Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got tuned APR 21 days later, no start

Vehicles
      2002 Porsche 911 Turbo
      05-12-2012 01:38 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by StopSweatinMe View Post
      (2) APR 2012 cars taking a dump
      to APR by making things right

Now, I hope we can all assume this is just an abberation that has been handled well by a reputable company.

Edit: this is assuming Avalon didn't eat the $$, and APR did. based on the above posts,
      Make that 3 2012's, just happened to mine last night. Same EXACT issue and faults showing up on my dash. I got my car flashed at NGP in Lorton, but had my car towed to the dealer. I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do as it seems this is probably going to be a denied warranty claim...

Vehicles
      '12 GTI Autobahn,'04 Ram 4x4,'08 Harley Nightrod Special,'06 Yamaha Apex,'12 Arctic cat 1100 TURBO
      05-12-2012 01:52 PM #72
      Have we seen this on earlier model years with APR tunes? Or is this just starting with 2012s?

'12 GTI Autobahn 6SPD MT
      Red Footwell lights | Rear View Camera | CIM Boost Gauge | VCDS Tweaks | EuroCupholder | SeatDrawers | Chrome Glovebox latch | CandyWhite Spoiler | 'R' LED Tails | Euro HL Switch | 35%-20%Tint | Hartmann HROC 19x8.5 ET47 | Conti DW 225/35-19 | H&R Super Sports
      My Mod-DIY-Build thread! | Pics!

Vehicles
      2011 mustang 5.0.2014 brown/brown TDI t-reg ..Turbo rail
      05-12-2012 02:07 PM #73
      Unless vwoa lets it sneak by flashing you ecu will void the warranty. They can see the flash regardless of what anyone says. Its the risk you take. Make sure the company that actually flashes your car is trustworthy and will stand behind their work. Ask them to put it in writing. Ive been lucky with my problem in that my sai and evap dont work.( car still runs) . I haven't had the time or extra 1600 bucks in "just in case my ecu comes back dead money" to send it to apr. The shop that flashed mine pretty much passed the buck right off the bat. I have heard of a couple people getting their computers fixed in this thread but I am unsure if its apr or the installer doing the work.
      FWIW If i had it to do all over again it seems like GIAC is a tad more helpful. I have an installer who lives up the street from me and has been helping me with my issue and shakes his head at all the problems I have had. And the final nail in the coffin. I have a stg 2 catless with exhaust and his stock exhaust stg 1 intake car pulls on me. . I am personally done ****ing with it and will be trading in at the end of the year on a C6z06. I'm tired of having a slow car. Live and learn i guess.
      autocrats...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTi.Reflex Silver 4dr.6mt.GIAC
      05-12-2012 02:21 PM #74
      I was starting to lean towards APR, as a somewhat local VW dealer does APR tunes, but now I'm leaning back towards GIAC and AWE again.

My main concern is not having to deal with **** like this. I don't really care if one tune produces a little more power than another.

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 02:59 PM #75
      The tune doesn't fry the ecu . It's the opening of it . It's the installer who actually frys the ecu lol. Pic your installer wisely , ask lots of questions .
      Last edited by Pineapplegti !; 05-12-2012 at 03:05 PM.
      autocrats...

6. 05-12-2012 03:38 PM #76
      Would pulling the ECU from your car yourself and sending it to APR eliminate the chances of a lesser-skilled installer from creating these issues that result in a fried/dead ECU? If APR has to crack open the ECU case and "short across pins" to get the ECU into read/write mode, I don't see any benefit (other than APR would have no one else to blame for an ECU going tits up). If an ECU pulled and mailed to them got the same results, would they (Evan/Arin, please feel free to comment) APR, stand behind their work and replace the ECU?

I've read 3~4 of these threads while researching the benefits/costs of a stage 1 tune for my 2011 GTI, but honestly, these threads and the $1000+ bills for a dead ECU to the owner are scaring the **it out of me, and I'm happy I've stayed stock.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      05-12-2012 05:35 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Pineapplegti ! View Post
      The tune doesn't fry the ecu . It's the opening of it . It's the installer who actually frys the ecu lol. Pic your installer wisely , ask lots of questions .
      I would think the same but it just seems weird to me that all 3 cars are 2012's and all the same tuner, and all died the same exact way. Other years have been around much longer if my math is correct , and I haven't seen any posts with them dying like this. I'm certainly hesitant to go APR on my 2012 right now, and interested in seeing how this pans out.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI Autobahn,'04 Ram 4x4,'08 Harley Nightrod Special,'06 Yamaha Apex,'12 Arctic cat 1100 TURBO
      05-12-2012 07:03 PM #78
      I would think the same but it just seems weird to me that all 3 cars are 2012's and all the same tuner, and all died the same exact way. Other years have been around much longer if my math is correct , and I haven't seen any posts with them dying like this. I'm certainly hesitant to go APR on my 2012 right now, and interested in seeing how this pans out.
      these are NOT all the same tuner, however they are all APR on 2012s.

If these cars are all running fine for months then they quit, how can it be a bad install? I wonder if the ECU for 2012 has some sort of difference, and VW has somehow timed it to only last so long if tampered with? I doubt this is the case but geesh this is scaring me.

as of now, im looking at REVO tune much harder, and I think sending it to them direct might be safest since they should have done many and know exactly how.

'12 GTI Autobahn 6SPD MT
      Red Footwell lights | Rear View Camera | CIM Boost Gauge | VCDS Tweaks | EuroCupholder | SeatDrawers | Chrome Glovebox latch | CandyWhite Spoiler | 'R' LED Tails | Euro HL Switch | 35%-20%Tint | Hartmann HROC 19x8.5 ET47 | Conti DW 225/35-19 | H&R Super Sports

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      05-12-2012 08:13 PM #79
      Yup I am definitely afraid of APR after these "coincidences."
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 08:14 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by GlowingDonut View Post
      Would pulling the ECU from your car yourself and sending it to APR eliminate the chances of a lesser-skilled installer from creating these issues that result in a fried/dead ECU? If APR has to crack open the ECU case and "short across pins" to get the ECU into read/write mode, I don't see any benefit (other than APR would have no one else to blame for an ECU going tits up). If an ECU pulled and mailed to them got the same results, would they (Evan/Arin, please feel free to comment) APR, stand behind their work and replace the ECU?

I've read 3~4 of these threads while researching the benefits/costs of a stage 1 tune for my 2011 GTI, but honestly, these threads and the $1000+ bills for a dead ECU to the owner are scaring the **it out of me, and I'm happy I've stayed stock.
      I drove all the way to the APR HQ to get mine flashed.
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI
      05-12-2012 09:06 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by GlowingDonut View Post

Im at the same point. After that whole ordeal, im not sure if I want to get tuned by anyone. If something happens I dont think I would be so lucky to get it replaced for free again.

Maybe APR just cant pick good installers ?
      2012 CW GTI:REVO Stage 2 w/ full bolt ons

Vehicles
      05-12-2012 09:23 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by StylinVR6 View Post
      Im at the same point. After that whole ordeal, im not sure if I want to get tuned by anyone. If something happens I dont think I would be so lucky to get it replaced for free again.

Maybe APR just cant pick good installers ?
      so what was it specifically? was it caused by tune for sure?? I have yet to here about this with other tunes. seems all 2012s.

man i wanted to get my tune very soon and now im worried
      '12 GTI Autobahn 6SPD MT

Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI
      05-12-2012 09:33 PM #83
      All I was told was a resistor burnt out on the other side of the ECM. I dont think the actual tune caused it but more the installer. They showed me a picture, and sure enough it was burnt. It also burnt the circuit bored.

Just for kicks, does anyone think VW could have a "bad batch" of ECMs leave the production line ? And its just coincidence everyone has been tuned, cause honestly a stock GTI is slow as ****. I miss being stage2.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-12-2012 10:12 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by rockerdan View Post

If these cars are all running fine for months then they quit, how can it be a bad install? I wonder if the ECU for 2012 has some sort of difference, and VW has somehow timed it to only last so long if tampered with? I doubt this is the case but geesh this is scaring me.

as of now, im looking at REVO tune much harder, and I think sending it to them direct might be safest since they should have done many and know exactly how.

Yea, I meant same tune as in APR, not same tuner.

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 12:33 AM #85
      All I was told was a resistor burnt out on the other side of the ECM. I dont think the actual tune caused it but more the installer. They showed me a picture, and sure enough it was burnt. It also burnt the circuit bored.

Just for kicks, does anyone think VW could have a "bad batch" of ECMs leave the production line ? And its just coincidence everyone has been tuned, cause honestly a stock GTI is slow as ****. I miss being stage2.
      hmm...but if it was at the time of install/unlocking, i would think the issue would happen right off the bat, not after awhile.

I am wondering more and more if VW knows exactly how these Tuners are "unlocking" the ECU, and VW put something in place that will blow, or let go(like a resistor?) when these tunes are applied, or shortly therafter.

I did read on askavwsalesguy that VW is making it harder and harder to tune, with more and more security.

Still, i have not heard any other tunes had this happen, or older models.

I think I will go with the REVO tune and send it to chris direct.

man this sucks as its expensive and then even after all the cost you end up back to stock!

'12 GTI Autobahn 6SPD MT

Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI
      05-13-2012 01:00 AM #86
      If that were the case, why would only a few have issues. I know there is more than 4-5 people with 2012s that are tuned.

Vehicles
      1 Sedan and 1 Wagon - both Wolfsburg's
      05-13-2012 10:36 AM #87
      Yep... I'm not thinking of tuning with anything/anyone anymore.... Not after 3 threads of ECU's frying themselves...
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 01:55 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by E CODE View Post
      Yep... I'm not thinking of tuning with anything/anyone anymore.... Not after 3 threads of ECU's frying themselves...
      Just make sure your shop will stand behind their work .. It will be fine.
      autocrats...

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 03:11 PM #89
      Just make sure your shop will stand behind their work .. It will be fine.
      are you saying a tuner would pay for a new ECU at the cost of possibly 2 grand?
      '12 GTI Autobahn 6SPD MT

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 03:22 PM #90
      I would make sure its understood that if the ecu fries that you are not going to be left hanging. There are a ton of 2012s running around on a tune. Just do your homework with your shop.
      autocrats...

Vehicles
      2012 CW GTI
      05-13-2012 04:21 PM #91
      APR paid for my new ECM, and Avalon Motorsport paid for all the labor and towing.

Vehicles
      2012/GTI
      05-13-2012 04:28 PM #92
      APR paid for my new ECM, and Avalon Motorsport paid for all the labor and towing.
      Good for you, I hope this never happens but it's good to know that there is a chance to a fair resolution. Glad to hear things worked out.
      It's Better To Burn Out
      Than o Fade Away!

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 04:47 PM #93
      I would make sure its understood that if the ecu fries that you are not going to be left hanging. There are a ton of 2012s running around on a tune. Just do your homework with your shop.
      this is my predicament.....I have APR dealer fairly close, they are VW dealer but when i called he told me he has never done a 2012, and said he had to call APR to see if it could be done at all. This left me with a bad feeling, like this guy knows less then we all do here about these tunes.

So I think I will send mine to either APR or REVO direct, and have them do it in house, I think this should be safest route. And im leaning to revo more since I havent heard of one fried so far, and cost is alittle less and some good reviews. and I like to be different.LOL

'12 GTI Autobahn 6SPD MT

Vehicles
      05-13-2012 04:51 PM #94
      Man that is awesome.....so this must mean it was APRs fault? or are they just covering their installer in this case? OR was it definitely the installers fault?

now the next question is, will they give you another flash or will you have to pay for it again? or will you stay stock and be safe?

'12 GTI Autobahn 6SPD MT

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      05-13-2012 05:30 PM #95
      Glad to hear they took care of you.
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta 1.8t..RIP. 2012 GTI 4dr DSG base
      05-13-2012 11:08 PM #96
      Sounds like a VW quality issue with 2012 ECU's to me.... or maybe an issue with keeping debris away from the ECU.

I had one of, if not THE first 2012 APR k04 tunes on my 2012 GTI (I had to wait a week after the turbo was installed in January while APR finalized the program on their servers). I did this at 300 miles and am now at 4000. No problems at all.

It is not like the APR tune is "overclocking" the ECU or something. I think this is either VW build quality or mishandling by the dudes that flashed the ECU.
      2012 GTI, 4-door, DSG, Deep Black Pearl Metallic, Base Model.
      APR K04 Turbo: APR Downpipe: APR Intake Stg-1: APR FMIC: HPA DSG Stage-2:
      Neuspeed Turbo Outlet & TB Pipes: GoFastBits DV+: R32 Belly Pan: Focal IFVW Speakers
      OEM LED Tinted Tail Lights - no fog: Parts4Euro tinted fender markers: Vag-Com mods

Vehicles
      '10 CW JSW TDI 6MT
      05-14-2012 04:22 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Col-Buddy-Greenleaf View Post
      Sounds like a VW quality issue with 2012 ECU's to me
      I don't see how this could be the case if...

People without aftermarket software aren't having their ECUs die.
      People with other software tunes aren't having their ECUs die.

It appears to be the APR software, the installation process, or both.
      OEM+ Bi-Xenon HIDs | Front & Rear Fogs | Highline CECM | Euroswitch | RNS-510 HW:08 SW:1140 w/ Software VIM | Backup Camera | 9W7 | Dash Cubby | Aspherical Mirrors | GTI Steering Wheel w/ .:R Badge | GTI 6MT Shift Knob | GTI E-Brake Boot | GTI Pedals | GTI 18" Detroits
      Not so OEM+ Koni Coilovers | Gentex Homelink Mirror | Yaesu FTM-350AR

28. Member
      Vehicles
      05-14-2012 11:30 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Code3VW View Post

It appears to be the APR software, the installation process, or both.
      Yea, it sounds like 3 different tuners, but the same tune. So, were all 3 tuners negligent, or is there something with the tune that's burning out the 2012 ECU's.

It is nice to see that APR and the Avalon took care of the first guy, but i wonder how many more ECU's they're gonna eat.....and how many other tuners are going to be as fair as Avalon.

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 12:22 PM #99
      Yea, it sounds like 3 different tuners, but the same tune. So, were all 3 tuners negligent, or is there something with the tune that's burning out the 2012 ECU's.

It is nice to see that APR and the Avalon took care of the first guy, but i wonder how many more ECU's they're gonna eat.....and how many other tuners are going to be as fair as Avalon.
      Im gonna lean toward REVO for this very reason.

It would be interesting to find out if VW somehow put something in place to fry upon APR tuning, since APR seems to be the most popular tune, maybe VW engineers have worked out a way to read when an APR tune is done.

'12 GTI Autobahn 6SPD MT

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 12:42 PM #100
      '12 GTI Autobahn 6SPD MT

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-14-2012 05:12 PM #101

If these cars are all running fine for months then they quit, how can it be a bad install?
      Could just be that the tuners are not resealing the ECU properly and moisture is getting in. The fact that APR is taking care of people with this issue still makes me glad I chose them. I'm not an APR fanboi by any means, but they know they have a solid product and they stand by it.

32. 05-20-2012 02:57 AM #102
      my dealer is an apr vendor. several cars have been tuned long before my mk6 gti got its s1 flash. my car had less than 1k miles on it, when was flashed. im upto 2k miles now. will post if any issues. thus far its running like a dream

05-20-2012 05:49 PM #103

It would be interesting to find out if VW somehow put something in place to fry upon APR tuning, since APR seems to be the most popular tune, maybe VW engineers have worked out a way to read when an APR tune is done.

I really hope you are joking?

Vehicles
      2012 Gti 2-dr SB
      09-21-2012 01:41 PM #104
      Same issue on my 2012.

Blew a ESC code yesterday and car wouldn't start. Stage I APR.

SO EFFING PISSED.

Does anyone who's had this issue have a good contact at APR to speak with? PM me plz.
      AfterFX

APR Tuned

Vehicles
      09-21-2012 01:43 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyImpact View Post
      Same issue on my 2012.

Blew a ESC code yesterday and car wouldn't start. Stage I APR.

SO EFFING PISSED.

Does anyone who's had this issue have a good contact at APR to speak with? PM me plz.
      Arin@APR

Send him a PM.
      Aonarch's Blog!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast