12:23 AM #5
      Pads from LPI Racing Livermore CA Phone (925)292-5522 P/N Pagid 2487_RS4-2_1690 for Subaru STI. Rear rotors and stainless rear lines from Twin T Development Las Vegas (702)917-5055

Vehicles
      2007 BMW Z4M Coupe, 2008 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Coupe
      04-14-2012 07:36 AM #6
      J662- are you hoping to improve any particular aspect the brakes? Pedal feel? Stopping distance? Noise? Fade resistance?

Fluid - Motul RBF 600 or Brembo LCF 600+ are great racing fluids that will help with reducing fade when repeatedly pushed e.g., on a track. But a racing fluid also tends to be more hygroscopic and should be flushed more frequently.

Pads- lots of choices here. If you say what you are looking for, people can offer you options based on experience or pad specs.

Lines- stainless lines are a great upgrade for consistent pedal feel as they dont expand and contract like rubber lines.

Rotors - Weight is a consideration as is venting style. I tend to stay away from aftermarket drilled rotors as if not drilled right and chamfered properly, they will start to crack at the holes. Seen it many times on track.

Calipers - Piston size front to rear to get the right bias and cooling capacity are important here. I have a square StopTech BBK at all 4 corners of my M Coupe and it has reduced pedal pressure needed to stop the car, stopping distances are shorter as I can brake deeper and later and it preserbes the fluid well that I can do 2-3 track days before a flush/bleed.
      2007 BMW Z4M Coupe, 2008 Audi TT 3.2 Coupe Quattro 6MT

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 OB Q7 S, 2012 PB TTRS
      04-14-2012 12:01 PM #7
      I suggest the Stoptech BBK...doubt you "need" it on the rear, though. SS lines. Motul 600. Performance Friction 01 pads.

That combo worked great on my TTS.
      2011 Orca Black Q7 S-Line
      2012 Phantom Black TTRS (Tech Pack, Sport Exhaust Titanium Pack, Heated Seats)
      1999 Spec Miata #46

8. Member
      04-22-2012 07:51 AM #8
      J662,
      I will do the following...

Fluid - ENDLESS RF650
      This is sold in 0.5ltr bottles and you will need 5x to fully and 'properly' flush out old for this. The key advantage with this fluid I found is that it is stable and progressive in use. Most other fluids are digressive in use.

The bleeding cycle is reportedly longer in comparison to the competition. I have just stated using ENDLESS Rf650 and can report that it 'feels' so re-assuring when braking VERY late on track...for example braking after the pit lane straight at Brands Hatch...the track drops down at the end of the straight and I used to hate that particular straight...no more with the ENDLESS RF650 fluid...I was giggling each time I braked later with total confidence...!

Pads
      For the fronts, I will take a look at Performance Friction (PFC) Z-rated pads - reportedly excellent for streets and good enough for light track use. I have the PFC01 which is too powerful for me even on track using street tyres so I will be giving the PFC08 compound a try next. They are reportedly just as good as the PFC01, not as powerful though however produces less heat and dust.

For the rears, I went for Pagid RS-19 and would advise this to anyone who wants a stable braking. It essentially shift braking bias to the rear a little - which is a good thing on the TT-RS as it stops the rears from wobbling.

Lines
      Stainless lines are a no brainer if you want to get a consistant feel...that is what I found anyway.

Rotors
      I would still keep OEM all round and try the above fluid, steel lines and pad changes first.

Calipers
      I would still keep OEM all round and try the above fluid, steel lines and pad changes first.

WB
      Last edited by 996cab; 05-20-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Vehicles
      04-22-2012 09:03 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 996cab View Post
      J662,
      I will do the following...

Fluid - ENDLESS RF650
      This is sold in 0.5ltr bottles and you will need 5x to fully and 'properly' flush out old for this. The key advantage with this fluid I found is that it is stable and progressive in use. Most other fluids are digressive in use.

The bleeding cycle is reportedly longer in comparison to the competition. I have just stated using ENDLESS Rf650 and can report that it 'feels' so re-assuring when braking VERY late on track...for example braking after the pit lane straight at Brands Hatch...the track drops down at the end of the straight and I used to hate that particular straight...no more with the ENDLESS RF650 fluid...I was giggling each time I braked later with total confidence...!

Pads
      For the fronts, I will take a look at Performance Friction (PFC) Z-rated pads - reportedly excellent for streets and good enough for light track use. I have the PFC01 which is too powerful for me even on track using street tyres so I will be giving the PFC08 compound a try next. They are reportedly just as good as the PFC01, not as powerful thoigh however produces less heat and dust.

For the rears, I went for Pagid RS-19 and would advise this to anyone who wants a stable braking. It essentially shoft braking bias to the rear a little - which is a good thing on the TT-RS as it stops the rears from wobbling.

Lines
      Stainless lines are a no brainer if you want to get a consistant feel...that is what I found anyway.

Rotors

Calipers

WB
      Appreciate the info. That's exactly the solution I'm looking for.

10. 04-26-2012 11:57 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by J662 View Post
      Looking for some insight on a good brake upgrade. Something good for both street and a little bit track.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 03:17 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by R5T View Post

Those are killer. Where can you buy that setup?

12. 04-26-2012 03:38 PM #12

OEMPlus carries them, prices are around $20k for the setup.

http://www.oemplus.com/brake-convers...mic-p-497.html

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 05:05 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post

Omg 20k!

04-26-2012 06:38 PM #14
      Omg 20k!

Let's organize a group buy and get 10% off, that'll do it!
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray, Tech Pack, Heated Alcantara, CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, DG Rear Valence, wrapped in Avery Dark Grey Matte Metallic and Gloss Black
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Sport Springs, HRE P40, AWE Boost Gauge, Tinted Tails, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield
      Winter: Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; Track: TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TTRS, 2012 Audi Q5 2.0TDI S-Line
      04-26-2012 07:23 PM #15

Looks unreal!! Wish we could've gotten that as an option over here in Aus - I'd have gotten it for way cheaper!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post

Even the option for the RS5 carbon ceramics are about 15k... Not sure why this is 20k!!! That is HUGE money but for 20k I'd be doing a lot of other things including upgrading pads/rotors and have change!!
      '12 Audi TT RS, Phantom Black, Manual
      Bose Sound System inc Audi Music Interface and TV Reception
      Blackout Pack by GmbH + GmbH 19' Titanium Look Alloy Wheels + Dark Window Tint
      Extended Leather Package With Heated Recaro Bucket Seats + LED Interior Lighting Package
      Adaptive Headlights & Tyre Pressure Monitor

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 12:53 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Black BeauTTy View Post
      Let's organize a group buy and get 10% off, that'll do it!
      Haha. That would then make it an affordable 19,800. What a bargain.

04-27-2012 02:25 PM #17
      Haha. That would then make it an affordable 19,800. What a bargain.

LOL, you're off a decimal place...it'll be a "reasonable" 18K! Who's in?
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray, Tech Pack, Heated Alcantara, CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, DG Rear Valence, wrapped in Avery Dark Grey Matte Metallic and Gloss Black
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Sport Springs, HRE P40, AWE Boost Gauge, Tinted Tails, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield
      Winter: Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; Track: TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

Vehicles
      04-27-2012 02:56 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Black BeauTTy View Post
      LOL, you're off a decimal place...it'll be a "reasonable" 18K! Who's in?
      Oh oops. 18k is much better! I'm in.

Vehicles
      05-08-2012 07:17 PM #19
      What do you guys think of the standard braking package? I think it's very powerful but something lacks.. It's not as bity as I like and it lacks some serious feel through my pedal..

Does anyone else feel this?

Surprisingly these pads don't appear to wear down much if at all! (I drive her hard hehe).

I've been recommended the Ferodo RS2500 (I think that's what it's called - can't remember) haha.

Would changing the pads make such a difference to the feel in the pedal, braking power and bityness?
      Extended Leather Package With Heated Recaro Bucket Seats + LED Interior Lighting Package

20. Member
      05-09-2012 01:40 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by joshsmith View Post
      What do you guys think of the standard braking package? I think it's very powerful but something lacks.. It's not as bity as I like and it lacks some serious feel through my pedal..

Does anyone else feel this?

Surprisingly these pads don't appear to wear down much if at all! (I drive her hard hehe).

I've been recommended the Ferodo RS2500 (I think that's what it's called - can't remember) haha.

Would changing the pads make such a difference to the feel in the pedal, braking power and bityness?
      Yep. They have good modulation but very little bite and they fade very easily under heat. They can't really clamp hard like I want them to. So I've ordered some Carbotech XP12's for the front and XP8's for the rear. Along with some 1521's (front) for the street. Race pads on the street are pretty unbearable for most people. Luckily, swapping out the pads on the front is a 15 min job per wheel so I don't mind doing it for track days.

I went with the Carbotechs because they have a non-corrossive compound that is also pretty easy on the rotors. Most racing brakes like the Ferodos or Hawks will chew up your rotors pretty quick and also leave a nasty layer of dust everywhere that turns corrossive when wet.

- Jeremy -

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 01:48 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by - Jeremy - View Post
      Yep. They have good modulation but very little bite and they fade very easily under heat. They can't really clamp hard like I want them to. So I've ordered some Carbotech XP12's for the front and XP8's for the rear. Along with some 1521's (front) for the street. Race pads on the street are pretty unbearable for most people. Luckily, swapping out the pads on the front is a 15 min job per wheel so I don't mind doing it for track days.

I went with the Carbotechs because they have a non-corrossive compound that is also pretty easy on the rotors. Most racing brakes like the Ferodos or Hawks will chew up your rotors pretty quick and also leave a nasty layer of dust everywhere that turns corrossive when wet.

- Jeremy -
      Hmm very interesting..

I'm happy to have race pads for the road; the more race the beter is the way I see it

22. Member
      05-09-2012 02:21 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by joshsmith View Post
      Hmm very interesting..

I'm happy to have race pads for the road; the more race the beter is the way I see it
      Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th4TLez3i3E

But at least you get a little light show at night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At4sORiH4a0

- Jeremy -
      Last edited by - Jeremy -; 05-09-2012 at 02:23 AM.

23. Member
      05-09-2012 02:31 AM #23
      On another note, my Goodridge steel lines came in yesterday. They look good. No idea how they fit yet, though. I'll try to get them on this weekend.

- Jeremy -

24. 05-09-2012 02:34 AM #24
      Keep us posted on the brake lines. I've heard they need a bit of work to get them to fit properly

25. Member
      05-20-2012 02:56 AM #25

IT is nice to dream however why spend 50% of the value of the car and hard earned cash on brakes alone...for an Audi TT?

Erm, does not make sense to me...and am not shy to spend however I will find it difficult to justify $20k on brakes alone for an Audi TT.

I give those brakes a certainly on an Audi TT.

26. 06-12-2012 08:17 PM #26
      For replacement brakes pads without a wear sensor, what did you do with the brake pad wear sensor plug?

1. Splice the existing wires in order to loop the sensor so it's constantly reading pads is good so not to trigger brake warning light?
      2. Purchase a plug that loops the signal without having to splice the wires yourself? Is there such a plug for the 2012 TT RS? ECStuning has a plug but doesn't work for the TTRS?

27. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Denim blue 225Q,04 Dolomite grey 225Q,05 Moro blue 225Q,12 Monza Silver RS
      06-12-2012 09:47 PM #27
      Driving with the Carbotech 1521(front) for 3 weeks,now.

They,definitely,don't have the OEM grasp and power.
      For everyday driving, they're ok, however...

The big plus,no dust,no dust at all.The rear wheels,still OEM pads,dirty after 2 weeks...the front still shiny.
      And no noise,besides the sheshee of a pad trying to grab a rotor...

28. Member
      06-13-2012 04:42 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by eddiey View Post
      For replacement brakes pads without a wear sensor, what did you do with the brake pad wear sensor plug?
      1. Short and splice the sensor PLUG wires, not the wires leading to the car. That way you can use a sensor if you decide to go back to stock pads.
      - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG
      - Phantom black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
      - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS
      - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM
      - Black '89 80 manual

29. 06-16-2012 11:24 AM #29
      I've heard there are 2 different pad compounds on OEM front brakes for the TTRS? The dealer quoted $550 for a set of front pads. The OEMplus.com site has them for $103.00? Why the price difference?

30. 06-16-2012 12:13 PM #30
      lol, dealers arent called stealers for no reason mate.
      Audi TTRS: APR Stage 3+: Race Developments Built Motor, Race Developments Flowed Cylinder Head, APR FMIC, Scorpion Titanium Exhaust, VWR Engine Mounts, VWR Intake, Race Developments Superfinished GearBox, Helix Race Clutch,42Draft Shifter Bushing,Bilstein B16 PSS10, 034 Motorsport ARB,WhiteLine Drop Links,R8 Calipers,Braided Lines,Powerflex Bushes,Mintex 1155 Pads,SRF Fluid, Fusch Titan Pro S Oil, Recaro Pole Positions, Kenwood DNX5210BT.

31. 06-16-2012 12:56 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by eddiey View Post
      I've heard there are 2 different pad compounds on OEM front brakes for the TTRS? The dealer quoted $550 for a set of front pads. The OEMplus.com site has them for $103.00? Why the price difference?
      Are you sure those are for the TT-RS and not the regular TT?

32. Member
      06-17-2012 01:51 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by bluesun68 View Post
      Are you sure those are for the TT-RS and not the regular TT?
      +1.

There are no $100 OEM TTRS pads. However, the pads are the same as 2010 STI (or CTS-V, camaro, etc). So, it's possible to find aftermarket pads that fit for <$100.

BTW, I put EBC yellowstuff on for the street. Went for a spirited drive in the mountains. They did fair, but felt a little fade on a very twisty part. Sounds like TTracing's experience with the Bobcats - great for the street, but just doesn't cut it for aggressive use.

Decent street pads (EBC yellow, CT Bobcat, Hawk HPS) are ~$120-$180 a pair.
      - Deep Black Pearl '12 GTI 2.0T DSG
      - Phantom black '12 TT-RS 2.5TQMS
      - Brilliant black '08 A5 3.2QMS
      - Volcano black '99.5 A4 1.8TQM
      - Black '89 80 manual

33. 06-17-2012 12:15 PM #33
      EBC pads are terrible
      Audi TTRS: APR Stage 3+: Race Developments Built Motor, Race Developments Flowed Cylinder Head, APR FMIC, Scorpion Titanium Exhaust, VWR Engine Mounts, VWR Intake, Race Developments Superfinished GearBox, Helix Race Clutch,42Draft Shifter Bushing,Bilstein B16 PSS10, 034 Motorsport ARB,WhiteLine Drop Links,R8 Calipers,Braided Lines,Powerflex Bushes,Mintex 1155 Pads,SRF Fluid, Fusch Titan Pro S Oil, Recaro Pole Positions, Kenwood DNX5210BT.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      06-17-2012 03:03 PM #34
      I've had horrible experiences with EBC redstuff pads squealing and their customer service lacking in the past.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

35. 06-17-2012 04:51 PM #35
      ceramic brakes are not 100% PnP, no matter which model you got them from i believe.

i think rs4 is the easiest to make fit (all you need is a spacer?) here is a setup for $5k http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS4-RS5...#ht_1561wt_193

rears i heard are a lot of work to change to ceramic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast