Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My 20v Timeline And Build

Vehicles
      His: '08 B6 3.6 4mo Wagon Hers: '10 CC Sport 6MT + '03 GTI 1.8T/5MT
      05-07-2012 04:23 PM #36
      Hi Brad,

great write up so far, and a great deal of detail/cleanliness in your work. You've given me some good ideas and some questions. I didn't even know those parts existed for the 02j, so I may be picking those up in the future to try and "protect" her for as long as possible.

Hopefully I can see this car at some point this summer. With or without my jetta. Where is your filler for the rad system? I want to do something similar to your upper rad hose setup there. I already have the alum. housing on the side of the head too, it looks like to tapped it?

ps- the AEB looks so good without the solenoid mount on the side - much cleaner!

-Dev
      -Devin :: Bt/shaved bay Jetta, never running:: PART OUT THREAD
      :: B6 3.6 4MO Passat Wagon ::

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-07-2012 04:51 PM #37
      Hey Devin, I bought my whole AN setup from Velocity196, so what you see is how I got it, not sure if he had anything special done to it...

As far as my filler neck I was going to get a 16AN filler for it but no matter how I tried to route it, it just wouldn't work for me... The SEM is so damn big and the AN adapters on the radiator wouldn't allow for a descent run with where I'm routing the intercooler piping...

I bought an ECS carbon fiber strut brace new from a member on here, I think I'm going to chop it up and try to have a piece of aluminum in place of the carbon fiber and have someone tig weld my existing filler neck to it along with a couple 6AN males... then I'll take the 6AN line from the turbo return line and go up to a 6AN fitting that will be on it, and take the other male and go 6AN to the stainless line going into block by water pump.... We will see if it works out or not...

You have the same mindset as me as far as the 02J, just trying to keep it together as I already have a bunch of $ into it with the Peloquin LSD and the Clutchmaster FX400... Don't want to go 02M

I would also like to thank you for answering questions I have had during my wiretuck and other random questions I've had
      Brute 20mm Connecting Rods, ACL Bearings, Wiseco 83mm Pistons, FSI Crank, AEB Head, CatCams 3658, PagParts GT3076R Bottom Mount V-Banded Turbo Kit, PagParts Garret 550HP Core, VF Engineering Motor Mounts, SEM IM, Labonte W/M, 70mm TB, Tial Q BOV, Tial Wastgate, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Peloquin LSD, Clutchmasters FX400, 910cc Injectors, IE Surge Tank, Eurodyne with Maestro.... PAGPARTS Clear Water Dubs

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 05:56 PM #38
      Things do get tight in that area when you run a drivers side TB setup like us. Its good to know though, because an SEM is prob in my future. Ill be sure to build my setup being conscious of the size for when that day comes.

hope the strut bar - res works out for you I always wanted to block off a section of the rain tray with an alum cube and mount bulkheads on the firewall for a res.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. with the LSD, clutch, and other expenses thrown into that trans, id rather preserve it than spend all that money again on an 02m. Plus, I love the ratios with the 3076. It makes for great highway pulls. 2nd is prob my favorite gear.

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-07-2012 06:27 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by DBVeeDB View Post
      I always wanted to block off a section of the rain tray with an alum cube and mount bulkheads on the firewall for a res.
      That is a heck of a good idea there, than I wouldn't need my Moroso overflow catch can thing... The cube would be the same thing as the factory coolant ball, just use the moroso cap I have on it and keep everything in the rain tray... Now you have me thinkin It would work great for me as I don't have my ECU or anything up there in the center anyway
      Brute 20mm Connecting Rods, ACL Bearings, Wiseco 83mm Pistons, FSI Crank, AEB Head, CatCams 3658, PagParts GT3076R Bottom Mount V-Banded Turbo Kit, PagParts Garret 550HP Core, VF Engineering Motor Mounts, SEM IM, Labonte W/M, 70mm TB, Tial Q BOV, Tial Wastgate, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Peloquin LSD, Clutchmasters FX400, 910cc Injectors, IE Surge Tank, Eurodyne with Maestro.... PAGPARTS Clear Water Dubs

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 06:37 PM #40
      yep, and it would be close to the heater core line ports too, so it could tee in nicely to one of those hoses and be a lot less routing. it would ALSO be the highest point in the system, good for filling. It would essentially operate just like the moroso expansion setup ( im picturing tattoo24v's canteen looking thing) but just a custom version of it.

I just ran out of time as far as fab work went and abandoned the idea. you could have a cool little cap that protrudes from the plastic rain tray shroud as well, fill her up with the hood closed.

Vehicles
      2001 jetta, 1999 passat
      05-07-2012 06:40 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by One-Eight GTI View Post
      But they will not work at all on the lines in back by rear passenger side wheel where the lines come down where fuel filter used to be... And when I say they will not work I messed with it for a couple hours trying to force it on, I have bruised palms from doing it... I repeat they will not work, cant force it on enough to make it click

Gonna order one of these and see if they will work from Jegs here is the PDF on how they work
      http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...799-641300.pdf

Let me know how that other fitting works. I have the same issue with that jegs fitting as you did last week too. It is on there as good as I could get it but no click what so ever so I don't feel comfortable with it.

Build looks great to got alot of what I want to do going on.

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-07-2012 07:36 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by nebio_b5 View Post
      Let me know how that other fitting works. I have the same issue with that jegs fitting as you did last week too. It is on there as good as I could get it but no click what so ever so I don't feel comfortable with it..
      Yep it got shipped today so I'll let everyone know how it works... If it didn't click I wouldn't feel safe using it either, thats all you need is to be spraying gas out that line while driving

8. 05-07-2012 08:00 PM #43
      Nice work!!!
      Very Tastefully done!!
      Looks awesome

Vehicles
      05 GTI, 01.5 Audi S4 avant
      05-07-2012 08:17 PM #44
      never heard of vap motorsports till this thread so i thank you for that

and great build!
      Ohio State
      .::Stout Kraut::.

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-07-2012 08:17 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Twopnt016v View Post
      Nice work!!!
      Very Tastefully done!!
      Looks awesome
      Thank you

Vehicles
      16vt 2.0L MK4 Jetta Wagon | B6 A4 Avant
      05-08-2012 10:56 AM #46
      Got my IE reinforced clutch fork installed and Vapmotorsports pinion brace in... Figured i'd do whatever I can to help keep the 02J in one piece besides going crazy with different gears
      Looks like you had to grid a little material off the brace for the fork to clear. Am I seeing that right?

Also didn't know these items existed

edit: with a closer look at the part on their site, it now looks like the brace comes already shaped correctly to clear. another

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-08-2012 05:14 PM #47
      Yep elRey you are correct, it comes ready to pop on, nothing had to be done to it

13. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      05-08-2012 07:49 PM #48
      this thread

14. Banned
      05-08-2012 09:38 PM #49
      please note that some bellhousing are not the same, and that our brace needs a bit of trimming, nothing major, the important thing is that it sits flush and does not bind. Good luck rest of the way

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-08-2012 09:42 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by xtremvw3 View Post
      please note that some bellhousing are not the same, and that our brace needs a bit of trimming, nothing major, the important thing is that it sits flush and does not bind. Good luck rest of the way
      I lucked out than, as mine fit perfect,(I think) its close to the clutch fork but seemed okay

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-10-2012 07:45 AM #51
      Well this fitting didn't work fuel line doesn't have a tight fit to the o-rings that are in fitting... guaranteed to leak 799-644113

So ordered old faithful (Hootyburra said this one worked on his car) 799-640863

17. Banned
      05-10-2012 08:32 AM #52
      I lucked out than, as mine fit perfect,(I think) its close to the clutch fork but seemed okay
      it is always close to the fork but if it moves freely your fine i have not needed to trim that area.
      Always trim the brace to fit leave all the materiel from bellhousing intact since we need it

Vehicles
      337.sold 2.slow
      05-10-2012 08:44 AM #53
      Well this fitting didn't work fuel line doesn't have a tight fit to the o-rings that are in fitting... guaranteed to leak 799-644113

So ordered old faithful (Hootyburra said this one worked on his car) 799-640863

I will snap some pics of how I have it connected. I looped the lines together and primed the pump a few times, didn't see any leaks. I had to trim the upper plastic ring off so the fitting could slide on all the way.
      CTS 3076 kit, CTS 750hp FMIC, CM FX400, 2L, AEB, RMR IM, Raxles, Eurodyne, 870's...

Vag Scans, pm me

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-10-2012 08:55 AM #54
      Thanks Hooty. I already trimmed that little black plastic piece off trying to get the Jegs fitting to fit. Russel fitting will be here Friday

Vehicles
      337.sold 2.slow
      05-10-2012 09:53 AM #55
      Thanks Hooty. I already trimmed that little black plastic piece off trying to get the Jegs fitting to fit. Russel fitting will be here Friday
      Here is what mine looked like.

CTS 3076 kit, CTS 750hp FMIC, CM FX400, 2L, AEB, RMR IM, Raxles, Eurodyne, 870's...

Vag Scans, pm me

Vehicles
      05-10-2012 10:44 AM #56
      i just finished my setup the other night using the earls fittings that compress onto the plastic lines, but booty's is looking a lot more simple. nicely done. If my setup fails me when I test my system, I will surely go this route. its tighter than you realize in that stock wheel well/filter area.

Brad, dont take this as a thread jack, but I wanted to ask: Have any of you put thought into deleting the canister near the filler neck back in this area? There is a 3 wire sensor that runs to it, and since we already have evap off, im wondering if anyone has successfully delete this as well. Not sure if its needed though to allow the tank to vent into the canister. I know very little about how it all works.
      Last edited by DBVeeDB; 05-10-2012 at 10:58 AM.

22. Banned
      05-10-2012 12:02 PM #57
      Forgot to ask how was the install of new CAT Cams? straight forward like oem?

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-10-2012 01:13 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by xtremvw3 View Post
      Forgot to ask how was the install of new CAT Cams? straight forward like oem?
      Marc. I wish I had a reply to your question but I sent all the parts I bought from you to Arnold to have him build the head. Maybe if Arnold will chime in here and let both of us know

And Devin I have not ever looked into that idea at all. I just left my white evap lines hanging down there with a couple bolts In it to plug them up. And I dont feel like its a thread jack, just people sharing ideas so its all good
      Last edited by One-Eight GTI; 05-10-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Vehicles
      2001 jetta, 1999 passat
      05-10-2012 02:28 PM #59
      Sucks that other fitting didn't work. More money down the drain. I wonder how snug the 3/8 fitting will be?
      Last edited by Dameon; 05-10-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Vehicles
      GOLF IV WAGON 1.8T
      05-10-2012 03:21 PM #60

why not use these straight oem - they'll work, came from a seat ibiza... or is this just because the metal fuel-lines..?

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-10-2012 05:17 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by nebio_b5 View Post
      Sucks that other fitting didn't work. More money down the drain. I wonder how snug the 3/8 fitting will be?
      Yeah its a few more bucks down the drain, but hopefully other peole see this thread and know what fittings to use now

Quote Originally Posted by Pitty View Post

why not use these straight oem - they'll work, came from a seat ibiza... or is this just because the metal fuel-lines..?
      I cannot use them anymore Pitty, as now everything has to connect to 6AN, my fuel lines will be done Saturday

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-12-2012 11:28 AM #62
      Power steering relocate all done.. Bought a 1/2" to 8AN weld on fitting but the 1/2" was a little too big to fit snug around power steering return line so drilled it out with a 15/32 drill bit

now it sits nice and snug around the pipe so used Staybrite 8 and soldered it on.... We use this stuff sometimes in refrigeration piping, holds alot more pressure than my power steering will ever produce and same as heat...

got it soldered on

Installed my 8AN to 6AN reducer

And final hookup

Had to relocate my resevoir from previous pics as it got in the way of intercooler piping

Now to finish my fuel lines

05-12-2012 11:48 AM #63
      Pimp!

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI; 05 VW Jetta GLI 5857BT
      05-12-2012 12:33 PM #64
      Damn, thats pretty nice and clean.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

30. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      05-12-2012 01:57 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by schwartzmagic View Post

^^ what he said.. nice job so far

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-12-2012 02:20 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by T-Boy View Post
      Pimp!
      Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by dubinsincuwereindiapers View Post
      ^^ what he said.. nice job so far
      Thanks Jeff I mean Phil

32. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      05-12-2012 02:22 PM #67
      Might be able to keep up with my Veyron now breh:p

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-12-2012 02:32 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by dubinsincuwereindiapers View Post
      Might be able to keep up with my Veyron now breh:p
      Maybe If I can get a good tune I'll probably have Marc at Vap help me out with that so I don't have to bug Arnold

Got my IC pipes cut and hacked and going to the Tig welder tomorrow, used some parts from CXRacing and cut apart Arnolds original IC piping I ordered a few years back with my kit..

I'll get the WM bung welded on there also so I can use that this year... Also have him fix my intake pipe that has been broken for awhile so no more Zip Ties holding it in place

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI; 05 VW Jetta GLI 5857BT
      05-12-2012 03:04 PM #69
      Also have him fix my intake pipe that has been broken for awhile so no more Zip Ties holding it in place
      I need to have my welder buddy do the same. My IC pipes are all messed up. Zip ties ftw!

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-12-2012 03:10 PM #70
      I need to have my welder buddy do the same. My IC pipes are all messed up. Zip ties ftw!

I sold my AWW head to a guy locally that had bent valves and I asked him if he knew anyone in the area that TIG welded, and he said his neighbor does, the guy is retired but back when he worked full time he welded for a living... Now he does stuff out of his garage for some spending cash... Will post pics when it gets done, dropping it off tomorrow, not sure if he will get it done tomorrow or not...

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast