Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: No compression, won't start.

1. 04-18-2012 10:39 PM #1
      hey everyone,

here's the deal. I replaced the timing belt on a friend of mines 2003 passat 2.8. everything went smoothly, replaced tensioner and water pump as well. car was running perfect for 2 whole months, until a week ago she said it started to idle high (around 2-3000k). still ran fine, just had a abnormally high idle. a couple days later, she tried to start the car and wouldn't budge.

I just now looked at it, cranked it over and sounds like it has no compression. this stumps me because I know that it was perfectly on-time. it is sounding to me that the belt has slipped, but what could cause this?

thanks in advance.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      04-19-2012 12:50 PM #2
      Not sure about yours, but i just had one that had rubber chunks from the back of the balancer cause the timing to jump a notch or two. It bent two intake valves in two different cylinders.
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

3. 04-19-2012 04:46 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      Not sure about yours, but i just had one that had rubber chunks from the back of the balancer cause the timing to jump a notch or two. It bent two intake valves in two different cylinders.
      so in your case, you're saying that the crankshaft pulley caused the timing belt to jump teeth?

4. 04-19-2012 10:06 PM #4
      just pulled hooked the scanner up to it and retrieved 4 codes.

P0118: engine coolant temperature sensor - circuit high input

P0171: system too lean (bank 1)

P0174: system too lean (bank 2)

P0507: idle control system - rpm higher than expected

I'm stumped and in desperate need for help here.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      04-20-2012 01:07 PM #5
      Did you loosen the bolt that holds the cam gear ? if so, it is possible that the cam gear has moved. It is not keyed.

And yes, my high mileage V6 jumped timing due to a rubber chunk from the pulley at the crank.
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

6. 04-20-2012 03:43 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      Did you loosen the bolt that holds the cam gear ? if so, it is possible that the cam gear has moved. It is not keyed.

And yes, my high mileage V6 jumped timing due to a rubber chunk from the pulley at the crank.
      if its not keyed, then how would you know it's aligned with the cam? I'm going to take it all apart and check it out.

7. 04-20-2012 10:02 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by taylorgang. View Post
      if its not keyed, then how would you know it's aligned with the cam? I'm going to take it all apart and check it out.
      There are no keyways in the camshaft sprockets that is why the special timing bar is really needed to properly set the timing belt tension and alignment. Yes, I know the belt can be changed without the bar and without the cam sprockets loose on the exhaust camshafts but the belt tension and alignment will not be 100%.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      04-21-2012 04:48 PM #8
      check for fuel when cranking. Fuel pumps do go bad, and cause no start and faster cranking.
      compression test will tell if it has anything timing belt related broken
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

9. 04-24-2012 10:30 PM #9
      so I got it all taken apart and it all looks to be in-time.

^ this is a picture that I just took, after all the problems.

v this is a picture that I took when I first did the t-belt 2 months ago. cams and sprockets look to be in the same exact place.

10. 04-24-2012 10:36 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Slimjimmn View Post
      check for fuel when cranking. Fuel pumps do go bad, and cause no start and faster cranking.
      compression test will tell if it has anything timing belt related broken
      fuel pump is working but have yet to perform a compression test.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      04-25-2012 11:24 PM #11
      fuel pump is working but have yet to perform a compression test.
      dude, whats the title of this thread....
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

12. 04-30-2012 11:50 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Slimjimmn View Post
      dude, whats the title of this thread....
      did you not read the description? I said it sounds like it has no compression. never said I did a test.

anyways, yesterday I poured oil in the cylinders, cranked right up. something caused the rings to wash out. anyone ever have this happen?

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      04-30-2012 09:56 PM #13
      its common on V6 passats. Lots of cold start/turn off and it will flood it out.
      I usually just hold my foot to the floor and crank for 20sec and it usually starts.
      Sometimes in colder climates, you have to pull the plugs, crank it over to blow the fuel out and clean the plugs off, and then it will start.

Vehicles
      metropass
      05-26-2012 03:39 AM #14
      just pulled hooked the scanner up to it and retrieved 4 codes.

P0118: engine coolant temperature sensor - circuit high input

P0171: system too lean (bank 1)

P0174: system too lean (bank 2)

P0507: idle control system - rpm higher than expected

I'm stumped and in desperate need for help here.
      Your coolant temperature sensor has failed. Check that it is getting 5V and replace it. It's a $20 part, and you can replace it in less than 1/2 hour, although it's kind of awkward, especially if you have big hands. There could be other problems, but if the ECU does not know the coolant temperature, it will not know how to set the idle and mixture. Usually, this results in a rich condition, but I'd start there anyway. If you still have the lean codes after that, then you probably have a vacuum leak.