Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IL 2013 Acura ILX First Drive

1. 04-20-2012 12:08 AM #1
      First Impression:
      It's more of a Jetta replacement than a reborn Integra, but a quality cabin, a well-damped ride, above-average fuel economy and realistic pricing should ensure the ILX finds its buyer.

Although the ILX is efficient and lightweight like the Acura Integra, the ILX is a more polished sedan for grown-ups. It has a well-damped ride, an upscale interior and plenty of electronics to placate smartphone users. It's priced sanely, too, with a base MSRP of $26,795.

It's the kind of small car you enjoy driving to work more so than wringing it out on a back road. And while that's not exactly what old-school Honda guys want to hear, the ILX marks a return to the less-is-more philosophy that defined Acura in its early years.

The 2013 Acura ILX is close in size to the Buick Verano and Volkswagen Jetta, but company officials don't consider either of those cars key competitors. Instead, they have their eyes on the Audi A3, Volvo S40 (well, whatever latent demand it left behind when Volvo discontinued it) and Lexus CT 200h.
      http://www.insideline.com/acura/ilx/...rst-drive.html
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

04-20-2012 12:24 AM #2
      I wish Acura luck and while it isn't a bad looking car at all you are retarded if you buy this car for any reason other than an amazing low price.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-20-2012 12:28 AM #3
      Maybe someone that really loves Civics but wants something fancier.

Lolz.

Vehicles
      03 A4 1.8tqm, 03 24v turd (RIP), 84 GLI, 91 Maxima SE 5M
      04-20-2012 12:36 AM #4
      So this is the EL replacement, essentially. Coming down to U.S. this time? We'll see how this goes. If you think about it, the current civic is the size of the original TSX, one could consider this a proper TSX replacement (far cry, I know) with the 2.4 and a manual box...

04-20-2012 01:25 AM #5
      Thread needs photos:

2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT - Ibis White / Black
      2006 Audi A8 L 4.2 Quattro - Brilliant Black / Amaretto
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC - Black / Black

6. Member
      04-20-2012 01:28 AM #6
      Watch the Acura get it's ass kicked by the "not-really-a-competitor" Buick. All the gripes about the Jetta are also gone with the GLI, and that is also smack dab in this price range.

Vehicles
      Lexus Hybrid, '14 Smart
      04-20-2012 01:29 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      I wish Acura luck and while it isn't a bad looking car at all you are retarded if you buy this car for any reason other than an amazing low price.
      Well it has HIDs, runs on regular(?)......and an amazing low price!(I think)

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-20-2012 01:30 AM #8
      how about a video too, albeit not from edmunds.

Vehicles
      B7 Audi A4 Quattro
      04-20-2012 01:37 AM #9
      I'd much rather have the new GLI over this. However, I'm looking forward to seeing the final production version of the new A3 sedan. May potentially be my next car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Past: 1999.5 GTI, 2009 Jetta, 2009 Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Roketdriver View Post
      Toyota is kind of like the Black Eyed Peas. The majority of their product line is cars for people who don't like cars.

Vehicles
      Lexus Hybrid, '14 Smart
      04-20-2012 01:42 AM #10
      Acura probably doesn't consider this the ILX's competition, but I like this and probably cheaper?

HID's-Check
      LED's-Check
      Regular Gas-Check
      Manual availability-Check
      Hatchback-Win!

11. 04-20-2012 02:48 AM #11
      If Acura is truly replacing the TXS with this, they might have just shot themselves on the foot. The 2.4 is actually more than a base TSX. Less car for more money, yeah that will work.

Vehicles
      1997 Mazda Miata, 2006 Subaru STi
      04-20-2012 03:42 AM #12
      I could see it selling in decent numbers, and if the Acura nameplate isn't doing too well with D-segment sedan buyers, why not move down? Honda left a hole in their lineup when they decontented the 2012 Civic.

Really don't like the center console though, looks cheap and out of place:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      You just saved 15% or more on Valentime's day by switching to friendzone.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-20-2012 03:54 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Maybe someone that really loves Civics but wants something fancier.

Lolz.
      If only you knew how many CSXs are rolling around here...

Vehicles
      Weekday sports car, weekend sports car, and a suburban homeowner special
      04-20-2012 07:28 AM #14
      Didn't Acura kill off the Integra/RSX because they wanted to move the brand upmarket? I guess that didn't work out so well.

15. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      04-20-2012 08:02 AM #15
      ILX

04-20-2012 08:09 AM #16
      I like the cheap exhaust.....

I don't understand the target buyer here. Non car people who just fancy a small sedan with premium badge even if it comes with inferior content to cheaper cars....Oh but these buyers also don't consider Buick premium or just an older person brand. And sports cars and Mustangs are ugly and gas guzzling. And german cars are unreliable can't be trusted. Only Japan builds quality cars that run forever.

Ok found the ILX buyer I guess.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 04-20-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Vehicles
      02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      04-20-2012 08:16 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Acura probably doesn't consider this the ILX's competition, but I like this and probably cheaper?

HID's-Check
      LED's-Check
      Regular Gas-Check
      Manual availability-Check
      Hatchback-Win!

[img]http://mazdasite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/2011-Mazda-34.jpg[img]

The beak vs the grin lol

Reading (skimming through) the article I kept getting the impression they were trying to say its boring without actually saying it

18. 04-20-2012 08:29 AM #18
      It's astonishing how fast and far Honda has fallen. This car, with a revvier engine and a sophisticated suspension could have carved out a niche for itself in this marketplace as the Integra did. Now it's just a me-too player in an increasingly crowded space. It's not a bad looking car, but it definitely seems like it's no Integra. And that is a huge missed opportunity.

Vehicles
      '14 Audi S4 / '13 Infiniti G37
      04-20-2012 08:29 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
      how about a video too, albeit not from edmunds.
      Kid gloves press-kit review.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      04-20-2012 08:38 AM #20
      It's not a bad looking car, but what I don't understand is how does this fit with the TSX in existence? It's not much smaller, and not much cheaper. Where is the incentive to buy this over a base TSX?

Yikes, nevermind...I see the base trim is up to 30k now...

21. 04-20-2012 08:49 AM #21
      Design cues to me are Mercedes's pontoon fenders and BMW's Bangle - just smoothed out.

I guess it gives it "character", but not for me.

22. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      04-20-2012 08:52 AM #22
      At $27k, I have to assume that the ILX only comes fairly loaded. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lower trim model in Canada with cloth seats and such, like with the previous EL and the current TSX.

It would be interesting to see a hatchback variant. That would truly distinguish the Acura from the Civic, and would be a viable competitor for cars like the A3 and Lexus CT.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      04-20-2012 09:06 AM #23
      I was really interested in this quasi-new segment with small luxury when I was shopping around. However it seems they all fall a little flat in terms of offering any kind of sporting luxury for the price point. LED's and HID's are nice features but I don't want to fall asleep while at the wheel of a complacent car. Made me realize if I didn't want to shell out money for a well equipped A4 S-Line or Regal GS Turbo then I should stick to a mainstream brand for my enthusiastic side.

Vehicles
      Porsche & Honda
      04-20-2012 09:29 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      If Acura is truly replacing the TXS with this, they might have just shot themselves on the foot. The 2.4 is actually more than a base TSX. Less car for more money, yeah that will work.
      It isnt a replacement for the TSX. It slots below the TSX. They will be sold side by side. Later down the pipeline both the TL & TSX are being replaced by a car that slots between them in size called the TLX. At that point there will be an ILX/TLX/RLX. The ILX should have the new engines by then as well.

The TSX and TL are both on 5 year life cycles. So i'm guessing the TSX will be around for one more model year (2013). Their replacement is due for the 2014 MY.

Lastly, the 2.4 is cheaper then a base TSX...although not by much and still overpriced imho. $30,095 vs $30,905...and a 6-Speed TSX (apples to apples) has an MSRP of $31,905. $1,810 more then a 6-Speed ILX.
      Last edited by a2a4raddo; 04-20-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      04-20-2012 09:35 AM #25
      Being a temporary hybrid owner myself, I have to wonder who would drop $30k+ on that version.

I tried to watch the video, but:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      04-20-2012 09:37 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      It's astonishing how fast and far Honda has fallen. This car, with a revvier engine and a sophisticated suspension could have carved out a niche for itself in this marketplace as the Integra did. Now it's just a me-too player in an increasingly crowded space. It's not a bad looking car, but it definitely seems like it's no Integra. And that is a huge missed opportunity.
      I totally agree. However, when equipped with the 2.4 liter (revs to 7500) and the six speed manual, this could very possibly be a fun little car to drive around.

2.0 liter 150 hp with an autotragic is a far-cry from 2.4 liter 200 hp with a six speed manual.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

27. 04-20-2012 09:45 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      It's not a bad looking car, but what I don't understand is how does this fit with the TSX in existence? It's not much smaller, and not much cheaper. Where is the incentive to buy this over a base TSX?

Yikes, nevermind...I see the base trim is up to 30k now...
      Well in order to increase sales, they are replacing the TSX (you know, their volume seller), with the ILX. They are then going to shrink the TL back to old TL size since the boat/beak look didn't pan out. So really, for all intents and purposes, this IS the new TSX (kind of like the current TSX basically replaced the TL as the volume seller when the TL grew bigger/uglier).

This back and forth and general lack of direction pains me as a Honda fanboy. Ito really needs to go.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      04-20-2012 09:48 AM #28
      No split digital speedo dash is a step up from Civic.
      :gift:

29. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      04-20-2012 09:50 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      Well in order to increase sales, they are replacing the TSX (you know, their volume seller), with the ILX. They are then going to shrink the TL back to old TL size since the boat/beak look didn't pan out. So really, for all intents and purposes, this IS the new TSX (kind of like the current TSX basically replaced the TL as the volume seller when the TL grew bigger/uglier).

This back and forth and general lack of direction pains me as a Honda fanboy. Ito really needs to go.
      Volume seller? The TL and MDX both outsell the TSX. Admittedly, the TSX and TL are pretty close.

Edit: Just noticed that Acura separates the TSX sedan and wagon in sales, so the TSX does indeed outsell the TL. Still, the MDX is the most popular Acura.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 09:51 AM #30

Well that's a damn shame. Hopefully the new TL/TSX reverts back to a modernized mid-2000s look.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-20-2012 09:57 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      Well that's a damn shame. Hopefully the new TL/TSX reverts back to a modernized mid-2000s look.
      I don't even mind the beak on the ILX and RDX. At least it makes sense and doesn't look like a bagel slicer. It's a shame too because the current TL is a really good car spoiled by being **** ugly.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 10:00 AM #32
      I don't even mind the beak on the ILX and RDX. At least it makes sense and doesn't look like a bagel slicer. It's a shame too because the current TL is a really good car spoiled by being **** ugly.
      Yeah, I don't mind the current TSX either. Just worried that it'll be screwed up even more as a TSX/TL mashup.

33. Swallow Doretti
      04-20-2012 10:01 AM #33
      Meh. I never thought I'd say something like this, but this new ILX seems like a strong argument for the Dodge Dart.

34. 04-20-2012 10:05 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      Volume seller? The TL and MDX both outsell the TSX. Admittedly, the TSX and TL are pretty close.

Edit: Just noticed that Acura separates the TSX sedan and wagon in sales, so the TSX does indeed outsell the TL. Still, the MDX is the most popular Acura.
      I know the MDX sells the most, but I was talking about sedans and should have clarified. I think the difference was much more pronounced when the new TL was first introduced and people hadn't yet been (partially) desensitized to the beak. The MMC saw the toning down of the beak, so I would imagine sales have increased.

I forget the figures, but when the new TL intro'd it took a massive dive in sales. Partly the looks, and partly the increased price. The TSX moved up in price to presumably be the new volume sedan.

I guess what leaves me scratching my head is the fact they've finally built the TSX name (somewhat) and have had it out for two generations. Why didn't they just admit their error, downsize the TL back to what it was last gen, and make the ILX the new TSX? Why intro a new name and have to build brand recognition all over again?

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 10:07 AM #35
      Why intro a new name and have to build brand recognition all over again?
      Well, that has been Honda's forte with the Acura brand ever since the beginning.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast