Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to remove light scratches from clearcoat on black?

Vehicles
      '14 GLI DSG
      04-17-2012 12:50 PM #1
      So i have a few scratches on the inner part of the outside door handles of my black mkv jetta from rings, keys ,finger nails ect.. Just wondering whats the best solution. I got a bottle of Meguiars Scratch x2.0 that did pretty much nothing LOL.. Returned it to Autozone.. Do any of those so called scratch removers actually work? Thanks..
      Last edited by LVDubn; 04-17-2012 at 12:53 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      06 BMP GTI 6spd
      04-17-2012 08:31 PM #2
      When dealing with the clear you have to be very careful. Best thing you can try to do it hit it with a medium cut compound, then a fine cut, swirl remover, glaze, then polish.

Vehicles
      '04 .:R32 '98 GTI 2.0 '03 GLX Passat Wagon, '88 Cabbriolet
      04-17-2012 09:02 PM #3
      yeah, in a word, no. None of those quick solution scratch removers work. You have to actually recompose the clear coat in order to get the scratches out and to do that you need to do it in steps as listed above.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      04-18-2012 12:12 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by LVDubn View Post
      So i have a few scratches on the inner part of the outside door handles of my black mkv jetta from rings, keys ,finger nails ect.. Just wondering whats the best solution. I got a bottle of Meguiars Scratch x2.0 that did pretty much nothing LOL.. Returned it to Autozone.. Do any of those so called scratch removers actually work? Thanks..
      Scratch x2.0 blows. For small areas like that you could try Megs Ultimate Compound. As far as OTC goes its about the best you can get and it does actually work, unlike just about everything else.

For reference here is a before and after picture stolen from the detailer's section. These aren't my pictures, nor my work, but it illustrates what UC is capable of with a orbital buffer and a lake county orange/white pad. With enough elbow grease you may be able to remove some of the scratches you're referring to by hand. It's worth a shot.

Before:

Pass with UC on Orange Pad and pass with UC on white pad:

Vehicles
      '14 GLI DSG
      04-24-2012 10:04 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by David802 View Post
      Scratch x2.0 blows. For small areas like that you could try Megs Ultimate Compound. As far as OTC goes its about the best you can get and it does actually work, unlike just about everything else.

For reference here is a before and after picture stolen from the detailer's section. These aren't my pictures, nor my work, but it illustrates what UC is capable of with a orbital buffer and a lake county orange/white pad. With enough elbow grease you may be able to remove some of the scratches you're referring to by hand. It's worth a shot.
      Cool thanks for the tip! But I don't see how i could use a buffer when the scratches are on the door panel behind the outer door handle lol.. Maybe I will try to do it by hand with the stuff you mentioned..

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      04-25-2012 07:07 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by LVDubn View Post
      Cool thanks for the tip! But I don't see how i could use a buffer when the scratches are on the door panel behind the outer door handle lol.. Maybe I will try to do it by hand with the stuff you mentioned..
      That's my suggestion, sorry if I didn't make that clear. The pictures and all that were really more of a proof that UC does actually have some cut to it. It'll take a good amount of elbow grease but I bet you could get some decent results if you work hard at it.