VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: IL 2013 Acura ILX First Drive

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      04-20-2012 09:37 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      It's astonishing how fast and far Honda has fallen. This car, with a revvier engine and a sophisticated suspension could have carved out a niche for itself in this marketplace as the Integra did. Now it's just a me-too player in an increasingly crowded space. It's not a bad looking car, but it definitely seems like it's no Integra. And that is a huge missed opportunity.
      I totally agree. However, when equipped with the 2.4 liter (revs to 7500) and the six speed manual, this could very possibly be a fun little car to drive around.

2.0 liter 150 hp with an autotragic is a far-cry from 2.4 liter 200 hp with a six speed manual.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      #fakerich Honda
      04-20-2012 09:45 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosbius Designs View Post
      It's not a bad looking car, but what I don't understand is how does this fit with the TSX in existence? It's not much smaller, and not much cheaper. Where is the incentive to buy this over a base TSX?

Yikes, nevermind...I see the base trim is up to 30k now...
      Well in order to increase sales, they are replacing the TSX (you know, their volume seller), with the ILX. They are then going to shrink the TL back to old TL size since the boat/beak look didn't pan out. So really, for all intents and purposes, this IS the new TSX (kind of like the current TSX basically replaced the TL as the volume seller when the TL grew bigger/uglier).

This back and forth and general lack of direction pains me as a Honda fanboy. Ito really needs to go.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      04-20-2012 09:48 AM #28
      No split digital speedo dash is a step up from Civic.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      04-20-2012 09:50 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      Well in order to increase sales, they are replacing the TSX (you know, their volume seller), with the ILX. They are then going to shrink the TL back to old TL size since the boat/beak look didn't pan out. So really, for all intents and purposes, this IS the new TSX (kind of like the current TSX basically replaced the TL as the volume seller when the TL grew bigger/uglier).

This back and forth and general lack of direction pains me as a Honda fanboy. Ito really needs to go.
      Volume seller? The TL and MDX both outsell the TSX. Admittedly, the TSX and TL are pretty close.

Edit: Just noticed that Acura separates the TSX sedan and wagon in sales, so the TSX does indeed outsell the TL. Still, the MDX is the most popular Acura.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2014 Mazda 6, 2015 Chevy SS
      04-20-2012 09:51 AM #30

Well that's a damn shame. Hopefully the new TL/TSX reverts back to a modernized mid-2000s look.
      King for President.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-20-2012 09:57 AM #31
      Well that's a damn shame. Hopefully the new TL/TSX reverts back to a modernized mid-2000s look.
      I don't even mind the beak on the ILX and RDX. At least it makes sense and doesn't look like a bagel slicer. It's a shame too because the current TL is a really good car spoiled by being **** ugly.

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 10:00 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I don't even mind the beak on the ILX and RDX. At least it makes sense and doesn't look like a bagel slicer. It's a shame too because the current TL is a really good car spoiled by being **** ugly.
      Yeah, I don't mind the current TSX either. Just worried that it'll be screwed up even more as a TSX/TL mashup.
      King for President.

8. Swallow Doretti
      04-20-2012 10:01 AM #33
      Meh. I never thought I'd say something like this, but this new ILX seems like a strong argument for the Dodge Dart.

Vehicles
      #fakerich Honda
      04-20-2012 10:05 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      Volume seller? The TL and MDX both outsell the TSX. Admittedly, the TSX and TL are pretty close.

Edit: Just noticed that Acura separates the TSX sedan and wagon in sales, so the TSX does indeed outsell the TL. Still, the MDX is the most popular Acura.
      I know the MDX sells the most, but I was talking about sedans and should have clarified. I think the difference was much more pronounced when the new TL was first introduced and people hadn't yet been (partially) desensitized to the beak. The MMC saw the toning down of the beak, so I would imagine sales have increased.

I forget the figures, but when the new TL intro'd it took a massive dive in sales. Partly the looks, and partly the increased price. The TSX moved up in price to presumably be the new volume sedan.

I guess what leaves me scratching my head is the fact they've finally built the TSX name (somewhat) and have had it out for two generations. Why didn't they just admit their error, downsize the TL back to what it was last gen, and make the ILX the new TSX? Why intro a new name and have to build brand recognition all over again?

Vehicles
      04-20-2012 10:07 AM #35
      Why intro a new name and have to build brand recognition all over again?
      Well, that has been Honda's forte with the Acura brand ever since the beginning.
      King for President.

Vehicles
      #fakerich Honda
      04-20-2012 10:07 AM #36
      The TSX is going away largely because the Accord is becoming a global car (i.e. no more Euro accord to base the TSX on). I just don't understand why they'd toss the name aside. Just make the ILX the new TSX.

12. 04-20-2012 10:08 AM #37
      Really sad how far Acura has fallen. Not only is the ILX pretty mediocre as a vehicle, the pricing puts it in the company of WAY smarter purchases... I think universally, the Hyundai Sonata Limited is priced right on top of the ILX variants, and IMO you get a much nicer vehicle - and its at least a size-above. Acura may not want to say so, but the Buick Verano IS a competitor and (as others said) pretty much blows the ILX out...

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      04-20-2012 10:54 AM #38

ACURA ... Just bring back the tooling for this car and re-release it ... it'll be a HIT, just like it was the last time. People still LOVE this car (as do I) ... the only thing that would make it better is if you took the Type-S platform and mated the 3.5L with a 6speed transmission and SH-AWD ... you'd have a A4/S4 killer in a great looking package.

Is it just me or does this car still not look dated ... very timeless.

Vehicles
      Rovers and German buffet
      04-20-2012 05:52 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      Meh. I never thought I'd say something like this, but this new ILX seems like a strong argument for the Dodge Dart.

There's some serious truth to that statement!

Vehicles
      Rovers and German buffet
      04-20-2012 05:53 PM #40
      The TSX is going away largely because the Accord is becoming a global car (i.e. no more Euro accord to base the TSX on). I just don't understand why they'd toss the name aside. Just make the ILX the new TSX.
      Mutiny would ensue. As an ILX no 150hp (weak) waves are made.

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      04-20-2012 05:59 PM #41
      its just too boring

17. Member
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 05 R53, 81 W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      04-20-2012 06:04 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      I agree. A loaded turbo Dart for less $$$ looks a much more atractive buy than this.

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      04-20-2012 06:26 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubDriver View Post
      Kid gloves press-kit review.
      totally agree. I posted more as an FYI, so we can see how it looks in motion.
      I just don't see Acura selling to many of these.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      04-20-2012 06:30 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post

ACURA ... Just bring back the tooling for this car and re-release it ... it'll be a HIT, just like it was the last time. People still LOVE this car (as do I) ... the only thing that would make it better is if you took the Type-S platform and mated the 3.5L with a 6speed transmission and SH-AWD ... you'd have a A4/S4 killer in a great looking package.

Is it just me or does this car still not look dated ... very timeless.
      I still think to myself when coming across one of those, "wow, what a great looking car". It's a massive shame that they've strayed so far from that design.

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      04-20-2012 07:46 PM #45
      I forget the figures, but when the new TL intro'd it took a massive dive in sales. Partly the looks, and partly the increased price. The TSX moved up in price to presumably be the new volume sedan.

I guess what leaves me scratching my head is the fact they've finally built the TSX name (somewhat) and have had it out for two generations. Why didn't they just admit their error, downsize the TL back to what it was last gen, and make the ILX the new TSX? Why intro a new name and have to build brand recognition all over again?
      Personally I always thought the naming scheme of TL and TSX was confusing. Two sedans both starting with "T" (not like "T" meant anything in Acura's nomenclature) yet one going against the grain of Acura sedan nomenclature and using the "SX" suffix which had previously been reserved for coupes seemed odd. No rhyme or reason at all. The new system at least makes more sense. TL and RL are established names and the X might be used to imply AWD. Too bad the ILX doesn't have that option.

As far as price goes, I'm conflicted. Clearly it looks overpriced compared to the Verano, and whether Acura likes it or not that's its main compeition at the moment. I don't consider Acura much higher up on the brand cachet scale than Buick. And I'd imagine the A3 sedan will start around where the 2.4 does. But on the other hand, I can see Acura not wanting to dip too far down in price like the Verano for fear of brand dilution and I think there's something to be said about that. After all, Buick isn't trying to sell a $50k RL and a $100k NSX in the upcoming future. But Acura could have gone the middle ground and provided a lot more feature content for the price they are asking to look better against the Verano and A3.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2000, '05 MDX, '06 Accord EX-L
      04-20-2012 07:49 PM #46
      Between this car and the RDX this is going to be a very, very good year for Acura dealers.
      You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a millionaire.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 335i x-drive
      04-20-2012 08:02 PM #47
      I think this will be a strong seller for Acura personally.

People just like to hate on them because it's the 'cool' thing to do around here.

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      04-20-2012 09:35 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Prail11 View Post
      I think this will be a strong seller for Acura personally.

People just like to hate on them because it's the 'cool' thing to do around here.
      Or, it could be that this is a Civic platformed, boring snoozefest with rehashed Civic engines?

Not many Honda guys even like it, some do, but there seems to be a pretty good split.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      Lexus Hybrid, '15 Panda Smart
      04-20-2012 09:37 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      This is a candidate for my next car.

Vehicles
      2012 S4, 2008 TurboX, 2006 S60R, 2004 R32, All 6MT-AWD!
      04-20-2012 10:35 PM #50
      A Honda really!

The bastardization and degradation of the Acura
      badge has now begun in earnest.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast