Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 51 to 59 of 59

    Thread: Yes...another Port & Polish, Gasket Matching, Extrude Hone, Header thread lets discuss

    1. Senior Member TBT-Syncro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2001
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      20,394
      Vehicles
      92 VR-T syncro GTI, 2011 husaberg FS570, 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
      04-28-2012 11:18 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by loosefalcon View Post




      No joke. Seeing the gasket on the manifold, there is a TON of excess material there. I would imagine that it does more than a little bit to disrupt flow. I doubt you'll feel much (if anything) on the butt dyno, but if it sounds better, it was absolutely worth the time and effort.
      take a foot long straw. now blow through it. now make one end of it bigger. notice you cant blow anything more through it. same thing. the port is in the 93-95% efficiency in this area, but closer to 50% around the valve. It doesnt matter how much material you remove in the port, its not fixing the problem (and may actually be making it worse by dropping velocity).


    2. Senior Member TBT-Syncro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2001
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      20,394
      Vehicles
      92 VR-T syncro GTI, 2011 husaberg FS570, 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
      04-28-2012 11:20 PM #52
      [QUOTE=Cspence;77141485]After seeing things firsthand (Gaskets and manifolds) and how much material I removed , I think everyone is crazy not to do this....seriously, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the stock exhaust manifold runners inhibit flow. Will it yield major gains, no, but I would bet my car that it makes more power than it did before and it will sound significantly better. I’d say it’s well worth the cost (

    3. Member Cspence's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2008
      Location
      Meriden, CT
      Posts
      3,276
      Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '05 E320 CDI / '87 GTI VRT
      04-28-2012 11:35 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by TBT-Syncro View Post
      your two statements make absolutely no sense together. If they are inhibiting flow, then why is there no additional power..... thats right, because they ARENT.

      p.s. its likely that power is decreased from opening the throat of the port.

      You sir make no sense


      in·hib·it
         [in-hib-it]
      verb (used with object)
      1. to restrain, hinder, arrest, or check (an action, impulse, etc.).

      I said they would not yield MAJOR gains, say like 30 hp. I bet one could see 3-5 hp from doing this....noticable, probably not, but thats not why I'm doing it. So my statements do make sense. Will the exhaust be less turbulent resulting in a smoother less raspy sound, more than likely. I dont know how you can look at those pictures and tell me that there is no point This all said, your entitled to your own opinion as am I


      PS- Your straw theory would hold true for porting a head as well right...
      Last edited by Cspence; 04-28-2012 at 11:41 PM.

    4. Senior Member TBT-Syncro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2001
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      20,394
      Vehicles
      92 VR-T syncro GTI, 2011 husaberg FS570, 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
      04-28-2012 11:45 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Cspence View Post
      You sir make no sense


      in·hib·it
         [in-hib-it]
      verb (used with object)
      1. to restrain, hinder, arrest, or check (an action, impulse, etc.).

      I said they would not yield MAJOR gains, say like 30 hp. I bet one could see 3-5 hp from doing this....noticable, probably not, but thats not why I'm doing it. So my statements do make sense. Will the exhaust be less turbulent resulting in a smoother less raspy sound, more than likely. I dont know how you can look at those pictures and tell me that there is no point This all said, your entitled to your own opinion as am I


      PS- Your straw theory would hold true for porting a head as well right...

      perhaps you should read some books on gas flow, you may find some enlightenment (hell there are lots of great tech articles on the net). You seem to have made up your mind, so i wont waste your time with facts any more. best of luck.


    5. Member Cspence's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2008
      Location
      Meriden, CT
      Posts
      3,276
      Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '05 E320 CDI / '87 GTI VRT
      04-28-2012 11:51 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by TBT-Syncro View Post
      perhaps you should read some books on gas flow, you may find some enlightenment (hell there are lots of great tech articles on the net). You seem to have made up your mind, so i wont waste your time with facts any more. best of luck.

      Smartest thing I heard you say yet. Please know that I am a humble person and will absolutely admit if I'm wrong....if I put these on and I lose power, it doesn't reduce rasp, I'll be more than happy to admit you were right. Until then, all I can go on is what I believe. Vaya con dios

    6. Member Rmeitz167's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 15th, 2007
      Location
      Nashville
      Posts
      4,171
      Vehicles
      turbo mk5 r32 and touareg
      04-29-2012 07:45 PM #56
      Porting mine as we speak to go along with my ram horn manifold on my turbo build.
      WunderWagens June 10,2012 in Gilbert, PA... 2nd year http://www.wunderwagens-show.com
      UnitedMotorsport r32 cam flash... get one
      My Turbo .:R Build Thread
      WunderWagens Vortex Forum
      WunderWagens Facebook

    7. Member horribleR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2010
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      3,642
      Vehicles
      Miata, Miata
      04-29-2012 07:57 PM #57
      I'm going to wait on Dyno results before even thinking this is a good idea.

    8. 04-29-2012 10:07 PM #58
      I'll say this, hogging out that much material that was blocking the ports before definitely won't HURT anything. The gains will be minimal, but that's how mods started in the first place. A few HP here, a couple MPG there, whatever. It's been shown that everything on the exhaust side is a restrictive mess, so any improvement that can be made is a check in the W column.

    9. Member Cspence's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 23rd, 2008
      Location
      Meriden, CT
      Posts
      3,276
      Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '05 E320 CDI / '87 GTI VRT
      04-29-2012 10:12 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by MatadoR32 View Post
      I'll say this, hogging out that much material that was blocking the ports before definitely won't HURT anything. The gains will be minimal, but that's how mods started in the first place. A few HP here, a couple MPG there, whatever. It's been shown that everything on the exhaust side is a restrictive mess, so any improvement that can be made is a check in the W column.
      My thoughts exactly....

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •