Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yes...another Port & Polish, Gasket Matching, Extrude Hone, Header thread lets discuss

Vehicles
      04 R32
      04-25-2012 05:56 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Cspence View Post
      Eh, I guess its not so much about the cams being regrinds as it is about the reputation Eurospec has....Its never a good sign if you go to google and type in "-------- issues" and several things pop up. I did just that (Eurospec Cam Issues) and several threads on various forums popped up. If I read positive things, I'd probably buy these in a heart beat for the added duration. Maybe a used set of schricks will appear when I'm really in the market
      Just remember its usually ten times harder to find positive information then negative on the interwebz. People tend to not comment about products they are happy with.

Vehicles
      92 VR-T syncro GTI, 2011 husaberg FS570, 2014 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
      04-25-2012 11:08 PM #37
      Port matching is almost 100% a waste of time. That area of the port has the highest flow numbers of the system. The area you actually make power is around the valves.

Vehicles
      '09 CC VR6 / '97 Jetta TDI / '87 GTI VRT
      04-26-2012 07:09 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by TBT-Syncro View Post
      Port matching is almost 100% a waste of time. That area of the port has the highest flow numbers of the system. The area you actually make power is around the valves.

Eh, Based on things that have already been said, I'm really not expecting any notable gains. I mean, its been noted several times that even headers barely offer anything....so I'm more or less just going for rasp reduction now . Plus, this is pretty much a freebie for me. I got a set of manifolds at a reasonable price, I'm doing the work myself, and I'll have to remove my existing manifolds at some point so I can swap in a replacement downpipe (since the flex joint on mine has seen better days)...
      Last edited by Cspence; 04-28-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 10:41 AM #39
      Still waiting for the gaskets to come in so I can mark up the manifold ports. Right now I'm pretty sure about how much I can remove, but I want it perfect so I'll wait. In the meantime I started to play and it was surprisingly easier than I thought, but this is going to take some time

Vehicles
      '04 R, '10 Jetta TDI
      04-28-2012 11:11 AM #40
      Still waiting for the gaskets to come in so I can mark up the manifold ports. Right now I'm pretty sure about how much I can remove, but I want it perfect so I'll wait. In the meantime I started to play and it was surprisingly easier than I thought, but this is going to take some time

I ported a 2 liter head, the downpipe, and the intake manifolds. Exhaust manifold I bought ported and polished for a song and dance. At first it is tedious, once you get the knack it it fun. I kinda want to port my friends audi 90 exhaust manifolds while he's rebuilding his head.
      IATSE Local 52
      AASI lvl 3
      USASA lvl 1

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 03:02 PM #41
      knee deep into things now...I lucked out and the gaskets came today. It's actually a lot easier than I though and is somewhat fun/zen Just on a lunch break now, pictures later!

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 05:12 PM #42
      All set....going to sandblast & glass bead blast them again Monday and then I'm going to coat in VHT clear

Vehicles
      mkiv gti (killed) mkiv .:r32 (unicorn sh!tbox).
      04-28-2012 05:20 PM #43
      very cool.
      @j__cermak <-- (double underscore).

04-28-2012 09:53 PM #45
      -Josh
      06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 Gti 24v VR6 | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick
      01 ZRX1200

Vehicles
      MKIV DBP .:R32
      04-28-2012 09:58 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by BlownR View Post
      I have seen several open slots, usually after tequila. Wait, I think that's different.
      MKIV DBP .:R32 | Photo Gallery
      Projects | Custom Exhaust : It Begins | Solid MKIV Sub-Frame Mounts ||Build Journal| Draxus's GoKart

Vehicles
      MKVI CW 5dr.
      04-28-2012 10:00 PM #47
      Damn. I might have to do this at some point in the near future. Looks great!

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 10:29 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by loosefalcon View Post
      Damn. I might have to do this at some point in the near future. Looks great!

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 10:51 PM #49
      After seeing things firsthand (Gaskets and manifolds) and how much material I removed , I think everyone is crazy not to do this....seriously, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the stock exhaust manifold runners inhibit flow. Will it yield major gains, no, but I would bet my car that it makes more power than it did before and it will sound significantly better. I’d say it’s well worth the cost (<$100) and a few hours of work, but to each their own…

Vehicles
      MKVI CW 5dr.
      04-28-2012 10:58 PM #50

After seeing things firsthand (Gaskets and manifolds) and how much material I removed , I think everyone is crazy not to do this....seriously, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the stock exhaust manifold runners inhibit flow. Will it yield major gains, no, but I would bet my car that it makes more power than it did before and it will sound significantly better. I’d say it’s well worth the cost (<$100) and a few hours of work, but to each their own…
      No joke. Seeing the gasket on the manifold, there is a TON of excess material there. I would imagine that it does more than a little bit to disrupt flow. I doubt you'll feel much (if anything) on the butt dyno, but if it sounds better, it was absolutely worth the time and effort.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 11:18 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by loosefalcon View Post

No joke. Seeing the gasket on the manifold, there is a TON of excess material there. I would imagine that it does more than a little bit to disrupt flow. I doubt you'll feel much (if anything) on the butt dyno, but if it sounds better, it was absolutely worth the time and effort.
      take a foot long straw. now blow through it. now make one end of it bigger. notice you cant blow anything more through it. same thing. the port is in the 93-95% efficiency in this area, but closer to 50% around the valve. It doesnt matter how much material you remove in the port, its not fixing the problem (and may actually be making it worse by dropping velocity).

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 11:20 PM #52
      your two statements make absolutely no sense together. If they are inhibiting flow, then why is there no additional power..... thats right, because they ARENT.

p.s. its likely that power is decreased from opening the throat of the port.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 11:35 PM #53
      your two statements make absolutely no sense together. If they are inhibiting flow, then why is there no additional power..... thats right, because they ARENT.

p.s. its likely that power is decreased from opening the throat of the port.

You sir make no sense

in·hib·it
         [in-hib-it]
      verb (used with object)
      1. to restrain, hinder, arrest, or check (an action, impulse, etc.).

I said they would not yield MAJOR gains, say like 30 hp. I bet one could see 3-5 hp from doing this....noticable, probably not, but thats not why I'm doing it. So my statements do make sense. Will the exhaust be less turbulent resulting in a smoother less raspy sound, more than likely. I dont know how you can look at those pictures and tell me that there is no point This all said, your entitled to your own opinion as am I

PS- Your straw theory would hold true for porting a head as well right...
      Last edited by Cspence; 04-28-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 11:45 PM #54
      You sir make no sense

in·hib·it
         [in-hib-it]
      verb (used with object)
      1. to restrain, hinder, arrest, or check (an action, impulse, etc.).

I said they would not yield MAJOR gains, say like 30 hp. I bet one could see 3-5 hp from doing this....noticable, probably not, but thats not why I'm doing it. So my statements do make sense. Will the exhaust be less turbulent resulting in a smoother less raspy sound, more than likely. I dont know how you can look at those pictures and tell me that there is no point This all said, your entitled to your own opinion as am I

PS- Your straw theory would hold true for porting a head as well right...

perhaps you should read some books on gas flow, you may find some enlightenment (hell there are lots of great tech articles on the net). You seem to have made up your mind, so i wont waste your time with facts any more. best of luck.

Vehicles
      04-28-2012 11:51 PM #55
      perhaps you should read some books on gas flow, you may find some enlightenment (hell there are lots of great tech articles on the net). You seem to have made up your mind, so i wont waste your time with facts any more. best of luck.

Smartest thing I heard you say yet. Please know that I am a humble person and will absolutely admit if I'm wrong....if I put these on and I lose power, it doesn't reduce rasp, I'll be more than happy to admit you were right. Until then, all I can go on is what I believe. Vaya con dios

Vehicles
      tred r33t
      04-29-2012 07:45 PM #56
      Porting mine as we speak to go along with my ram horn manifold on my turbo build.
      WunderWagens June 10,2012 in Gilbert, PA... 2nd year http://www.wunderwagens-show.com
      UnitedMotorsport r32 cam flash... get one
      My Turbo .:R Build Thread
      WunderWagens Vortex Forum
      WunderWagens Facebook

Vehicles
      Miata, Miata
      04-29-2012 07:57 PM #57
      I'm going to wait on Dyno results before even thinking this is a good idea.

22. 04-29-2012 10:07 PM #58
      I'll say this, hogging out that much material that was blocking the ports before definitely won't HURT anything. The gains will be minimal, but that's how mods started in the first place. A few HP here, a couple MPG there, whatever. It's been shown that everything on the exhaust side is a restrictive mess, so any improvement that can be made is a check in the W column.

Vehicles
      04-29-2012 10:12 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by MatadoR32 View Post
      I'll say this, hogging out that much material that was blocking the ports before definitely won't HURT anything. The gains will be minimal, but that's how mods started in the first place. A few HP here, a couple MPG there, whatever. It's been shown that everything on the exhaust side is a restrictive mess, so any improvement that can be made is a check in the W column.
      My thoughts exactly....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12