Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7D vs. 5D MarkII

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      04-19-2012 12:58 AM #1
      I searched, found nothing. Even though I'm aware that the debate has been ever lasting and highly debated.

I've come to realize my XSi just isn't cutting it for me. I've been shooting a TON of indoor events where flash is either not allowed or STRONGLY discouraged. I find I'm always shooting wide open at 1600 ISO and still not totally happy with the shots (although I am quite impressed I must say). I'd like at least to be able to shoot at a higher ISO than 1600. Here is the last event I shot for example http://www.flickr.com//photos/valley...35136253/show/ (they were SUPER stoked on the photos BTW, they've never had anyone who knew more than how to push the shutter button shoot any of their events)

I'm strongly considering the 7D over the 5D, mostly because I hear the auto focus is MUCH better and it's way faster, but also because of cost. I'll be shooting a lot of sports events, low light events (auctions, church/mass, events in school gyms etc) and kids/pets.

I guess my big question is will I wish I went with the 5D? Will I be bummed I didn't go FF? Mark III is out of the question.
      Last edited by Basscase; 04-19-2012 at 10:31 AM.
      Don't like something? Report it. We can't be everywhere at all times.

Vehicles
      '83 GTI G60 ::: '11 clubman ::: '13 Mazda3 IGT
      04-19-2012 10:08 AM #2
      I don't think any one will be able to tell you if you would be craving FF if you got the 7D.

I can tell you my own experience.... I thought I would be fine with the crop on the 7D, seeing as I wanted to get into shooting video. Being able to shoot slo-mo was appealing to me.

What I have found, is i'm not shooting as much video as I thought I would and my focus has shifted to saving up for a FF. This has nothing to do with the performance of the 7D or my liking of it. At the time of purchase I was already spending a decent amount of coin, and sometimes I wish I went all the way.

Either way both are great cameras, and IMO the 7D does pretty well in the higher ISO's

If I were you I think my deciding factor would be what I had already purchased for glass (ef/ef-s) and what I saw myself shooting in a year or so.

Best of luck.

Vehicles
      1990 Cozy Coupe
      04-19-2012 11:04 AM #3
      It's really hard to compare the two. They really are two different beasts.

Vehicles
      Currently: '07 Passat Wagon. Past: '73 Bug, '99 Cabrio, and '97 Jazz Blue GTI.
      04-19-2012 01:07 PM #4
      Rent each camera for a weekend. Check out the feel and ergonomics of each. Look at the files. See which one you enjoy shooting with the most. It may take a little bit from you budget, but it will be money well spent as you'll be buying the right camera the first time.
      Editorial Photography: www.dejauregui.com
      Wedding Photography: www.erinheartscourt.com
      Wedding Blog: www.erinheartscourt.com/blog
      Instagram: @dejauregui

5. 04-19-2012 05:11 PM #5
      Depends on what and how much of what you'll be shooting. Primarily sports? 7D hands down. Portraits? 5D. Video? its somewhat of a wash, but the 5D offers things that the 7D doesn't and vice versa. For what it's worth, I have both. And I've been far more satisfied with my 7D. Has never given me any problems. That's not to say I don't recommend the 5D, but if price is a factor, my vote is 7D all the way. Like it was already posted though, rent them and see what you think, or go to a store that has them and play around. Something like form factor and button placement can make a difference to you as well. Check em both out.

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and EVO VII RS
      04-21-2012 11:01 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
      I've been shooting a TON of indoor events where flash is either not allowed or STRONGLY discouraged. I find I'm always shooting wide open at 1600 ISO and still not totally happy with the shots
      This right here says 5D2 and nothing else. Is the AF the best? No, but if you're capable, you can easily make it work...

04-21-2012 11:26 PM #7
      I'm the opposite of amorganw, I own two 5DII's and one 7D and far prefer the 5DII's, not only for full frame, although that's a biggie for me. For indoor (weddings) shooting, I'm shooting at high ISO a lot of the time and the 5DII owns the 7D in that regard. I actually don't find the 7D's focusing system to be much (if any) better than the 5DII's, I think a lot of it is internet bs. In low light, the 7D's focusing system is a bit better, but I can shoot at higher ISO with the 5DII anyway and center focus point (which I use 99% of the time) is spot on.

It just depends what you need it for. Sports? Low-light, indoor stuff? etc.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

Vehicles
      GeeTeeEyee on Pegadicks
      04-21-2012 11:28 PM #8
      mark ii
      | Instagrams: fukitmkv | I didn't build anything; I just bolted stuff on.

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      04-22-2012 01:13 AM #9
      Arrrrghh...you guys aren't making it any easier! I can get a lightly used 5D for the price of a new 7D. Renting them is about $250 a weekend each, so that is a little out of the question. My friend shoots 5D so I could probably play with hers for a bit.

First world problems I guess.

Professionally I'll be shooting mostly indoors. For fun, outdoors mostly. Still leaning towards the 7D but leaning a little harder toward the 5D now, mostly for the low light performance factor. It seems either faster shots/better focus (7D) or better ISO/low light performance (5D).

What's the deal with the glass if I end up with the 5D? Keep in mind I'm shooting XSi currently. I have a 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm Kit lens, 55-200mm f/4.5 and a 70-300mm f4.5.
      Last edited by Basscase; 04-22-2012 at 01:21 AM.

04-22-2012 01:22 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post

What's the deal with the glass if I end up with the 5D?

Two things:

1- Full frame means your 50mm will be 50mm, there is no crop factor like on the 7D (you can google "camera crop factor" to see what that is.

2- You cannot use EF-S lenses on the 5D, since it is a full frame camera, it effectively only takes EF mount lenses. IMO, that's not a bad thing, there are only a couple EF-S lenses I like.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      04-22-2012 02:09 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by sonicGLI View Post
      Two things:

1- Full frame means your 50mm will be 50mm, there is no crop factor like on the 7D (you can google "camera crop factor" to see what that is.

2- You cannot use EF-S lenses on the 5D, since it is a full frame camera, it effectively only takes EF mount lenses. IMO, that's not a bad thing, there are only a couple EF-S lenses I like.
      Ah! Well, the only EF-S Lens I have is the kit lens...which...fvcking sucks anyway, and would get sold (or given to my mom) along with the XSi.

I need to go to the store and snap a few off with each. Both the 7D and 5D use CF cards though, right? XSi uses SD, which I have 3 8GB cards for. So if want to take them home and inspect each I'll need to invest in a CF. Which I'll need to do anyway.

04-22-2012 02:48 AM #12
      Adapters are very cheap and you loose very little performance. The two on the bottom left are actually 16GB Micro SD cards using SD adapters that I put into CF adapters.... no issues whatsoever with being able to fire off as many shots as I need to.

I'd recommend going the CF route though, once you start using adapters you're adding failure points. Once I get through my 32GB and 16 GB cards (which rarely happens) I'll resort to the microSD converter cards. Normally, I give those to my assistant though

shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

Vehicles
      2000/VW/MK4 Jetta
      04-22-2012 10:53 AM #13
      You said you shoot sports and weddings/indoor (no flash). Those are two specific situations in which neither camera is best suited for both. If you need serious AF performance for fast moving objects in decent to well lit areas, the 7D is amazing. 8FPS! 19AF points! 5 different AF modes. The 7D has other advancements above the MK2 including vid/live view button, jpeg/raw button, mcn button, etc. The MK2 isn't terrible but the 7D reigns in this category. I've heard there are focusing issues with the MK2 in low light so you should read up on that.

The MK2 is a beast. Low light performance can't be touched by the 7D...with a 10' pole. That's not to say that the 7D is not capable just definitely not as good (analogous to the performance differences in AF). This affects both still and video so keep that in mind. Full frame offers a very different feel to the photos especially with the much higher dynamic range of the MK2.

Mounts: EF vs EF-S. The crop body will give you extra length if you need it. If you have a ton of EF-S lenses you will need to unload them if you choose the MK2.

I have a 7D and my bud has a MK2. I would actually love to have both. You should definitely evaluate what your greatest needs are and buy the body that fits it the most, especially if that's what pays (i.e. weddings).

Vehicles
      1986 Jetta GLI
      04-23-2012 01:58 AM #14
      I had a 7D and sold it a few weeks ago to buy a 5D Mark II. I have to say that I personally like the 5D2 a lot better.

I was worried about downgrading from the 7D's more advanced autofocus system, but it hasn't affected me negatively. I think the simpler AF is fine. I did install a different focusing screen (Canon Eg-S Super Precision Matte) in it for when I choose to manual focus, but they don't recommend using that with any lenses slower than f/2.8.

The major benefits of the 5D2 for me are the shallower DOF and low light/noise performance. Being able to change the focusing screen was nice too, since I do manually focus quite often.

Another factor to consider is how the full frame sensor will affect your focal lengths. You're used to your lenses on a crop sensor. Your 50mm 1.8 on the XTi acts like an 80mm lens would on a 5D. If you frequently rely on the 300mm end of your 70-300mm, it's not going to seem nearly as long and you'll have to change your habits, get an extender, or get a longer lens. 135mm is my longest lens, which was ok for me on the 7D, but now I feel like I need to get something a bit longer to compensate for the change.

15. Banned JacksSenseOfRejection's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1986 Volvo 240
      04-24-2012 12:07 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by wheeltowheel View Post
      How can you tell from your cellphone pics which Canon DSLR is better? I'm dying to know.

Vehicles
      04 Passat Wagon
      04-24-2012 11:18 PM #16
      you definitely need to evaluate what you use the body for most.

Ive used both bodies and own a 60d (the redheaded stepchild of Canon although its an absolutely wonderful camera)

judging by what you said in your first post it seems that you shoot mostly still or slow moving objects and low light stuff.
      the 5d2 will be better for this.

if you shot faster moving things or usually had more light the 7d would be my choice.
      good luck.

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      04-25-2012 12:13 AM #17
      I'm now leaning even further toward the 5D (it'll have to be used though). I use center point focus, then recompose 99.9% of the time anyway. And yes the majority of my "challenging" shoots are low light as opposed to fast moving subjects.

Choices choices! I will play around with both before making the final decision though.

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 08:07 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by alspdx View Post
      Your 50mm 1.8 on the XTi acts like an 80mm lens would on a 5D.
      You have this wrong, buddy. 50mm on crop body is like a 32mm lens on FF... 50mm on FF is like 80mm on crop body...

19. 04-25-2012 09:43 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      You have this wrong, buddy. 50mm on crop body is like a 32mm lens on FF... 50mm on FF is like 80mm on crop body...
      Wat?

50mm is 50mm on any Full Frame camera. The crop factor of a smaller sensor camera (1.5 or 1.6 Nikon or Canon respectively) will create a field of view of 75mm (1.5 crop) or 80mm (1.6) when mounted to a 50mm lens.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This has to be my jam right now. If I had a few more subcontractors intothis type of **** the old lady would be done by now. Give me the kayak you know somebody is being a poseureur about.
      Oh My Tumblr: DGDCphotography.tumblr.com

04-25-2012 10:02 AM #20
      You have this wrong, buddy. 50mm on crop body is like a 32mm lens on FF...
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 03:33 PM #21
      To help clear things up:

A normal lens on a crop body will be ~30mm.

A normal lens on a FF is 50mm.

A good mild telephoto/portrait lens on a crop body is 50mm.

The equivalent good mild telephoto/portrait lens on a FF would be a 75mm (which isn't made much so we'll round up to the 85mm).

Vehicles
      04-25-2012 05:17 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by peoples_car View Post
      Wat?

50mm is 50mm on any Full Frame camera. The crop factor of a smaller sensor camera (1.5 or 1.6 Nikon or Canon respectively) will create a field of view of 75mm (1.5 crop) or 80mm (1.6) when mounted to a 50mm lens.

I didn't say anything to contradict that.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicGLI View Post

?Que?

04-25-2012 06:25 PM #23
      ?Que?
      The "crop factor" arguments always get entertaining I actually meant to post
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

Vehicles
      1986 Jetta GLI
      04-26-2012 03:44 AM #24

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      04-28-2012 08:43 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by wheeltowheel View Post
      This

This right here says 5D2 and nothing else. Is the AF the best? No, but if you're capable, you can easily make it work...
      And this. If you plan on shooting mostly indoors w/ available light, I would go w/ the 5DII and it's better high-ISO capabilities over the 7D

Uh, not this. You've got it backwards.

OP, If you're going to shoot field sports, a 7D will give you better results. Not only is the AF system better, but you've got 8.5 fps if you need it. That, and the APS-C sensor will give you some extra reach w/ your lenses. If you're going to shoot indoors w/ available light, the 5DII will give you better results due to the high-ISO capabilities. And you get the benefits of a FF sensor for IQ.

Prices on 5DII bodies are coming down. It was just re-added to the CLP list, which makes it ~$1400 + tax (if you have a broken Canon camera to send in). A 7D is available through the same program for $1087 + tax. I'd love to get a 5DIII, as it appears that it combines the best of a 7D w/ that of a 5DII. Sadly, I don't have that kind of $$$$ available. Not to mention that you can get a used / refurb'd 5DII + 7D for < a new 5DIII.

And I'm honestly surprised that you couldn't find anything on 7D vs 5DII. There are plenty of threads on it on POTN.
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      2 dudes on a bike is too gay for even me

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      04-30-2012 10:44 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by JacksSenseOfRejection View Post
      How can you tell from your cellphone pics which Canon DSLR is better? I'm dying to know.

annnnnd..... you're banned. Trolled a little too much.

______

i am thinking of moving from my 7D to a 5D also
      BPCDubs»- Now with improved cloaking capability!
      "...committed to the rhythm like a metronome"

27. Banned
      Vehicles
      e36 m3, 95 z28
      05-01-2012 02:49 PM #27
      I love my 5D II, but since most of my photography is sports it rarely goes with me. My 7D is pretty much a video camera, or a companion to my 1D MKIIn when I'm out shooting sports stuff.

Vehicles
      '83 GTI G60 ::: '11 clubman ::: '13 Mazda3 IGT
      05-01-2012 03:19 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by azul View Post
      To help clear things up:

A normal lens on a FF is 50mm.

A good mild telephoto/portrait lens on a crop body is 50mm.

The equivalent good mild telephoto/portrait lens on a FF would be a 75mm (which isn't made much so we'll round up to the 85mm).

This still does not make sense. What is normal?
      Im assuming you are talking about a 50mm EF lens.

A 50mm EF lens on a crop body is not 30mm, it goes the other way and would be more like 80mm

Its not really changing your telephoto distance, you just lose the edges of the available view from the EF lens on a crop body.

Vehicles
      1990 Cozy Coupe
      05-01-2012 04:05 PM #29
      delete
      Last edited by wheeltowheel; 05-01-2012 at 09:55 PM.

05-01-2012 04:10 PM #30
      I believe he was responding to azul:

In this sentence, what is a "normal lens"
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

Vehicles
      1990 Cozy Coupe
      05-01-2012 09:56 PM #31
      Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out, sonic

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      05-03-2012 10:48 AM #32
      A little late to the party here. How often are you really going to use the slow motion feature of the 7D?

I shot weddings and sports for years with two cameras, a 1DmkII and later a 1DmkIII. I’d say more often than not I wish that I had a FF sensor for portraits and some of the reception type stuff whereas I didn't mind the 1.4x crop for most other things. I shot for a newspaper back in the early 00s using a 10D and later a 20D and then my 1DmkI and 1DmkII when I was doing freelance stuff. The 1.6x crop of the sensors in the 10/20D was a real hindrance for certain assignments and really only offered an advantage when shooting sports an coupled with a 70-200 F2.8L and a 1.4x TC or the 300 F2.8L the newspaper had. I never had any issues shooting the 1D mkIII at high ISO and it had more than enough MP to get the job done.

You can compensate, to a point, with a super wide angle zoom. I had the 17-35 F2.8L for wider stuff. Even with the newer super wide zooms you are going to get some barrel distortion around the edges with a crop sensor. That and the 16- 35 F2.8L can't compare in sharpness to the 24-70F2.8L.

My advice would really be to save money up and either go with a 1DmkIII (I'll be unloading mine soon if you are interested) or buy both the 7D and 5DmkII but not at the same time. If you go with both you'll have your 7D for sports/events and can have the 5D as a backup and the opposite for shooting everything else.

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      09-11-2012 04:04 PM #33
      So my 30th bday is coming up and I'm doing everything in my power to come up with a 5DII.

CL is pretty short on offerings. There are a few (they always range from $1600-$1800 body only, sometimes with a grip). Seattle has a few around $1400 most with pretty high shutter counts though.

Anybody have any ideas on where else to look for good deals? I know about Canon Loyalty program, but that sounds like a hassle to buy (if I can even find) a broken 5D then ship it to Canon.

Keep an eye on Ebay? And why am I seeing kits on Ebay with EF-S lenses? Simply because they are shady sellers?
      Last edited by Basscase; 09-11-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Vehicles
      09-11-2012 04:22 PM #34
      KEH.com is a great place to buy used gear.

Vehicles
      09-11-2012 04:29 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Brickx3 View Post
      This still does not make sense. What is normal?
      Im assuming you are talking about a 50mm EF lens.

A 50mm EF lens on a crop body is not 30mm, it goes the other way and would be more like 80mm

Its not really changing your telephoto distance, you just lose the edges of the available view from the EF lens on a crop body.
      I haven't been around too much to reply to this old post, so please forgive.

NO! Why are you assuming anything? I am talking about a physical 30mm lens is a "normal lens" for a camera like the 7D. Why is this topic so hard?

Okay, I hate that I am beating a dead horse on this one but...

A canon 35mm 1.4 lens mounted on a 7D will be around a "normal lens". That same lens on a 5D is a wide angle lens.

A Canon 50mm 1.4 on the 7D will make a decent portrait lens. That same 50mm is a "normal lens" on the 5D.

People need to realize that the 7D and the 5D are simply two different format cameras that happen to use the same lenses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast