Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: what a $10,000 exhaust looks like

Vehicles
      '78 Rabbit; '85 Quantum wagon; '82 Callaway Rabbit truck; '02 Eurovam MV; '10 Ducati 1198S Corse
      04-17-2012 05:58 PM #1
      Yep, this is the race exhaust sold for the Desmosedici for roughly $10K. Instead of having both outlets come out of the top of the tail like the stock exhaust, it sends one down to the bottom & the other straight out the back, not up. Sorry some of the pics are blurry

Last edited by Spectaculiciousnes; 04-17-2012 at 06:01 PM.
      www.desmolition.com

Follow me on Facebook at ducatiscotty

2. 04-17-2012 06:21 PM #2
      No, that is how one parts a fool from his money.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      04-17-2012 07:15 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      ^ THIS

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      04-17-2012 07:34 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      Truth. For $10k that **** better be made of solid unobtainium!
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World
      04-17-2012 08:13 PM #5
      $10k?
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      2nd gen 4runner. 2011 ZX6R, 2001 WR426F
      04-17-2012 08:54 PM #6
      i feel like a custom exhaust shop could do similar for wayyyyy less then 10k

Vehicles
      '78 Rabbit; '85 Quantum wagon; '82 Callaway Rabbit truck; '02 Eurovam MV; '10 Ducati 1198S Corse
      04-17-2012 09:45 PM #7
      I didn't say it was worth it, just showing what it is. Although that does come with an ECU so do the $3,500 Termi's for the 848/1198 so that can't be an excuse for the price. If you think about it there isn't anything more to it than a Japanese dual can set up. But I think the fact that the bike is such a limited production number that producing parts is done in such small numbers that they need to mark them up to cover the fact that they won't be selling thousands of them. Kind of like when you go into the VW dealer & see they have 2 different prices for the exact same part form just the opposite side of the car. That's because statistically it's wrecked more often on one side than the other. So the side that is wrecked less often tends to be more expensive to buy parts for. BTW, this bike belongs to a former Ducati regional rep so I'm sure he didn't pay the full retail for it. He also a a 1098R that's fully dialed in in track trim
      www.desmolition.com

Vehicles
      GSX-R600, KLE650, SV1000
      04-20-2012 12:07 PM #8
      I'm pretty sure that's the reason why it's so expensive. They must have invested a good chunck of money on R&D, and very few of them will be made. They had to somehow recover the money.

It's not like the Two Brothers slip on that you can buy on e-bay that were manufactured by thousands.

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2011 Ducati Streetfighter S
      04-20-2012 02:05 PM #9
      Saw a Desmo being worked on last weekend at the Ducati dealer. Cool bikes but I seemingly read nothing but random problems with the things.

Can't imagine what one is like to ride. Must be a beast.

10. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-20-2012 02:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by U n i o n 0015 View Post
      I imagine my face would be doing this..a lot....

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32
      04-22-2012 03:58 PM #11
      $10k

I'm sure this thing sounds ridiculously awesome in person, though. Would love to hear one of these at full song!!

Vehicles
      2010 TDi - 2010 Street Triple R
      04-22-2012 08:24 PM #12
      10k is chump change for some people. I for one would never spend that amount for a custom exhaust.
      Qua Patet Orbis - As Far As The World Extends

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Beetle
      04-23-2012 09:37 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by U n i o n 0015 View Post
      Saw a Desmo being worked on last weekend at the Ducati dealer. Cool bikes but I seemingly read nothing but random problems with the things.

It's odd. Clutch is REALLY grabby. The power comes on deceptively. It doesn't feel like a monster but there's this big hit up top. Remember that it's not putting out more power than your average new liter bike these days (which is an insane thing to contemplate).

The GP exhaust pictured is... well... LOUD. Like pull-me-over-now loud.

You are always aware that you're riding something very special though.

14. 04-23-2012 09:46 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Espresso View Post
      10k is chump change for some people. I for one would never spend that amount for a custom exhaust.
      exactly, and for someone that races a $40K 1098R...a drop in the bucket...
      TDI | GTI | FLHXI | PVW 02/09

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 10:42 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by kerridwen View Post
      I'm pretty sure that's the reason why it's so expensive. They must have invested a good chunck of money on R&D, and very few of them will be made. They had to somehow recover the money.

It's not like the Two Brothers slip on that you can buy on e-bay that were manufactured by thousands.
      I personally feel that this is a "tired" explanation for the cost of some things these days. Unless built by a very "old school" shop the research and development for this exhaust likely consisted of building/acquiring a 3D model of the major components (Frame, engine, transmission, etc) and then punching numbers into simulation software and letting it grind the work out. Simulation and optimization software is amazingly capable these days, it's getting fast as processing power and dynamic memory continue to climb hard, and with both of these combining it's getting cheap to come up with what once would have taken months of expensive guess, fab and check work.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG | 2011 Ducati Streetfighter S
      04-23-2012 10:54 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Rennwagen View Post
      It's odd. Clutch is REALLY grabby. The power comes on deceptively. It doesn't feel like a monster but there's this big hit up top. Remember that it's not putting out more power than your average new liter bike these days (which is an insane thing to contemplate).

The GP exhaust pictured is... well... LOUD. Like pull-me-over-now loud.

You are always aware that you're riding something very special though.
      Thanks for the impressions!

04-26-2012 10:49 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      I personally feel that this is a "tired" explanation for the cost of some things these days.
      I see what you're saying: advanced tools should improve efficiency of R&D and therefore lower cost. But in the end, you're still having to pay an Italian to buy the titanium tubing, cut it, weld it, etc. And you're also paying an Italian fabricator to make the dedicated carbon fiber tail section and belly pan that go with this exhaust, and there is the dedicated ECU. When you add all the parts up it's easy to see how you get to $10k, especially considering the Ducati premium (akin to the Ferrari premium) and the fact that this particular halo bike was built as a money maker, not a money loser.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 02:25 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      I see what you're saying: advanced tools should improve efficiency of R&D and therefore lower cost. But in the end, you're still having to pay an Italian to buy the titanium tubing, cut it, weld it, etc. And you're also paying an Italian fabricator to make the dedicated carbon fiber tail section and belly pan that go with this exhaust, and there is the dedicated ECU. When you add all the parts up it's easy to see how you get to $10k, especially considering the Ducati premium (akin to the Ferrari premium) and the fact that this particular halo bike was built as a money maker, not a money loser.
      I can see your point too, but earlier the blame for the price tag was laid at the hands of the R&D needed, not the fabrication or materials. I can see 10k if this is truly a one-off piece, but I can't see research costs even making up half of that given the relative simplicity of the task.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 02:30 PM #19
      if you look at it in comparison to the cost of the bike it's actually cheaper than the Termi full system for an 848/1198. As I mentioned earlier, those full systems are roughly $3,700. Let's take a medium price between the base 848 & 1198 & say $15,000 for the bike & $3,700 for the exhaust then that exhaust is almost 1/4 of the cost of the bike. In comparison the $10K exhaust on a $70K bike is only 1/7th the cost of the bike.
      www.desmolition.com