Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: To VW AUDI technicians! please HELP !!! crankshaft seal

1. 04-14-2012 11:10 AM #1
      I'm in the process of replacing the timing belt and I have a major problem. I've destroyed the new crankshaft seal that came in the blauparts kit already and just got back from audi dealer after purchasing another one. I tried to put this new one up and this is what happened again. See how the top part of the seal didn't slide in prefect?
      Is this seal destroyed?
      What's the proper procedure to install it?
      What's choices do I have?

Thank you!

This is what I used to tap it in.

2. 04-16-2012 01:13 AM #2
      looks like the tension ring popped off the inner lip of the seal there, unless you can get the whole thing back out to fix the ring without mangling it, I'd say it's done. You are putting plenty of oil on the inside of the seal and around the crank right? Cuz that looks bone dry. You don't really need any special tricks, that's houw I would have done it, assuming that the seal driver only contacts the outer flange of the seal and you lubed the inside up really good

Vehicles
      Turbocharged 2004 Civic SI with K20/K24 engine swap, 2006 Audi A3
      04-16-2012 01:37 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by blackvento36 View Post
      looks like the tension ring popped off the inner lip of the seal there, unless you can get the whole thing back out to fix the ring without mangling it, I'd say it's done. You are putting plenty of oil on the inside of the seal and around the crank right? Cuz that looks bone dry. You don't really need any special tricks, that's houw I would have done it, assuming that the seal driver only contacts the outer flange of the seal and you lubed the inside up really good
      2006 Audi A3 | 2.0T | 6MT | APR Stage 2+ | Fully loaded ECU | FK grill | EJ CAI | BSH TBP |EJ DV Reloc. | Eurojet TBE | EuroJet Catch Tank | Cross drilled and Slotted Rotors | EBC "Redstuff" Kevlar | Raceland Coilovers | Forge Side to Side Short Shifter | Forge Front to Back Short Shifter | Devil's Own DVC-30 Methanol injection | BSH RSB | BSH Motor mount Kit | 42 DD Shifter Bushings | HPFP Stage 1 upgrade |

Vehicles
      08 2.1L Fsi 67'd SFWD Gti, mk2 67'd VRT Jetta
      04-17-2012 03:28 AM #4
      I usually just pop the entire flange off and do it off the car, then reinstall it with some oil.

Vehicles
      B & H series swapped Hondas, 383 swapped Chevys, EJ20 swapped Subies, a few STIs, an audi, a few VWs
      04-17-2012 09:16 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by IMAN973 View Post
      I usually just pop the entire flange off and do it off the car, then reinstall it with some oil.
      X2

6. 04-27-2012 09:12 AM #6
      I ended-up destroying 3 seals till I got it right. The first and second time I didn't oil the seal since the manual says not to, had a word with an audi tech he said too not to oil it.
      I then oiled the third one and got destroyed again.
      For the fourth I improvised something similar to the VAG sleeve they're suppose to use for this and got on easy.

Thanks for your replies.

04-27-2012 12:55 PM #7
      That is the only thing I didn't replace out of that kit. Wasn't to worried about it.

Vehicles
      65 Bug, 81 Caddy+trailer, 83 GTI, 84 GTI, 92 GTI VR, 02 TDI Beetle, 06 V8 T-reg, 06 GLI, 68 Mustang
      04-28-2012 12:33 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by rdjr74 View Post
      That is the only thing I didn't replace out of that kit. Wasn't to worried about it.
      If it ain't broke......don't fix it lol
      That's my motto. Enough stuff breaks on these cars, but rarely do crank seals ever leak unless messed with!
      -J. Hines
      Volkswagen South Charlotte
      a.k.a. VSC Tuning
      Unitronic through the
      dealership environment!!