Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCL am 'Ring 2012: Tourist Drive Pics

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-19-2012 08:53 AM #1
      Well... the weekend was awesome. Hopefully you already saw the pics from the VLN Race ( http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...il-14-VLN-Race ). The weather on Saturday was sunny and in the high 40's. The race ran from noon to 4pm and then they began cleaning the track up. The tourist drive started around 6pm. We hung out in the lot and checked the cars. As always there were extremely rare, extremely expensive cars being used for their intended purpose! Saturday night was pretty crowded on the track, unfortunately.

Saturday night we ate at Sabine Schmitz's family's restaurant with atomicalex and her son. When we met her that afternoon she suggested the Argentinian filet served on a hot stone - it was awesome. There are a couple shots from dinner thrown in the mix.

Sunday morning was extremely foggy and quite cold (mid to high 30s)... Fortunately the track was completely dry. I only did one lap Saturday night because it was crowded, so I had three more to go. The track wasn't very crowded so you could really focus on your line and hitting the apexes. It was a blast. This is my third time driving the 'Ring (I now have nine whole laps under my belt) and I've become more and more comfortable each time. I really wish I lived closer, but that's okay - I could see lots of added expenses to the car!

The Car Lounge get-together kind of fell apart. I really only hung out with atomicalex... The rest of the gang came up from various USAF/USA facilities late Sunday morning it seemed, so we didn't hookup unfortunately. Next year we need to plan the meeting point a little better!

The best part of the tourist drive was that we were driving the VLN course which includes the normal 20km Nordschleife coupled with a part of the Grand Prix course! It was awesome tearing down the straight and going around the Castrol-S!

I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Saturday after the race

Our trusty steeds

Morgan +4?

Porsche 928... That I passed!

911 GT2 - quite commonplace

E46 M3 CSL - there were at least two others in the lot

991 911

Opel Speedster - by Lotus

Renault Clio Sport V6 - I've only seen one of these in real life once before - really cool stuff

GTR

Gallardo and Murcielago

The 'Ring

One lap down, three to go! Daily driver is still in one piece!

Dinner at the Schmitz Family's Pistenklause

ErikGTI drinking wine out of the decanter... classy. That's atomicalex to the left...

Früh Kölsch - one of Sabine Schmitz team's sponsors

RIP

More of the restaurant

The next day

Our very own beer truck

458 Italia

911 GT3 RS 4.0

F10 Ring Taxi

atomicalex's MkIII Golf variant

E30 wagon

Me driving down Brünnchen

And up to Planzgarten

993 Turbo and Ring Taxi

1M

GT3

GTR

E30 M3

911 GT2 RS (there was at least one other there... with NORWEGIAN plates!!)

RS3

Rent4Ring Swift that my colleague rented - surprisingly quick and nimble - lots of fun!

My buddy in the Swift... beating a Porsche!

Or not!

Sacred Disorder's badass MINI Clubman S

TT-S

Gallardo vert

Vehicles
      '91 964, '93 E34, '05 GTI
      04-19-2012 09:18 AM #2
      Wow. Thank you so much for the pictures... Really wish I could get out there one of these days when I am in Europe. I have a Renault 4 that could DEFINITELY make the trip

Just a question Nodubjustyet... what kind of suspension do you have on your GTI? And what tires? Perfect sport height in my opinion!

I am also surprised the steak was edible, when my dad has tried to make his Uruguayan barbeque with beef in europe it has come out like shoe sole... For some odd reason...

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-19-2012 09:22 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by dubjager View Post
      Wow. Thank you so much for the pictures... Really wish I could get out there one of these days when I am in Europe. I have a Renault 4 that could DEFINITELY make the trip

Just a question Nodubjustyet... what kind of suspension do you have on your GTI? And what tires? Perfect sport height in my opinion!

I am also surprised the steak was edible, when my dad has tried to make his Uruguayan barbeque with beef in europe it has come out like shoe sole... For some odd reason...
      No problem, glad you like the pics.

It's a 2006 with an Eibach Pro Kit, which I found on Tire Rack of all places. It's actually Eibach springs with Sachs struts/shocks. I'm really happy with it, especially for the price. The tires are BF Goodrich KDW Sports on the OEM 17" ClassiX wheels. I'm quite happy with the combo- it's sporty enough when it needs to be and doesn't rattle my teeth out when driving on cobblestones.

This was the best steak I've had in Europe... The downfall to steak here would be the beef, it's AWFUL - this dish was made using Argentinian beef, a dash of salt/pepper and a super hot stone. There's not much to screw up!

Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      04-19-2012 03:57 PM #4
      Here are some of my pics from the Tourist Drive.

All I have to say about the decanter is that I already had had a few beers and there weren't any wine glasses left at our table. No one else wanted it and I wasn't going to let it go to waste .
      1M

Focus RS

R32. I think this may be someone from TCl.

A 350Z with a ridiculous wing.

This McLaren was being taken off the track shortly before it was opened to the public after the VLN race.

Very heavily modified GT3RS. The interior was pretty much stripped out, with a beefier rollcage, removable steering wheel, carbon fiber doors etc. Why? Because race car.

I feel like this is something someone from TCl would do.

Yes, it went on the track.

This Passat blew by us coming out of a corner when we were riding in a tuned STI, we weren't going slow either.

It's too bad the next time I saw this GTI it was turned around the wrong way with it's front end crumpled...

Not my first choice for a car to bring on the 'Ring but I bet it was comfortable.

Save the Ring as seen on the Hotel am Tiergarten.

964 Carrera RS in the HaT parking lot! Oh, and a Boxster Spyder, nothing special...

Beautiful E34 Alpina bi-Turbo.

Erik
      Last edited by ErikGTI; 04-19-2012 at 04:09 PM.
      Build model cars? Race RC cars? Check out Central Ohio's best hobby shop

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-19-2012 04:11 PM #5
      Thanks for adding those...

That MkII (and the Audi behind it) are from all the way the hell up here - that must have been a long train ride home.

I might have to swing back through Nuerburg on the way to Rallye Germany in Trier.

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC LUX
      04-19-2012 11:57 PM #6
      Thanks for the pics man!! I saw the Swift but never saw your car, the STI, or AtomicAlex. We are definately gonna have to actually set a meeting time/place next time we all go down!!
      Drive that **** like you stole it!!

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-20-2012 03:10 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by JonLott View Post
      Thanks for the pics man!! I saw the Swift but never saw your car, the STI, or AtomicAlex. We are definately gonna have to actually set a meeting time/place next time we all go down!!
      I guess after seeing how disorganized we where this time around I need to make a more conscious effort to organize the meetup. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so crowded... especially when taking the weather into account.

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      04-20-2012 04:21 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet
      ErikGTI drinking wine out of the decanter... classy. That's atomicalex to the left...
      That's all it takes to make Kathy smile and laugh like that?

Anyway, sounds like a lot of fun. I wonder, though, how do you estimate safe curve entrance speeds as a n00b? I bet there are lots of folks on poor chassis that somewhat blindly follow cars with a better set-up (worse, you can't even tell) and get in trouble for that.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-20-2012 05:10 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      That's all it takes to make Kathy smile and laugh like that?
      I don't think she stops...

Anyway, sounds like a lot of fun. I wonder, though, how do you estimate safe curve entrance speeds as a n00b? I bet there are lots of folks on poor chassis that somewhat blindly follow cars with a better set-up (worse, you can't even tell) and get in trouble for that.
      It's all about GT5... I really credit the game with teaching me the racing line and the apexes - past that it's not all that helpful.

What you've brought up really makes things interesting. You really need to know the limits of your vehicle and don't forget to stay to the right so the faster cars can overtake you. Respecting the track and the other cars goes a long way. As a n00b it behooves you to take it slow and steady.

I am quite the novice (I have done 9 laps, which to be fair, is ~110 miles ), but I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of what's coming up next and plan accordingly... I really don't know how to explain it any better.

For anyone that really wants to have a proper experience my best suggestion is this: DON'T go in the Summer time. It is entirely too crowded and you will spend more time checking your 6 making sure you're not in the way than actually driving. Weather permitting, go in March or April - get out there early when there aren't that many cars. You've also got the late Fall, which should be pretty similar.
      Last edited by NoDubJustYet; 04-20-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      04-20-2012 07:46 AM #10
      Here's a vid with the Jag that I posted earlier.

Erik

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 08:40 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I don't think she stops...
      Are you talking about the smiling, now, or the liquid stuff delivered by Schmitz trucks?

It's all about GT5... I really credit the game with teaching me the racing line and the apexes - past that it's not all that helpful.

What you've brought up really makes things interesting. You really need to know the limits of your vehicle and don't forget to stay to the right so the faster cars can overtake you. Respecting the track and the other cars goes a long way. As a n00b it behooves you to take it slow and steady.

I am quite the novice (I have done 9 laps, which to be fair, is ~110 miles ), but I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of what's coming up next and plan accordingly... I really don't know how to explain it any better.
      I wouldn't know about GT5 (is that a driving school? ), but I have driven my daily uphill run in the twisties here about 2,000 times. I still encounter unexpected scenarios and misjudge some turns and elevation changes enough to wake me up. Driving the Nürburgring the first few times would give me dragonflies - let alone butterflies - and I have driven the Autobahn at 160+km/h plenty of times, to the regret of my wallet.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-20-2012 09:05 AM #12
      Are you talking about the smiling, now, or the liquid stuff delivered by Schmitz trucks?
      The smiling... she was quite well behaved.

I wouldn't know about GT5 (is that a driving school? ), but I have driven my daily uphill run in the twisties here about 2,000 times. I still encounter unexpected scenarios and misjudge some turns and elevation changes enough to wake me up. Driving the Nürburgring the first few times would give me dragonflies - let alone butterflies - and I have driven the Autobahn at 160+km/h plenty of times, to the regret of my wallet.
      I know what you mean... You've just got to be ready I guess.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 09:14 AM #13
      I know what you mean... You've just got to be ready I guess.
      Sometimes you think you are ready, and then it just hits you.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 09:24 AM #14
      No problem, glad you like the pics.

It's a 2006 with an Eibach Pro Kit, which I found on Tire Rack of all places. It's actually Eibach springs with Sachs struts/shocks. I'm really happy with it, especially for the price. The tires are BF Goodrich KDW Sports on the OEM 17" ClassiX wheels. I'm quite happy with the combo- it's sporty enough when it needs to be and doesn't rattle my teeth out when driving on cobblestones.

This was the best steak I've had in Europe... The downfall to steak here would be the beef, it's AWFUL - this dish was made using Argentinian beef, a dash of salt/pepper and a super hot stone. There's not much to screw up!
      You know, I just put a bilstein/neuspeed set up in my gti and I have to say I am very, very happy with it. Your car looks sharp!

Ah, now it all makes sense, I never understood why beef in Europe is so tough... anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for posting all these pictures! I was in Germany a couple of years ago and just couldn't fit the ring into my trip... oh well! next time!

Vehicles
      2012 A6
      04-20-2012 09:26 AM #15
      2012 A6
      Need VAG-COM/VCDS PM me

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 09:27 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ErikGTI View Post
      Here are some of my pics from the Tourist Drive.

All I have to say about the decanter is that I already had had a few beers and there weren't any wine glasses left at our table. No one else wanted it and I wasn't going to let it go to waste .

R32. I think this may be someone from TCl.

Erik
      Hey, sometimes you have to improvise...

That R32 looks amazing... I don't know why, since it looks to be pretty stock on the outside...

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-20-2012 10:07 AM #17
      Sometimes you think you are ready, and then it just hits you.
      Yep and we've all seen the videos!

You know, I just put a bilstein/neuspeed set up in my gti and I have to say I am very, very happy with it. Your car looks sharp!
      Thanks, I'm quite happy with it.

Ah, now it all makes sense, I never understood why beef in Europe is so tough... anyone got any ideas?
      I think it's a different breed of cattle as well as what they are fed. US Angus beef commands a premium here actually...

Thanks for posting all these pictures! I was in Germany a couple of years ago and just couldn't fit the ring into my trip... oh well! next time!
      You've got to do it. I would highly recommend renting a prepped car from one of the local rental garages. Don't scoff, but that Swift was fantastic. My buddy rented a Stage 1 Swift for 160€. That was one hour with the car, insurance, fuel and two laps (52€ value alone). It's a great deal overall.

That's right!

That R32 looks amazing... I don't know why, since it looks to be pretty stock on the outside...
      It sounded great driving by... Gotta love the VR6!

Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      04-20-2012 11:02 AM #18

That's right lol.

I knew it was a VR6 before I even knew it was a R32. I was standing there freezing my ass off and I heard a familiar noise and I'm like "VR6? That's got to be a VR6." And I was right lol.

Erik

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-20-2012 11:23 AM #19
      That's right lol.

I knew it was a VR6 before I even knew it was a R32. I was standing there freezing my ass off and I heard a familiar noise and I'm like "VR6? That's got to be a VR6." And I was right lol.

Erik
      Nice ... so, I can't remember if we ever would've met up in Athens ... are you a recent Bobcat or one of old ... I was there from 2006-2010 ...

Vehicles
      Old World: 10 GTI , New World: 93 Corrado SLC
      04-20-2012 11:45 AM #20

Because they don't really do aging.

Vehicles
      00' BMW 528i
      04-20-2012 12:36 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Nice ... so, I can't remember if we ever would've met up in Athens ... are you a recent Bobcat or one of old ... I was there from 2006-2010 ...
      I'm a newer Bobcat, a junior right now. Started at the regional campus in Pickerington back in '09.

Erik

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-20-2012 12:54 PM #22
      I'm a newer Bobcat, a junior right now. Started at the regional campus in Pickerington back in '09.

Erik
      Ah, okay ... there was a pretty sizable VW community down there when I was at school ...

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike
      04-21-2012 03:21 PM #23
      I'll be renting next time. I think the poor Golf suffered too much, I'm leaning toward head gasket right now...

Pics when I get my head above water from work....
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-23-2012 04:55 AM #24
      One video that I took... SLS coming down through Brünnchen. Man, that thing sounds great!

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      04-23-2012 06:56 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      I'll be renting next time. I think the poor Golf suffered too much, I'm leaning toward head gasket right now...

Pics when I get my head above water from work....

I hope it turns out for the best.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi S4 6MT
      04-23-2012 07:34 AM #26
      I would highly recommend renting a prepped car from one of the local rental garages. Don't scoff, but that Swift was fantastic. My buddy rented a Stage 1 Swift for 160€. That was one hour with the car, insurance, fuel and two laps (52€ value alone). It's a great deal overall.
      Nonsense! No TCL'er would do that.

Credit to Shomegrown for posting this before.

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 10:50 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      I hope it turns out for the best.
      Thank you. This car has already exceeded my wildest dreams - lots of emotional baggage associated with Mk3 wagons for me. I may need to consult with you on the TÜV, though. I would really like to get it though in October, otherwise it might be Twingo time. Or cross your fingers, McD's is giving away Swifts right now; I already have approval to drop it at Rent4Ring for conversion if I win one!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
      Awesome video
      That cracked me up. Considering how much better a Swift is than my dear little Golf!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 11:10 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Thank you. This car has already exceeded my wildest dreams - lots of emotional baggage associated with Mk3 wagons for me. I may need to consult with you on the TÜV, though. I would really like to get it though in October, otherwise it might be Twingo time. Or cross your fingers, McD's is giving away Swifts right now; I already have approval to drop it at Rent4Ring for conversion if I win one!
      I know a shop in Köln that can get you through TüV with no problems - though I'm not positive a Düsseldorfer can get an inspection in another city like that, you'll have to clarify.

PM me if you need a recommendation.

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 11:11 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
      Nonsense! No TCL'er would do that.

Credit to Shomegrown for posting this before.
      I love that video.

(Oh man, imagine if we could get TCL as a whole out to the 'ring. Talk about entertainment!)

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      04-23-2012 11:13 AM #30
      fantastic post!

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-23-2012 11:15 AM #31
      I love that video.

(Oh man, imagine if we could get TCL as a whole out to the 'ring. Talk about entertainment!)
      Count me out!

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 12:03 PM #32
      Count me out!
      Pffft. C'mon. We'll get a cooler full of Wursts and a keg of Kölsch and hike up to the top of the Adenauer Forst and enjoy the carnage.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      04-23-2012 12:06 PM #33
      Pffft. C'mon. We'll get a cooler full of Wursts and a keg of Kölsch and hike up to the top of the Adenauer Forst and enjoy the carnage.
      Fine... I'm there!

Vehicles
      04-23-2012 12:41 PM #34
      I'm in for that. I'll bring my Riesling and a batch of warm, homemade Laugenbretzeln.

We had a bit of a preview of it - insert live-axle Mustang discussion here - and that was funny enough. I couldn't roll my eyes far enough back into my head.

The video reminds me of a co-worker who took his GT3 out, and was promptly scared into hardly driving it again. His wife is now its main driver...

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi S4 6MT
      04-23-2012 01:00 PM #35
      Oh man, imagine if we could get TCL as a whole out to the 'ring. Talk about entertainment!
      Are you kidding!?!?!? There'd be so many records* broken that day.

*Record numbers of car wrecks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast