Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Heater or no heater?

1. 04-19-2012 01:10 AM #1
      So i have just purchased a 65 bug. I recently realized that it doesnt have the heater boxes and only has j tubes and no muffler. So my question is is there a reason to not go with the heater? And is it worth buying the heater boes to restore the heater, do the heaters work well enough to for out the cash?

Vehicles
      1965 type 1 chassis car,1971 super beetle,2006 GMC crew cab Duramax,'04 mustang GT
      04-19-2012 07:23 AM #2
      air cooled cars do have ok heat to get some of the chil out of the air...but to say they will defrost your windows and sweat you out on a 20 degree aint gonna happen.

and it's been said that a heater box in the off cabin position can actually make excessive heat under the heads and cause higher engine temps...though i have never temp guaged it...i kinda think it makes sense so lots of guys take em opff and put j tubes on to help keep sthe heads a touch cooler from the heater boxes building up heat.

but tis is an un documented thing.
      www.401restos.com

Quit your complaining and do it right!!!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '86 mk2 D/ '86 mk2 D '98 TDI
      04-19-2012 11:54 AM #3
      maybe try blocking off fan shroud where air goes to exaust (heaters) and use seperate fans for heater boxes, seems to me will keep ex valves cooler (a very good thing!) and you will have more for heat. 2 seperate fans would be best i think.
      Type I's
      the "little" D
      also 962 -0 to 60 in 4 years-
      why??more than 1 wire to shut her off?? a blasphemy!

Vehicles
      70 Type 2 Westy, b3 vr6 wagon, mk3 jetta nitro s/c
      04-19-2012 12:48 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by NCEJetta98 View Post
      So i have just purchased a 65 bug. I recently realized that it doesnt have the heater boxes and only has j tubes and no muffler. So my question is is there a reason to not go with the heater? And is it worth buying the heater boes to restore the heater, do the heaters work well enough to for out the cash?
      The simple answer is no. A heater in an air cooled is an oxymoron. I run with it full on even in 100f temps just to keep my engine cool. In my bus I actually get good heat flow to the front but I still have to wear mittens and a hat and scarf if the outside temp is 50f or lower.

The only way to really get good heat is to get one of the after market electric blower kits to force the air up in to the cabin. I've also had a bad experience of water getting in my 66 through the rear heater inlets below the back seat in heavy down poor. In my beetle what I did was removed the heater boxes like you've done, then wired in a 12v outlet below my seat and plugged in a 12v ceramic heater. It actually kept me warm.

Hope this is worth reading.

5. 04-22-2012 11:45 PM #5
      Thanks so basically its not worth spending the money on especially since im re doing the motor and its currently summer.

6. 04-23-2012 01:03 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by volkspapa View Post
      I run with it full on even in 100f temps just to keep my engine cool.
      That works on a car with a radiator, but your taking air from your heads doing that. Logically think about it.

7. Member
      04-23-2012 02:53 AM #7

Quote Originally Posted by stealth67vw View Post
      That works on a car with a radiator, but your taking air from your heads doing that. Logically think about it.

When you divert air from cooling the engine the engine just gets hotter
      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ce87ef06d5e488

http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/...p?topic=4089.0

http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/...p?topic=4316.0

http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/...p?topic=3998.0

Spend the $$ to properly button up the heater system NCE ,it's not always gonna be summer,moisture in the cabin comes from a not completely sealed system:
      fresh door & window seals,clamped/insulated heater hoses between the boxes & cabin,fresh engine & decklid seals
      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...216822cb62671d

"and it's been said that a heater box in the off cabin position can actually make excessive heat under the heads and cause higher engine temps"
      A cruel rumor Schell ,heater boxes don't generate heat,they only redirect heat generated from the engine into the cabin,if all the tin is there then then there's no difference at all between running boxes or not.

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      04-23-2012 03:12 AM #8
      if your windows are frosting up inside id say....get some stuff to put on the windshield to prevent it from frosting up

or, breathe through a hose which goes outside the window

its mostly about condensation from YOU or moisture inside the car

dry the inside of the car, or breathe outside

the water vapour in your breath will condense on the inside of the windshield

and hmm... although i know nothing about heater inside the car i agree 100% with everyone

but you can get an electric heater unit to install inside your car and run it on a separate 12v battery....or something
      just dont melt the car

Vehicles
      '85 scirocco, '12 thruxton, '01 jetta gls, '01 klr250
      04-23-2012 05:15 PM #9

I don't know what all you guys are talking about...almost every single person who talks about heat in ACVWs says there is no such thing. My heater boxes work awesome and it get damn toasty even when cold outside during winter time (yeah I know, I live in California so what do I know about winter, lol).

Anyway, I have to crack the wing windows or roll down door windows to keep from sweating my nutz off. Am I the only one? It is a Beetle not a Type II, so less cubic feet of space to heat than many of the vehicles on here...
      -Bryan

10. 04-24-2012 01:13 AM #10
      This is my 180+hp 2165cc engine with 1 3/4" Berg heater box exhaust. I went through a ton of effort and money to use heaters on my big engine since it gets to the teens and 20s here in Oregon every winter. I use the factory thermostat and all factory VW tin except the rear breast plate tin since I don't run heat risers. So far with about 400 miles on the engine with temps now in the upper 80s, I can't get the oil temp up to 170F and the head temp stops at 325F no matter how hard I beat on it and I'm running a power pulley, 9.4:1 compression and just a stock doghouse cooler.

Vehicles
      1968 VW Beetle (Baja), 97' Jeep Cherokee Sport, 00' Honda Shadow Aero, 87' Tahiti Jetboat
      04-28-2012 08:23 PM #11
      Wow. Some interesting comments here. I myself am happy with the stock heat system. I, however did go through and replace all hoses, sealed all holes, installed new heat boxes (ceramic coated), new thermostat and installed the defroster blower kit found at many online VW stores. The new heat boxes and blower kit made a world of a difference. I haven't been in real cold weather yet but been out a few times in the 40's and once she warmed up, I was warm. I also have repaired the fresh air system too. This should help with the aforementioned frosting issue on the inside when combined with the defrost. The other very important item to mention is to have ALL engine tins installed, or as much as possible. I'm running a Baja so there's a couple missing as they would be useless with my set up.
      Hope this helps.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta 64 Beetle
      05-05-2012 07:00 PM #12
      Ok, I installed J Tubes, welded my fan shroud ducts shut, and sealed my tin where the hoses went through. What do I use to seal/cover the hoses that go to the cabin?
      1964 VW Beetle
      2003 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T
      2005 Honda XR650L
      2006 Honda CBR 600RR

13. Member
      05-05-2012 07:48 PM #13

Quote Originally Posted by 6603 View Post
      Ok, I installed J Tubes, welded my fan shroud ducts shut, and sealed my tin where the hoses went through. What do I use to seal/cover the hoses that go to the cabin?
      An appropriately sized freeze or expansion plug
      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...D4mtiQK51P3FAg

Vehicles
      03 Jetta 64 Beetle
      05-05-2012 11:21 PM #14
      Thanks buggyman. I have never used freeze plugs. Do I just tap them in?
      1964 VW Beetle
      2003 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T
      2005 Honda XR650L
      2006 Honda CBR 600RR

15. Member
      05-06-2012 12:11 AM #15

Quote Originally Posted by 6603 View Post
      Thanks buggyman. I have never used freeze plugs. Do I just tap them in?
      Dayo 03 ,
      Either have to back 'em up with screws

into the pipes
      leading into the cabin after removing the hoses(#2 in your case) from the body ,or crank the bejeebers outta the expansion plugs backed up with hose clamps in order to not have them pop out when you close the door if you're runnin' good door & window seals .

16. 05-06-2012 08:54 AM #16
      i am running german heater boxes on my single cab, and the heat will cook you out of it. german boxes are the way to go, they have WAY more fins than the crappy aftermarket boxes. if my wife dosen't b!tch it's cold, then it is worth finding good german boxes