Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADD/ADHD or normal kid behavior

Vehicles
      98 Volvo V70 (Indigo Montoya) mk2 Jetta (the other woman)
      04-21-2012 10:12 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by chilledman View Post
      hey that was just copy pasta what exactly came out with no fixing at all.
      I am the same way as your son, which is driving me nuts at my job right now since i don't have enough work to keep me busy ....
      copy pasta!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      04-22-2012 12:17 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by ModestGirl View Post
      copy pasta!
      a little marinara sauce and a bottle of red wine....
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

04-29-2012 10:27 PM #38
      So went to my first ADHD therapist thing on saturday .

Needless to say it was quite interesting .

I have a second one next month, he gave me some paper work to fill out .

Not sure how this is going to work , but I have to say I am still strongly against medication as of now due to how it was handled when I was a kid and put on Ritalin .

04-29-2012 10:28 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      a 40 year old dude with a cooter?
      I wonder if she has a bald scooter ?
      I wonder if her tassels match the tire color ?

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      05-03-2012 01:28 PM #40
      Anytime you see a therapist and they want you to start take meds you should just walk out. They are not really helping, you're just another patient they don't want to spend time on. I think some of these problems kids are having start by looking at the parenting and the kid's temperament.

We live in a society of excess so any time a kid start whining or crying we shut them up by giving them something new or entice them with toys rather than interact with them. I know sometimes it can be difficult but kids all go through cycles where they just seem unresponsive to discipline or talking. Unfortunately a lot of parents work and just dump their kids off to daycare or having grandparents watch the kids and not really applying any discipline or coaching.

Kids must be properly coached or disciplined while they're young by parents or they'll develop the ADHD/ADD pattern of just inattentiveness and hyperactivity.

05-03-2012 02:55 PM #41
      I would disagree with you 100% at the age of 32 and dealing with this from being a kid .....

The large misinformed issue of the past was the over dosing of kids .

But I will agree discipline is a large issue these days due to the simple fact of 2-3% of kids having ADHD and 3-5% of adults having it .

So thinking that your kid is ADHD , when in fact you just need to lay down a few laws is a large issue lately.
      Last edited by Chilledman; 05-03-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-03-2012 03:10 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Kids must be properly coached or disciplined while they're young by parents or they'll develop the ADHD/ADD pattern of just inattentiveness and hyperactivity.
      I'm not being a jackass when I ask this, but how is your kid doing now since you enrolled him in private school? Better? Same?

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      05-03-2012 03:46 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by titleist1976 View Post
      I'm not being a jackass when I ask this, but how is your kid doing now since you enrolled him in private school? Better? Same?
      Much better, he can concentrate on learning much better now, teacher tells me he seems to be more gifted towards math. I'm worried about my 2nd son who is being a little freak not obeying orders and he is school bound next year.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-03-2012 06:00 PM #44
      You could hold him back a year. I wish a more parents would consider it. Kindergarten is mainly social, so no matter how smart your kid is, if he/she is a pain in the ass, the other kids see it/parents see it/ and most importantly - the teacher sees it and must deal with it.

There is an extremely smart child in my daughter's kinder class. Who needs a HUGE lesson on not being a little jackass. Of course, the parents are a VP and teacher at local schools.

10. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-04-2012 09:44 AM #45
      You could hold him back a year. I wish a more parents would consider it. Kindergarten is mainly social, so no matter how smart your kid is, if he/she is a pain in the ass, the other kids see it/parents see it/ and most importantly - the teacher sees it and must deal with it.
      It's funny you say that. There are parents on both sides of this as well as a vast difference in kids.

Some friends of our sent their unprepared kid to kindergarten, instead of holding them back and it backfired on them, but they were in a hurry to get out of daycare.

Then some people are in no hurry to get their kids off to kindergarten.

We held our son back 1 year and it was a wise decision, he would have had major social issues the first year or two of school.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-04-2012 12:31 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      It's funny you say that. There are parents on both sides of this as well as a vast difference in kids.
      I realize that, I was just throwing that out there. I know everyone has opinions on this, but personally it's a no-brainer. Stuff just gets harder and there is no stopping the speed and momentum of the education system.

12. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-04-2012 12:47 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      We held our son back 1 year...

I realize that, I was just throwing that out there. I know everyone has opinions on this, but personally it's a no-brainer. Stuff just gets harder and there is no stopping the speed and momentum of the education system.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-04-2012 12:49 PM #48
      I knew I could say that to you, since you felt the same way.

14. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-04-2012 12:55 PM #49
      I knew I could say that to you, since you felt the same way.
      Understood.

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 01:35 PM #50
      After what we went through with our older son, I have no problem keeping my younger son back until we feel he's ready. Both different personalities and different issues. I have a feeling that my younger son may surprise me. He's very stubborn and doesn't listen. He likes things on his term so it's a battle with him just to get him to obey rules. But, if he's motivated such as engaging in fun activities then he's easy to sway and follow orders.

When some parents talk about different child issues, some may ask right away if your kids been evaluated. My take is that unless I think my child has a serious mental issue that just doesn't seem right. I think as parents we're all jumping to conclusions too quickly as our expectations are too high often.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-04-2012 01:56 PM #51
      My bar is set too low then. I expect the girls to be polite, have some g.d. respect for their teachers and learn something. Luckily, both are very smart on their own and don't need me being a hardass - yet.

I praise the teachers every day for the patience they have. I volunteer every week and need a vodka tonic for lunch on those days.

05-04-2012 04:41 PM #52
      I cant stress this more , I was held back in 5th grade and at the same time my grades went from straight A ( yeah I know it was elementry school ) but went to B/C the next year.

I was held back due to age , not due to the ADHD , which I guess at that time wasn't bothering me? I guess after being held back my care for school went down hill fast , but with doing basically nothign in school I still managed B/C .

( Expect for English D ... for duhhhh )

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-04-2012 05:01 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post
      I cant stress this more , I was held back in 5th grade and at the same time my grades went from straight A ( yeah I know it was elementry school ) but went to B/C the next year.
      I'm not sure I'd do it at 5th grade as by that time there are too many other factors to worry about... I'm talking about Pre-Kindergarten to Kindergarten.

05-05-2012 05:12 AM #54
      I'm not sure I'd do it at 5th grade as by that time there are too many other factors to worry about... I'm talking about Pre-Kindergarten to Kindergarten.
      Oh then go for it !

20. Member
      05-05-2012 11:29 AM #55
      I think anything beyond kindergarten would be pretty detrimental.

Vehicles
      98 Volvo V70 (Indigo Montoya) mk2 Jetta (the other woman)
      05-05-2012 07:33 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      I think as parents we're all jumping to conclusions too quickly as our expectations are too high often.
      This is exactly what I think my problem is right now. When I talk to my mother about stuff my 8 year old does she gets this look, then laughs a little and turns to me to remind me of all the stuff I did at 8. And at 9, and 10... So it seems that she is as normal as she is going to be, given her lineage.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      98 JETTA GLX VR6 (daily) 91 S-10 BAGGED With corvette LT1 motor
      05-07-2012 03:42 AM #57
      back when i was growing up it wasnt called ADD OR ADHD it was called acting up and i got smacked in the side of the head and i got my $hit strait.If i did it again i got smacked again.Im not trying to be a dick or anything, but now adays fuc#ing doctors wanna put all these kids on pills because there add or adhd or what ever.Fuc# that give them a good a$$ whoopin and they will get back in line real quick.I HAVE KIDS 2 in fact my daughter is 20 and my son is 5.The doctor told me my daughter was ADD i told him hes a fuc#in idiot and left the his office.My daughter was just acting up and wanted attention.She turned out to be fine and was a 4.0 student threw high school and is a sophmore at UCLA.
      And I still believe in nothing, Where we can forget the game
      Nothing is sacred when no one is saved,Nothing's forever so count your days
      Nothing is final and no one is real
      Pray for tomorrow and find your empty still

23. Member
      05-07-2012 10:44 AM #58
      Yeah, we all know the tough love and real world mentality and most of us probably agree. But, there is no discounting the fact that it might be a real issue and now that they are aware of it, are diagnosing it more. Maybe too much, but all because they are more aware.

24. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2012 01:24 PM #59
      It depends on severity. Most kids in general are just too comfy with home life and their room full of toys. When they get thrown into school environment all of a sudden they can't adapt to this huge change of pace and many kids just shutoff from interactions. I think it's perfectly normal as long as the kid returns to their normal self when they're back home or in familiar places. It takes time to groom the child to adapting outside life.

My son's current teacher admits that she was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and she knows how to handle kids with the problem. She doesn't think my son has the problem, she's see kids today with just too much attention and affection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12