Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VW Tiguan Mods, Round 2. More power, same drivability. K04 + intercooler?

1. 04-16-2012 05:45 PM #1
      I've got a 2012 Tiguan SEL, loaded, with about 1,500 miles on it. Phase 1 mods were APR Stage 1 programming and Stage 1 Carbonio intake.

I do a lot of driving. 20-30,000 miles/year. I don't want to sacrifice fuel mileage. I really don't want the car to be louder in highway driving (although the sound of the Carbonio on hard acceleration is appreciated). I also don't want to lose the drivability and reliability of the car.

But I do like power.

I'm thinking about what Round 2 of mods will be. I'll likely do them later this year, around 15k miles. My thoughts are currently focusing on updating the APR, APR intercooler and APR S3/K04 Turbo, with stock exhaust. I'm thinking that will produce a nice bump in power without jeopardizing the things that I really love about the Tig. Thoughts? Suggestions? Remember, I've got 4Motion, which limits down pipe options. I also live in Illinois, which has mandatory smog checks, and the car has to pass all readiness testing (which means the 02 sensors have to be functional).

2. Member
      04-24-2012 12:58 PM #2
      Love to hear some replies on this, as I am planing the same thing, did you find a DP that works with the 4motion?

Vehicles
      2010 A3q, 2003 20 AE GTi 1.8BT, 2004 CBR 600F4i, 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R
      04-24-2012 03:45 PM #3
      I'm sure you can find a DP with a cat, throw on a spacer or 2 the non-test pipe file, and you'll be good to go. I got a BB on my A3 w/haldex and it works well (but i don't know if that'll fit your tiguan). That'll give you a decent bump and not much more than a baby growl from the exhaust (trust me, if it was anything close to loud, i'd hear it from my GF). Do it a while before you're gonna need to get your next inspection so you have time to get the spacer right cause you might throw some CEL's in the process till you get it sorted. Bigger intercooler, always a good way to go, especially a properly sized one such as the APR unit.

Check for some dyno plots of the K04-064 (aka S3 K04) on the EA888 TSI 2.0t and compare them to that of the IHI tuned how you have yours. You'll get a pretty good picture of the driving dynamics. If you're not that familiar with a dyno plot and all the other various graphs and data logs and you're moderately interested in continuing to mod your vehicle, i'd suggest you learn some of it as its the raw data that everyone else forms their OPINION on. What I consider good drive-ability, you may not.

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      maxima, a4, 2 wrx
      04-26-2012 05:12 AM #4
      dont sell your catted DP, keep it when you need to smogg it.

Dang, all you need is a chip to upgrade eh. Nice

Vehicles
      2010 VW Tiguan S
      04-26-2012 08:02 AM #5
      You all should look at the Tiguan board. All of this has been done, intercooler, K04, chipping, Bags, Coils, Spings, etc.