Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Group interview tips/techniques?

1. 04-14-2012 07:14 AM #1
      I've been on three group interviews so far and haven't had any luck whatsoever. I've got another scheduled for Tuesday and I'd love it if any of you with HR experience could give me some tips or pointers.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      04-16-2012 03:21 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Old school View Post
      I've been on three group interviews so far and haven't had any luck whatsoever. I've got another scheduled for Tuesday and I'd love it if any of you with HR experience could give me some tips or pointers.
      HR would offer you little input since it's a Hiring Manager that conducts the interviews.

What type of position is the group interview for? How many people show up? What type of questions are being asked? What kind of answers are you giving? Where do you sit (front or back)? How do you dress in comparison to others attending? How much research on the company or Hiring Manager do you conduct prior to attending?

Bottom line, group interviews give companies a chance to view candidates in a different dimension than one-on-one. How will you react when questions are asked? How do you acknowledge the other candidates while they are speaking?

If it were me, I'd dress appropriately (call the Receptionist if you aren't sure), come with extra copies of my resume, bring a notebook and pen, and I'd sit in front, ask good questions, and address the Hiring Manager by name (Mr./Mrs Smith, not "Ted").

Also, don't hesitate to politely exit the interview if it appears like the situation or the company isn't a good fit for you. It helps you establish control, which reinforces your value. It also alerts the company that you might be someone they can't have and that can frequently make you appear as though you are more valuable than the rest of the cattle that stayed behind in the room. Note, if you do get up and leave, have a meaningful answer and be professionally polite as you do so.

3. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-16-2012 07:27 PM #3
      By 'group interview', do you mean you + multiple other applicants being interviewed simultaneously? Or you are being interviewed by a panel?

(I'm guessing the former, but want to ensure I'm clear.)

4. 04-17-2012 04:06 PM #4
      Yeah, it's me and two to four other applicants interviewed usually by a panel of three to four interviewers. I dress professionally but nothing too crazy (white dress shirt and tie, no jacket) and they ask the traditional "tell us about your strengths/blah blah blah" questions but I've also run into little prepared group scenarios where you have to work together to attain the goal.

The interview today felt like it went well (fingers crossed) but I had the same feeling after the last two so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Vehicles
      01 M5, 62 GMC Stepside, 65 Baja Beetle (in progress) 85 Scirocco
      04-17-2012 04:56 PM #5
      What kind of a job is this for? I've never heard of a group interview like what you described. I'd think it would be slightly strange...

6. Member
      Vehicles
      04-17-2012 04:56 PM #6
      Yeah, it's me and two to four other applicants interviewed usually by a panel of three to four interviewers.
      Industry? position?

Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta - '07 Audi A3 (SOLD)
      04-17-2012 07:38 PM #7
      The only group interview I ever had was for a bank teller position at Wells Fargo when I was like, 19. Like someone else above said - it was awkward to say the least. It seemed they highly favored people who spoke up most and were the most outgoing. It's not in my nature to be the "loud" one of the group and I like to observe my surroundings and think before answering. They said I wouldn't be given further considersation because I didn't "speak up."
      Follow me on Instagram: cyncetastic

8. 04-17-2012 08:31 PM #8
      I did a group interview for Raytheon before for an internship position, it was weird and felt like what scandalous_cynce mentioned during his group interview and not really sure how they screened the candidates since there was over 40 people there and they narrowed it down to like 10 for one on one interviews at a later date, but they had like four people from the company screening, but it really did benefit all of the outgoing people in sticking out.

9. Member
      04-17-2012 08:43 PM #9
      I've only been in group interviews- my industry is IT. Generally it is a one on one meeting with a hiring manager or a someone weeding people out and then anywhere from 2 - 10 people. I don't know the purpose of a group larger than 4-5, other than to maybe see how you react in a group/meeting situation. When I had ten people, I had to white board scenarios and take questions from the team.

I like the advice that DD had because in a couple of these interviews, I knew instantly that I could not work with these people, but I wasted my time and finished the process, which can be 4-5 hours of your day. Looking back, there were a couple of times that I wish I had the balls to leave.

10. 04-17-2012 09:09 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      Industry? position?
      Customer service for the government.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      04-18-2012 06:21 PM #11
      Customer service for the government.
      Then you'll probably want to put yourself in positions where you demonstrate a mild personality and a grasp for clearly articulating your point in a slow & steady fashion. Be empathetic when possible and give others positive feedback for their contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Looking back, there were a couple of times that I wish I had the balls to leave.
      It's like an alarm going off in my head while I'm making thousands of calculations to choose which exact moment I'll sack up and stand up.

LEAVE! LEAVE! LEAVE! LEAVE! LEAVE! LEAVE! LEAVE!

God it feels good to take control and then look on as the rest of the cows are headed to the slaughter. I had one manager one time volunteer to show me out (secure facility) and the whole time he was telling me that I was the one he wanted and what could he do to change my mind.

12. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-19-2012 11:20 AM #12
      I like the advice that DD had because in a couple of these interviews, I knew instantly that I could not work with these people, but I wasted my time and finished the process, which can be 4-5 hours of your day. Looking back, there were a couple of times that I wish I had the balls to leave.
      "Thanks for giving me the opportunity to interview today. Through the first part of this process I've learned a lot about the position and team, and based on that information I now know that this position isn't an ideal fit for my skills and career interests. Based on that I'm going to remove myself from consideration for this role."

Been there, done that while looking for jobs out of college. The conversation went like this:

Me to "recruiter": "I don't recall you saying that this would be a group interview. Or that the position would be focused on doing door to door fundraising. You stated the role was for a policy/issue researcher."

"recruiter": "Look. If I told you the truth, would you be here today?"

Me: "Okay, well, I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to interview but this clearly isn't what you said it was. Based on that I'm going to exit the process immediately and not waste any more of my time. Thanks."

"recruiter": ". . ." "You can't do that! You were one of my best candidates!"

Me: *shuts door*

Never pays to bait and switch.

13. 04-19-2012 11:59 AM #13
      God it feels good to take control and then look on as the rest of the cows are headed to the slaughter. I had one manager one time volunteer to show me out (secure facility) and the whole time he was telling me that I was the one he wanted and what could he do to change my mind.
      God that would be uncomfortable as hell to be in an interview where you suddenly realize "I'm not putting up with this ****. Time to leave." haha. At least you were able to cut it short and leave on your own accord. Don't you wish you could just say something like "Imma let you finish, but this is one of the worst interviews of all time, of ALL TIME. I couldn't work with you incompetent *******s. Peace." and tip over the chair as you walk out?

14. Member
      04-19-2012 12:30 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyGTI View Post
      ...and tip over the chair as you walk out?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      04-19-2012 01:53 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Never pays to bait and switch.
      Shocking. It would have been humorous to talk with his boss and give your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyGTI View Post
      and tip over the chair as you walk out?
      I'm the first to admit I can be... abrasive, but even I couldn't do that

Vehicles
      '12 Outback & '13 GTI
      04-20-2012 02:50 PM #16
      HR would offer you little input since it's a Hiring Manager that conducts the interviews.
      Wouldn't that be largely dependent on the company? I have never interviewed with a "hiring manager".

Little Caeser's - interviewed by store manager
      Performance Bike Shop - interviewed by store manager
      First job out of college - interviewed by CTO of the school system
      2nd job - interviewed by department director and co-worker
      Current job - interviewed by head of office HR, department manager; direct manager, co-worker and various attorneys/paralegals
      Last edited by Hostile; 04-20-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Vehicles
      TR Rabbit
      05-03-2012 02:42 PM #17
      I had a group interview at H-E-B and I almost got up and left. The managers that were supposed to be taking notes were blankly staring off into space.
      I root

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet 16v, 07 Rabbit 2.5,
      05-07-2012 06:35 PM #18
      Bring a Gun.

Just kidding....

on a serious note. Arrive first. you will be the first face the employer see's and leave a lasting impression during this time.

19. Member
      05-07-2012 06:40 PM #19
      Arrive where first? You know that you don't just walk in and seat yourself in a conference room, right?

Vehicles
      87 Cabriolet 16v, 07 Rabbit 2.5,
      05-07-2012 09:26 PM #20
      Arrive where first? You know that you don't just walk in and seat yourself in a conference room, right?
      To the interview. I've only ever had one but The receptionist made us sign in according to arrival time.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      05-11-2012 04:54 PM #21
      The first time I had ever heard of this was when my wife had one at some yoga store a few months ago. She felt very awkward about it and frankly, so would I. It's bad enough it's you against who knows how many other applicants as it is without actually sitting in a room with them trying to one up each other. I really don't see any point to it unless they are doing a mass hiring and the "interview" is really just a formality where they are planning on hiring the whole group anyway.

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      05-15-2012 01:40 PM #22
      I got interviewed today by a panel, and it was a little akward. I felt like I did well, but it was difficult giving everyone equal eye contact, etc. When there was an uneven distribution of the questions asked by each person. I interviewed for two positions so I am relatively certain I got one of them. They were both mainly dealing with updating an online database and also taking some field samples, and other env regulatory information processing.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      05-15-2012 03:21 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Steveo989 View Post
      I got interviewed today by a panel, and it was a little akward. I felt like I did well, but it was difficult giving everyone equal eye contact, etc. When there was an uneven distribution of the questions asked by each person. I interviewed for two positions so I am relatively certain I got one of them. They were both mainly dealing with updating an online database and also taking some field samples, and other env regulatory information processing.
      A panel interview is different than a group interview. A group interview is when it is you along with "X" number of other applicants being interviewed at the same time.

Vehicles
      Volvo C30 T5 6sp manual / Mazda5 5sp manual
      05-15-2012 03:41 PM #24
      I was in a giant group interview a looong time ago--I was 15 or 16 years old.

It was for some kind of long-term special event at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood. Basically, my friends told me about the interview, and I just tagged along after school because I lived nearby.

There was literally an auditorium full of teenagers and young adults being interviewed at the same time. I remember it was divided into like 10 sections, and each interviewer was responsible for his own section of interviewees.

Each person only got a chance to answer a couple questions at most. I think I answered one question, and then I was never asked again.

It was chaotic, confusing, and super-awkward. It felt extremely disrespectful to the interviewees, too.