Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 39 of 39

    Thread: Been tuned for 3 weeks.....cars dead

    1. Member SCIROCCO SPEED's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2002
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,852
      Vehicles
      73 Superbeetle, 86 Golf (RIP), 88 Scirocco 16v, 93 Corrado SLC, 07 GTI, 04 Jeep GC 4.0L, Cannondale
      05-01-2012 11:21 AM #26
      i've read thru this, and i gotta agree with that BarryV guy. Oh so the resistor that fried was on the other end of the board from where they did the work.... so what's that mean, it's 3 inches away? Who knows, the guy could have been drinking a pepsi while working on your ECU and the fizz could have shot a small drop and hit the PCB.

      I'm not saying anything bad about the place that did the work, but come on, what are the chances?
      Engineers do it better.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 29th, 2000
      Posts
      694
      Vehicles
      no more CW w/ 4 doors :(
      05-01-2012 01:52 PM #27
      Still find it hard to believe that APR doesnt flash tune 2012's.

      With that said, there are only two places I would have gone for Apr. RS and SCR.

    3. Banned BarryV's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 23rd, 2001
      Location
      Frederick, MD
      Posts
      3,850
      Vehicles
      1992 12V 1992 16V 2012 TDI
      05-01-2012 02:11 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by SCIROCCO SPEED View Post
      i've read thru this, and i gotta agree with that BarryV guy. Oh so the resistor that fried was on the other end of the board from where they did the work.... so what's that mean, it's 3 inches away? Who knows, the guy could have been drinking a pepsi while working on your ECU and the fizz could have shot a small drop and hit the PCB.

      I'm not saying anything bad about the place that did the work, but come on, what are the chances?

      Exactly - slim to none.

      You mean to tell me that the flash tune was not responsible for the damage, and neither was the technician that took the ECM out of the case?

      So the board fried itself coincidentally 3 weeks after Avalon had the ECM apart? Thats a pretty wild coincidence.

      OP - I'd be calling APR. If you make enough noise, Avalon will step up and fix your car. A $900 ECM is pale, in comparison to the buisness they stand to lose if APR threatens to pull their license.

    4. Member coneklr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2003
      Location
      CO
      Posts
      910
      Vehicles
      2013 ST2, 2011 Touareg TDI
      05-01-2012 10:21 PM #29
      If I remember correctly he has contacted APR. I know if it were me, I would be fighting long and hard before I shell out the money for the new ECM. I dont know anything about Avalon so not bashing but they were the last ones touching the ECM so its unfortunate timing for them but kind of a cost of doing that kind of work IMO. I dunno man

    5. Member OTAMYWY's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2001
      Location
      COLORADO
      Posts
      378
      Vehicles
      2013 Golf R, 2013 Audi Allroad, 2013 Ram 2500 Megacab Diesel
      05-01-2012 11:14 PM #30
      The OP and Avalon should be fighting this battle with APR. It doesn't sound like Avalon is helping him one bit, but they were happy to collect his money. If i had to pay for a new ECU, it sure as hell would not go into the pockets of Avalon even if they are saving me a portion of it. As far as I am concerned, the last person to touch it takes responsibility. Take the same stand as the dealer would.

    6. Member StylinVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 21st, 2008
      Location
      Aurora
      Posts
      622
      Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI
      05-02-2012 10:01 PM #31
      Im in contact with APR right now about how everything is getting handled as I am not pleased by anything right now. Avalon on the other hand installed the "new" ECM and the car doesnt start and Emich VW cant program it. So the new ECM is also dead. Looks like more waiting for me.

      On the bright side of things, the car ive been driving daily is a mk3 VRT.... pretty fun, besides gas mileage LoL
      2012 CW GTI:REVO Stage 2 w/ full bolt ons

    7. Member SCIROCCO SPEED's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2002
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      2,852
      Vehicles
      73 Superbeetle, 86 Golf (RIP), 88 Scirocco 16v, 93 Corrado SLC, 07 GTI, 04 Jeep GC 4.0L, Cannondale
      05-03-2012 02:36 AM #32
      new ECM and car won't start? I bet Avalon is shiitting their pants.

      Engineers do it better.

    8. Member Rusty Shackelford's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      1,328
      05-03-2012 10:33 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by SCIROCCO SPEED View Post
      new ECM and car won't start? I bet Avalon is shiitting their pants.

      The car not starting with an ECM verified by APR is probably a good diagnostic tip for them... Rather than a pant ****ting thing.

    9. Former Advertiser
      Join Date
      Dec 20th, 2011
      Location
      Denver
      Posts
      12
      Vehicles
      Present: 08 Mercedes C300 Past: MKV R32 B5 Audi A4 B6 Audi A4
      05-03-2012 11:44 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by StylinVR6 View Post
      Im in contact with APR right now about how everything is getting handled as I am not pleased by anything right now. Avalon on the other hand installed the "new" ECM and the car doesnt start and Emich VW cant program it. So the new ECM is also dead. Looks like more waiting for me.

      On the bright side of things, the car ive been driving daily is a mk3 VRT.... pretty fun, besides gas mileage LoL
      it does not appear to be dead. a little luck may shine on you today.

    10. Member StylinVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 21st, 2008
      Location
      Aurora
      Posts
      622
      Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI
      05-03-2012 12:02 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Kellin @ Emich VW View Post
      it does not appear to be dead. a little luck may shine on you today.
      Well that sounds good, im in need of some luck.
      2012 CW GTI:REVO Stage 2 w/ full bolt ons

    11. Member MikeyDÜB's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2010
      Location
      Erie, CO
      Posts
      166
      Vehicles
      2005 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T GLS
      05-04-2012 02:56 PM #36
      This is the second mk6 Gti I've heard about where the PCM takes a **** after receiving and APR tune. We had one here at Gebhardt a few months back. Idk about that APR business. I'm personally gonna go with united motorsports' tune on my passat. Seeing as how they have one of the top programmers in the nation.

    12. Member StylinVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 21st, 2008
      Location
      Aurora
      Posts
      622
      Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI
      05-04-2012 09:17 PM #37
      Final update: I got the car back and im not paying a dime. Avalon is giving me a refund on the tune and replaced the ECM and did all the labor at no charge. As of right now the car is going back to stock and will stay that way for awhile.

      As to what caused the failure is still unknown to me but to be honest, I dont care. It got handled professionally and it didn't cost me anything but a little bit of time.
      2012 CW GTI:REVO Stage 2 w/ full bolt ons

    13. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 3rd, 2011
      Location
      Aurora
      Posts
      21
      Vehicles
      2011/VW/GTI
      05-06-2012 12:04 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by StylinVR6 View Post
      Final update: I got the car back and im not paying a dime. Avalon is giving me a refund on the tune and replaced the ECM and did all the labor at no charge. As of right now the car is going back to stock and will stay that way for awhile.

      As to what caused the failure is still unknown to me but to be honest, I dont care. It got handled professionally and it didn't cost me anything but a little bit of time.
      Glad to hear you got the car back. I hated the fact I was without mine for 4 months. Saw you cruising down Ventura about 2 hrs ago as I was walking my pup.

    14. Member jackyltardvaark's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 30th, 2005
      Location
      Lakehood, CO
      Posts
      5,041
      Vehicles
      77,87,89,93,01,01,04
      05-07-2012 10:20 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeyDÜB View Post
      This is the second mk6 Gti I've heard about where the PCM takes a **** after receiving and APR tune. We had one here at Gebhardt a few months back. Idk about that APR business. I'm personally gonna go with united motorsports' tune on my passat. Seeing as how they have one of the top programmers in the nation.
      I dont think its an APR issue. We have multiple MK6 with other chip companies with dead ecu's now.

      Its a risk you take when the ecu has to be opened up to have pins jumped to access flashing. If anything we can blame stupid VAG for putting all these protections on the ecu's to not allow flashing

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •