Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Interior tailgate light popping out

1. 04-16-2012 12:11 PM #1
      I just bought a 2011 SE, and it was the floor model. Assuming it was the floor model its whole life, it may have had its rear tailgate open for most of its life.

I don't know if this is true of everyone's Routan, but when closing the rear tailgate I need to be somewhat forceful in order for the door switch to register the door as being fully closed. Otherwise, I get the "gate" warning on the dash and the cabin lighting remains illuminated.

About one in four proper closings of the tailgate result in my interior tailgate light popping out of its receptacle. The last time I pushed the light in, I pushed the four little plastic hooks out a little bit and hopefully that helps. But it seems that the light fixture is just a little loose in its receptacle. It seems like it needs a rubber gasket or something.

Does anybody else have a loose tailgate light? Not necessarily popping out, but just being able to push it around a little with your hand? Does anybody know if there should be a little rubber or foam ring around the inside surface of the light?

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10' ROUTAN SE-RSE
      04-16-2012 01:49 PM #2
      You have a SE without the RSE and no power tailgate right? Most of us have a power open/closing tailgate. If we close it manually it only requires a soft shut and a power motor closes it the last 1/2". I would suggest having you dealer check the adjustment and replace the tail light if it no longer stays in place.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      58 Ragtop Bug, 2005 Passat Wagon, 2010 Routan SEL
      04-16-2012 03:56 PM #3
      X2 on the dealer adjustment, also someone else on here had their light popping out on a brand new 11'. I have also snagged the wash mitt on the little clip that holds it in, you could check to see if that is broken off. It is on the left hand side of the lens IIRC.

I too love the power gate soft close!

EDIT: Sorry, I think the other guys was the EXTERIOR---I for got toe read properly before
      Last edited by 58kafer; 04-16-2012 at 06:22 PM.
      1958 VW Ragtop Bug
      2005 VW Passat Wagon
      2010 VW Routan SEL

Be sure to check out the Original Routan Dead Pedal Click Here

04-16-2012 05:19 PM #4
      There is a thick wire that runs directly behind it, that is what pushes the light out.

See if you push it aside first, so it sits beside the light plug connector. This solved the issue on my van.