Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Engine pull and Install...???

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      04-18-2012 04:13 PM #1
      So who out here has pulled their/an FSI engine and either rebuilt it or put a new/used one back in?

I'm not talking about switching engine codes or even transmissions, just a straight engine swap.
      Long story short buddy blew his engine 2 hours after picking it up, not his fault. It was pure negligence on previous owner. Anyways, it seems the cheapest option is to get a used engine and do the swap.

Extent of damage we can see from pulling valve cover:
      Hydraulic cam tensioner exploded and chain has no tension
      Intake camshaft has a blown out bearing
      How many valves are bent is the question
      Timing belt is flappy loose
      Most likely going to find metal shavings in the oil pan

So obviously a rebuild would be far more expensive because we need a new head, block needs minimum honed maybe bored and sleeved... Need all new gaskets, possibly new rods and pistons. New oil pump and pick up tube... and probably more I'm forgetting.

Anyways main question:
      What would be the level of difficulty of swapping motors?
      Would most likely have a Bentley manual and a VW tech helping when necessary, but the real issue is the means to the end.
      Most likely going to be using jacks, stands and ramps. The tech friend says extremely difficult without a 4-point lift and the adapter plate to drop the motor out from the bottom with the trans still attached... Improbable or just a real **** sucker to do?
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      04-24-2012 03:51 PM #2
      I know someone has pulled an FSI in here

Vehicles
      B6 Passat
      04-24-2012 10:58 PM #3
      got mine done at the dealer..went to visit one day and it looked difficult..I wouldn't do this in my driveway on stands/ramps..
      R135
      └┼┼┤ /B6 exSTATICo

Vehicles
      08 2.1L Fsi 67'd SFWD Gti, mk2 67'd VRT Jetta
      04-24-2012 11:12 PM #4
      Pull the front clip off as described in the Apr diy.
      http://www.goapr.com/support/trans_fsi_ic_manual.pdf

Then:
      disconnect harness/starter/alt/battery
      remove shift linkages
      disconnect coolant lines
      disconnect fuel and evap lines
      remove exhaust
      remove turbo discharge
      remove noise pipe
      remove axles
      remove pen mount
      remove upper mounts

Ive pulled motors at junk yards with minimal tools and still took no more then 90 mins with everything attached. Just make sure you disconect everything before you try to slide it out. It sucks to have to remove things while the engine is half out. Good luck on the fix

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      04-25-2012 08:26 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by fastD View Post
      got mine done at the dealer..went to visit one day and it looked difficult..I wouldn't do this in my driveway on stands/ramps..
      How the dealer does it is impossible without a 4-point lift, trans jack with adapter plate and some other tools, but that is the quickest as far as shop labor time, hence why they do it that way. But taking off the front clip and using an engine hoist is the easiest way without the dealer tools...

Quote Originally Posted by IMAN973 View Post
      Pull the front clip off as described in the Apr diy.
      http://www.goapr.com/support/trans_fsi_ic_manual.pdf

Then:
      disconnect harness/starter/alt/battery
      remove shift linkages
      disconnect coolant lines
      disconnect fuel and evap lines
      remove exhaust
      remove turbo discharge
      remove noise pipe
      remove axles
      remove pen mount
      remove upper mounts

Ive pulled motors at junk yards with minimal tools and still took no more then 90 mins with everything attached. Just make sure you disconect everything before you try to slide it out. It sucks to have to remove things while the engine is half out. Good luck on the fix
      Ah thank you very much good sir! I will probably keep this thread once we get the engine and everything, the closest engine we found is about 92 miles away, so how to transport it is the biggest question. And we need the $2k for the engine and the extra $300 in gaskets or whatnot and then to have $500 sitting around as backup money for those "problems" you run into on a project like this. And we hope the turbo is still good... I'll talk him into a K04 or GT3071R or something if the turbo is bad because there is no better time to replace it
      Oh, and I guess we will have a block/head various engine parts for sale for cheaps, although most of it will probably be toast...

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 12:02 AM #6
      Not a problem.
      LMK if you have any questions.

Im always looking for engine cores so lmk when you pull everything apart.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      04-26-2012 09:39 AM #7
      Not a problem.
      LMK if you have any questions.

Im always looking for engine cores so lmk when you pull everything apart.
      Awesome thanks man. And while we do this I plan to take 1000 pictures of each step lol
      not quite, but I think I'm going to use this opportunity to make a very in depth engine pull/install DIY for the FSI.
      Everything is going to be labeled before we take the engine out, and everything is going to be labeled on the other engine as well...
      And when we are tearing the old engine apart I'll send you pictures of the extent of the damage; it's pretty bad...
      Hydraulic cam tensioner grenaded and all that due to oil pressure loss, the head definitely needs rebuilt if it can be saved, and we haven't looked at the block or the pistons yet, but I will definitely let you know what's going on when we do it.

Vehicles
      04-26-2012 11:42 AM #8

Vehicles
      2006 VW BT Passat
      04-26-2012 08:59 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by FACTORYBOOST View Post
      Awesome thanks man. And while we do this I plan to take 1000 pictures of each step lol
      not quite, but I think I'm going to use this opportunity to make a very in depth engine pull/install DIY for the FSI.
      Everything is going to be labeled before we take the engine out, and everything is going to be labeled on the other engine as well...
      And when we are tearing the old engine apart I'll send you pictures of the extent of the damage; it's pretty bad...
      Hydraulic cam tensioner grenaded and all that due to oil pressure loss, the head definitely needs rebuilt if it can be saved, and we haven't looked at the block or the pistons yet, but I will definitely let you know what's going on when we do it.

Sent from my EVO 4G
      Unitronic Stage III w/ PT5558BB Turbo Unitronic.ca, IE HPFP, 3in B&B TBE, BSH throttle pipe/27mm RSB/Endlinks , Forge 007 DV , RalcoRC/Forge SS, 42Draft Design CNC Shifter bushings, BFI stage 2 motor/tranny mounts, 034 Dogbone, KW V2 coilovers, Nuespeed 25mm FSB, Whiteline Anti-lift kit/Front control arm bushings, 18x8.5 VMR VB3s, JBL stereo, CTS Turbo 2.0t FSI Big turbo kit!

10. 04-27-2012 05:07 PM #10
      I pulled mine and rebuilt the bottom end when I put on the big turbo. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...GTX3071r-build
      .doTuning

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      04-30-2012 09:03 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin160 View Post
      I pulled mine and rebuilt the bottom end when I put on the big turbo. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...GTX3071r-build
      Unfortunately the budget is as tight as possible... Dont really have the extra money to throw in there, plus the head is trashed...
      And the block will probably need at least honed...

12. 04-30-2012 10:04 PM #12
      Instead of a new engine, pull the cylinder head off and look at the cylinder walls. If they're ok - and they probably will be, replace only the head and timing belt system. Do NOT hone the cylinders - will cause more problems than its worth. Just clean off the tops of the pistons. Should be much less time and probably less money than dealing with an unknown junkyard engine.

Vehicles
      05-01-2012 12:13 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by jbyronr View Post
      Instead of a new engine, pull the cylinder head off and look at the cylinder walls. If they're ok - and they probably will be, replace only the head and timing belt system. Do NOT hone the cylinders - will cause more problems than its worth. Just clean off the tops of the pistons. Should be much less time and probably less money than dealing with an unknown junkyard engine.
      Here we go again with the magical cylinder wall coatings

I do agree to check for the extent of the damage before you just assume.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      05-01-2012 08:30 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by jbyronr View Post

Ok, so are you saying we should buy a new head from VW? That's $1850 (with my employee discount) when we can get an engine with about 25k for $2500... seeing as how there's 140k on the bottom end already...

Here we go again with the magical cylinder wall coatings

I do agree to check for the extent of the damage before you just assume.
      Once we get it to his house, we are going to tear apart the engine to see what can be used/sold and go from there...
      Will have pics up when we get the car back to his place. Hopefully by this weekend.