Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1989 Jetta n/a pump problems

1. 04-16-2012 10:38 AM #1
      First, the car stats:

1989 Jetta n/a diesel unknown miles.
      I bought this car in early February in Nashville, TN and drove it 1,000 miles home to Houston, TX. Averaged 30mpg, had a fuel and exhaust leak, odometer wasn't working, shift bushing was non-existant, so I took it to an area mechanic to get these items taken care of.

Let me re-phrase: I took it to the world's worst mechanic.

6 weeks later, I have to pick this car up on a trailer because he can't get it to start. My IP is in the trunk in a bag.

He also couldn't tell me with any certainty where any of the important settings were before he took it off, ie. idle screw, full throttle screw, etc. I put the pump back together from various how-to's off the internet, but this is the first pump I have ever been into, and now there is absolutely no fuel being pumped to the injectors. I have filled the filter, primed the pump to the return line, and still nothing at the injectors. I have, in a fit of desperation, taken the plunger out of the stop solenoid and cracked the injection lines at the pump, and still nothing. The pump is doing nothing. Is there anything else I can do, or am I looking at taking the pump back off and sending it to a shop?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-16-2012 03:13 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by busman1978 View Post
      First, the car stats:

1989 Jetta n/a diesel unknown miles.
      I bought this car in early February in Nashville, TN and drove it 1,000 miles home to Houston, TX. Averaged 30mpg, had a fuel and exhaust leak, odometer wasn't working, shift bushing was non-existant, so I took it to an area mechanic to get these items taken care of.

Let me re-phrase: I took it to the world's worst mechanic.

6 weeks later, I have to pick this car up on a trailer because he can't get it to start. My IP is in the trunk in a bag.

He also couldn't tell me with any certainty where any of the important settings were before he took it off, ie. idle screw, full throttle screw, etc. I put the pump back together from various how-to's off the internet, but this is the first pump I have ever been into, and now there is absolutely no fuel being pumped to the injectors. I have filled the filter, primed the pump to the return line, and still nothing at the injectors. I have, in a fit of desperation, taken the plunger out of the stop solenoid and cracked the injection lines at the pump, and still nothing. The pump is doing nothing. Is there anything else I can do, or am I looking at taking the pump back off and sending it to a shop?

Thanks ahead of time for any help.
      as for it not pumping fuel at all, even with the stop plunger out, it may just have the fuel screw backed out too far. screw it in a turn or 2 and see if it makes fuel pressure.

as far as the settings for the fuel and idle screws (those are the 2 important ones) once you can get it to run, those screws are fairly easy to set.. i usually set my fuel HIGH, and then drop the idle to bring it back to earth.

does the pump still leak fuel? if it does, re-seal it before you put it back on the car.

and FWIW, 30mpg is TERRIBLE in a diesel VW. my GTI gets better (~33mpg) economy than that, and its an 86 w/ CIS-Lambda thats never been tuned since 86. hell, my 83 Audi 5000TD got better than 30mpg.

it should have had a FAIRLY BAD fuel leak for it to account for the nearly 20mpg drop in economy..

is the pump back on the engine? do you have a dial indicator to check the static timing?

THIS LINK should be all you need to get your engine running again, assuming the pump is in good enough shape to allow the engine to run..

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '86 mk2 D/ '86 mk2 D '98 TDI
      04-17-2012 11:02 PM #3
      next time you take a diesel to a shop it needs to be a shop that works on german, or specializes in Diesel
      Type I's
      the "little" D
      also 962 -0 to 60 in 4 years-
      why??more than 1 wire to shut her off?? a blasphemy!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      81 VW Diesel caddy, 86 VW Cabriolet
      04-20-2012 10:56 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by air-cooled or diesel View Post
      next time you take a diesel to a shop it needs to be a shop that works on german, or specializes in Diesel
      Amen.

Vehicles
      97 Jetta TDI, 89 Fox diesel, 92 300SD turbo, 82 GS1100E
      04-25-2012 03:20 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by air-cooled or diesel View Post
      Unfortunately shops will tell you just about anything to get you in the door....then when you have to pickup your vehicle with a trailer they admit they know zilch.

Any update on your dilemma?