Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Squeeky central console and armwrest

1. 04-17-2012 04:06 PM #1
      Hi,
      I was wonder if anybody also noticed that the plastic around the central console of the CC is very "squeeky". Since the first drive of my car I could often hear the plastics "working and stretching" whenever I accelarate rapidly (for example from traffic lights) or break. I mean mainly that part on the left and right, where the driver and passenger have knees.

Other thing is that I lately noticed that the armwrest makes squeeky noise whenever i press my elbow a bit harder on it. Is it standard feature or a reason to complain/report?

Thanks in advance for feedback

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC Rline Candy White
      04-17-2012 04:27 PM #2
      I thought I had the same problem, ratteling noise, and I could not find where it was coming from. I removed EVERYTHING from my console and glovebox, noise was still there ? I noticed it was my E-pass for toll roads. One of the suction cups came loose, and it was clunking on my windshield.

Try taking it to the "stealership" and see if they can fix it under warranty. I had good luck with squeeks and rattles in my 07 Passat. They drove it, and 2 1/2 hrs later, had a new center console and trim pieces, no charge. good luck

Sent from my 2 thumbs touching my smartphone via Taptalk.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC Lux Plus, Island Gray/Black
      04-17-2012 05:03 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by tad_cc View Post
      Hi,
      I was wonder if anybody also noticed that the plastic around the central console of the CC is very "squeeky". Since the first drive of my car I could often hear the plastics "working and stretching" whenever I accelarate rapidly (for example from traffic lights) or break. I mean mainly that part on the left and right, where the driver and passenger have knees.

Other thing is that I lately noticed that the armwrest makes squeeky noise whenever i press my elbow a bit harder on it. Is it standard feature or a reason to complain/report?

Definitely bring it up with the dealer. I had the same problem and thought that they wouldn't do anything about it, but mentioned it anyways, and to their credit, they fixed the problem entirely.

Good luck!

E

04-17-2012 05:05 PM #4
      armwrest makes squeeky noise whenever i press my elbow a bit harder on it.
      [steve jobs] Then don't press it hard [/steve jobs]

I get a bit of creaking also whenever I press on it more than just having my elbow on it as I normally do.
      2011 Reflex Silver CC Sport - 4300k HID's, DRL's off, 35% Tint, Vag-Com tweaks, Footwell lights, LED interior lights, debadged, extra bag hook, euro switch, rear fogs, fog lights retrofit LINK, clear turns.

CC Windows w/key fob & Rain Closing - LINK

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC R-Line w/DSG
      04-17-2012 05:25 PM #5
      I have the same issue, but I figured it's not a warranty issue. I put some pressure on the console with my knee, so I figured it was my doing so I have to live with it.

At first, it was a simple issue of removing the rattling item from the console, so check that first.
      Larry
      2012 CC R-Line, DSG (stock)

6. 04-17-2012 06:31 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by CCLarry View Post
      I have the same issue, but I figured it's not a warranty issue. I put some pressure on the console with my knee, so I figured it was my doing so I have to live with it.

At first, it was a simple issue of removing the rattling item from the console, so check that first.
      I'm pretty sure it's just the plastic itself. I can hear all squeeking even rubbing against it with my legs And when the car accelarates it just gets a lot of pressure and noise starts...

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2008.5 Passat VR6 4Motion/Sport Sedan
      04-18-2012 05:39 AM #7
      Center console pastic is just relentlessly cheap - thin and modular, making it much more prone to squeeking as you drive or when you put pressure on it or when it gets really warm. I've seen more solid consoles in the least expensive Kia's, Nissan's, etc. I wish VW would've spent the extra $100 for plastic more like they used on the underdash.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC Sport (Deep Black Metallic on Black) & 2012 Passat SE(Tungsten Silver); Previous 2009 Passat
      04-22-2012 12:49 AM #8
      Hi,

My 2012 CC has done this from day 1. Drives me crazy... And it's always when I accelerate from a stopped position, come to a complete stop or lean on the armrest. Last week we also got a new Passat & it's as solid as can be.

9. 04-22-2012 01:26 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by tlbeedy View Post
      My 2012 CC has done this from day 1. Drives me crazy... And it's always when I accelerate from a stopped position, come to a complete stop or lean on the armrest. Last week we also got a new Passat & it's as solid as can be.
      I went last week to a dealer and checked out their Passat on the display. I did not try to drive it, but all the plastics (or even aluminium trims) were very squeeky, whatever i pressed made a high pitched, plastic creak. I can't imagine it can behave better than CC...

10. 04-26-2012 11:09 AM #10
      I went to the dealer and they ordered a new armwrest pillow for me. The squeeking came directly from the top lid (pillow) not from hinges or anything else. I'm pretty happy about it, because my car has over 25 000 miles so in theory, any plastics and interior problems are no longer under warranty.

They also tried to help with creaking, they put some special felt pads (according to them - provided by VW especially to cure such issues). I still hear the plastics 'stretching' whenever I accelerate, but I guess it just has to be like that - all those plastic trims, elements around console are just making noises even when lightly touched/pressed. I noticed the same in all B7's at the dealer's....

Wonder if anyone has a CC that does not make any plastic noise when slowely accelerate from a complete stop?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Sport, 2.0T, 6MT, Iron Grey, Tinted Windows, VW DG Sport Springs, Neuspeed RSB, APR Stg I
      04-26-2012 11:27 AM #11
      I went to the dealer and they ordered a new armwrest pillow for me. The squeeking came directly from the top lid (pillow) not from hinges or anything else. I'm pretty happy about it, because my car has over 25 000 miles so in theory, any plastics and interior problems are no longer under warranty.

They also tried to help with creaking, they put some special felt pads (according to them - provided by VW especially to cure such issues). I still hear the plastics 'stretching' whenever I accelerate, but I guess it just has to be like that - all those plastic trims, elements around console are just making noises even when lightly touched/pressed. I noticed the same in all B7's at the dealer's....

Wonder if anyone has a CC that does not make any plastic noise when slowely accelerate from a complete stop?
      I don't get anything when accelerating or braking, but at freeway speeds when I encounter larger bumps and undulations in the road surface my car gets a bit bouncy and at that point I sometimes hear creaking (like an old pirate ship) from the dash right in front of me. It is annoying, but nothing major. Hoping stiffer springs will stop the bouncing and thus stop the creaking. Given what all I have read, I feel fortunate to not have rattles.
      2009 2.0T, 6MT, Iron Grey Metallic, Tinted Windows, Blue Tooth, APR Stage I, VW DG Sport Springs, Neuspeed RSB
      Audio setup: Focal 165 KRX2 in the front (crossovers removed) powered by Rockford Fosgate T400-4 (one channel per speaker); ARC Audio KAR 265 in the rear powered by Alpine PDX-4.100 (bridged); 8" 250W Powered Bazooka Sub; RF 360.2 Digital Signal Processor

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      04-27-2012 02:57 AM #12
      I hope I don't jinx myself with this post.

My CC, VR6, with 31,000 miles has no squeaks or rattles and never has.

My Eos has a couple of minor rattles when the top is down but I attribute that to all the sheet metal, glass and technical mechanisms stored in the trunk. When the top is up, it's totally quiet.

My experience, so far, has shown that VW builds some very solid cars.
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

13. 04-27-2012 02:36 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by DavidPaul View Post

Don't get me wrong, but I believe that we have totally different level of tolerance when it comes to noises. As I wrote before, I checked a few brand new dealers Passats - they all exhibit the same creaking, squeeking plastics. It's enough to lightly press any of the trims, lean your knee against the center console - and you can hear plastics 'stressing'. Unless of course VW just uses random quality plastics depending on your/our luck...

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      04-27-2012 05:20 PM #14
      Don't get me wrong, but I believe that we have totally different level of tolerance when it comes to noises. As I wrote before, I checked a few brand new dealers Passats - they all exhibit the same creaking, squeeking plastics. It's enough to lightly press any of the trims, lean your knee against the center console - and you can hear plastics 'stressing'. Unless of course VW just uses random quality plastics depending on your/our luck...
      You have no clue how low my tolerance is for automobile noises. I don't even like it when my wife has ice in her car cup because it clinks while moving. I am very serious.

She often jokes to others how I have had her drive while I eighter ride in the back seat or trunk to find rattles.

So far, I have not had to do that with either of my VWs.

By the way, I have the seating for me set up as to where I actually rest my right leg against the console and always rest my right arm on the top. Because of my back injury and subsequent surgeries, it is more comfortable to lean slightly to the right, away from the door, while driving. I tend to put a fair amount of weight on the console.

There are no squeaks, otherwise I would be in the garage right now looking for them with a roll of felt and a few wrenches and screw drivers. Maybe even some Silicone calk loaded in the gun.

Yes, I am that anal when it comes to my vehicles.

I truly believe I am very fortunate to have squeak and rattle free cars, with the exception of a minor rattle in the Eos over very rough roads.

I also believe that it is often the luck of the draw, a crap shoot, if you will. But, overall, I believe most VWs are built solid.

No doubt there are others such as yourself who disagree, but I suspect, most people agree with me.

Just a guess, of course.
      13 CC Sport Plus/K@N Air Filter/Complete LED Interior Lighting/18" Interlagos/Cooper tires/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Chrome Mirrors & Door Handles.
      09 Eos/Tech Package/RNS510/K&N Filter/Silver & Black Leather Seats/Sherwood Dash Kit/LED Interior Lighting/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/Under Seat Drawer/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L Bluetooth/Dash Cubby/BackUp Cam

15. 04-27-2012 07:17 PM #15
      Thanks for your long answer. It's really impossible to discuss such subjective matter when we can't really compare the cars side by side. I believe a lot depends on the luck in how the car was assembled - my friend says that only the cars from Wednesdays are really well built (far enough from weekend ). I just find plastics in VW very squeeky even when they are just touched. Maybe it's also a bit different in US (I'm from Europe).

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      04-27-2012 11:43 PM #16
      Thanks for your long answer. It's really impossible to discuss such subjective matter when we can't really compare the cars side by side. I believe a lot depends on the luck in how the car was assembled - my friend says that only the cars from Wednesdays are really well built (far enough from weekend ). I just find plastics in VW very squeeky even when they are just touched. Maybe it's also a bit different in US (I'm from Europe).
      I am glad you mentioned you are from Europe.

Because the CC and other VW owners, are from so many different parts of the world, it would really help if everyone would indicate where they are from.

In the States, we say, "Don't buy a vehicle made on a Monday (hangovers) or a Friday (anticipation of the weekend).

Some of the workers of the world are a sorry lot in our modern era.

17. 04-28-2012 01:01 PM #17
      I'm glad we reach some understanding It also depends a lot on the temperature, humidity (climate in which we use the car). Here we have pretty extreme weather. Two weeks ago it was snowing, today it's 85 F

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC VR6 LUX
      04-28-2012 03:30 PM #18
      I just got my car about 3 weeks ago (2013 CC) and I've been noticing similar "plastic being stretched" sounds... Not sure if that was evident in my prior cars, but it's definitely noticable now. Thankfully, the nice sound system drowns out the noise, but those days when you want complete silence...it's a mood killer. My car was almost $40k before tax, so that should not be happening...

I'll be sure to bring this up when I do my 45-day follow up visit to the dealership. Even if there is a fix, I'm not sure if I want the dealership tampering with my car...some of these technicians end up damaging other parts of the cars in the process... :/

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      04-28-2012 03:31 PM #19
      My 06 Passat had the same issue after they replaced the center console cause I bought it used and previous owner really nicked it in 08.

Well I had headliner replaced in the car at the dealership in 2010 and I wanted to make it easier to the tech so I removed center console and such. Once I reinstalled it I made sure the console was aligned perfect and mad sure the screws were tight. It never squeaked again.

It might be as easy to make sure all your bolts are tight.

20. 04-28-2012 04:05 PM #20
      And I thought that maybe 2013' CC is better in that area (some small changes in the interrior). I will check all my bolts etc anyway, but I don't think it's the problem here. It just seems like whenever my car accelerates or breaks - the plastics put pressure on each other and make creaks and squeaks...

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      04-28-2012 07:20 PM #21
      And I thought that maybe 2013' CC is better in that area (some small changes in the interrior). I will check all my bolts etc anyway, but I don't think it's the problem here. It just seems like whenever my car accelerates or breaks - the plastics put pressure on each other and make creaks and squeaks...
      There are a few bolts/screws that hold center console to the dash. Thats where all my noise came from.

22. 04-29-2012 03:05 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2003! View Post
      There are a few bolts/screws that hold center console to the dash. Thats where all my noise came from.
      Could you maybe tell me more or less which bolts and screws do you mean exactly? I found just two - from driver's side and passenger side, next to where you nomally keep your knees - something like this:

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      04-29-2012 11:43 PM #23
      Could you maybe tell me more or less which bolts and screws do you mean exactly? I found just two - from driver's side and passenger side, next to where you nomally keep your knees - something like this:
      The screws I am talking about are under the ashtray/shifter trim piece.

I would take a picture but my car is 2500 miles from me.

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC VR6 LUX
      05-08-2012 01:57 PM #24
      Did your rattling stop after tightening the bolts??

25. 05-08-2012 02:30 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by the_runner213 View Post
      Did your rattling stop after tightening the bolts??
      Actually I managed to damage the bolt presented in the picture - I tried to make it tighter and heard a noise and I guess I just "overscrewed" it. Now it's impossible to really make it tight, I'm just happy it's still in it's place.

However putting some soft felt pads between the central console and the glovebox gap seemed to minimize the squeeks a lot. Now I barely hear anything and only from time to time so I recommend trying it.

Vehicles
      2013 CC LUX
      05-22-2012 10:28 AM #26
      Just picked up my 2013 CC and have experienced the same issue. I stuffed some towels (same color as uphostery) between the center console and the seat and it has improved. However, if I elevate the armrest and put pressure on it the squeaks return. How about squeaks from the rest of the cabin? I seem to hear noises form the dash, glove box, side pillars when accelerating, turning, braking and going over bumps. Hope it's just breaking in. The car only has 700 miles!

27. 05-22-2012 08:13 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Ednick View Post
      Just picked up my 2013 CC and have experienced the same issue. I stuffed some towels (same color as uphostery) between the center console and the seat and it has improved. However, if I elevate the armrest and put pressure on it the squeaks return. How about squeaks from the rest of the cabin? I seem to hear noises form the dash, glove box, side pillars when accelerating, turning, braking and going over bumps. Hope it's just breaking in. The car only has 700 miles!
      Well I wish you all the best, but I don't think you can really count on all that noises disappearing...It's just all the plastics stretching and working during a ride. That's how those cars seem to be made...

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC and 2009 Eos
      05-22-2012 08:52 PM #28
      I feel extremely fortunate that my console does not squeak.

However, plastics tend to get softer in heat and harder in cold. They also tend to expand and contract according to temperature. This is what causes various squeaks and knocks in our High Tech cars.

Unlike the "Antique" vehicles of my younger days where all parts were metal, not to mention stronger, albeit heavier, the trade off is better mileage for more interior noise as opposed to quiet interiors and feelings of strength.

Because of plastics, the vehicles of today are much safer and for that I am extremely grateful. They tend to bend as opposed to SLICE. Ouch!!!!
      Last edited by DavidPaul; 05-23-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Vehicles
      2013 CC LUX
      06-04-2012 06:20 PM #29
      I have a 2013 CC with the same squeaking center console you are experiencing. I have tried lubricating the joints with no luck. I'll have the dealership look at soon. From the posts I think it's a common issue. My aluminum dashboard trim also squeaks - especially around the instrument cluster.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VR6 4 Motion LBM - 2000 Audi S4 Sponsored
      06-04-2012 09:18 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by DavidPaul View Post

My Eos has a couple of minor rattles when the top is down but I attribute that to all the sheet metal, glass and technical mechanisms stored in the trunk. When the top is up, it's totally quiet.

My experience, so far, has shown that VW builds some very solid cars.
      I'll second that. My 2009 VR6 4M has no squeaks at all anywhere ever. When it gets warm out that plastic expands and rubs against itself which is why it's probably more noticeable in the warmer weather?