Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 52

    Thread: Golf VII RS

    1. n00b
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2012
      Location
      Shropshire, England
      Posts
      1
      Vehicles
      2010,Golf R
      04-18-2012 01:24 PM #1
      Look at the nordschleif autoblagh site. The Germans tend to hear about VW things first and I for one hope this is right.
      Possable Golf RS with between 340 and 370 hp using the audi 5 pot in the pipeline. I know this was sugested in car magazine article but this is yet another rumour doing the rounds, do you think theres any truth in it . Link is, http://nordschleifeautoblahg.blogspot.com/
      then type in vw golf rs

    2. 04-19-2012 12:25 AM #2
      That's going to be a $40K Golf for sure, and I would love to see it happen!
      Last edited by Pathfinder2041; 04-19-2012 at 12:37 AM.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 21st, 2004
      Location
      Hershey, PA
      Posts
      258
      Vehicles
      07 NGP Turbo Rabbit, 04 MKIV R32, 98 GTI VRT, 92 MKII GTI VRT, 91 MKII Jetta VR, 91 RADO G60
      04-24-2012 12:41 AM #3
      NEVER, VW only sells us lame, watered down cars that could be so awesome, but they
      won't let them be. Look at the early 90's cars, A 2.0l 16v looked the part you knew it was something
      different, Than just a Golf. Now the Golf R looks so near a reg. Golf, It sucks.
      I want my wide fenders back, BBS wheels, Recaro seat's-AWESOMENESS back

    4. Member nachtmusik's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 1st, 2006
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      2,262
      05-04-2012 12:45 AM #4
      This would quite possibly be the car that gets me out of the R32....the current Golf R just doesn't do it for me.

    5. Member chisai88's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2003
      Location
      Fairfax, VA
      Posts
      1,174
      Vehicles
      337
      05-10-2012 02:23 PM #5
      yes please. limit production to 500-1000 and make it happen. I am waiting for a version of the golf with more power and AWD. Or at least build a version with the 2.5T in it, and I will make the power myself.

    6. 05-11-2012 06:18 PM #6
      A credible individual on this forum did mention that VW can build a high performance 5-pot cost effectively in Mexico and was assesing that option. I personally believe it will quickly get the green light as VW has to look for growth outside of Europe. I just hope the Golf RS comes to town no more that a year after the GTI hits the showroom, no one wants to pay big money for any car that is at the end of its life cycle.
      I am a VW Fan, but above all I am a Car Fan.

    7. Member batman25's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 18th, 2010
      Location
      GA
      Posts
      1,006
      Vehicles
      2012 RB 4dr R
      05-20-2012 11:28 AM #7
      http://youtu.be/vY9utHcr8yE

      Little bit on the car...


      Originally Posted by Autoblog
      Volkswagen will be returning to the Nürburgring 24-hour endurance race this year with this, the new Golf24 race car. It's a hot little number, and we'll see it take to the track during the official race events that span from June 23 to 26.

      Under the hood is Volkswagen's turbocharged 2.5-liter inline-five, though output has been bumped up to 434 horsepower and 398 pound-feet of torque. That power is managed by a six-speed sequential gearbox and runs to the ground via permanent all-wheel drive. Combine that with a body that has been optimized to keep the car as flat as possible through turns, and what we have here is a seriously fast Golf that's ready to eat the competition.

      The last time Volkswagen entered a Golf in a Nürburgring race was 2007, when a 296-hp, front-wheel-drive example placed eighth overall. Since then, the automaker has commissioned its Scirocco GT24 for 'Ring duty, but since 2011 marks the 35th anniversary of the infamous GTI hot hatch, VW decided that an all-new Golf-based car was in order.

    8. Member randomkoreanguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 20th, 2002
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      564
      Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      05-21-2012 12:30 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 1-VW View Post
      A credible individual on this forum did mention that VW can build a high performance 5-pot cost effectively in Mexico and was assesing that option. I personally believe it will quickly get the green light as VW has to look for growth outside of Europe. I just hope the Golf RS comes to town no more that a year after the GTI hits the showroom, no one wants to pay big money for any car that is at the end of its life cycle.
      I think this is a lot more believable than the idea that VW will use Audi's 5 cylinder RS engine (which it's been repeatedly stated is extremely expensive to produce). A VW engineered five cylinder turbo based on the already existing 2.5l that's currently used in most of the base model VW products in North America makes a fairly decent bit of sense. I bet VW plans to use it in all of the .:R Division's next generation performance products.
      There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

    9. Member Yak Meat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2011
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      3,926
      Vehicles
      04 R32, 00 A4 1.8T, 88 911 Targa
      05-24-2012 06:02 PM #9
      now that is a car id add to the stable.
      Garage Sale
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Nothing makes sense on this forum anymore. So I'm going to go masturbate.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2005
      Posts
      137
      Vehicles
      2011 Golf 2.5 fo doh
      05-24-2012 08:26 PM #10
      So is this really coming or not?

      I would get one for sure. I was going turbo anyway. PLEASE BRING THIS.

      Oh and in Reflex Silver.

    11. Member randomkoreanguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 20th, 2002
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      564
      Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      05-25-2012 01:49 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by synaptic piston View Post
      So is this really coming or not?
      There is definitely going to be a new Golf R based on the new chassis. In the past, the R variant has been on a delayed release schedule, so I'd expect to see it a year+ after the standard Golf VII debuts this September. Is there a good chance it'll have some form of turbo 5 cylinder engine? My guess is yes. Quattro Gmbh, BMW's M, and AMG all have engines that are exclusive to their performance branded cars so it only makes sense for VW's R division to develop something unique in order to differentiate their cars from the standard, more pedestrian fare the rest of us buy.

      But don't confuse this (hypothetical) 5 cylinder turbo VW engine with Audi's aluminum 5 cylinder turbo RS engine. Audi's engine is extremely expensive to build and not cost effective for VW to use in its lower market cars (VW not being a luxury automaker like its sister brand Audi). The talk being thrown around is that it'll be based on the existing 2.5l engine currently used in almost every North American market VW.

      Personally, I hope it does come to pass. I think it would be completely fantastic if it sounded just like the old, original Audi Quattro engine. If it does, I'll trade up for a MKVII Golf R just for the engine note.
      There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

    12. Member dmorrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2000
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      3,614
      Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      05-25-2012 10:04 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by randomkoreanguy View Post
      There is definitely going to be a new Golf R based on the new chassis. In the past, the R variant has been on a delayed release schedule, so I'd expect to see it a year+ after the standard Golf VII debuts this September. Is there a good chance it'll have some form of turbo 5 cylinder engine? My guess is yes. Quattro Gmbh, BMW's M, and AMG all have engines that are exclusive to their performance branded cars so it only makes sense for VW's R division to develop something unique in order to differentiate their cars from the standard, more pedestrian fare the rest of us buy.

      But don't confuse this (hypothetical) 5 cylinder turbo VW engine with Audi's aluminum 5 cylinder turbo RS engine. Audi's engine is extremely expensive to build and not cost effective for VW to use in its lower market cars (VW not being a luxury automaker like its sister brand Audi). The talk being thrown around is that it'll be based on the existing 2.5l engine currently used in almost every North American market VW.

      Personally, I hope it does come to pass. I think it would be completely fantastic if it sounded just like the old, original Audi Quattro engine. If it does, I'll trade up for a MKVII Golf R just for the engine note.
      I wouldn't expect the new R to get here for years and then still come with the Audi S3 engine as it does now. The S3 engine is expected to still have the turbo 4. I don't see VW going with a high hp 5 in the R and leaving the S3 with a 4. I also don't see them bringing any mid $40k GTI based cars here.

    13. Member randomkoreanguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 20th, 2002
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      564
      Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL
      05-25-2012 01:05 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      I wouldn't expect the new R to get here for years and then still come with the Audi S3 engine as it does now. The S3 engine is expected to still have the turbo 4. I don't see VW going with a high hp 5 in the R and leaving the S3 with a 4. I also don't see them bringing any mid $40k GTI based cars here.
      I respectfully disagree. It was easier for VW to swipe major bits of the S3 to create their performance Golf back then, but now that they've officially created their own dedicated performance division in the form of R Gmbh, why continue to just stick a Xerox machine up to the S3 and put a VW badge on it? Now that the R division has its own legs (so to speak) they can flex their independence. The tuneability of a 5 cylinder turbo would allow them to make .:R variations of all the MQB platform VW cars with horsepower varying in level depending on application. Anything from a Beetle R to a Passat CC-R could much more easily be done and more easily differentiated from the standard models. It's a bit of distinctiveness that I think the R division really needs in order to make a name for itself amongst the German factory tuner divisions. And I think I need to emphasize again that I'm not talking about Audi's all aluminum five cylinder RS engine. It's no secret that VW has been doing a lot of engine developing lately, and making a turbocharged variant of the existing 2.5l inline five base engine shouldn't be all that costly or expensive to develop or manufacture.

      As it stands, I think the old EA113 S3 engine has been tuned to its factory limits and reached the end of its useful life. VAG has moved on to the EA888. I suppose they could just tweak the new EA888 if they really wanted to, but that just feels to me like they'd be playing way too conservative. One of the strong criticisms about the Golf R is that in some ways it feels too much like a GTI+, rather than its own model (as in days of yore when it had a VR6). This doesn't mean it's a lesser car (because it's still a fantastic machine), but that niggling little doubt is always there in the back of your mind. The fact that all the motoring journalists feel the need to mention it (and comparisons to the old VR6 motor), some to defend the new EA113 and others to criticize it, only serves as evidence that people are thinking about it a lot more than perhaps they should be.
      There’s more to it than that, though. I feel the fast Golf is a part of me. We’ve grown up together. When it came along, all simple and full of fun, I was living in a flat in London. Now it’s soft and luxurious and I’m slouched in a house in the Cotswolds. It’s like 1970s rock music. New stuff comes along which I’m sure is cleaner and better produced but it doesn’t have the heart and soul of the original.

    14. Member dmorrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 9th, 2000
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      3,614
      Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      05-26-2012 10:25 AM #14
      Info on what is expected on the S3 -

      http://fourtitude.com/news/audi-rumo...rns-laps-ring/

      “We hear the S3 will be powered by a new and more highly tuned variant of the EA 888 2.0 TFSI that is currently used in much of the Audi range. The high capacity 2.0T in the TTS and current S3 is an older generation engine and as such the Volkswagen Group will be phasing it out by the end of this production cycle of A3, TTS and Volkswagen Golf R.

      Few details are known about the new S-spec 2.0 TFSI other than power. We’ve heard an estimate of about 260-hp through sources at Volkswagen though any other changes were not outlined as our source indicated that Ingolstadt is handling all of the development of that engine just as Audi did last time around. Looking at that past generation though, we wouldn’t be surprised to see strengthened intnernals and a larger turbo, while valvelift and less frictional loss should make for a more robust torque curve and better fuel efficiency. Who knows, maybe the new engine will even include cylinder deactivation as we’ve now seen in the 4.0 TFSI and 1.4 TFSI.”


      I don't believe VW/Audi will modify the S3 engine and use it again but come out with a completely different, higher power engine, only to be used in the lower priced, similar design R. How would they sell the S3? Wouldn't it make more sense to put the engine you want in the S3 and make the R the less expensive alternative? You think they will let the VW line have higher performance levels at lower prices than Audi? What is there to gain from this?

    15. 05-26-2012 11:10 AM #15
      You're right, Volkswagen has to walk a fine line so as to not have performance overlap between higher and lower priced vehicles in the same niche as Audi. Porsche does this with the 911 and the Boxster/Caymen. They could easily make the Boxster/Caymen better and faster but they have to leave some on the shelf so they don't step on the 911's toes.
      But here is the rub. The new Golf R will have to be much better because of competition. The Ford Focus ST will have around 247 hp and can be had for twenty five grand so the GTI gets squeezed. If Ford does well with the ST and smells blood in the water an AWD Focus RS will arrive and the VW R had better answer that call or become irrelevant.
      Competition is a good thing. It will cause Audi to bump up the A3 so the Volkswagen R will have room go up in performance to match not just Ford, but Subaru, Mini, Hyundai....
      It's a great time to be a car guy.

    16. Member SHIPARCH's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2011
      Location
      Miami, FL
      Posts
      364
      Vehicles
      '15 M235i
      05-26-2012 08:37 PM #16
      I doubt VW would make a Golf RS, there has been the same rumor going on for quite a while with the MKV and MKVI that I can remember, these never saw the light of day. I'm sure there will once again be a regular Golf, TDI, GTI, GTD for the European market and maybe a Cabrio version of the MKVII.

      I don't think bringing a version superior to the Golf R would make much business sense. Selling the Golf R is already tough, a $35K Golf is a difficult buy for the regular buyer which would be more inclined to buy a GTI; an RS would cost over $40K which I'm sure some enthusiasts would gladly pay (I would if it was the right car).

      The question is how much better would an MKVII RS be over an R and would the price difference be logical for VW to have three or four performance models on the Golf line (GTI, GTD, R, RS)? Ideally I would have a FWD GTI at $25K, RWD GTI at $30K and AWD R at $35K.
      2015 M235i | 2012 GTI MKVI | 2013 CC | 2012 A5

    17. Member John Y's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 27th, 1999
      Location
      Brooklyn to Hannover, Germany
      Posts
      5,813
      Vehicles
      Old World: 2015 BMW X1. New World: 2015 GTI S, 93 Corrado SLC
      05-29-2012 03:18 PM #17
      I do expect an RS version with the turbo 5 in it; I just expect it to be really expensive, really limited production for only the hardest of hard-core VW freaks, and really unlikely to make it to the States. The stuff I've read about it here seems fairly credible to me, and I think past discussion of this possibility hasn't been much more than Vortexer speculation, if I can recall. I believe there will still be a 4-cylinder R, EA888 motor version with output around 280 or 290 hp. That's the one that sells in reasonable quantities over here, so I would be shocked if they dumped the 4-cyl. 'R' model or models in favor of having only the turbo 5 available above the GTI - that would be a pretty huge performance and price gap.

    18. Member VWPDX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 7th, 2011
      Location
      Portland, OR
      Posts
      1,485
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R (2012-) 1997 GTI-VR6 (1998-2007)
      05-30-2012 01:30 PM #18
      For a 2016 R, I would expect something more mild and evolutionary. It would make a lot more sense to me to polish the existing TSI and add a K04 for close to 280HP. This would also separate it further from the rumored 220-230 HP Mk VII GTI. I would expect that the R version will be released in Europe at least a full year after the Mk VII GTI. (2014) The RS models usually come out later and have an unfortunate habit of not making it to the US. (newer RS6, RS3, etc.) The RS4 was limited in production and provided competition vs. the M3. The 2012 R has sold ok with the very limited numbers they have brought over, but if the public scoffs at a $35K Golf, what would they say about a (probably) $45K Golf? There is essentially no hot hatch competition at that price range for a reason. We have seen a very different approach in importing this new R. A majority of the sales have been sold orders and VW will likely only bring over 2000-2500 over two model years. This was apparently done to avoid the glut of R32s on dealer lots in 2005/2009. If they are still pulling a profit (which I assume they are), this select strategy might make marketing if not profit sense. Bringing over 500 mostly sold orders could create quite a stir. If I could get a decent sales price on my R, I would seriously consider a $45K 2016 Mk VII RS.

    19. Member Tampavw's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2006
      Location
      Tampa FL
      Posts
      2,937
      Vehicles
      2008/VW/R32
      06-10-2012 12:23 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by RAD32 View Post
      NEVER, VW only sells us lame, watered down cars that could be so awesome, but they
      won't let them be. Look at the early 90's cars, A 2.0l 16v looked the part you knew it was somethingdifferent, Than just a Golf. Now the Golf R looks so near a reg. Golf, It sucks.
      I want my wide fenders back, BBS wheels, Recaro seat's-AWESOMENESS back
      100% TRUE

      Just came in today
      GOLF VII R








      Last edited by Tampavw; 10-19-2012 at 11:15 PM.
      R32/939

    20. Member Issam Abed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2004
      Location
      EVERYWHERE
      Posts
      13,413
      Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      06-10-2012 04:14 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by randomkoreanguy View Post
      But don't confuse this (hypothetical) 5 cylinder turbo VW engine with Audi's aluminum 5 cylinder turbo RS engine. Audi's engine is extremely expensive to build and not cost effective for VW to use in its lower market cars (VW not being a luxury automaker like its sister brand Audi). The talk being thrown around is that it'll be based on the existing 2.5l engine currently used in almost every North American market VW.
      1. Audi TT-TS / Audi RS3 motor is steel block. Audi/VW has never built an Aluminum gasoline inline-5 motor (read gasoline)
      2. The 2.5 20V N/A motor found in the North American Rabbit & Jetta's is essentially the same motor as the TT-RS units.
      3. We allready know (through direct sources) that the inline-5 turbo motor is not dead and will be coming in alot more chassis's in the near future. Like always the motor will find its way into a flag ship Audi then trickle down into VW and finally Seat / Skoda as bottom feeders while Audi focuses on the new hot ****.
      4. The MKVII more than likely will see the TT-RS motor but a watered down version. Maybe a cast crankshaft over a forged but direct injection is here to stay which leaves the 2.5 20V motor (at least the cylinder head) out of the question.


      Food for thought, current Golf R uses an 8 year old motor...

    21. Member merog's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2006
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      186
      Vehicles
      2010 vw golf VI 1,4 TSI Highline
      06-10-2012 06:57 AM #21
      This is what Wikipedia had on the Inline 5 turbo from the TT RS.

      2.5 R5 20v TFSI 250kW-300kW (Audi TTRS, RS3 & quattro Concept)

      An all-new engine designed by AUDI AGs high-performance subsidiary quattro GmbH, harking back to the original turbocharged five cylinder Audi engines in the "Ur-" Audi Quattro of the 1980s.
      A world first for a petrol engine, its cylinder block is constructed from compacted vermicular graphite cast iron (GJV/CGI) - first used in Audis large displacement, high-performance Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) diesel engines.
      (...)
      dimensions length: 494 millimetres (19.4 in), mass: 183 kilograms (403 lb) DIN-rated motive power & torque output 250 kilowatts (340 PS; 335 bhp) @ 5,400-6,500 rpm (specific power of 100.8 kW (137.0 PS; 135.2 bhp) per litre); 450 newton metres (332 lbf·ft) @ 1,600-5,300 rpm; redline: 6,800 rpm 300 kilowatts (408 PS; 402 bhp) @ 5,400-6,500 rpm; 480 newton metres (354 lbf·ft) @ 1,600-5,300 rpm; redline: 8,000 rpm

    22. Member eurolife's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 29th, 2009
      Location
      Provo, UT
      Posts
      482
      Vehicles
      '98 Jetta GLX (gone), 04 GLI BMP
      07-13-2012 03:18 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by dmorrow View Post
      I wouldn't expect the new R to get here for years and then still come with the Audi S3 engine as it does now. The S3 engine is expected to still have the turbo 4. I don't see VW going with a high hp 5 in the R and leaving the S3 with a 4. I also don't see them bringing any mid $40k GTI based cars here.
      Didn't the original R32 come with a vr6 and the equivalent S3 have a 1.8t?

    23. Member Waterfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,149
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      08-17-2012 03:30 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by John Y View Post
      I do expect an RS version with the turbo 5 in it; I just expect it to be really expensive, really limited production for only the hardest of hard-core VW freaks, and really unlikely to make it to the States. The stuff I've read about it here seems fairly credible to me, and I think past discussion of this possibility hasn't been much more than Vortexer speculation, if I can recall. I believe there will still be a 4-cylinder R, EA888 motor version with output around 280 or 290 hp. That's the one that sells in reasonable quantities over here, so I would be shocked if they dumped the 4-cyl. 'R' model or models in favor of having only the turbo 5 available above the GTI - that would be a pretty huge performance and price gap.
      ^This

      VAG will not do anything to potentially eclipse their premium/sport brand in the US (Audi).

      VW gets new tech after said tech has had its time in the sun in Audis (almost exclusively). Therefore only after the 5cyl turbo has already been available in Audis for 3-5 years would the Gold R qualify for it.

      You want the new tech/new shinies fast, you have to go Audi in the US.

      Sure we don't like it, but it's still nice that VW gets really cool handmedowns from big brother Audi eventually. And in an affordable package for the performance/quality/value.

    24. Moderator DannyLo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2006
      Location
      631/203
      Posts
      13,192
      Vehicles
      Not Vortex Approved
      08-25-2012 06:44 PM #24
      VW should really consider this RS model if they want to actually compete where the the R keeps naturally getting compared to in the car community. People on the street always compare it to the STI and the EVO.

      I always hear: Evo, STI, and R32/Golf R...except the cars never really were all on the same level. Evo and STI were, but the R cars always fell behind.

      In reality and on paper, it's more in the same class as the current WRXs/Lancer Ralliarts

    25. 09-20-2012 06:52 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by eurolife View Post
      Didn't the original R32 come with a vr6 and the equivalent S3 have a 1.8t?
      The S3 had 210hp out of its 1.8T, the TT 225 made 225 hp out of the same engine, the S3 was also available well before the R32 showed up. When the MKIV R32 arrived it made 240hp in euro trim while the TT3.2 made 250hp (same as the US MKIV R32)

      MKV Golf R32, A3 3.2(typically called the S-line) and TT 3.2 all made the same hp.

      The Golf R has the same engine as the TT-S and the S3, (in most markets making the same HP, in some markets it gets detuned, while others only advertise such for the VW).

      IMHO, the Golf RS (should be RSI as VW has that precedence with the Beetle RSI) will be built and sold at least in their home market. It might make as much as the equivalent TT-RS makes (the TT will be faster because it is lighter).

      For the US, I'd make the Golf R a delayed release regular lineup trim level (show up a year or so after the new Golf 7 appears and remain on sale until the generation is up): this should create a larger pool of cars to absorb federalization costs for different transmissions/body types etc. (ie no more DSG or manual, bring both) It should also hopefully drop the cost a bit (don't hold your breath)

      A US Golf RS(i) would then become the limited numbers top trim level. It's price would have to be in the mid to high $40Ks because you'd otherwise hurt sales of Audi models (TT-S currently starts @ $47K, who knows what the price will be in several years time), it would also compete better with the Evo and STI which can reach into the $40k price range now and the BMW 1M which resided in the high $47K-50K+ range.

    26. Member Waterfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,149
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      09-20-2012 08:55 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by gizmopop View Post
      For the US, I'd make the Golf R a delayed release regular lineup trim level (show up a year or so after the new Golf 7 appears and remain on sale until the generation is up): this should create a larger pool of cars to absorb federalization costs for different transmissions/body types etc. (ie no more DSG or manual, bring both) It should also hopefully drop the cost a bit (don't hold your breath)

      A US Golf RS(i) would then become the limited numbers top trim level. It's price would have to be in the mid to high $40Ks because you'd otherwise hurt sales of Audi models (TT-S currently starts @ $47K, who knows what the price will be in several years time), it would also compete better with the Evo and STI which can reach into the $40k price range now and the BMW 1M which resided in the high $47K-50K+ range.
      Very well said. This is exactly what they should do.

    27. 10-15-2012 08:39 PM #27
      I don't doubt that they'll build it, I just doubt that they will offer it here.

    28. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2012
      Location
      Satellite Beach, FL
      Posts
      221
      10-21-2012 06:47 PM #28
      If they sold it here, or similarly the Audi RS3, I would put an order in for sure. That being said, I think it is extremely unlikely to see it come to the states.

    29. Member vr6fanatic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2003
      Location
      Mass
      Posts
      9,113
      Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      10-23-2012 09:27 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by gizmopop View Post
      The S3 had 210hp out of its 1.8T, the TT 225 made 225 hp out of the same engine, the S3 was also available well before the R32 showed up. When the MKIV R32 arrived it made 240hp in euro trim while the TT3.2 made 250hp (same as the US MKIV R32)

      MKV Golf R32, A3 3.2(typically called the S-line) and TT 3.2 all made the same hp.

      The Golf R has the same engine as the TT-S and the S3, (in most markets making the same HP, in some markets it gets detuned, while others only advertise such for the VW).

      IMHO, the Golf RS (should be RSI as VW has that precedence with the Beetle RSI) will be built and sold at least in their home market. It might make as much as the equivalent TT-RS makes (the TT will be faster because it is lighter).

      For the US, I'd make the Golf R a delayed release regular lineup trim level (show up a year or so after the new Golf 7 appears and remain on sale until the generation is up): this should create a larger pool of cars to absorb federalization costs for different transmissions/body types etc. (ie no more DSG or manual, bring both) It should also hopefully drop the cost a bit (don't hold your breath)

      A US Golf RS(i) would then become the limited numbers top trim level. It's price would have to be in the mid to high $40Ks because you'd otherwise hurt sales of Audi models (TT-S currently starts @ $47K, who knows what the price will be in several years time), it would also compete better with the Evo and STI which can reach into the $40k price range now and the BMW 1M which resided in the high $47K-50K+ range.


      Very well said Gizmo.

      I Highly doubt that Volkswagen will ever make such a vehicle, and if they do, It'll more likely be another forbidden fruit that we will not be able to taste.
      Laz

      Many people enjoy eating apples and oranges, but in the end they are still… just apples and oranges. The R32 is passion fruit. . Live Long and Prosper.

    30. Member goforit2007's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Mount Prospect, IL (Chicagoland)
      Posts
      2,903
      Vehicles
      2012 4dr Base Rising Blue Golf R
      10-24-2012 10:43 AM #30
      as I sit a happy and content owner of a 2012 Golf R, I eagerly await what is coming next to wet my appetite and see if it is something that makes me want to upgrade to stay put with what I already have... time will tell!
      -2012 Rising Blue Base 4dr 2012 R (current daily driver!)

      -1995 Spec Miata
      -1994 Sentra SE-R (PTE track beast in-the-works)
      -1995 Infiniti G20 (NASA PTF/TTF track rat) and 2012 NASA Nationals PTF Champion!

    31. 10-28-2012 02:31 PM #31
      Audi 5 pot? Maybe. 340-370hp? No chance. Not as standard, anyway. Try 295hp.

    32. Member Waterfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,149
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      10-28-2012 02:56 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by mootpoint View Post
      Audi 5 pot? Maybe. 340-370hp? No chance. Not as standard, anyway. Try 295hp.
      Current Audi TTRS has 2.5T FSI that makes ~360hp stock with tuning potential in the mid 400's easily.

      If a Golf RS gets this engine (and I don't believe the US will ever see this this config) it could easily be 340-370 hp.

      EDIT: can't type

    33. 10-28-2012 03:03 PM #33
      In the UK, a stock TTRS makes 335hp. The Audi is always going to get more power as standard than its VW poorer cousin, hence my prediction of 295hp. That said, with an aftermarket tune, 370hp should be easy.

    34. Member Waterfan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 9th, 2012
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      2,149
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      10-28-2012 03:13 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by mootpoint View Post
      In the UK, a stock TTRS makes 335hp. The Audi is always going to get more power as standard than its VW poorer cousin, hence my prediction of 295hp. That said, with an aftermarket tune, 370hp should be easy.
      Yes. VW will always get less (especially in the US IMO). It all depends on the Audi hp figure.

      At least there IS an Audi brand for premiering new tech that VW can eventually use (2-5 years later).

    35. 11-07-2012 01:26 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Waterfan View Post
      Yes. VW will always get less (especially in the US IMO). It all depends on the Audi hp figure.

      At least there IS an Audi brand for premiering new tech that VW can eventually use (2-5 years later).
      VW typically advertises that it's car is making less. in some cases it is true (euro MKIV Golf R32 made 240hp vs TT3.2 250hp, certain warm climate Golf Rs around the world actually made 243/256 hp vs 265/270 in the TTS) in some cases it is false ( U.S. MKIV Golf R32 actually made 250hp same as the TT3.2, Euro Golf Rs make 270hp and the rumor is U.S. Golf Rs are not detuned )

      A Golf RS(i) will be made eventually, whether it comes out over in the U.S. is another story.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •