05-13-2012 03:14 AM #71
      Good stuff going on here. Glad to see you're from MN too
      Pushing 20V at a time

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-13-2012 08:20 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8T_Guy View Post
      Good stuff going on here. Glad to see you're from MN too
      Thanks Man... I need to get this thing done so I can enjoy it while its summer, in a couple months we will have snow again

What software are you running??
      Last edited by One-Eight GTI; 05-13-2012 at 08:34 AM.
      Brute 20mm Connecting Rods, ACL Bearings, Wiseco 83mm Pistons, FSI Crank, AEB Head, CatCams 3658, PagParts GT3076R Bottom Mount V-Banded Turbo Kit, PagParts Garret 550HP Core, VF Engineering Motor Mounts, SEM IM, Labonte W/M, 70mm TB, Tial Q BOV, Tial Wastgate, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Peloquin LSD, Clutchmasters FX400, 910cc Injectors, IE Surge Tank, Eurodyne with Maestro.... PAGPARTS Clear Water Dubs

Vehicles
      mkiv gti (killed) mkiv .:r32 (unicorn sh!tbox).
      05-13-2012 10:58 AM #73
      @j__cermak <-- (double underscore).

Vehicles
      His: '08 B6 3.6 4mo Wagon Hers: '10 CC Sport 6MT + '03 GTI 1.8T/5MT
      05-13-2012 12:56 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by One-Eight GTI View Post
      I sold my AWW head to a guy locally that had bent valves and I asked him if he knew anyone in the area that TIG welded, and he said his neighbor does, the guy is retired but back when he worked full time he welded for a living... Now he does stuff out of his garage for some spending cash... Will post pics when it gets done, dropping it off tomorrow, not sure if he will get it done tomorrow or not...
      I need to find an old man welder in my neihgborhood haha.
      -Devin :: Bt/shaved bay Jetta, never running:: PART OUT THREAD
      :: B6 3.6 4MO Passat Wagon ::

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-13-2012 01:35 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by DBVeeDB View Post
      I need to find an old man welder in my neihgborhood haha.
      Yeah dropped my pipes off to him a few hours ago.... He will get them welded this week, pretty nice guy, he has a couple airplanes in his shop/garage one is fully funtional and the other he is building... Can't wait to see how they turn out
      Brute 20mm Connecting Rods, ACL Bearings, Wiseco 83mm Pistons, FSI Crank, AEB Head, CatCams 3658, PagParts GT3076R Bottom Mount V-Banded Turbo Kit, PagParts Garret 550HP Core, VF Engineering Motor Mounts, SEM IM, Labonte W/M, 70mm TB, Tial Q BOV, Tial Wastgate, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Peloquin LSD, Clutchmasters FX400, 910cc Injectors, IE Surge Tank, Eurodyne with Maestro.... PAGPARTS Clear Water Dubs

Vehicles
      1995 Saturn SW1
      05-13-2012 03:46 PM #76
      good thread
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This thread is now about car cakes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Things I learned today: You don't have to pass grade 12 English to Manage a Honda dealership.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8T, 06 GTI
      05-13-2012 05:43 PM #77
      Thanks Man... I need to get this thing done so I can enjoy it while its summer, in a couple months we will have snow again

What software are you running??
      Damn right. LOL.

As of right now, my GTI is down and I just got a newborn. So it will be down even longer. I'm currently running APR stg 2 reflash. Still debating if I should continue building the BT setup or just go back to stock turbo.
      Pushing 20V at a time

8. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      05-13-2012 05:48 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8T_Guy View Post
      Damn right. LOL.

As of right now, my GTI is down and I just got a newborn. So it will be down even longer. I'm currently running APR stg 2 reflash. Still debating if I should continue building the BT setup or just go back to stock turbo.
      Finish it while you still can. Kids are cheap while they're young. Don't stop now, or you wont have the opportunity again for quite some time. My 2¢

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-17-2012 07:33 PM #79
      Fuel lines done

Just waiting for welder to call me with my intercooler pipes... Also have to figure out something still for a filler neck/resevoir for the coolant

Vehicles
      2001 jetta, 1999 passat
      05-17-2012 10:03 PM #80
      How snug was the 3/8 fitting? Looks like it is coming together. I like how you secured the lines under the car that good thinking.

11. 05-18-2012 01:32 AM #81
      How much are we looking at so far? $$$$$

and when can we hear it?

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-18-2012 08:02 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by nebio_b5 View Post
      How snug was the 3/8 fitting? Looks like it is coming together. I like how you secured the lines under the car that good thinking.
      I just broke the original clips and grinded them round that held the old fuel lines in place... holds them good... Not sure about your question on how snug the 3/8 fitting???

Quote Originally Posted by MK420TH92 View Post
      How much are we looking at so far? $$$$$

and when can we hear it?
      $$$ for this year or everything??? I lost track anyway, its better to loose track so you can honestly tell the wife I have no clue how much I have in it
      I wish I could post a vid of how it sounds now I hope within a couple weeks, I'm crazy busy at work

Vehicles
      2001 jetta, 1999 passat
      05-18-2012 08:54 AM #83

So ordered old faithful (Hootyburra said this one worked on his car) 799-640863

Sorry, this is the fitting I am talking about. The description says 3/8 to 1/2 lines. Does it seem snug or tight enough when attached to the stock fuel line?

14. 05-18-2012 02:31 PM #84
      I just broke the original clips and grinded them round that held the old fuel lines in place... holds them good... Not sure about your question on how snug the 3/8 fitting???

$$$ for this year or everything??? I lost track anyway, its better to loose track so you can honestly tell the wife I have no clue how much I have in it
      I wish I could post a vid of how it sounds now I hope within a couple weeks, I'm crazy busy at work
      Just wondering how much it was for the fully built engine. Planning to do something like this myself later on in the future once i save up some cash. And post some vids once you get a chance. Ill be monitoring

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-18-2012 05:08 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by nebio_b5 View Post
      Sorry, this is the fitting I am talking about. The description says 3/8 to 1/2 lines. Does it seem snug or tight enough when attached to the stock fuel line?
      It is actually for our 5/16ths factory lines and goes to 6an, it fits perfect

Quote Originally Posted by MK420TH92 View Post
      Just wondering how much it was for the fully built engine. Planning to do something like this myself later on in the future once i save up some cash. And post some vids once you get a chance. Ill be monitoring
      Brutes 20mm $480
      ACL coated con rod bearings $60
      ACL main bearings like $100
      overbore head gasket $100
      misc seals maybe $100
      3658 Cams around $650
      FSI crank $800
      Wiseco Pistons $600
      ARP mains $100
      ARP head studs $200
      valve Guides $10 each so $200
      Valve seals cant remember
      Supertech Ex valves $260
      Supertech intake $240
      IE spring and retainer kit $650
      Machine work for block $300 (can't remember for sure as machinest when it was all done owed me because of overbore)
      Arnold assembled head like 4-500 can't remember for sure
      Hydro lifters can't remember
      new oil pump ??
      non vvt tensioner ???
      used AEB head $350
      And other Misc stuff like lube ect
      Hope that helps I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff

16. 05-19-2012 05:47 PM #86
      ^^^ damn... that a lot.. i got a a lot of saving up 2 do.

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-20-2012 10:05 AM #87
      Well still waiting for my IC pipes so got bored and made a bracket to hold dipstick tube down so when I remove my dipstick the tube doesn't come with it

I have some mad fabbing skills

Vehicles
      1989 Helios GLI 1997 Mk3 ****box
      05-20-2012 12:07 PM #88
      Here is an interesting article i found about braided lines

Do You Smell Gas?
      By John McLelland

We've had reports from customers who have had the experience of opening their garage door and being assaulted by the strong smell of gasoline. Their first impulse was to check if gas was leaking from the vintage muscle car or street rod parked there.
      The gasoline odor seemed strong enough to cause worry about a potential explosion. After opening the hood, checking the carburetor, fuel pump, fuel filter, rubber fuel lines, and then moving back to the gas tank, no leak sources could be found. The next step toward solving the problem involved disconnecting the line from the fuel pump to the carburetor. Again, no obvious leaks. Further examination revealed that the hose appeared to be letting fuel vapors pass right through its walls. The exterior of the hose felt moist and a finger rubbed along its length smelled strongly of gasoline. This phenomenon is called permeation, and its presence absolutely rules out the use of common rubber fuel lines in any modern hot rod application. Vapor permeation, as it is officially termed, happens because today's unleaded pump gas, with myriad additives, creates vapors that can eventually pass right through the walls of rubber fuel hose. Permeation could involve older vintage street rods, muscle cars, and trucks where standard fuel hose or high performance stainless braided rubber hose was installed originally when pump gas was not as unfriendly to rubber as it is today. Many of these hoses have now been on the cars for several years and could cause some severe permeation issues. Most modern, unleaded fuels are blended with 10% ethanol along with countless additives and harsh detergents to keep fuel injectors clean and emission levels down.
      There are at least 23 different blends of gasoline being sold in the United States so it's impossible to know what fuel is coming out the pump at any given time, or how it's affecting the fuel hose. One thing is for sure, the pump gas of today is harmful to the old nitrile rubber fuel (SAE30R7) hose, originally rated for low-pressure (up to 50 PSI) and used on every passenger car and truck into the '80's. Even many high performance braided stainless reinforced hoses use nitrile and are subject to the same deterioration and permeation rate (passing 30 times more hydro-carbons than SAE30R9fuel injection hose).This is especially true when the fuel stagnates in the hose for a long period of time (like it does in seldom driven street rods or muscle cars). Availability of replacements for old stock factory nitrile rubber hose is limited. The only hose replacement found is the fuel injection (SAE30R9)hose, readily available, and suitable replacement hose at a modest cost. These hoses retain the "stock factory look", but are chemically engineered for modern unleaded pump gas, and E85fuels. Be careful of lower cost, so-called budget brands. Hoses manufactured "across the pond" can look the same as USA made stainless steel branded hose, but with no Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)in place to monitor standards, the stainless steel braid may not be bonded or extruded correctly through the rubber, the hose bore may not be concentric or of even thickness which will eventually result in vapor permeation, not to mention ballooning and leakage or failure, especially at the fittings. These days it's difficult to tell just where any aftermarket hoses are really manufactured. There are numerous private label brands on the market. Carefully research each hose product before making any purchases. Most companies have recommended I.D. and 0.0 hose specifications and these are important when purchasing the correct hose ends. Spending less now, might hurt your pocket book later.
      Almost all of the manufacturers we contacted are either making permeation proof hose or working on development of same. All highly recommended the use of Teflon" (PTFE) hose to be sure of eliminating the permeation problem. Although not as flexible as rubber hose, Teflon" hose definitely keeps vapors contained. (NOTE: aluminum hard line can also be used in place of rubber or braided hose.)
      Keep in mind that once any hose has been installed, preventative maintenance is the key to long term elimination of the vapor problem. Also, it might be wise, if storing a car for long periods of time, to purge the fuel system completely.

*Teflon is a registered trademark of Dupont
      Last edited by Dave926; 05-20-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-20-2012 03:42 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave926 View Post
      Here is an interesting article i found about braided lines
      Very interesting, I guess we will find out if that happens to me, otherwise it might be a representative promoting Dupont teflon

Got intercooler pipes back today from the welder

No more broken tab, pretty beefy now on my intake pipe

Got a bung welded on for my Water/meth, just gotta get it tapped for the nozzle

Now just have to go fit it up, cut bumper apart some more and then get these to the powder coater

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-20-2012 07:12 PM #90
      Bumper fits, the pipes look okay in there, had to trim out alot to get them to fit, I think I need an R32 bumper

I still need to get a resevoir and filler for my coolant and want to mount it somewhere above brake ABS controller and by the Catch can, any suggestions would be great, wes gonna use some leftover 2.5" IC piping I have leftover and weld a couple 6AN fittings on there and a filler neck, and run the coolant return line from turbo to that res and from there go to the return line going into block

Thanks for looking

05-20-2012 07:45 PM #91
      Clean as hell!

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI; 05 VW Jetta GLI 5857BT
      05-21-2012 08:35 PM #92
      Looking good.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-22-2012 06:11 PM #93
      Thanks for the kind words guys

Where can a guy source these connectors??

Injector Connector Adapter, Bosch Jetronic EV1 to USCAR EV14

There pretty cheap on Eurodynes Website but if you factor in shipping its rediculous, 70 bucks for shipping is a bit much

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-22-2012 07:05 PM #94
      Forget the last question Arnold is gonna get me some

Vehicles
      1989 Helios GLI 1997 Mk3 ****box
      05-22-2012 07:15 PM #95
      If your willing to re do your harness, in pretty sure those are the same plugs gm used on their sunfires. On my 16vt I scored a set of cobalt ss stage 1 injectors, and had to use a harness from said sunfire.

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-26-2012 09:40 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave926 View Post
      If your willing to re do your harness, in pretty sure those are the same plugs gm used on their sunfires. On my 16vt I scored a set of cobalt ss stage 1 injectors, and had to use a harness from said sunfire.

Thanks Dave but I got my harness adapters yesterday from Arnold over at PPT....

Well 35 yrs old today going into garage to bleed brakes with Motive power bleeder, install injector clips and finish with wiring this thing up... Dropped off my IC pipes and coolant res off to powdercoater so should have them next week, if all goes well hopefully firing this thing up next weekend

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      05-26-2012 11:59 AM #97

Build looks amazing!

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-26-2012 12:20 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Issam Abed View Post

Build looks amazing!
      Thanks Issam, appreciate it, looking forward to finally using the SEM and 70mm that have been collecting dust over the last year

29. 05-26-2012 01:17 PM #99
      Looks good-The ic pipes+tb and mani look clean. I love the your driver side setup. I have an rmr+hemi tb passenger side and things get freakin crowded over there.

Vehicles
      2004 GLI 02M; 1997 Ford F-150
      05-26-2012 07:12 PM #100
      This is such a nice build! Love the attention to details.
      Please vote for a Maestro Tuning Sub-Forum!
      PM me for Bentley repair manual PDF.

Vehicles
      BMP20th/00 chevy tahoe
      05-26-2012 07:58 PM #101
      those welds are really impressive you lucked out
      20th Build ~9:5:1 wiseco 81mm forge pisons~IE 20mm rifle drilled H beams~Calico rod bearing~stock port AWP head matched to a IE intake manifold~hemi throttlebody~Custom downpipe/turboback~Self maestro tuned~tial 38mm wastegate~GT3076r .63ar Vband~6 puck Clutchnet~PTE600~USRT 1000cc gen2's~044 IE surge assembly~IE fuelrail~fuelab adjustable FPR

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-28-2012 05:49 PM #102
      Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Budsdubbin View Post
      those welds are really impressive you lucked out
      Yeah there pretty damn good welds, he has been welding for 35 yrs so I was hoping they were going to be good... Its nice to have a local welder that can weld aluminum now

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      05-31-2012 05:49 PM #103
      Got my pipes and coolant res back from powdercoater this afternoon

has finger prints on the res but will look good in bay

Vehicles
      His: '08 B6 3.6 4mo Wagon Hers: '10 CC Sport 6MT + '03 GTI 1.8T/5MT
      05-31-2012 09:48 PM #104
      coating looks great Brad, and god does it get addicting. have you tried connectoing the BOC to that flange since it is now coated? hopefully it seals well. Just a thought. keep it up.

and I will do my best to get you an update as well. I am just about to head back into the garage for a bit.
      -Devin :: Bt/shaved bay Jetta, never running:: PART OUT THREAD
      :: B6 3.6 4MO Passat Wagon ::

Vehicles
      01 GTI 1.8T
      06-01-2012 12:09 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by DBVeeDB View Post
      coating looks great Brad, and god does it get addicting. have you tried connectoing the BOC to that flange since it is now coated? hopefully it seals well. Just a thought. keep it up.

and I will do my best to get you an update as well. I am just about to head back into the garage for a bit.
      Yeah Devin everything sealed up nicely with the BOV that I can tell anyway... I already have well over 40 in this week so gonna have a nice Friday in the garage Gotta finish making the bracket for the Res, already got the pipes mounted and hooked up, so getting there

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast