Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Results 1 to 21 of 21

    Thread: 530HP Infiniti G

    1. 04-13-2012 11:41 AM #1
      http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...6_in_pipeline/

      Still reading but headline excited me so...

      edit. Summer 2014, that's the dumbest thing I've heard in some time.
      Last edited by enigmatic enthusiast; 04-13-2012 at 11:51 AM.

    2. Member InfinitiG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2006
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      5,041
      Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      04-13-2012 11:48 AM #2
      Was just going to post this.

      It's not just news about the G, this article is chock full of information of Infiniti's plans for the near future. Big thing here is the new V6 for the next-gen G is going to developed completely in-house by Nissan based off their classic VQ architecture.

      Also, on the Mercedes-Infiniti partnership front, it looks like the main ties will be the 4-cylinder diesel for the European market as well as some platform sharing for the next G and C-classes, as well as an Infiniti C-class hatchback for the European market being based off current Mercedes front-drive platform technology.

      Then, obviously there is the news that Infiniti is developing a new 3.7 TT V6 producing around 530+ HP to be used in a future range of IPL vehicles.

      Lot more news in the article, but this all seems like very solid information. Big things are happening it seems.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

    3. Member
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2010
      Location
      Atlanta
      Posts
      673
      04-13-2012 11:51 AM #3
      Wasnt it nissan that said theyd be delivering a ton of new products over the next few years? Looks like theyre delivering!

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 15th, 2010
      Location
      Sebastopol, CA
      Posts
      881
      04-13-2012 11:54 AM #4
      They claimed that if there's a market segment, they intend to be part of it.

      Is the juke their Fit competition? I wonder if the brz fighter will have an infiniti counterpart..

    5. 04-13-2012 12:00 PM #5
      One thing categorically incorrect in the article is this insiders stance that Infiniti will only be using Merc diesel when we've already been told otherwise... And I still can't get over 2014 that is foolishness.

    6. Member InfinitiG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2006
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      5,041
      Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      04-13-2012 12:00 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by corrago View Post
      They claimed that if there's a market segment, they intend to be part of it.

      Is the juke their Fit competition? I wonder if the brz fighter will have an infiniti counterpart..
      The Juke is more of an Outlander Sport competitor imo. The Versa technically competes with the fit as they're in the same class but obviously going after much different demographics of buyers. It will be more of a direct competitor when the new Versa hatchback comes out.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

    7. 04-13-2012 12:02 PM #7
      People wanted more performance out of IPL, they're going to get it. With that comes a higher price - likely double that of the current IPL G37 coupe if the remark about pricing close to the GTR is to be believed. That's too high for any G car considering that would far eclipse the starting price of a BMW M3.

      If Infiniti wants to charge nearly six figures - the car should be completely different (Emerge).

      I'm glad Mercedes engines are limited to 4 cylinder models, keeping the VQ line for V6 models.

    8. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      22,692
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      04-13-2012 12:07 PM #8
      As I was reading that article, the only thing that was going through my mind was how changes to the G will relate to what the next gen Z will be like.
      Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 04-13-2012 at 12:10 PM.

    9. Member NOTORIOUS VR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2002
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      3,969
      Vehicles
      E36
      04-13-2012 12:12 PM #9
      So the IPL cars will be making as much power as their flagship GT-R?

      Somehow I don't think so.
      E36 · VEMS · TUNING
      Google Talk: NOTORIOUS VR

    10. Member InfinitiG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2006
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      5,041
      Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      04-13-2012 12:18 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic enthusiast View Post
      One thing categorically incorrect in the article is this insiders stance that Infiniti will only be using Merc diesel when we've already been told otherwise... And I still can't get over 2014 that is foolishness.
      You seem really hung up on the year 2014, what's the big deal?
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

    11. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,644
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      04-13-2012 12:21 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
      So the IPL cars will be making as much power as their flagship GT-R?

      Somehow I don't think so.
      Infiniti wants a high performance "sport/luxury" car to compete with more of the other high end brand offerings, and they currently have it in the GT-R, except it's a Nissan and pretty spartan inside. My guess is they will axe the GT-R under the Nissan brand and exclusively offer the car under Infiniti, with more of a luxury feel. That is where the market really is, anyway.

      Otherwise, glad to be see the good news and that Infiniti isn't just letting the market get away from them. I figured there was plenty of behind the scenes development going on all these years while the G was largely the same.

      As far as 2014 - this isn't news. The V37 was already slated for 2014, and obviously they have been working on this stuff for awhile. I mean, c'mon, the current G has existed with essentially the same engine and body for almost 5 years now. Although, he said "late summer 2014", so probably as a 2015 MY.
      Last edited by jepva; 04-13-2012 at 12:27 PM.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2006
      Location
      mpls
      Posts
      1,025
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      04-13-2012 12:22 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      As I was reading that article, the only thing that was going through my mind was how changes to the G will relate to what the next gen Z will be like.
      well at the very least it appears that the z will get a direct injected vq37, which should help with power, efficiency, and smoothness. i've also heard reports that the next gen z should be smaller. both of which lead me to conclude that the next gen z will be a very fun car to drive.

    13. Member Mr. Clarkson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 23rd, 2008
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      3,911
      04-13-2012 12:22 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
      So the IPL cars will be making as much power as their flagship GT-R?

      Somehow I don't think so.
      Solution: more power into the GT-R
      Texts Between Men: What the hell was I thinking?

      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I've sucd di lsks bigger than. You

    14. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      22,692
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      04-13-2012 12:58 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by scsuh View Post
      well at the very least it appears that the z will get a direct injected vq37, which should help with power, efficiency, and smoothness. i've also heard reports that the next gen z should be smaller. both of which lead me to conclude that the next gen z will be a very fun car to drive.
      All of that would be very awesome. A smaller and hopefully lighter Z with hopefully ~360hp would make me start thinking about getting rid of my mustang.

    15. Member InfinitiG's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2006
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      5,041
      Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      04-13-2012 01:06 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      My guess is they will axe the GT-R under the Nissan brand and exclusively offer the car under Infiniti, with more of a luxury feel.
      My thinking is that there is no way that that is going to happen.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2006
      Location
      mpls
      Posts
      1,025
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      04-13-2012 01:40 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
      So the IPL cars will be making as much power as their flagship GT-R?

      Somehow I don't think so.
      why can't one corporation have more than one supercar? i'm sure there will be plenty of characteristics that differentiate the two (drivetrain, engine, and interior quality being just a few).

    17. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,644
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      04-13-2012 01:47 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
      My thinking is that there is no way that that is going to happen.
      I'm basing that off of a few other things I've read on the subject..there was an interview / article awhile ago about how Infiniti wants a quasi-supercar to compete with the luxury brands, but since it would basically be a GT-R, they would overlap too much. And in this interview, the guy is saying the price will be the same and also based on the GT-R. I suppose they could keep both, but I don't see there being much of a market anymore for the GT-R if Infiniti offers pretty much the same but slightly more luxurious, and for the same price. It would be the purists going after the GT-R..which isn't much of a market these days.

      It's different with the 370Z vs. the G37 coupe because there's a larger price difference. But having two $80k cars almost identical wouldn't make sense to me.

    18. 04-13-2012 03:29 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      I suppose they could keep both, but I don't see there being much of a market anymore for the GT-R if Infiniti offers pretty much the same but slightly more luxurious, and for the same price.
      Last time this possibility was mentioned, it was said while Infiniti theoretically could get a car based on the GTR - it would be extremely hard to make it palatable for luxury brand standards.

      Leave the GTR as Nissan's halo, delivering the dynamic of pure brute sports car. Infiniti's halo car should push the boundaries on technology while delivering high end performance.

      In other words, deliver this:

    19. 04-13-2012 04:05 PM #19
      I don't think the IPL G would replaced the GTR or be priced the same. The Article says it'll compete with the C63 and M3, those cars are priced similar to a GTR in Japan, which is where the article was alluding to, but not in the states. In the states such a car would be priced somewhere between $60k and $70K which is the price range for the M3 and C63. Also if Nissan/infiniti was planning on replacing the GTR with this new IPL G, they'd just used the GT-R's powertrian rather then developing a new one. The article even says this new engine will be build alongside the GTR's meaning they still plan on offering it along with the IPL G.

      The article says their turbo VQ is making upwards of 530 hp, but not that it'll be so in production form. I predict an IPL G making around 500 hp for about $65K and a GTR making around 600 hp for about $100K

      Also if Infiniti decides to offer the GTR's ATTESSA system in IPL G, it'll probably end wiping the floor with other vehicles in this class. Think first year R35 GTR performance in the new IPL G.

    20. 04-14-2012 07:10 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      I'm basing that off of a few other things I've read on the subject..there was an interview / article awhile ago about how Infiniti wants a quasi-supercar to compete with the luxury brands, but since it would basically be a GT-R, they would overlap too much. And in this interview, the guy is saying the price will be the same and also based on the GT-R. I suppose they could keep both, but I don't see there being much of a market anymore for the GT-R if Infiniti offers pretty much the same but slightly more luxurious, and for the same price. It would be the purists going after the GT-R..which isn't much of a market these days.

      It's different with the 370Z vs. the G37 coupe because there's a larger price difference. But having two $80k cars almost identical wouldn't make sense to me.
      Where did they state it would be based off the GTR? No where in the article did they make such an assertion.

      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      I don't think the IPL G would replaced the GTR or be priced the same. The Article says it'll compete with the C63 and M3, those cars are priced similar to a GTR in Japan, which is where the article was alluding to, but not in the states. In the states such a car would be priced somewhere between $60k and $70K which is the price range for the M3 and C63. Also if Nissan/infiniti was planning on replacing the GTR with this new IPL G, they'd just used the GT-R's powertrian rather then developing a new one. The article even says this new engine will be build alongside the GTR's meaning they still plan on offering it along with the IPL G.

      The article says their turbo VQ is making upwards of 530 hp, but not that it'll be so in production form. I predict an IPL G making around 500 hp for about $65K and a GTR making around 600 hp for about $100K

      Also if Infiniti decides to offer the GTR's ATTESSA system in IPL G, it'll probably end wiping the floor with other vehicles in this class. Think first year R35 GTR performance in the new IPL G.
      It wouldn't be the same attessa system as it wouldn't share the trans-axle with the GTR. I think it would be interesting if all futue IPL did come with a version of atessa.

    21. Member jepva's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2011
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      1,644
      Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      04-14-2012 08:35 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic enthusiast View Post
      Where did they state it would be based off the GTR? No where in the article did they make such an assertion.
      Not just this article, prior article I had read regarding the Essence concept. Forget which publication. It mentions in the article the same manufacturing facility..which pretty much guarantees platform sharing and engine sharing. I can agree if the price points are very different obviously there can be two cars, but it won't make sense for them at similar price points. If it's really to be around $60k and more luxurious, it will be missing a lot of the GTR's track-ready components.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •