Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DIY: Removing the rear speakers MKVI GTI/Golf 2Dr

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 6MT
      04-15-2012 05:03 PM #1
      Rear panel/speaker removal for a MKVI GTI/Golf 2 Door

I couldn't find a good DIY for this around (at least one that took it as far as I did) so I decided to create this one to help anyone else that needs to do this. This is for informational purposes only.

1. Remove the rear seat by pulling straight up and releasing the two front tabs. (Red arrow) then remove the seat completely by pulling it out from under the child restraint hooks (blue), and pushing the seat belt clasps through the back of the seat.

With seat removed:

2. Remove the trim along the door, which extends to the rear of the car where the seat was. Start at the front and work your way back.

2a. There are three tabs at the back that will remove by pulling straight out. You will then be able to remove the section of trim.

3. Remove the 'Airbag' label to access the T20 screw behind. Remove the screw and set aside.

4. Remove the panel by pulling starting from the rear of the car, there are three tabs that are in there tight. Once those have release you can pull the panel out. It is in there very tight and takes a bit of wiggling to get it out.

4a. Note the location of the seat belt upper 'pulley'. This will have to be lined up with the plastic housing that you just removed when you go to reinstall; otherwise you will not be able to adjust the 'pulley' height.

5. Fold the seat back down, remove the plastic cover and the T20 screw behind it.

6. Pull out the rear panel. There are multiple plastic pins that need to be released. If you pull hard, and straight out (not up or down) they should release given a bit of effort.

7. Disconnect the factory tweeter from the wiring harness.

8. The factory speaker is riveted in. I used a drill bit to drill out the rivets, and then just attached my speakers to the plastic housing using 1" spacers, and the plastic mounting bracket that came with the speakers.

Installation is just the reverse of removal. Good luck
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      They have the structural integrity of origami, the reliability of a drunk on New Year's Eve, and they're based off of a '70s Fiat design but built under communist labor (You now, guys who know they can't be fired for any reason.)
      Current: 2012 CSG GTI 6MT
      Past: 2007 Audi A4; 2009 Tiguan S; 2007 Rabbit (with the Guitar! ); 1985 VW Cabriolet

Vehicles
      More than you can afford pal. Ferrari.
      04-15-2012 09:56 PM #2
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'13 | 0311 | 0331| 0933 | '14- Soldier of Fortune
      Wagon Aficionado | Brodozer Brocionado | BMW Motorrad
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Wagon GTG SoWo '14

Vehicles
      2010 GTI DSG
      04-16-2012 02:52 AM #3
      2010 GTI DSG
      My Mods

4. 06-02-2012 12:26 PM #4
      Absolutely blooming marvellous. I've been looking for a pic of the panel off for ages. Registered so I could say thanks.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI, 2012 GTI
      06-02-2012 12:35 PM #5
      follow me on instagram: @hussdog426

2012 Golf TDI - looking for someone to take over the lease
      2012 GTI -

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 6MT
      06-02-2012 02:43 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by stuartb3502 View Post
      Absolutely blooming marvellous. I've been looking for a pic of the panel off for ages. Registered so I could say thanks.
      Welcome!
      They have the structural integrity of origami, the reliability of a drunk on New Year's Eve, and they're based off of a '70s Fiat design but built under communist labor (You now, guys who know they can't be fired for any reason.)
      Past: 2007 Audi A4; 2009 Tiguan S; 2007 Rabbit (with the Guitar! ); 1985 VW Cabriolet

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Carbon Steel 2 DR Man w/ Con & Sun
      07-21-2012 12:51 PM #7
      Great thread, exactly what I was looking for. I am installing a powered sub and replacing all factory speakers. Access to speakers and a place to run my wiring is a bit more complicated than I expected. Just have a few questions.

Step 2...How did you remove the trim along the door? Mine seems like it is glued down or something, do I just need to pull harder? How easy is that section to re-install?

Thanks.

8. 11-06-2012 11:45 PM #8
      Was wondering if the plastic panel that the speaker attaches to in the pic. is screwed or riveted to the body? Can not tell from the pics.

Vehicles
      MKIII VR6
      11-07-2012 12:49 AM #9
      -=MyMK3=-

IG: @Kellen_

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 6MT
      11-07-2012 06:31 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by hachtsgti View Post
      Was wondering if the plastic panel that the speaker attaches to in the pic. is screwed or riveted to the body? Can not tell from the pics.
      The speakers are riveted in. I used a drill to drill them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 6MT
      11-07-2012 06:34 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniornla View Post
      Great thread, exactly what I was looking for. I am installing a powered sub and replacing all factory speakers. Access to speakers and a place to run my wiring is a bit more complicated than I expected. Just have a few questions.

Step 2...How did you remove the trim along the door? Mine seems like it is glued down or something, do I just need to pull harder? How easy is that section to re-install?

Thanks.
      Sorry this is a tad late but... That trim is held in place by metal tabs attached to the trim itself. It takes a bit of prying to remove, and to be honest, I bent a couple pretty bad when I did it. I was able to bend them back and reinstall.

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

12. 11-07-2012 01:51 PM #12
      How about the plastic panel itself, not the speaker. Screwed or riveted? I need to remove to access 1/4 panel itself?
      Thanks