Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 59

    Thread: ADD/ADHD or normal kid behavior

    1. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      22,003
      04-20-2012 07:14 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      My 12 YO is a gymnast. There are two tracks - prep op and junior olympic. The latter is the intense training and travel but the travel really doesn't kick in until level 7. My daughter does prep op. Not as intense and it allows her to do things like ski, girl scouts, lacrosse. JO is a lifestyle.
      My daughter is 8 and hasn't done gymnastics for the past year, but she wanted to go to the open gym last week.

      I forgot how much those parents make me want to poke a hot rod in my ears.
      It took all I had to sit there for 2 hours.

    2. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      04-20-2012 08:47 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by ModestGirl View Post
      I love that this has gone from me asking for some help to everyone ripping Chilledman.

      Now but really, you've been very helpful. to you, fellow Volvo lover!
      I dish it out as much as I take it in

      I personally find it freaking hilarious !

    3. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      04-20-2012 09:02 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check Desk View Post
      Back to the ADHD discussion.....




      I'm 39. Was diagnosed with ADHD, Aspergers and panic disorder (awesome, huh?) last year after spending almost twenty years trying to find out what the hell was wrong. I was misdiagnosed clinically depressed, fed Paxil and tried to jump off a bridge. Another doctor decided I was bipolar and put me on divalproex which not only turned me into a zombie but put 70 pounds on me. I finally said to the doctor who misdiagnosed me (after quitting divalproex without telling him) I don't get depressed unless there;s a reason like I lost my job, my puppy died, you know.

      A light bulb went off in his head and he sent me to one of two adult ADHD specialists in the Vancouver area. I'm apparently pretty severe and even with meds and behavior modification I'll never be free of symptoms. I'm on Adderall XR and while I still have trouble concentrating, I can finish a sentence before my brain spins off to a different topic.

      The Aspies in me, well, that's a whole other ball game. I can't interpret emotions others are conveying (typical Aspies trait) and people think I'm weird because no matter how I try or even if I hang out with my politician friends, I don't know how to start a conversation properly. I could go on.....

      A friend clued in that I might have ADHD when she suggested I cut sugar completely out of my diet and I'd calm down.... nope. Sugar and fructose didn't do a damned thing. In fact, along with the Adderall, guzzling caffeine helps me concentrate and calm down.

      Rambling, I know. I hope this helps someone.

      Dude ... TLR you do know this is about ADHD

      I have to agree with normal conversational items , what makes it really odd for me I am in sales so just normal conversations about nothing are all but impossible for me . Standard chit chat , forget it . Now if its work related then its not an issue but just to talk about day to day stuff ...... ughhhhhhh

      Caffeine doesn't do anything to me at all , and even the prework out drinks I take for lifting loose there effect very fast .

      I have tried a few different types of adder-all and Ritalin and I hated both of them, they both turn me into a zombie with no energy and I have grown used to and love the "GO" that ADHD gives you . Its fantastic to have the energy of someone half your age

      Anyhow this is two long of a post for me since i am losing track of what I am talking about .

    4. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      04-20-2012 09:07 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by ModestGirl View Post
      I thought the same thing. But finding out that he has some personal insight to the issue did not really surprise me. It takes time and attention to make sure all the words are English.


      To someone like myself where details do not matter what so ever , the whole spelling everything correctly is a hassle or a total waste of time. You get the idea of what I am try to saying and what I am typing, so who cares if every single letter isn't in the right place or I didn't make sure the correct punctuation is in the right place or the words I typed are phonetically spelled, but are actually wrong.

      To give you an idea , above and below , they both read the same to me ......

      to someone like myself where detials do not matter what so ever , the whole spelling everything correclty is a hassle or a total waste of tiem , you get the idea of what I am saying and what I am typeing so who cares if every single letter isnst in the right place or I ddidnt make sure theres an opposterfy in the right place or the words I typed are phoneticaly spelled, but are acutally wrong.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2007
      Location
      Littleton, CO
      Posts
      7,102
      04-20-2012 09:38 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      My 12 YO is a gymnast. There are two tracks - prep op and junior olympic. The latter is the intense training and travel but the travel really doesn't kick in until level 7. My daughter does prep op. Not as intense and it allows her to do things like ski, girl scouts, lacrosse. JO is a lifestyle.
      Lacrosse is the big one in this area and it is the worst. Meh, what am I saying...they all suck. I need my girls to get into skateboarding.

    6. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      22,003
      04-20-2012 10:46 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa Dras View Post
      Lacrosse is the big one in this area and it is the worst. Meh, what am I saying...they all suck. I need my girls to get into skateboarding.
      Then she'd be off to Camp Woodward every summer....which is not cheap!

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2009
      Location
      Lewiston, Maine
      Posts
      4,758
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-20-2012 10:57 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post


      To someone like myself where details do not matter what so ever , the whole spelling everything correctly is a hassle or a total waste of time. You get the idea of what I am try to saying and what I am typing, so who cares if every single letter isn't in the right place or I didn't make sure the correct punctuation is in the right place or the words I typed are phonetically spelled, but are actually wrong.

      To give you an idea , above and below , they both read the same to me ......

      to someone like myself where detials do not matter what so ever , the whole spelling everything correclty is a hassle or a total waste of tiem , you get the idea of what I am saying and what I am typeing so who cares if every single letter isnst in the right place or I ddidnt make sure theres an opposterfy in the right place or the words I typed are phoneticaly spelled, but are acutally wrong.
      It does make a difference. One I can almost understand and the other makes my head hurt. If you can take the time to write it twice, you can take the time to write it once, correctly What's that old saying? You never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it over?

      I have two kids who are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. One 12 year old girl is on medication, but she's lazy and has behavioral and maturity issues. The other is an 11 year old boy who is easily bored and is fidgety, but if it's something he's interested in, he's totally focused 100%. Teacher's at school want him on meds because he's disruptive when he's bored and it makes their job harder (screw them). When he's on meds, his personality changes, he becomes a zombie and has zero interest in anything. I hate that. I finally convinced his mother to get him off them. Teach him to focus, learn to deal with it. That's a more important skill than feeding money to big pharma. Sometimes, I want to kill her.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

    8. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      04-20-2012 11:00 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      It does make a difference. One I can almost understand and the other makes my head hurt. If you can take the time to write it twice, you can take the time to write it once, correctly What's that old saying? You never have time to do it right the first time, but you always have time to do it over?

      I have two kids who are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. One 12 year old girl is on medication, but she's lazy and has behavioral and maturity issues. The other is an 11 year old boy who is easily bored and is fidgety, but if it's something he's interested in, he's totally focused 100%. Teacher's at school want him on meds because he's disruptive when he's bored and it makes their job harder (screw them). When he's on meds, his personality changes, he becomes a zombie and has zero interest in anything. I hate that. I finally convinced his mother to get him off them. Teach him to focus, learn to deal with it. That's a more important skill than feeding money to big pharma. Sometimes, I want to kill her.

      Hey that was just copy pasta what exactly came out with no fixing at all.
      I am the same way as your son, which is driving me nuts at my job right now since I don't have enough work to keep me busy ....

    9. Member Spell Check Desk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2001
      Location
      Timbuk 3
      Posts
      4,003
      04-20-2012 10:28 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      Dude ... TLR you do know this is about ADHD
      I've got a cooter. No I won't post pics.

      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      I have to agree with normal conversational items , what makes it really odd for me I am in sales so just normal conversations about nothing are all but impossible for me . Standard chit chat , forget it . Now if its work related then its not an issue but just to talk about day to day stuff ...... ughhhhhhh

      Caffeine doesn't do anything to me at all , and even the prework out drinks I take for lifting loose there effect very fast .

      I have tried a few different types of adder-all and Ritalin and I hated both of them, they both turn me into a zombie with no energy and I have grown used to and love the "GO" that ADHD gives you . Its fantastic to have the energy of someone half your age

      Anyhow this is two long of a post for me since i am losing track of what I am talking about .
      Adderall doesn;t turn me into a zombie but it slows me down enough that I can actually finish a sentence. I'm pushing 40 so I don't need to be bouncing off the walls anymore!

      Anyways, if I don't take my Adder..... wait. what was I saying?

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2009
      Location
      Lewiston, Maine
      Posts
      4,758
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-21-2012 06:20 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Spell Check Desk View Post
      I've got a cooter. No I won't post pics.



      Adderall doesn;t turn me into a zombie but it slows me down enough that I can actually finish a sentence. I'm pushing 40 so I don't need to be bouncing off the walls anymore!

      Anyways, if I don't take my Adder..... wait. what was I saying?
      a 40 year old dude with a cooter?
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

    11. Member ModestGirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 21st, 2012
      Location
      Charm City MD
      Posts
      470
      Vehicles
      98 Volvo V70 (Indigo Montoya) mk2 Jetta (the other woman)
      04-21-2012 10:12 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by chilledman View Post
      hey that was just copy pasta what exactly came out with no fixing at all.
      I am the same way as your son, which is driving me nuts at my job right now since i don't have enough work to keep me busy ....
      copy pasta!

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2009
      Location
      Lewiston, Maine
      Posts
      4,758
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-22-2012 12:17 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by ModestGirl View Post
      copy pasta!
      a little marinara sauce and a bottle of red wine....
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

    13. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      04-29-2012 10:27 PM #38
      So went to my first ADHD therapist thing on saturday .

      Needless to say it was quite interesting .

      I have a second one next month, he gave me some paper work to fill out .

      Not sure how this is going to work , but I have to say I am still strongly against medication as of now due to how it was handled when I was a kid and put on Ritalin .

    14. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      04-29-2012 10:28 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      a 40 year old dude with a cooter?
      I wonder if she has a bald scooter ?
      I wonder if her tassels match the tire color ?

    15. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2003
      Posts
      22,853
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      05-03-2012 01:28 PM #40
      Anytime you see a therapist and they want you to start take meds you should just walk out. They are not really helping, you're just another patient they don't want to spend time on. I think some of these problems kids are having start by looking at the parenting and the kid's temperament.

      We live in a society of excess so any time a kid start whining or crying we shut them up by giving them something new or entice them with toys rather than interact with them. I know sometimes it can be difficult but kids all go through cycles where they just seem unresponsive to discipline or talking. Unfortunately a lot of parents work and just dump their kids off to daycare or having grandparents watch the kids and not really applying any discipline or coaching.

      Kids must be properly coached or disciplined while they're young by parents or they'll develop the ADHD/ADD pattern of just inattentiveness and hyperactivity.

    16. Banned Chilledman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,646
      05-03-2012 02:55 PM #41
      I would disagree with you 100% at the age of 32 and dealing with this from being a kid .....

      The large misinformed issue of the past was the over dosing of kids .

      But I will agree discipline is a large issue these days due to the simple fact of 2-3% of kids having ADHD and 3-5% of adults having it .

      So thinking that your kid is ADHD , when in fact you just need to lay down a few laws is a large issue lately.
      Last edited by Chilledman; 05-03-2012 at 02:58 PM.

    17. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,545
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-03-2012 03:10 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

      Kids must be properly coached or disciplined while they're young by parents or they'll develop the ADHD/ADD pattern of just inattentiveness and hyperactivity.
      I'm not being a jackass when I ask this, but how is your kid doing now since you enrolled him in private school? Better? Same?

    18. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2003
      Posts
      22,853
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      05-03-2012 03:46 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      I'm not being a jackass when I ask this, but how is your kid doing now since you enrolled him in private school? Better? Same?
      Much better, he can concentrate on learning much better now, teacher tells me he seems to be more gifted towards math. I'm worried about my 2nd son who is being a little freak not obeying orders and he is school bound next year.

    19. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,545
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-03-2012 06:00 PM #44
      You could hold him back a year. I wish a more parents would consider it. Kindergarten is mainly social, so no matter how smart your kid is, if he/she is a pain in the ass, the other kids see it/parents see it/ and most importantly - the teacher sees it and must deal with it.

      There is an extremely smart child in my daughter's kinder class. Who needs a HUGE lesson on not being a little jackass. Of course, the parents are a VP and teacher at local schools.

    20. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      22,003
      05-04-2012 09:44 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      You could hold him back a year. I wish a more parents would consider it. Kindergarten is mainly social, so no matter how smart your kid is, if he/she is a pain in the ass, the other kids see it/parents see it/ and most importantly - the teacher sees it and must deal with it.
      It's funny you say that. There are parents on both sides of this as well as a vast difference in kids.

      Some friends of our sent their unprepared kid to kindergarten, instead of holding them back and it backfired on them, but they were in a hurry to get out of daycare.

      Then some people are in no hurry to get their kids off to kindergarten.

      We held our son back 1 year and it was a wise decision, he would have had major social issues the first year or two of school.

    21. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,545
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-04-2012 12:31 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      It's funny you say that. There are parents on both sides of this as well as a vast difference in kids.
      I realize that, I was just throwing that out there. I know everyone has opinions on this, but personally it's a no-brainer. Stuff just gets harder and there is no stopping the speed and momentum of the education system.

    22. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      22,003
      05-04-2012 12:47 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      We held our son back 1 year...


      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      I realize that, I was just throwing that out there. I know everyone has opinions on this, but personally it's a no-brainer. Stuff just gets harder and there is no stopping the speed and momentum of the education system.

    23. Member titleist1976's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 2002
      Posts
      10,545
      Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-04-2012 12:49 PM #48
      I knew I could say that to you, since you felt the same way.

    24. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      22,003
      05-04-2012 12:55 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      I knew I could say that to you, since you felt the same way.
      Understood.

    25. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2003
      Posts
      22,853
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      05-04-2012 01:35 PM #50
      After what we went through with our older son, I have no problem keeping my younger son back until we feel he's ready. Both different personalities and different issues. I have a feeling that my younger son may surprise me. He's very stubborn and doesn't listen. He likes things on his term so it's a battle with him just to get him to obey rules. But, if he's motivated such as engaging in fun activities then he's easy to sway and follow orders.

      When some parents talk about different child issues, some may ask right away if your kids been evaluated. My take is that unless I think my child has a serious mental issue that just doesn't seem right. I think as parents we're all jumping to conclusions too quickly as our expectations are too high often.

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •