Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 444

    Thread: HUGE DISCOVERY- Activate Full MFD on your MK6

    1. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 12:09 AM #1
      Im literally out of breath from excitement! After much research and alot of luck, I finally have found a way to activate the full mfd on your mk6. Some credit goes to fellow orlando native NADERJ123 who brought up the issue and a dude in cali named vendy for the vag help


      Disclaimer: Like always, Perform any modifications at your own risk. I assume no responsibility for failed attempts, damage, or any harm that can come from this. If you don't know what your doing, seek professional help. This is consider informational purposes only.


      NEW UPDATE: Verebs1 has discovered that this will partially work in all jettas with out retrofit. When your gas light chimes on, the "Miles left" will show on the mfd. All you need to is turn on the feature in vcds as mentioned below.

      Pre requisites:

      Vag Com tool
      right hand controls retrofitted
      (those of you who did the GLI wheel upgrade like me finally get to use those controls)
      This should work on every MK6 jetta assuming you install the controls and activate via vagcom (not 100% on the S but confident it will work with more retrofitting)

      this activates:


      • Miles to empty
      • avg MPG
      • Timer
      • and every other option the tdi has.



      Untitled by jettsy, on Flickr

      adding right side controls:
      If you remove your airbag on your se with conv. and up you should see this box (search the web for how to remove airbag safely):

      module by jettsy, on Flickr
      to add the right side, simply connect the controls to the open harness slot on the right. Then remove old blank right side cap and screw on new one. follow with vagcom activation. This box in the center of the wheel is the reason the upgrade is easy for some and a little more complex for others. SE with conv. and up has this black box. Other models would need a new wheel.

      You will need a multifunction harness if you are just buying a wheel and using your old air bag. This picture illustrates what the standard and Multifunction one have. You will connect the "C" area ti the "1" on the module picture

      harness by jettsy, on Flickr

      Part number for the harness:


      if you have this exact wheel:

      all you should need is this:


      cimg2142 by jettsy, on Flickr


      some quick pics for proof:

      Untitled by jettsy, on Flickr


      Untitled by jettsy, on Flickr

      CODING:

      1.) select 17- instruments

      Capture1 by jettsy, on Flickr

      2.) Select "Coding"

      Capture2 by jettsy, on Flickr

      3.) Select Long Coding Helper

      Capture3 by jettsy, on Flickr

      4.) Select the second box or (Byte 1 as the first box is byte 0)
      Check bit 3 "Multi-function Display Active"

      Capture4 by jettsy, on Flickr

      5) close out and hit "do it!"

      Using your controls use the up and down and ok to switch between mfd 1 and 2

      I will update this thread as i find out more. Like always, if you have any questions let me know! AND ENJOY!!!!
      Last edited by jettsy; 05-07-2012 at 06:08 PM.
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    2. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2012
      Location
      Cypress, TX
      Posts
      73
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-18-2012 12:17 AM #2
      So you saying i can have MPG display for an SE ?
      But i have to do a Right control Conversion on my steering wheel ?

      Keep us updated =D

    3. Member asusc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2004
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      799
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI
      04-18-2012 12:19 AM #3
      Good work Jettsy. Make sure you update the main post with further discoveries. I'll add this to the DIY thread.
      Matt / 2015 Pure GTI / AWE / APR

      Hit me up if you need a VAGCOM in Phoenix.

    4. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 12:24 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Cillie View Post
      So you saying i can have MPG display for an SE ?
      But i have to do a Right control Conversion on my steering wheel ?

      Keep us updated =D
      Yes! I just did it! I have a 2011 jetta se with conv.

      Does yours have left controls?
      Last edited by jettsy; 04-18-2012 at 12:32 AM.
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    5. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 12:24 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by asusc View Post
      Good work Jettsy. Make sure you update the main post with further discoveries. I'll add this to the DIY thread.
      Will do, thanks!
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    6. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2012
      Location
      Cypress, TX
      Posts
      73
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      04-18-2012 12:45 AM #6
      I have left controls. SE convenience with 2.5L and 4Discs Brakes with Bluetooth no GPS
      But i do not have right controls.
      I was wondering if I have to have Right controls to gain access to tho mod ?

    7. Member asusc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2004
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      799
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI
      04-18-2012 12:50 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Cillie View Post
      I was wondering if I have to have Right controls to gain access to tho mod ?
      More than likely, yes. The right controls on the TDI and GLI are what control the MFD.
      Matt / 2015 Pure GTI / AWE / APR

      Hit me up if you need a VAGCOM in Phoenix.

    8. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 12:52 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Cillie View Post
      I have left controls. SE convenience with 2.5L and 4Discs Brakes with Bluetooth no GPS
      But i do not have right controls.
      I was wondering if I have to have Right controls to gain access to tho mod ?
      Yes in your case you just need a right hand portion and adapt it to your existing wheel.
      Then vag and your good
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    9. Member redline89's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 11th, 2011
      Location
      Raincouver, BC
      Posts
      332
      Vehicles
      2011 VW Jetta Sportline MKVI;
      04-18-2012 01:19 AM #9
      hmm weird...I've been able to use the controls on the right side of my GLI MFSW ever since I had it put into my Canuck Sportline (SEL w/sport). The only buttons that don't do anything are the left and right buttons (right side). Maybe the guy at the dealership did it for me lol

      Nice job nonetheless
      2011 VW Jetta Sportline; black
      19" RS4 rep wheels on 235/35/19 Pirelli P-Zero Nero rubber; lowered on ST Coilovers
      AWE Track Edition exhaust
      http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/67303.png

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      4,674
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      04-18-2012 03:56 AM #10
      I had thought this was possible ever since I saw the manual page about the MFD that said to use the tight hand controls or the right stalk controls (euro style wiper stalk w/rocker +button). Thank you Jettsy! and everyone involved! (now the only question is... will this work on my S...

    11. 04-18-2012 07:15 AM #11
      I've always thought the clusters would be the same and thought about doing the right button switch.

      I have '12 se conv+ sunroof. If I get the right buttons and do the vag work, it should work with full functionality of the buttons or does something else need to be changed? How much we talking about for price on the buttons?

    12. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 07:16 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by redline89 View Post
      hmm weird...I've been able to use the controls on the right side of my GLI MFSW ever since I had it put into my Canuck Sportline (SEL w/sport). The only buttons that don't do anything are the left and right buttons (right side). Maybe the guy at the dealership did it for me lol

      Nice job nonetheless
      Canada already has this feature u.s. doesnt
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    13. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 07:18 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by rustlerdude View Post
      I've always thought the clusters would be the same and thought about doing the right button switch.

      I have '12 se conv+ sunroof. If I get the right buttons and do the vag work, it should work with full functionality of the buttons or does something else need to be changed? How much we talking about for price on the buttons?
      All your car will need is right side controls plus vag com. Button should cost about 70 bucks on eBay i believe
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    14. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 07:24 AM #14
      Really the main thing is that the activation in vagcom is hidden in instruments and when selected it activates the mfd info along with the controls simultaneously. I still can't believe this has been hiding there for over a year! I finally know how
      Much fuel is really left in my car!
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    15. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 07:32 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      I had thought this was possible ever since I saw the manual page about the MFD that said to use the tight hand controls or the right stalk controls (euro style wiper stalk w/rocker +button). Thank you Jettsy! and everyone involved! (now the only question is... will this work on my S...
      I have every reason to believe it will. of course, once a new wheel is installed though because just changing the right side control is not enough. The inside of your wheel lacks the ability to support it. But a swap should be easy assuming you have vag com and steering wheel triple bolt square.

      Also everyone: I'll keep the first post updated as more info comes. My inbox is kind of blowing up at the moment with questions so I'm doing my best to answer all of them.

      Jettsy
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      4,674
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      04-18-2012 07:39 AM #16
      Not sure it matters but this appears to be another case of same part, two P/Ns, two production use dates.

      For the right hand side there is:
      5C0959538A YQV - Titanium Black/White/Chrome Matte Silk - (4/10-9/11) - $195.00 (list)
      5C0959538B YQV - Titanium Black/White/Chrome Matte Silk - (10/11) - $187.00 (list)

      I don't think the version you get matters but just wanted to let you all know.

    17. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 07:42 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      Not sure it matters but this appears to be another case of same part, two P/Ns, two production use dates.

      For the right hand side there is:
      5C0959538A YQV - Titanium Black/White/Chrome Matte Silk - (4/10-9/11) - $195.00 (list)
      5C0959538B YQV - Titanium Black/White/Chrome Matte Silk - (10/11) - $187.00 (list)

      I don't think the version you get matters but just wanted to let you all know.
      next thing you would want to check is part numbers of clusters.
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      4,674
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      04-18-2012 07:49 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by jettsy View Post
      next thing you would want to check is part numbers of clusters.
      I know what my cluster P/N is since I removed it last week but there are like 30 clusters I'd have to check which are us ones lol.

    19. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 07:52 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      I know what my cluster P/N is since I removed it last week but there are like 30 clusters I'd have to check which are us ones lol.
      yes, my only is doubt is that because of different engines that the cluster may be different. best thing to do is bit the bullet and upgrade your wheel. worse comes to worse right won't work and you can sell to someone who wants it to do this upgrade. I have a gut feeling its going to work though but don't quote me.
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      4,674
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      04-18-2012 07:57 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      I know what my cluster P/N is since I removed it last week but there are like 30 clusters I'd have to check which are us ones lol.
      5C6920950D (>>03.07.11) Otto engine (160MPH) WTF is that?
      5C6920951 (04.07.11>>) CBPA (160MPH)
      5C6920951B (04.07.11>>) CBUA, CBTA (160MPH)
      5C6920950E (>>03.07.11) Diesel (160MPH)
      5C6920951A (04.07.11>>) Diesel (160MPH)
      5C6920970 BX () CCTA, CBFA (180MPH)

    21. Member pdt165's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2011
      Location
      Fl
      Posts
      502
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI
      04-18-2012 08:03 AM #21
      Very nice Jettsy.
      Fuelly info:
      http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/84732.png
      LED bulbs in almost all possible locations. Aftermarket OEM Fogs. ESP Off Button. Malone Stage 1.5 Tune.
      Micro-Can, Jupiter FL, PM me.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      4,674
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      04-18-2012 08:16 AM #22
      Guess I answered my own question again. The Otto engine is the 2.slow. That would mean that the Jetta S with sunroof has this plus the mfsw because it has Bluetooth. I'll check the diagrams when I get home in 15, and see where the wheel control module plugs in.

    23. Member jettsy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 28th, 2011
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      2,000
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta
      04-18-2012 08:17 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Verebs1 View Post
      Guess I answered my own question again. The Otto engine is the 2.slow. That would mean that the Jetta S with sunroof has this plus the mfsw because it has Bluetooth. I'll check the diagrams when I get home in 15, and see where the wheel control module plugs in.
      keep an eye on the first post. Im constantly updating it.
      SteveMKVI JettaMy Car Activate Full MFD MK6 Jetta DIY

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 25th, 2011
      Location
      Fairfield County, CT
      Posts
      4,674
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta S
      04-18-2012 08:25 AM #24
      Will do. I'll post about the wiring for the S drivers

    25. Member MkIVguy21's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 14th, 2009
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      386
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE, sold =( 03 vw jetta 1.8t, sold 2012 jetta se,13 zx6r
      04-18-2012 08:32 AM #25
      awesome discovery cant wait to do this and can any send me a link to find the right side control
      Last edited by MkIVguy21; 04-18-2012 at 08:43 AM.

    Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •