Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SOLO-WERKS Coilover review thread for CC + DIY

Vehicles
      2013 VW
      05-08-2012 05:34 AM #36
      Looks good!

Wheels next, or are you keeping the 17's?
      '13 Tiguan S
      '13 Tiguan SE

2. Member
      05-08-2012 09:07 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
      Looks good!

Wheels next, or are you keeping the 17's?
      I'm looking at a few different 19" wheels, still haven't decided.. I'd say within the next 1-2 months i'll have wheels on there. Just haven't found anything I really like yet. 17's will be staying for winter use.

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3/2012 Prius HellaBrid
      05-14-2012 08:33 AM #38
      I recently installed these on my 2012 cc and I have some odd noise coming from the front at low speeds when going over steep bumps (speed bumps, etc.). I have taken the fronts out and verified that everything is tight and secured. It's not a clunking noise but it sounds like metal rubbing against metal.

Question for those that have this setup... These do not come with bump stops or dust covers, I did not use the factory ones because I did not see the need for it. Did you reuse the factory front bump stops? I don't think the factory dust covers fit. The only other thing I can think of is the shorter sway bar end links hitting or rubbing against something.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated... Are there any other DIY's for exactly this setup?
      08 Audi A3 APR Stage 3
      01 Audi A6 2.7T Stage 3 Custom E85 Tune SOLD!
      08 VW GTi APR Stage 3 SOLD!
      04 Audi A4 USP APR Stage 3 SOLD!
      04 VW GLi APR Stage 3 SOLD!

4. Member
      05-14-2012 12:26 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by RedATPGti View Post
      I recently installed these on my 2012 cc and I have some odd noise coming from the front at low speeds when going over steep bumps (speed bumps, etc.). I have taken the fronts out and verified that everything is tight and secured. It's not a clunking noise but it sounds like metal rubbing against metal.

Question for those that have this setup... These do not come with bump stops or dust covers, I did not use the factory ones because I did not see the need for it. Did you reuse the factory front bump stops? I don't think the factory dust covers fit. The only other thing I can think of is the shorter sway bar end links hitting or rubbing against something.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated... Are there any other DIY's for exactly this setup?
      Yea, you posted in the DIY for these exact coilovers.... made by me.

You need to re-use your bump stops, the dust covers do not go back on the front as they will create noises/rubbing problems. The rears you need to reuse your bump stops and the dust cover can go on the rear.

Did you install the strut mounts/bearings in the right direction? Are you sure the top nut on the strut is tightened down all the way?

If you are thinking it could be your swaybar, you would be able to jack the car up and see visible rub marks. How low are you?

Vehicles
      05-14-2012 01:35 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by njm23 View Post
      Yea, you posted in the DIY for these exact coilovers.... made by me.

You need to re-use your bump stops, the dust covers do not go back on the front as they will create noises/rubbing problems. The rears you need to reuse your bump stops and the dust cover can go on the rear.

Did you install the strut mounts/bearings in the right direction? Are you sure the top nut on the strut is tightened down all the way?

If you are thinking it could be your swaybar, you would be able to jack the car up and see visible rub marks. How low are you?
      I verified the strut mounts were installed with the arrows towards the inside of the car and that was not the problem... Now i'm thinking the strut mounts may be bad because I may have over tighten them... But at the same time it does not feel like that is the problem... Are the strut mounts that weak on these cars?
      08 Audi A3 APR Stage 3

Vehicles
      2013 VW
      05-15-2012 06:10 AM #41
      What do you mean you "overtightened the strut mount?"

When you put the top nut on the strut/coilover, you tighten it down until it stops.....shouldn't damage the strut mount.
      And then the 3 bolts that hold the strut mount to the strut tower....you can't really overtighten those either. If you did....you'd just strip out the holes on the mount.

How low are you though?
      It could be possible that your passenger side axle is hitting the frame. Check for wear marks
      '13 Tiguan S
      '13 Tiguan SE

Vehicles
      05-15-2012 11:14 AM #42
      What do you mean you "overtightened the strut mount?"

When you put the top nut on the strut/coilover, you tighten it down until it stops.....shouldn't damage the strut mount.
      And then the 3 bolts that hold the strut mount to the strut tower....you can't really overtighten those either. If you did....you'd just strip out the holes on the mount.

How low are you though?
      It could be possible that your passenger side axle is hitting the frame. Check for wear marks
      You do have a point, I was pretty upset when I wrote that and did not really think things through... The noise appears to be coming from the strut tower area and it has gotten progressively worse and very annoying. The guy from AMI has responded to their thread stating that they have 5 other customers that reported a similar problem. In the meantime I am going to try a few things to see if I can pinpoint where exactly the noise is coming from. Thanks.
      08 Audi A3 APR Stage 3

Vehicles
      2013 VW
      05-15-2012 08:33 PM #43
      Doesn't sound like it's the issue, but did you use new strut bearings when you installed them?
      '13 Tiguan S
      '13 Tiguan SE

9. Member
      07-23-2012 04:57 PM #44
      Update: The car is now slightly lower after almost a month of not having it (sunroof noise all fixed now..)

Put new wheels on it, and lowered it more. The rear still has a solid 1/2" and the front 1/4" but it rubs when cornering, so nothing changes until i roll the fenders.

The car, as low as it is, with a 225/35 tire on 19x9 wheel rides very well. There is virtually no "bouncing", and it takes bumps like a champ. I have zero complaints with these coilovers... It has been about 6k miles now. Overall impression so far:

Vehicles
      2013 VW
      07-26-2012 03:51 AM #45
      Looks REALLY good!
      '13 Tiguan S
      '13 Tiguan SE

11. Member
      07-26-2012 05:38 PM #46
      Looks REALLY good!
      Thanks, slowly making it's way to where I want it.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC
      07-27-2012 01:46 PM #47
      Wow lovin' those wheels. Great looking cc!

13. Member
      09-24-2012 02:41 AM #48
      Just an update, I have put 10k miles on these coilovers so far..

I have seriously ROCKED some pot holes, and drove all over NYC with 3 passangers and a loaded trunk with luggage.. All I can say is I have zero complaints. So far, more than pleased And this is all on a 225/35/19 tire that is on a 9" wide wheel..(stretched tire)

I have gotten some noises from them if they sat for a while after getting a beating on some rough roads and a heavily weighed down car like my NYC trip over labor day weekend, but it's like they had to "break" back in after sitting for a few days and the noises(creaking) would go away within a few miles.. So, zero complaints from me. They ride smooth, not bouncy.. I am happy

14. 09-28-2012 01:10 PM #49
      Car looks awesome man, just a question, how much lower do you have on the front and rear? I'm contemplating this set up on a mk3 Jetta.

15. Member
      09-28-2012 04:44 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by SwiftX View Post
      Car looks awesome man, just a question, how much lower do you have on the front and rear? I'm contemplating this set up on a mk3 Jetta.
      Thanks, appreciate it. In these pics, with all perches/helper springs/lock collars in, the rear has a solid 1/2-3/4" and the front had 2-3 threads. Granted they are 2 totally different platforms so never know how that will affect things. I lowered the front today a bit more, sits 1/8" lower now and that is bottomed out on the front. Still rides just as well as when I initially had them on with a good 3/4" thread left to go down.

Vehicles
      2010 CC Sport, White Gold, DSG
      10-08-2012 03:29 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by njm23 View Post
      Thanks, appreciate it. In these pics, with all perches/helper springs/lock collars in, the rear has a solid 1/2-3/4" and the front had 2-3 threads. Granted they are 2 totally different platforms so never know how that will affect things. I lowered the front today a bit more, sits 1/8" lower now and that is bottomed out on the front. Still rides just as well as when I initially had them on with a good 3/4" thread left to go down.
      njm, I'm guessing you still have your spring helpers in the front. I installed my solo werks coilovers yesterday, and i pretty much bottomed out on the front and the gap is still 2 fingers space. My friend and I double checked the installation and nothing went wrong. Was yours have that much gap space between tire and fender after installation? Or will it settle a lot?

**my friend said we could trim the helper springs since it's flatten spiral all around.** But i don't wanna do that.

Rear ones are good to go, i'm just concerned about the front. any input would be great. Thanks.

17. Member
      10-08-2012 03:38 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Epence View Post
      njm, I'm guessing you still have your spring helpers in the front. I installed my solo werks coilovers yesterday, and i pretty much bottomed out on the front and the gap is still 2 fingers space. My friend and I double checked the installation and nothing went wrong. Was yours have that much gap space between tire and fender after installation? Or will it settle a lot?

**my friend said we could trim the helper springs since it's flatten spiral all around.** But i don't wanna do that.

Rear ones are good to go, i'm just concerned about the front. any input would be great. Thanks.
      What you see above, is with the complete stock, un modified coilover system on the front. I am now bottomed out on the front, and you can see there isn't any gap. As well, my tires are actually a little smaller than stock tire sizes (the overall circumfrence compared to what the stock would be), meaning if I put the recomended tire size on it from factory would be even less of a wheel gap. Not sure what is going on with yours?

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 05:39 PM #53
      I'll snap a pic and post it later when i get home. maybe they just need to settle in..thanks for the reply.

Vehicles
      10-08-2012 11:53 PM #54
      This is when the car is on the ground...notice the 2-finger gap.

When i jacked up the car and inspect, everything looks fine. Notice it's bottomed out..

I asked my friend, and he said the Strut bearing arrow marks are correct. I guess i'll drive it more...the ride is pretty stiff, handling has improved though

20. Member
      10-09-2012 02:00 AM #55
      Woah, that is really weird. I never had a gap that large from the second I put them o. I was never to see my coilover up fornt from above the wheel, when I had 3/4" thread left I was barely able to see the coilover from the top of the wheel.. I would question first if everything was installed 100% properly. Do you have any pics of the whole car so I can see what the actual height is.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 03:45 AM #56
      i'll get a shot tomorrow.

Vehicles
      2013 VW
      10-09-2012 06:04 AM #57
      ^^^
      Is the strut ALL THE WAY down in the spindle

If you look from underneath...you'll see there is a lip that stops the strut from slipping thru the spindle/hub assembly.
      Make sure the bottom of the strut is sitting against that lip

Do you have pics of the struts assembled before you installed them?
      Last edited by snobrdrdan; 10-09-2012 at 06:07 AM.
      '13 Tiguan S
      '13 Tiguan SE

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 10:30 AM #58
      Now think about it, there is a yellow foam/rubber piece sits on each strut. Is that a stopper piece supposed to come off? I'm afraid the answer is a yes.... on myself...

24. Member
      10-09-2012 03:52 PM #59
      ^^^
      Is the strut ALL THE WAY down in the spindle

If you look from underneath...you'll see there is a lip that stops the strut from slipping thru the spindle/hub assembly.
      Make sure the bottom of the strut is sitting against that lip

Do you have pics of the struts assembled before you installed them?
      This.

Now think about it, there is a yellow foam/rubber piece sits on each strut. Is that a stopper piece supposed to come off? I'm afraid the answer is a yes.... on myself...
      Nope, that is your bump stop.. It is supposed to be there.

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 04:09 PM #60
      i dont have pics before installation. I just put them together, measure height on each side and put them on. I'll check it this weekend with my friend. Thanks for the point out.

26. Member
      10-09-2012 07:55 PM #61
      i dont have pics before installation. I just put them together, measure height on each side and put them on. I'll check it this weekend with my friend. Thanks for the point out.
      I'd still like to see a pic of the whole car, to see where it is sitting with them bottomed out.

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 12:06 AM #62

here's a shot of the front setup. Sitting pretty high..

28. Member
      10-11-2012 11:58 PM #63

here's a shot of the front setup. Sitting pretty high..
      Yea, that definitely isn't right... Something is wrong there. have you got in contact with the company you ordered through?

Vehicles
      10-12-2012 12:46 AM #64
      yea i did..i was able to contact Glen. He referred me a thread to look at. Here

I'm definitely taking care of it this saturday. In the mean time, driving slow, locally.

Vehicles
      10-14-2012 02:16 PM #65
      Just an update on the re-installation of front coilovers.

It's the sitting of the struts into the knuckles. They were not completely sat in. Glen@AMI pointed out along with reference. Great customer service and help!

Correct sitting

Everything's good now. Thanks to snobrdrdan pointing it out too!

31. Member
      10-14-2012 05:06 PM #66
      Awesome man! Glad to hear. I knew there HAD to be something wrong haha.

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta Gli VR6 (Sold) 2007 gti pkg 2 (Sold) 2009 CC Sport
      01-25-2013 01:54 PM #67
      Put new wheels on it, and lowered it more. The rear still has a solid 1/2" and the front 1/4" but it rubs when cornering, so nothing changes until i roll the fenders.

At this point with that much coil left, did you have helpers in and everything? How about the sway bar? I ordered these for my cc and am trying to decide what all i will have to tackle this next weekend when they get here.

33. Member
      01-25-2013 10:43 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Coty52 View Post

At this point with that much coil left, did you have helpers in and everything? How about the sway bar? I ordered these for my cc and am trying to decide what all i will have to tackle this next weekend when they get here.
      Nothing was changed in the suspension, completely stock setup, nothing removed. The only issue I ran into was the axle hitting the frame on the passanger side on bumps. But I also had the coils completely bottomed out before that started happening. So I notched my frame and took care of that.

Vehicles
      2014 VW CC R-Line
      01-28-2013 08:32 AM #69
      So all in all it seems that everyone is happy with the quality. Has anyone also had the higher end equipment in comparison? This will be my first time dropping but very decent roads in Phoenix.
      2014 VW CC R-Line

35. Member
      01-28-2013 11:22 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by dracer219 View Post
      So all in all it seems that everyone is happy with the quality. Has anyone also had the higher end equipment in comparison? This will be my first time dropping but very decent roads in Phoenix.
      Previous cars - VW with B&G's.. Audi with H&R ultra lows. I have owned some cars with "higher" end coilover's, and have virtually no complaints as of yet. I drive these things over absolute garbage roads in the tri-state area, pretty low too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast