Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 19 of 19

    Thread: The V-twins have made an appearance...

    1. Member turbinepowered's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2007
      Location
      Southeastern US of A
      Posts
      6,340
      Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      04-17-2012 08:45 PM #1
      It's finally warm enough for the silly V-twinners to make an appearance.

      Over the colder months I saw very few cruisers (couple metrics, two HDs on campus) and MAYBE the same SV out. Lots of Ninjas, lots of supermotos, lots of standards (relatively speaking lots).

      Now that it's been warm for a while, the V-twin population has EXPLODED. SVs everywhere, cruisers everywhere, and two different Ducatis.

      My conclusion: V-twin riders are weenies about weather. Discuss.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

    2. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      US 129/ GA SR 60
      Posts
      35,164
      Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      04-17-2012 09:15 PM #2
      Agreed.

      The dirt bike guys ride no matter what, so they earn that award.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

    3. Member ambit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2004
      Location
      Royal Oak, MI
      Posts
      498
      Vehicles
      05 CLK55 AMG
      04-17-2012 11:18 PM #3
      Hard to ride in a t-shirt when its only 40*F out

    4. Member soldierguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2009
      Posts
      788
      Vehicles
      a small-ish truck
      04-18-2012 09:36 AM #4
      Ummm....respectfully disagree.

      I've got a V-twin (the Dorsoduro) that I'll ride when it's cold. Picking up another V-twin (a Moto Guzzi Stelvio) shortly, and that'll get ridden in nasty stuff too.

      Not all V-twins are created equal...
      soldierguy

      a smallish truck, and a motorcycle

    5. Member turbinepowered's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2007
      Location
      Southeastern US of A
      Posts
      6,340
      Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      04-18-2012 11:38 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
      Ummm....respectfully disagree.

      I've got a V-twin (the Dorsoduro) that I'll ride when it's cold. Picking up another V-twin (a Moto Guzzi Stelvio) shortly, and that'll get ridden in nasty stuff too.

      Not all V-twins are created equal...
      Well, there can be exceptions that prove a rule, but we're going to have to see proof of this cold-weather operation for verification.

      I drool over the Stelvio. Such a beautiful bike.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

    6. Member soldierguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2009
      Posts
      788
      Vehicles
      a small-ish truck
      04-18-2012 12:42 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Well, there can be exceptions that prove a rule, but we're going to have to see proof of this cold-weather operation for verification.

      I drool over the Stelvio. Such a beautiful bike.
      Funny...I wouldn't describe it as beautiful, but I do like the details on it, especially the curve of the exhaust pipes coming off the cylinders

      Don't have pics of the current bikes riding in nasty stuff, and I'm currently deployed to a less-than-snowy place without my motorcycles. But I did just make a note in my official to-do list to take a pic the next time I'm in snow with a V-twin, and then dredge up this thread.

      But until then, here's a pic of a former bike of mine in some chilly weather...not a V-twin though. I'll ride down into the low-mid 20's F...just layer up. On this particular ride, it started out in the mid 30's, the temperature was dropping, and before I hit pavement again I was clearing snowflakes off my visor and it was about 28.

      soldierguy

      a smallish truck, and a motorcycle

    7. Member atomicalex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2nd, 2001
      Location
      Detroit and Düsseldorf
      Posts
      13,513
      Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      04-18-2012 01:25 PM #7
      I'm out until it ices over, so I guess everyone is a fair weather rider to me!
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

    8. Member turbinepowered's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 18th, 2007
      Location
      Southeastern US of A
      Posts
      6,340
      Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      04-18-2012 08:40 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      I'm out until it ices over, so I guess everyone is a fair weather rider to me!
      It rarely ices over around here, so I was out down into the teens last winter.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

    9. Member Snowhere's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 2007
      Location
      BV Colorado
      Posts
      3,338
      Vehicles
      one Chevy, one Audi, one VW, one Beemer, dead but not forgotten, and one Suzuki
      04-19-2012 01:28 AM #9
      Geez, you all are wimps!

      I have been riding this year for over two months now and I am at 8000 ft, deep in the rockies. Google earth 81211 and you will see what I mean. I do have to take some days off for spring/winter storms, like last week storm that dumped 2-3 feet at 9000 ft and above. My morning commute is still around 20 degrees, but the ride home is in the 50's to 60's. I do not use any heated clothing, but I do have a stereo on my old school GSX1100. I can't complain, decent power, decent wind and rain protection and I still get 40+ miles to the gallon. Not bad for a 23 yr old bike........
      Quote Originally Posted by rice is burning View Post
      I get tired of watching Hummer H2s race around. It's like a bikini contest for 300 lb women.

    10. Member Accidental L8 apex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2008
      Location
      Podunk, Ohio
      Posts
      3,699
      Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      04-19-2012 04:19 PM #10
      My wife used to joke every Spring when the HD guys would finally lumber out and start riding when the temps broke into the 50's and 60's since I never stopped riding unless there was snow and/or ice on the ground.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

      Try to understand being offended and being right are NOT the same thing.

    11. Member Darkness's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 1st, 2003
      Location
      State College, PA
      Posts
      600
      Vehicles
      '05 Ducati Monster S2R 800, '66 Suzuki X6 Hustler Cafe, '67 Suzuki X6 Scrambler
      04-19-2012 04:53 PM #11
      I've been riding since early Feb.

    12. Member Spinnaker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2007
      Location
      SFO
      Posts
      6,153
      Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      04-19-2012 05:28 PM #12
      I hardly ever see other V4s anyway

    13. Member abawp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2005
      Location
      VA Beach
      Posts
      12,298
      Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      04-19-2012 06:55 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
      Geez, you all are wimps!

      I have been riding this year for over two months now and I am at 8000 ft, deep in the rockies. Google earth 81211 and you will see what I mean.
      I am supremely jealous of your location. I've been out that way a few times and it's just absolutely stunning up there. Have you been up to Independence Pass on a motorcycle yet?

      Another all-year rider here, I figure it keeps my skills sharp being able to ride in the worst conditions (sans ice of course). I think the biggest reason most of the cruisers stay dormant is all that chrome, would be a bitch to try to keep clean during the rainy season.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

    14. Member Snowhere's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 2007
      Location
      BV Colorado
      Posts
      3,338
      Vehicles
      one Chevy, one Audi, one VW, one Beemer, dead but not forgotten, and one Suzuki
      04-19-2012 10:01 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      I am supremely jealous of your location. I've been out that way a few times and it's just absolutely stunning up there. Have you been up to Independence Pass on a motorcycle yet?

      Another all-year rider here, I figure it keeps my skills sharp being able to ride in the worst conditions (sans ice of course). I think the biggest reason most of the cruisers stay dormant is all that chrome, would be a bitch to try to keep clean during the rainy season.
      The passes are still closed and seeing how they got 2-3 feet, a week ago, it will still be a while before they open for the season.

      I have not seen any cruisers up here yet. Just a few Beemers and some Goldwing types. Once it warms up a little more, I will start seeing the weekend riders out.
      Quote Originally Posted by rice is burning View Post
      I get tired of watching Hummer H2s race around. It's like a bikini contest for 300 lb women.

    15. Senior Member F1_Fan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2001
      Location
      Victoria, BC
      Posts
      20,074
      04-19-2012 11:36 PM #15
      I don't even clean the winter grime off my bike until the weather is good enough for the HD riders.
      There's always money in the banana stand.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      May 8th, 2002
      Location
      Plano, TX
      Posts
      6,547
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      04-20-2012 08:23 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      It's finally warm enough for the silly V-twinners to make an appearance.

      Over the colder months I saw very few cruisers (couple metrics, two HDs on campus) and MAYBE the same SV out. Lots of Ninjas, lots of supermotos, lots of standards (relatively speaking lots).

      Now that it's been warm for a while, the V-twin population has EXPLODED. SVs everywhere, cruisers everywhere, and two different Ducatis.

      My conclusion: V-twin riders are weenies about weather. Discuss.
      Duh, it's a proven fact that the cold weather adversely affects resale value

    17. n00b
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2012
      Location
      Atlanta
      Posts
      1
      Vehicles
      '05 Suzuki SV650S
      04-23-2012 04:43 PM #17
      Hey I ride my SV650S year round. In the dead of winter I don't see any other sport bikes at all (especially 4 cylinders =P ), and very rarely I'll see an adventure bike like a GS or something.

      I see more scooters than actual motorcycles in the winter (but they're rare, too), I think because the ones I see probably have no other option.

      And I'm in Georgia so we get freezing weather but it's not even as bad as lots of other parts of the country

    18. Member 8716vrocco's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2001
      Location
      Chitown
      Posts
      3,196
      Vehicles
      Scirocco 16v, MKVI GTI, Honda VTX1800F
      04-23-2012 09:24 PM #18
      Guilty, I ride a V twin and I cannot stand cold weather. I haven't even had my bike out yet, soon though
      Project 16v Lysholm

      "I hope you go commando, otherwise your panties would always be in a bunch"

    19. Member MRVW00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2000
      Location
      Everywhere you want to be.
      Posts
      9,634
      Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      04-23-2012 11:49 PM #19
      I ride as long as the Continentals let me...they turn into stone @ 40 degrees
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •