Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain GP Thread

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-20-2012 03:08 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by rrr rr View Post
      Although, Saturday practice is usually a decent indicator of qualifying performance.
      Qualifying performance is an even better indicator of qualifying performance

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      04-20-2012 03:20 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by rrr rr View Post
      Although, Saturday practice is usually a decent indicator of qualifying performance.
      I will laugh my arse off if the Ross takes pole again! I don't think Hamilton will let that happen but it would be funny!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      04-20-2012 04:43 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by 24vEngineer View Post
      I will laugh my arse off if the Ross takes pole again! I don't think Hamilton will let that happen but it would be funny!
      It's looking good for the Rosberg. He's a half a second faster than the nearest RB, which is Webber. Again, Webber's outperformed Vettel by a few tenths. They are now with the same evolved exhaust that Vettel does not favor.
      Hamilton is fourth fastest and i've read that they are having a hard time dialing in the car with lack of grip. Schumacher had a fastest first sector when he was slowed by a Caterham. I bet his pace is better than what it showed.
      I'm thinking that the Merc works well for qualfying and if Nico can give a perfect lap, that he'll be on pole again.
      I'm not sure about his tire degradation during the race. Same with Schumacher. Could we see a Mike pole???? That would set the F1 world upside down!!!!
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      04-20-2012 04:45 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Qualifying performance is an even better indicator of qualifying performance
      You know what, you're right! I never thought about it like that before!
      PSN: gospracrgo

5. 04-20-2012 05:09 PM #40
      more for this page..

Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      04-20-2012 07:49 PM #41
      sexy machine, that McL is!

Given the two long straights, Merc could very well be on pole tomorrow. Another front row lockout?? That would be amazing!

I'd be happy if Alonso can take advantage of first lap fiascos, can't believe how slow they are compared to the other front runners. They do heat up their hard tires pretty well so their second and third stints should be pretty good given that they start on softs.

p.s. don't think Massa will be in points come Sunday.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      04-20-2012 07:59 PM #42
      Alonso still over 1.6 seconds off the pace!
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      04-20-2012 08:40 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Binary Star View Post
      I'd be happy if Alonso can take advantage of first lap fiascos, can't believe how slow they are compared to the other front runners. They do heat up their hard tires pretty well so their second and third stints should be pretty good given that they start on softs.
      This is unbelievable to me that a company like that can actually fail so badly. Did they really have zero idea during the winter that it would be this bad???? Isn't this why they test all winter? Hopefully that aero guy that used to work with Newey can help them. Then again, he's coming over from a backmarker team.
      The cards that Alonso has been dealt by coming over to Ferrari. So sad.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda CX-9 Zoom zoom
      04-20-2012 11:53 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      Same with Schumacher. Could we see a Mike pole???? That would set the F1 world upside down!!!!
      That would make me very happy!

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      04-21-2012 01:42 AM #45
      Does anyone know the tire strategy for this race? From the amount of lockups and high degradation during practice I am guessing we will 3 and some 4 stop strategies.

04-21-2012 01:54 AM #46
      Does anyone know the tire strategy for this race?
      Avoid the burning tires thrown by angry protesters?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2012 03:01 AM #47
      Does anyone know the tire strategy for this race? From the amount of lockups and high degradation during practice I am guessing we will 3 and some 4 stop strategies.
      From J. Allen: (Pirelli has never raced here!)

Number and likely timing of pit stops

Before any practice has been done on the circuit, Pirelli predicts three stops in the race. It will be the degradation in tyre performance, which will decide the pit stop strategy and this is likely to be dictated by the high track temperature and by the way the teams get their cars set up to cope with it. The rear tyres will go off first due to the number of traction events out of corners.

The teams may also be looking to manage their strategy differently, possibly looking to use the medium tyre more as a primary race tyre than the soft, possibly using it for two stints rather than one. This proved a winning ticket for Mercedes in China.

The front runners, who must start the race on their qualifying tyres, will be likely to start on used soft tyres as it is clearly the faster tyre for a qualifying lap.

The simulations show that the difference between the soft and medium tyres will be around 0.6 seconds per lap, although this will come right down in the race and that the life of the soft tyre will be 18 laps, with 22 laps the longest the medium tyre will last.

Our own analysis, using the Race Strategy Calculator shows that a two stop strategy with stops on laps 18 and 37 for new medium tyres looks like a good default strategy. Saving a set of new soft tyres looks like it has some advantages too. See if you can find a better strategy.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      04-21-2012 09:36 AM #48
      They obviously got something right in Milton Keynes! Nick is probably creaming himself right about now.

Seriously, where did RBR find the speed? They were off 7-8 kmh to the McLarens, and over 10 kmh to the Mercedes. Nice job by Nico to put it in 5th considering MS didn't make it through Q1. And how about Daniel Ricciardo w/ the fastest time in Q1, and putting that STR in 6th!

Should make for an interesting start w/ Vettel and Hamilton going for the first corner w/ Button and Rosberg right behind. And even though he's in 3rd, I expect Webber to make his usual pathetic start. . Who knows how far he will be down by the time they come out of Turn 3.

And interesting that Alonso posted no Q3 times. Are they trying to get that much more life out of the Softs that he will start on? From the article above by James Allen, it sounds like used Soft tires + full tanks will make for some serious tire wear. First pit stops by a top-10 car by lap 10?
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      04-21-2012 11:02 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      This is unbelievable to me that a company like that can actually fail so badly. Did they really have zero idea during the winter that it would be this bad???? Isn't this why they test all winter? Hopefully that aero guy that used to work with Newey can help them. Then again, he's coming over from a backmarker team.
      The cards that Alonso has been dealt by coming over to Ferrari. So sad.
      They're not allowed to test "all winter." They get three days of pre-season testing and that's it.

04-21-2012 11:08 AM #50
      Ferrari sucks. Alonso is the best driver on the grid. And I hate Alonso. Webber is a lucky son of a bitch to have the seat he does. I guess Vettel is back.
      1989 GLX (Past) | 2002 GTI (Past) | 2005 Boxster (Past) | 2006 GTI (Past) | 2007 Cayman (Past) | 2014 991 (Current)

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-21-2012 01:52 PM #51
      I won't lie, I was f*cking stoked to see Vettel pull that off

Equally shocked to see Schumacher fall out in Q1... The track temp dropping really caught a lot of people off guard I think; the pace picked up a lot at the end of the session.

Ric in the STR was massively impressive, as was Alonso yet again dragging that Ferrari by the scruff to the top-10. Poor Felipe thought he had Alonso's number in Q2 and then Alonso just obliterated him by half a second, lol. Nothing short of soul-crushing...

Should be a heck of a race with all of the different cars and how close everyone is

Edit: Apparently Schumacher's DRS failed in Q1...
      Quote Originally Posted by Schumacher
      "The so called RFA (DRS) rear wing failed on my last try. There was no need to go out again until it was fixed and then the time ran out."
      http://planetf1.com/driver/18227/768...-a-DRS-failure
      Vettel is finally "happy" with his car, and it's fast, so look out..."The Finger" is back

Last edited by nickthaskater; 04-21-2012 at 01:57 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2012 05:03 PM #52

Vettel is finally "happy" with Webber's set-up, and it's fast, so look out..."The Finger boy" is back

I hope Hamilton snags P1 from him in the first corner. GP2 had a great start from P2!!!

04-21-2012 05:16 PM #53
      I've lost all respect for Vettel after he has been such a cry baby.

I hope Hamilton DESTROYS him and crushes his soul.

19. 04-21-2012 05:19 PM #54
      I will be smiling if LH makes that finger curl back down after opening lap.

Vehicles
      04-21-2012 05:27 PM #55
      i hate vettel.

so much.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-21-2012 05:33 PM #56
      The UK broadcasters noted there was still a difference between Vettel's and Webber's cars, but never elaborated further. Anyone?

Vehicles
      1.8 CEL
      04-21-2012 06:14 PM #57
      The UK broadcast also noted that there was no footage of the Force India team, despite placing 10 and 13.
      F1 controls the TV feed. Are they dishing out punishment for skipping practice and voicing concerns for their own safety?
      "There is no moral. It's just a bunch of stuff that happens."

Vehicles
      1.8 CEL
      04-21-2012 06:21 PM #58
      I can't believe the luck MSC has had this season. He finally has a chance to podium and nothing ever plays out well. Two DNFs out of 3 races and now he couldn't break Q1

Vehicles
      04-21-2012 06:32 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      The UK broadcast also noted that there was no footage of the Force India team, despite placing 10 and 13.
      F1 controls the TV feed. Are they dishing out punishment for skipping practice and voicing concerns for their own safety?
      yup

25. 04-21-2012 06:42 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue2.0 View Post
      I've lost all respect for Vettel after he has been such a cry baby.

I hope Hamilton DESTROYS him and crushes his soul.
      You hate Vettel but like Hamilton? I guess because he's black.

04-21-2012 06:49 PM #61
      The UK broadcasters noted there was still a difference between Vettel's and Webber's cars, but never elaborated further. Anyone?
      The Speed Channel guys caught on to that, too.

27. 04-21-2012 06:54 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      I can't believe the luck MSC has had this season. He finally has a chance to podium and nothing ever plays out well. Two DNFs out of 3 races and now he couldn't break Q1
      MS has no luck left, he has used all available luck, for not only himself but some his childrens' luck as well, during his stint at Ferrari. So he is sol.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-21-2012 07:25 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue2.0 View Post
      The Speed Channel guys caught on to that, too.
      Did they say anything about what the difference is?

Vehicles
      1.8 CEL
      04-21-2012 07:30 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by dubsix View Post
      MS has no luck left, he has used all available luck, for not only himself but some his childrens' luck as well, during his stint at Ferrari. So he is sol.
      I did consider that

30. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2012 09:59 PM #65
      P1 and P3!

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      04-21-2012 10:03 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      They're not allowed to test "all winter." They get three days of pre-season testing and that's it.
      They had 12 days.
      PSN: gospracrgo

04-22-2012 12:07 AM #67
      I actually meant to quote the post about the world feed not showing the Force India cars...not sure how I quoted your post.

Sorry about that, and the confusion.

But as far as I remember the Speed guys said that both cars were running the same exhaust this weekend.

The differences between the two from China were that Seb's setup provided less down force, but at a much more predictable rate. I think meaning there wasn't as big of a drop off in downforce when he let off the throttle. Webber's produces more downforce, but there is a bigger drop off when off throttle.

Sorry about the confusion.

Vehicles
      '13 Passat TDI - SOLD; Daily Driver '89 Cabriolet until ordered '15 GTI PP arrives!
      04-22-2012 09:56 AM #68
      As much as the stewards may want to assess a penalty to Hamilton, it certainly appears that Alonso's incident with Rosberg will make for an interesting decision(s).

34. 04-22-2012 11:04 AM #69
      Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Nico does get some reprimand...Hamiltons penalty was administered by his pit crew...twice.

35. 04-22-2012 11:41 AM #70
      The guy working the left rear was seen carrying a part away after the second stop...could have been the culprit.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast