Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anyone modify there spark plugs?

Vehicles
      06 TBSS 73 volksrod 73 standard
      04-18-2012 05:43 PM #1
      Just curious if anyone has done this with our motors yet. After realizing that I had to get colder heat range spark plugs because the oem range isn't cutting it any more, I've been playing with the idea of modifying the ground strap on the new plugs before installing them. Was also considering clocking them .... anyone goes this route yet?

Vehicles
      1k-m-cbta-02q-PTE5858
      04-18-2012 05:56 PM #2
      why would you?

some of the turbo guys run colder plugs, but thats it...

Vehicles
      04-18-2012 07:08 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by thygreyt View Post
      why would you?

some of the turbo guys run colder plugs, but thats it...
      Well was losing mpg per tank and pulled the plugs and read them... they were running too hot, color change was almost at the threads on the ground post. Also I read that ngk recommends that you change heat range if your 100hp over stock, which I'm right around.

As for modifying them (grinding ground post back to halfway point) was curious to see if anyone has tried it yet.
      Last edited by RedRumGTI; 04-18-2012 at 07:15 PM.

4. 04-19-2012 05:59 PM #4
      why dont you just buy a colder plug instead of going through all the trouble of modifying them?
      and are you sure "clocking" your spark plugs will even be necessary for your vehicle, most of the time the only people who would consider it a need are drag cars or other extremely high performance engines.
      Last edited by Mr.Pickles; 04-19-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Vehicles
      04-19-2012 06:48 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickles View Post
      why dont you just buy a colder plug instead of going through all the trouble of modifying them?
      and are you sure "clocking" your spark plugs will even be necessary for your vehicle, most of the time the only people who would consider it a need are drag cars or other extremely high performance engines.
      If you read my post I already purchased colder range plugs. Modifying the plugs would expose more of the electrode to the mixture and clocking them would point it directly at the incoming mixture. Its been shown to improve power, but were only talking a couple hp.

6. 04-19-2012 07:00 PM #6
      Cant you get cooler plugs yet. Is this a racing engine or a street engine. If you think its really gonna make a difference on your engine set up thats cool, post your results so we can see them.

Vehicles
      04-19-2012 07:37 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pickles View Post
      Cant you get cooler plugs yet. Is this a racing engine or a street engine. If you think its really gonna make a difference on your engine set up thats cool, post your results so we can see them.
      Its just a street motor, its not benificial to go any colder. Its not guaranteed that it produce power with these engines, was just curious if anyone had tried it yet.

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      04-20-2012 01:44 AM #8
      currently running colder plugs by a few heat ranges.... BUT i am turbo'd and i actually havent really found any benefit from it. aside from insurance of reduced detonation issues.

anyway it's not needed for you by any means. even C2 say its NOT needed with the turbo

this aint one of those old school carb'd up motors... colder plugs used to work for them. but our car can easily pull timing and adjust fuel trims on its own.
      god i love my car. it may not be fast, but it's crazy fun!

C2 stage 2 TURBO!!! ACHTUNG!!! 2.5liter 5cylinder contents under pressure!!!

9. 04-20-2012 02:13 AM #9
      Indexing can be beneficial on any motor, however it is never more than a couple hp but hey why not. I can't see there being any benefit to colder plugs though.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 06:10 AM #10
      As for needing them, I know I needed them because I understand how to read a spark plug. I've been modiying and building motors for over 12 years now. I was down to 275 miles before the gas light would come on. I had been getting 340miles normally. I'm not really concerned with what a company says I need or doesn't need. Was just posting this to find out if anyone has gone through the process. Its common placed in a lot of motor building not just carbed old school stuff.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Jetta 2.5L 5spd (LSD+ .717 TDI 5th swap)
      04-23-2012 09:20 AM #11
      Is the gap right?
      C2 tune, Peloquin LSD, .717 TDI 5TH gear swap, AWE exhaust, BSH CAI, H&R street sport coilover + 25mm RSB, neuspeed short shifter, 17x8 BBS RGR.

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 12:27 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Anile_eight View Post
      Is the gap right?
      Yup.

Tried modifying the ground strap on the dirt bike and it made a considerable difference. Idk if ill have the patience to do it 5x though. Its pretty time consuming.

Vehicles
      '08 2.5Turbo Rabbit
      04-25-2012 12:48 AM #13
      actually have done indexing on mine and haven't noticed any change, however i do know that at least in my head its perfect!
      god i love my car. it may not be fast, but it's crazy fun!

C2 stage 2 TURBO!!! ACHTUNG!!! 2.5liter 5cylinder contents under pressure!!!