Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 101

    Thread: Audi building a production facility in Mexico - spotted on FB, comments not surprising

    1. Senior Member Jman5000's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 1999
      Location
      Columbus Ohio
      Posts
      30,892
      Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      04-19-2012 08:21 AM #1
      http://audiusanews.com/newsrelease.d...ts-drive&mid=1

      Audi to build production plant in Mexico, maintaining its drive for internationalization
      • Supervisory Board welcomes plans for Audi plant in Mexico
      • Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG: “Excellent basis for sustainable growth”
      • General Works Council Chairman Peter Mosch: “Stepping up production capabilities guarantees capacity utilization of main plants”
      • Exact Location to be selected later this year – production to begin in 2016

      The decision has been made: AUDI AG Board of Management and Supervisory Board of AUDI AG approved plans to build a North American plant in Mexico. The exact location for the new plant, which will manufacture an SUV model starting in 2016, will be chosen by AUDI AG later this year.

      “As an established carmaking location, Mexico offers an excellent economic basis for Audi production operations,” declared Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG. Mexico is one of the world’s top ten automotive locations and offers a blend of tradition and experience. The group parent Volkswagen already has an automotive plant in Puebla and an engine plant in Silao. “Good infrastructure, competitive cost structures and existing free trade agreements played a significant role in the choice of Mexico,” emphasized Stadler. “This trailblazing move will help us safeguard our position in the world market. Our German locations, too, stand to benefit from it.”


      When I saw this on Faceyspace, I figured the old chestnut of the Emkay 4 world: "Mexico or Germany" would rear it's mouth-breathing visage. I was correct.

    2. Member VDUBfanatic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2000
      Location
      NoVA, USA
      Posts
      2,155
      Vehicles
      2012 Q5, 2012 A6
      04-19-2012 08:50 AM #2

      Although, Jman, was it not also the battle of the "WVW" GTI's versus the "9VW"'s? I remember that one from my days in the MKIV forum...

      This has the potential to be a brilliant business move, as new tariffs and trade agreements have materialized since the building of the BMW & MB US factories.

      In regards to the labor itself, it's worth noting that the Mexican people do not build subpar cars, car companies build subpar cars. No one sets out to build an inferior product. But the lack of training, inspection, and re-training contributes to the perception as such.

    3. Member JOES1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 8th, 2003
      Location
      Stuttgart, Germany
      Posts
      429
      04-19-2012 09:02 AM #3
      Alrighty then... at least my future 2014 model A3 (hatch or sedan) should still be built in Germany by time I PCS back to the States from Germany.
      "Yes or no?"

      2010 Tiguan ---> Wife's Car (SOLD) replaced with 2014 Jetta GLI Edition 30
      2009 GMC Sierra Crew Cab Z71
      2015 Audi A5 MT (Nardo Grey) ---->ordering December...

    4. Member MatchStick's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2000
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      6,416
      Vehicles
      2013 WRX 2012 Mazda5
      04-19-2012 09:08 AM #4

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2011
      Location
      Louisville, KY
      Posts
      1,078
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      04-19-2012 09:24 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by VDUBfanatic View Post
      In regards to the labor itself, it's worth noting that the Mexican people do not build subpar cars, car companies build subpar cars. No one sets out to build an inferior product. But the lack of training, inspection, and re-training contributes to the perception as such.
      This is all that really needs to be said in this thread. However, I'm sure this will get blown out of proportion anyway.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2009
      Location
      NOVA
      Posts
      2,615
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      04-19-2012 09:39 AM #6
      cheaper audi SUVs? **** yea im down!

    7. Member Old Windy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 1st, 2009
      Posts
      4,662
      Vehicles
      2.15678L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      04-19-2012 09:58 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Lucian1988 View Post
      HIGHER PROFIT audi SUVs? **** yea im down!
      FTFY. Sure hope it does not suffer of the same "high quality controls" of other manufacturers from the area.
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Banging a hooker will make the wasps go away? I'm off to find a bee's nest. BRB.

