Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Golf III / 096 automatic transmission / want check resistance on solenoids

1. 04-14-2012 08:12 AM #1
      Trying to check resistance on solenoids to figure out what's wrong with my automatic transmission. Have found info, that it could be done on round plug (transaxle connector), but I having troubles locating it.

I have found automatic transmission controller under back seat, but there are no round plug:

Where do I find transaxle connector?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Jetta 2.5
      04-14-2012 10:07 AM #2
      I would hope that you looked on the transmission for the transmission connector? Anyway, it should be located on the top of the transmission. Just look for a large harness coming from that area and follow it. It may not connect directly to the case but have a connector 4-6 inches from the transmission. This is where you would separate the two. If the resistance seem questionable, don't jump to replacing the solenoids. Next, I would drop the pan and check the solenoids directly to make sure it isn't a problem in the harness. But if the values look good through the harness than you don't need to do this last step. Good luck! Send me an IM if you need any literature on the trans.

Brad

3. 04-14-2012 12:43 PM #3
      I believe you mean this one:

I'd like to find another end of it, which attached to the controller. I think it's important to check cable integrity, not only solenoids health.

P.S. The initial problem is that transmission reacting too slowly to driver's actions. For example, when I start moving, I should do it very slowly — otherwise engine speed just increasing, without giving automobile enough thrust. Eventually second gear engages, but it just happens too late and I start off the crossroads like a snail. It irritates a lot.

However, when I recently made a few short trips, during one of them transmission worked just great! That's why I think it's electrical problem and not mechanical.

4. 04-15-2012 10:20 AM #4
      Checked on transmission. Got the following:

#1 - norm
      #2 - 80 Ohm
      #3 - break
      #4 - 100+ Ohm
      #5, #7 - norm
      #6 - norm

5. 04-25-2012 04:21 AM #5
      Took online readings from transmission:

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.