Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Can I clean up the cut-off?

Vehicles
      91 GTI ABA-T, 97 GTI VR, 06 MkIV Golf, 13 DE GTI, 13 Touareg TDI Executive Edition
      04-18-2012 05:37 PM #1
      Have a couple mk3s, both with ecodes. One with HIDs and the other regular halogens. The HID car has the obviously annoying glare shooting everywhere, and I was wondering if there's anything I can do (to the flutes or anything else) to clean up the cutoff pattern up top without retrofitting different stuff in.

Thanks in advance!
      -Apple
      Articulated Speed Solutions FTW
      Quote Originally Posted by slcturbo View Post
      I dont care what you or anyone else "thinks" they have done. We're all just racing for fun on here whether you run 9's or 17's.

2. 04-19-2012 05:02 PM #2
      Are you saying that you have an HID "kit" in a halogen headlight?

04-20-2012 05:00 PM #3
      Reflector lenses don't really have a "cut off" per say - it's just how they are aimed.. it's a focal point in the reflector that creates a hot spot for the direction of the beam pattern.

The only way to "improve" this is by removing HID's from said reflectors and use proper Halogen bulbs.

The only way you are going to get a clean cut off is a retrofit, which can be a PITA... but honestly well worth it in the end if done properly. Check out www.theretrofitsource.com or call them they're helpful and can walk you though some things.

Not hating on the HID in reflector situation; it's just that the reflector is not really made (on that car at least) for HID bulbs. Some newer cars (infiniti, Lexus, Toyota, Honda) have glare shields and come with HID equipped headlights to focus the pattern better, but they're made for them (OEM).

4. 04-21-2012 08:35 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by xJOKERx View Post
      Reflector lenses don't really have a "cut off" per say - it's just how they are aimed.
      Sure they do. It doesn't have anything to do with how they are aimed. Low beams (and fog lights) have a cutoff to reduce the light above a certain level. Aiming just determines what the level is.

04-22-2012 02:06 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by dennisgli View Post
      Sure they do. It doesn't have anything to do with how they are aimed. Low beams (and fog lights) have a cutoff to reduce the light above a certain level. Aiming just determines what the level is.
      Still it's a focal point... hence the reason why i said it's "per say" same thing you said just a different way of wording it...

it's why projectors have "cut off shields" and reflectors have a bowl only... again

6. 04-22-2012 08:36 AM #6
      The focal point in both reflector and projector headlamps are inside the headlamp - you can't see it.

Vehicles
      91 GTI ABA-T, 97 GTI VR, 06 MkIV Golf, 13 DE GTI, 13 Touareg TDI Executive Edition
      05-03-2012 04:46 PM #7
      So I've read a huge article on why NOT to use hid kits.....blah blah blah

I have a 55w DDM kit in one of my cars right now (hi/low kit that uses the relay to control where the bulb sits in the tray to expose more light).....There is a pretty good cutoff as it sits right now, but I'm thinking that the flutes on these headlights are what is the issue now. The DDM hi/low kit comes with a shield to concentrate the beam and only expose it through a certain space (much like the cutoff shield on any hid projector). My assumption is that if I were to sand these lenses down to remove the flutes or just buy FK clear lenses (separately) I can resolve more of this issue.

Has anyone ever had this done?
      -Apple
      Articulated Speed Solutions FTW
      Quote Originally Posted by slcturbo View Post
      I dont care what you or anyone else "thinks" they have done. We're all just racing for fun on here whether you run 9's or 17's.

05-04-2012 07:42 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by dennisgli View Post
      The focal point in both reflector and projector headlamps are inside the headlamp - you can't see it.
      and how else do you "aim" your headlights without the auto function? by placing the focal point onto a wall... wow... every thread you go out of your way to just be rude to people... doesn't make sense..

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 4Mo 3.6L Wagon, 98 VRt, 2010 Routan/Caravan :)
      05-10-2012 07:52 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by xJOKERx View Post
      and how else do you "aim" your headlights without the auto function? by placing the focal point onto a wall... wow... every thread you go out of your way to just be rude to people... doesn't make sense..
      He's not being rude. He's trying to clean up the rampant misinformation that gets posted here about lighting. I'm not saying you post misinformation ...in this case he's clarifying your point as there are plenty of people that will take your comment literally.

He's right, reflector housings have cutoffs...some of them are quite good too, by the way.

To the OP: there isn't much you can do, short of sanding down the fluting and installing hid projectors.