    8. Member dubjager's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 8th, 2004
      Location
      Atlanta
      Posts
      3,694
      Vehicles
      '91 964, '93 E34, '05 GTI
      04-19-2012 10:05 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VDUBfanatic View Post

      This has the potential to be a brilliant business move, as new tariffs and trade agreements have materialized since the building of the BMW & MB US factories.

      In regards to the labor itself, it's worth noting that the Mexican people do not build subpar cars, car companies build subpar cars. No one sets out to build an inferior product. But the lack of training, inspection, and re-training contributes to the perception as such.
      Amen. Thank you for saying that. Seriously, almost all the BMW's in Mexico are made in Toluca. That said, I haven't noticed any differences in quality or anything of the like between my friends 330i in Mexico and a friends 328i here in the US.

    9. Member zerind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      11,027
      Vehicles
      2013 Wrangler Rubicon 10A
      04-19-2012 10:11 AM #9
      As long as these are fitted somewhere on the car I'm down.

      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      @speedsportlife @zerinSSL
      2013 Bright White Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 10th Anniversary Rubicon
      Gone but still loved: 2010 Brilliant Red Audi S4 [6MT/Sport Diff/B&O/Nav/19s/Milltek Non-Res Exhaust/Downpipes/APR Tuned/Stratmosphere Hyperflow Intake]

    10. Member what's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 24th, 1999
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      12,888
      Vehicles
      1974 MGB (Chrome Bumpers); 2012 VW GTI; 2013 Fiat 500 Pop
      04-19-2012 10:29 AM #10
      NAFTA

      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

      Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

    11. Geriatric Member ByronLLN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2004
      Location
      Annapolis, MD
      Posts
      37,209
      Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      04-19-2012 10:42 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
      NAFTA

      I know, right? The EU got it right. Much better to overpay for the same quality of labor.

      (And I know that's not what you were referring to, but I couldn't resist )
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

    12. Member MrRline's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2010
      Location
      Buckeye, Arizona
      Posts
      5,375
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-19-2012 11:18 AM #12
      I won't be buying a Q5 and I basically live in what I consider the extension of Mexico aka Arizona. My reasoning is not because I have problems with Hispanic people, but because after watching them i've learned that quality control goes out the window compared to speed of work. That's not something I'm will to take a 40,000 dollar risk on.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, BSH Race Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- BSH Race Intake,R8 coilpacks, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap, GIAC Stage 2 coming soon!!

    13. Member SoCalDubber's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 21st, 2004
      Location
      Southern Cali
      Posts
      18,109
      Vehicles
      '13 Fiat 500e, '13 Golf R, '13 Tiguan SEL
      04-19-2012 11:24 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by dj_cronic_metal View Post
      I won't be buying a Q5 and I basically live in what I consider the extension of Mexico aka Arizona. My reasoning is not because I have problems with Hispanic people, but because after watching them i've learned that quality control goes out the window compared to speed of work. That's not something I'm will to take a 40,000 dollar risk on.
      Audi is basically going to send a bunch of parts to Mexicans in a work shed and ask them to finish it as soon as possible... It's how everything is done in Mexico, duh.
      Chasin Design | SoCalStanceShop | Pure Euro
      ---------- Let Me Sell You A VW ----------


      Wuste European Car Festival The West Coast's LARGEST European Car Show!

    14. Member MrRline's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2010
      Location
      Buckeye, Arizona
      Posts
      5,375
      Vehicles
      2010 VW CC R-line, 2012 GLI Autobahn
      04-19-2012 11:32 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDubber View Post
      Audi is basically going to send a bunch of parts to Mexicans in a work shed and ask them to finish it as soon as possible... It's how everything is done in Mexico, duh.
      It's that reason that I won't sending my business to Audi in the form of a Q5.
      2010 CC R-line. 5% tint, Euro Clear Corners,ST Coilovers, Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks, Led interior lights, BSH Race Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Hoen lights, BrakePerformance Rotors, EBC Red Pads
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn- BSH Race Intake,R8 coilpacks, Cree LED DRL, Hoen lights, ST Coilovers,AWE TOP, VMR V710 Wheels, Gloss Black Roof Wrap, GIAC Stage 2 coming soon!!

    15. Member Bakounine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2002
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      1,473
      Vehicles
      '15 Forester XT; '00 Chevy Express; '89 Sierra K2500
      04-19-2012 11:40 AM #15
      FYI for the anti-Mexico folks: the TT is built in Hungary. Yes, COMMIES!! The TT must therefore be considered subpar in terms of quality and craftmanship.

      //Sarcasm

    16. Member eweu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      Silicon Valley, CA
      Posts
      2,386
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT VR6, 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI, 2002 Ford F-250 SuperCrew V10, 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM
      04-19-2012 11:50 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakounine View Post
      FYI for the anti-Mexico folks: the TT is built in Hungary. Yes, COMMIES!! The TT must therefore be considered subpar in terms of quality and craftmanship.

      //Sarcasm
      The only problem with your sarcasm is that there are a fair number of people that do think along those lines.

    17. Member eweu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      Silicon Valley, CA
      Posts
      2,386
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT VR6, 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI, 2002 Ford F-250 SuperCrew V10, 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM
      04-19-2012 11:51 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by VDUBfanatic View Post

      Although, Jman, was it not also the battle of the "WVW" GTI's versus the "9VW"'s? I remember that one from my days in the MKIV forum...
      Yeah, but who doesn't miss the "la cucaracha" door chime found in the MkIII Golf? Maybe it will come back in a Q5!

    18. 04-19-2012 11:52 AM #18
      The quality of the cars won't be an issue. It's the fact that Mexico is a dirty smelly country where crime and murdering runs rampant that's the issue. I don't need body parts in my A4.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

    19. Member mraguilar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 27th, 2004
      Posts
      3,262
      Vehicles
      01 Neon (sold), 07 Caliber MTX, 07 Quest S
      04-19-2012 11:59 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by eweu View Post
      Yeah, but who doesn't miss the "la cucaracha" door chime found in the MkIII Golf? Maybe it will come back in a Q5!
      Really? I would pay top Dollar for one of these chimes installed in my car.

    20. Member pentaxshooter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Charlotte, NC
      Posts
      3,286
      Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      04-19-2012 12:04 PM #20
      Hopefully they will all come with a
      Add me on FB and follow me on Instagram! | #TPG | #FLOSSfilthy | #V2LAB |

      Always looking for cars in the NC/VA area for feature shoots! PM me!

    21. Member Bakounine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 15th, 2002
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      1,473
      Vehicles
      '15 Forester XT; '00 Chevy Express; '89 Sierra K2500
      04-19-2012 12:16 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by eweu View Post
      The only problem with your sarcasm is that there are a fair number of people that do think along those lines.
      Any more so than any of the German made Audis? I don't think so.

    22. Member Uberhare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 30th, 2003
      Location
      Spokane WA
      Posts
      7,529
      04-19-2012 12:28 PM #22
      Are sales that good for Audi? Buy Ducati, build a new manufacturing facility?
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

    23. Member eweu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      Silicon Valley, CA
      Posts
      2,386
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT VR6, 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI, 2002 Ford F-250 SuperCrew V10, 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM
      04-19-2012 12:32 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      The quality of the cars won't be an issue. It's the fact that Mexico is a dirty smelly country where crime and murdering runs rampant that's the issue. I don't need body parts in my A4.
      Right. Given that criteria, I'd much rather get my car from, you know, Detroit.


    24. 04-19-2012 12:55 PM #24
      What is actual labor cost between Mexico and the United States? How much are companies actually saving by building in Mexico as opposed to the United States?


      Or are the issues just really bureaucratic?

    25. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      US 129/ GA SR 60
      Posts
      35,246
      Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      04-19-2012 01:23 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Windy View Post
      FTFY. Sure hope it does not suffer of the same "high quality controls" of other manufacturers from the area.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

    26. Member acuraudi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2008
      Location
      Lexington, KY
      Posts
      562
      Vehicles
      A6, Prius, F150
      04-19-2012 01:25 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      The quality of the cars won't be an issue. It's the fact that Mexico is a dirty smelly country where crime and murdering runs rampant that's the issue. I don't need body parts in my A4.
      Not sure if you've ever been to Detroit or Flint, but..


      Edit: got beaten to it.
      Last edited by acuraudi; 04-19-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Beat me to it
      Apostrophes are important.
      Quote Originally Posted by mm3
      The legos are my girlfriends. Long story .

    27. 04-19-2012 01:29 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      VAG probably decided on Mexico because they have universal health care, and wouldn't have to deal with providing health care like they would in the USA. VAG building a plant in Tennessee is because they want to emulate the success Hyundai has in the USA after they built a plant in Alabama. To appease the over nationalistic Murrikans. Status symbols like Audi's, BMW's, etc. will always have buyers, no matter where they're built.
      As well as no Unions in Mexico?

    28. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      18,115
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q3 2.0T quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      04-19-2012 01:35 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
      What is actual labor cost between Mexico and the United States? How much are companies actually saving by building in Mexico as opposed to the United States?


      Or are the issues just really bureaucratic?
      That's not it. It's simply taxes.

      This plant will re-supply vehicles to the European market. If they were made in the US, they'd be smacked with an extra 10% import tax. Made in Mexico = no extra tax.

      I'm not hip on the idea personally, but whatever.

    29. Member acuraudi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2008
      Location
      Lexington, KY
      Posts
      562
      Vehicles
      A6, Prius, F150
      04-19-2012 01:39 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Crob View Post
      VAG probably decided on Mexico because they have universal health care, and wouldn't have to deal with providing health care like they would in the USA. VAG building a plant in Tennessee is because they want to emulate the success Hyundai has in the USA after they built a plant in Alabama. To appease the over nationalistic Murrikans. Status symbols like Audi's, BMW's, etc. will always have buyers, no matter where they're built.

      Their given reason, whether or not it's the whole truth, is the 10% tariff on US-Built vehicles headed to Europe. Makes sense, if they intend to use Mexico as the world base for one or two models.

      I think really the UAW's lobbying efforts in Chattanooga probably scared Audi right into Mexico. I can't say I blame them, I'd have made the same decision. I sell Audis and live in KY, so I'd have loved to see a Chattanooga plant happen. But I grew up in Detroit and I've worked for Ford, GM, and Chrysler as a contractor, so I know what a burden the UAW can be.
      Apostrophes are important.
      Quote Originally Posted by mm3
      The legos are my girlfriends. Long story .

    30. 04-19-2012 01:39 PM #30
      BMW builds cars in South Carolina... Just sayin.
      What Would Jeremy Do?

    31. Member Spinnaker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2007
      Location
      SFO
      Posts
      6,166
      Vehicles
      05 1.8T; 04VTek800 (sold); 08Speed3; 2009 TL SHAWDy
      04-19-2012 01:53 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by JuanManuelFangio View Post
      BMW builds cars in South Carolina... Just sayin.

    32. Member bzcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      19,141
      04-19-2012 02:30 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      That's not it. It's simply taxes.

      This plant will re-supply vehicles to the European market. If they were made in the US, they'd be smacked with an extra 10% import tax. Made in Mexico = no extra tax.

      I'm not hip on the idea personally, but whatever.
      Also cars made in Mexico can enter Brazil duty free... that's a large emerging market for Audi.

    33. Member MrKevkevL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2009
      Location
      Philadelphia Suburbs
      Posts
      1,779
      Vehicles
      B7 Audi A4 Quattro
      04-19-2012 02:41 PM #33
      Hopefully there will still be an option to buy the German-built version, like how you can choose between the South African and German made BMW 3-series here in the States. If I'm in the market, I'd much rather have a German built car even if that meant paying more.

      Nothing against Mexicans, but "luxury" and "Mexico" are generally on opposite ends of the spectrum.
      Past: 1999.5 GTI, 2009 Jetta, 2009 Rabbit

      Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

    34. 04-19-2012 02:51 PM #34
      Are there enough workers left in Mexico. I thought they were all over hear.

    35. 04-19-2012 03:05 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by MrKevkevL View Post
      Hopefully there will still be an option to buy the German-built version, like how you can choose between the South African and German made BMW 3-series here in the States. If I'm in the market, I'd much rather have a German built car even if that meant paying more.

      Nothing against Mexicans, but "luxury" and "Mexico" are generally on opposite ends of the spectrum.
      and Hungary is better ?

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •