Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DIY Golf R Steering Wheel Installation

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-15-2012 02:00 PM #1
      Note: The airbags for the CC and the Golf R steering wheels are not interchangeable.

Tools:
      1. Flat Head screw driver
      2. 12 mm triple square driver
      3. Painters tape
      4. Small mirror

Steering wheel components:
      1. Clips – this refers to the structural support that holds the airbag to the steering wheel
      2. Electrical harnesses (2 pieces) – this refers to the electronic component of the air bag and MF steering wheel controls
      3. 12 mm triple square bolt that holds the steering wheel on

CAUTION: Do not disconnect the airbag electrical harnesses/plugs when the battery terminals are connected.

Step 1 – Releasing the Airbag Clips on the CC OEM Wheel:

The battery needs to remain connected for this 1st step. This is necessary so that you can rotate the steering wheel to get to both air bag clips. The clips are 180° to each other.

Protect the top of the steering wheel column with painters tape.

Turn the steering wheel 90° to one side and stick a flathead screw driver into the slot.

It helps to use a mirror to look for the plastic clip that the 2011 steering wheel has. Reference the pictures below and insert the flat head screw driver into the slot marked with the red arrow. Do not try to manipulate the plastic piece. Instead, move past that to the metal bar/piece. Twist the flat-head so it pushes the metal piece in the direction of the yellow arrow (see pic with arrows). If you gently pull on the external part of the airbag (ie. the part you press to honk the horn) as you twist the screw driver, it will release fairly easily. Having a buddy hold the mirror makes it a stress-free step.

Once you get one clip, turn the wheel 180° and do the other clip.

STOP: Do not disconnect the electrical harnesses yet!

This is view of the CC's airbag clips when they are connected:

This is view of the CC's airbag clips when they are released:

Step 2: Disconnecting the Battery
      Remove the key from the ignition and disconnect the battery.
      Wait 10 minutes for discharge before moving to the next step.

Step 3: Releasing the CC’s Two Electrical Harnesses
      After the 10 minute wait… release the 2 electrical harnesses: the Yellow air bag and the Black MF harness.

Airbag harness:

MF harness:

Disconnect both of them and remove the air bag.

Wahoo - getting to this point was the hardest part!

Step 4: Physically Removing the CC's Steering Wheel
      Use a triple-square driver (12mm) to remove the steering wheel bolt. Use a sharpie to mark the bolt since it can only be used 3 times. A steering wheel puller is not needed.

Take note of the OEM’s mark on the wheel and the steering column. The Golf R wheel will have a similar mark on it and it should be an identical line up relative to the CC wheel.

Step 5: Preparing the Golf R Wheel for Installation
      * tip – this can be done while waiting for battery to discharge in step 2

Assuming that you have a steering wheel with an air-bag attached, the clips on the Golf R wheel are different relative to the 2011 CC OEM airbag and wheel. When you look at the back of the Golf R wheel, you will see 2 metal clips. Reference the picture below and insert a flat-head screwdriver where the red arrow is. Twist the screw driver such that the metal piece will slide in the direction of the yellow arrow (see pic below). You will have to push the metal piece down after twisting to get the clip to move down and past the edge to release. It can be done solo, but it helps to have an extra set of hands. Basically, it helps to have someone pulling on the air bag from the front of the wheel. Two small forces from opposite sides = winning. It wants to stay happy and be right where it is.

Step 6: Installing the Golf R Wheel
      Basically, all you have to do is reverse the order of the steps used to remove the CC steering wheel. Make sure to line up the steering wheel and steering column lines as identified in step 4.

The torque specification for the 12 mm triple square bolt is 30 Nm plus a 90° turn.

Step 7: Reconnecting the battery
      Do not reconnect the battery until the Golf R wheel is completely installed - emphasis on the electrical harnesses.

My installation did not result in any dash lights or error codes. It was a straight plug-n-play swap.

Before:

After:

Disclaimer: I am nothing more than a do-it-yourselfer (DIY). The purpose of this outline is to help other DIYers, but I must disclose that I am self-taught and do not have any professional VAG expertise. I share this information in an effort to help my fellow CC friends. That said, this DIY is not meant to replace your due diligence requirements. You must thoroughly research your specific change before you do it.
      Last edited by jspirate; 04-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.
      Daily | Weekend | Project

Vehicles
      2012 VW CC
      04-15-2012 03:24 PM #2

Great and clear instructions. Thanks for doing this.
      Top 5 must have mods in my opinion.

3. 04-15-2012 06:05 PM #3
      Man I miss my GTI wheel....where did you pick this up from and how much if you don't mind me asking...
      '09 VW CC Sport, island grey w/tan/black interior. 6 speed manual, Dunlop Direzzas, euro turn signals, audi exhaust tips, GTI pedals, GIAC ecu flash, K&N filter, H&R sport springs, tinted windows, LED license plate bulb, Sylvania ZXE headlights/foglights, AWE turbo pipe, Forge short shift kit, Forge blow off valve

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 R-Line
      04-15-2012 07:20 PM #4
      If you have a DSG, don't forget to get one from the Euro CC R-Line (Golf-R doesn't come with DSG) and enable the flappy paddles via VAG-COM.

This steering wheel in addition to the paddles is absolutely the best mod I have made.

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-15-2012 08:27 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by cbell1 View Post
      Man I miss my GTI wheel....where did you pick this up from and how much if you don't mind me asking...
      AgeStyling is where I got it

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC-R
      04-15-2012 09:59 PM #6
      So awesome... wish my r-line had an r-line wheel.

7. 04-15-2012 10:26 PM #7
      Beautiful wheel! It looks so at home in our cars.
      '09 VW CC Sport, island grey w/tan/black interior. 6 speed manual, Dunlop Direzzas, euro turn signals, audi exhaust tips, GTI pedals, GIAC ecu flash, K&N filter, H&R sport springs, tinted windows, LED license plate bulb, Sylvania ZXE headlights/foglights, AWE turbo pipe, Forge short shift kit, Forge blow off valve

8. 04-16-2012 12:34 AM #8
      Looks awesome! Love that steering wheel!
      | Mark | 2011 CC R-Line DSG |

Vehicles
      '13 2.0TSI | '14 1.8TSI
      04-16-2012 02:01 AM #9

Will be using this as a ref. I'm expecting mine to come in the mail tomorrow!

Sent from my iDevice

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC
      04-16-2012 02:27 AM #10
      NOTE: Many of the airbag caveats that jspirate documented must be followed exactly!

When I first saw this mod, It was a must. Huge improvement! Ironically, I rarely use the paddles shifters

Great DIY! It's been added to my build thread
      Vielen Dank!
      Thank You!
      Last edited by romney; 04-16-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Vehicles
      '13 2.0TSI | '14 1.8TSI
      04-16-2012 02:38 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by romney View Post
      NOTE: Many of the airbag caveats that jspirate documented must be followed exactly!

When I first saw this mod, It was a must. Huge improvement! Ironically, I rarely use the paddles shifters

Vielen Dank!
      Thank You!
      Where did you get the blue needles for your instrument panel?

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-16-2012 06:24 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by lugubre3645 View Post

Will be using this as a ref. I'm expecting mine to come in the mail tomorrow!

Sent from my iDevice
      Pics or it didn't happen!

Vehicles
      2011 4Motion CC VR6 Executive / Previous: 09 CCVR6 Sport - 04 GLI - 97 Jetta VR6
      04-16-2012 07:26 AM #13
      If you don't have the 12pt. bit and don't have access to one either; a 9mm Hex key will work.
      2011 Candy White CC VR6 4Motion Executive
      Unitronic Tune, VF Intake, Eibach Pro's, Gold Coast Kit, R steering wheel, 25% tint

Vag-Com-Locator

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 R-Line
      04-16-2012 08:44 AM #14

Thank You!
      Strange, I almost never drive in automatic anymore. I always use the paddles.

You have to learn to drive it, that is for sure. It is very similar to (re) learning how to drive a manual transmission in the first place. Once you do, you don't ever go back....it is the greatest compromise between a full blown manual transmission (I'm an old man and have been a club race car driver) and an automatic that I have found.

In stop and go traffic this morning I learned something new about it. I actually lift slightly between gears at slow speed. Coordinated with the shift, it makes stop and go slow speed shifts nearly imperceptible.

15. 04-16-2012 02:36 PM #15
      Thank you very much!!
      in 2 weeks i will have my new 2012 CC, and the steering wheel is already on my desk (Scirocco wheel, with metal grey inserts, payes 360€ new with P&P, from Portugal to Belgium), and now i have a beatifull how to....like the size of the tools, and the differnt type of clipsing of the airbags.
      The only thing i don't understand, is why you only disconnect the battery after you done the mechanics? I would do it first?

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-16-2012 02:49 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by RudydG View Post
      Thank you very much!!
      in 2 weeks i will have my new 2012 CC, and the steering wheel is already on my desk (Scirocco wheel, with metal grey inserts, payes 360€ new with P&P, from Portugal to Belgium), and now i have a beatifull how to....like the size of the tools, and the differnt type of clipsing of the airbags.
      The only thing i don't understand, is why you only disconnect the battery after you done the mechanics? I would do it first?
      Look at where the two airbag clips are. You have to get one, then turn the steering wheel 180° to access the other.

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      04-16-2012 03:51 PM #17
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

Vehicles
      '13 2.0TSI | '14 1.8TSI
      04-17-2012 01:27 AM #18
      Used this DIY today. Worked great! I will say the only issue that I had was after removing the first airbag clip and putting the key in to unlock the steering column to turn the wheel around to access the other clip, the horn went off. I had to turn the wheel fast and pull the key out fast to stop the horn. I'm sure my neighbors loved me. Also using this small screwdriver worked better than a regular flat head to access the clips.

Sent from my iDevice

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-17-2012 06:44 AM #19
      Used this DIY today. Worked great! I will say the only issue that I had was after removing the first airbag clip and putting the key in to unlock the steering column to turn the wheel around to access the other clip, the horn went off. I had to turn the wheel fast and pull the key out fast to stop the horn. I'm sure my neighbors loved me. Also using this small screwdriver worked better than a regular flat head to access the clips.

Sent from my iDevice
      Haha, I bet they did love you. I didn't have any horn issues. Interesting...

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 R-Line
      04-17-2012 09:55 AM #20

Sent from my iDevice
      Disconnect the battery before starting any work near the airbags.

Vehicles
      '13 2.0TSI | '14 1.8TSI
      04-17-2012 10:16 AM #21
      I did before unplugging the harness. If I had disconnected the battery would I have been able to turn the wheel ?

Sent from my iDevice

Vehicles
      2011 CC 6MT
      04-20-2012 05:15 PM #22
      I did before unplugging the harness. If I had disconnected the battery would I have been able to turn the wheel ?

Sent from my iDevice
      Indeed. The steering wheel lock is not your friend! Even if it doesn't lock, it doesn't want to turn without power.

Vehicles
      2007 JETTA GLI, 2012 GOLF GTI 35TH ANNIVERSARY
      05-24-2012 03:36 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by SlavaKM View Post

Great and clear instructions. Thanks for doing this.
      Top 5 must have mods in my opinion.
      +1, Pretty awesome thread and thanks for sharing it with us!

A 30th Anniversary Edition's shift knob might look nice in your car! IMO

24. 05-29-2012 02:49 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk

Would like to know also looks great

Vehicles
      2010 2.0T 6MT CC Iron Grey
      05-29-2012 06:05 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post
      I'm not the OP, but I found just one on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Passat-B6...34b3d3&vxp=mtr

US$399 so quite a bit more than the going rate for a "normal" instrument cluster.

26. 04-15-2013 03:11 AM #26

Vielen Dank!
      Thank You!
      Hi Romney

Where did you source the R Line steering wheel withi black stitching? I have a 2013 R Line and I'm thinking of swapping to a flat bottom R Line wheel with shifters.

06-20-2013 03:20 AM #27
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-6-GT...item3ccc4ff3f4

Can I use this wheel for my 2010 Sport?
      2010 Volkswagen CC - Equipped with 2013 DSG Transmission - DSG Tune by Malone Tuning
      APR Stage II stuff, APR Intercooler, APR Boost Tap, SPULEN Throttle Body Pipe, SPULEN Turbo Outlet Pipe. REV D Diverter, and much more.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 TDI DSG JSW, 2013 Tiguan SE 4Mo, 2000 Audi TT 180Q (sold)
      11-02-2013 09:43 AM #28

Any chance you have or can read the part number to your airbag harness? I am doing a swap into my tigy and I need a harness with a single purple plug and black mf connector like the one your cc has....or if you don't mind pm'ing me your vin so I can ask the parts dept to look it up. PLEASE!!!!

Vehicles
      2013 CC sport plus
      11-05-2013 02:00 AM #29

Vielen Dank!
      Thank You!
      anyone know where to source this wheel? with paddles...
      Current: 2013 CC Sport Plus, 2.0T 4pot, Black, b/w interior, 18"
      Previous: 2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 3.6 boxer V6 White // 2008 Mini Cooper S 1.6T 4pot Red // 2006 Audi A6 4.2 V8 Silver // 2001 Audi A6 4.2 Silver

30. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi A4'97--> Subie WRX'07 Stage 3+--> Murano--> VW GTi'11--> VW CC 2011 now
      11-05-2013 10:06 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Jazznuts699 View Post
      anyone know where to source this wheel? with paddles...
      Go to VW CC Clasifieds and you gonna find GLI wheel shipped for 600 bux w paddles...

Guys, where is the info on Pedal shifter programing?
      Ko4 ClubCC: CTS AIS,BW Ko4,Neuspeed FMIC,DevilsOwn Stg 2,APR DSG,UNI DV Reloc Kit,Forge DV,CTS CCan,BSH Throttle,R8 Coils,R8 Oil Cap,Porsche Coolant Cap,APR DP,Milltek CBE,BSH Torque Mnt,VRC13/Hancook V12,SHS Coils,Hotchkis 27mm RSB,Dectane Headlights,5K/3k Morimoto,RLine Tails,Flat MFSW/shifters,Fully LEDed,WT 27%,Aspherical Mrrs,Alum Interior Accents/Vents&etc In Process:More Styling PartsNexT:Ran out of Ideas

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      11-05-2013 12:34 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Stero1D View Post
      Guys, where is the info on Pedal shifter programing?
      http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...Steering_Wheel

Change the 5th digit from a 1 to 2
      2007 Candy White/Black Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition| APR Stage 2+ | APR HPFP | Forge WINtake | S3 Intercooler | B&B 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Dogbone Insert | FK Silverline+ Coilovers | Front Lip Spoiler/Hi-Def Sideskirts | Votex Trunk Lip Spoiler | R-Line Fog Grilles | Clear Corners | HID Kit - low beams & fogs | RCD-510 | Podi Boost gauge | R-Line Pedals | GTI Steering Wheel |

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC 2.0T
      05-05-2014 12:08 AM #32
      Does the original harness plug into the rline steering wheel?

Vehicles
      2010 CC 3.6l Mocha brown 4 motion
      05-05-2014 12:41 AM #33
      Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC 2.0T
      05-06-2014 04:10 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by volks76 View Post
      Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Awesome thank you!!